Converting Hammacher Schlemmer cheapo trike

Hehe... The Waaay To Low" (cheap) look.

Oh goodie. On Instructibles site "Takedown Recurve Bow - Home made":
http://www.instructables.com/id/Takedown-Recurve-Bow-Home-made/

(Thinkin' about bolting under frame/legs for added "kick" on accelerations re front wheel spun by bow cord tensioned by pedaling backward while stopped. Hehe A real "whip snapper" sotosay maybe. "Assist" to my motor assist.)
Bow.jpg

BTW, have been encouraging folks re riding w/cameras, but also snapping a pic of vehicle w/last known location:
Saint_Nicks.jpg

This earlier today on a visit to the house of Saint Nick (St. Nick Church in vicinity). This before wandering off and leaving the "odd vehicle" unattended. And unlocked.

So, one BontRager wheel on back, W/ new tube. (Not in pic, 2nd "Mr. Toughy", w/3rd wheel to go also.)

Lost supplied flag v.soon, so hope flying DANGER yellow plastic streamers ain't too scary. (Or too much "bling", or something.)

(Also in pic, two shopping bags lashed/over back of trike seat. With misc. stuff - thoughts in progress - in one bag.)

Hehe... Speaking of "thoughts in progress". Length of yellow plastic polyprop rope to "lash" my wheels (two back wheels). Think "car tire snow chains":
SnowWheel.jpg

(Sorry if this already posted elsewhere on ES.)

... versus using tire studs, rope might be easier to fix/maintain AND stuff super cheap per foot. An advantage maybe w/moving to "only" 1.75 width tires versus supplied/worn out 2.125". More room for thin polyprop line under fenders. Also thinking bettery pack weight now TOO MUCH weight to "noodle-y/wobbly" front end of trike - at least, where cells (weight) mounted inside case AND at current front basket height. Rope also yellow in colour re viz.

So now thinking mounting batt/batt case aft, behind pilots chair.

(ED: Sorry. Meant to say above "cyclists seat" or something.)

Well HMMM... Rec'd a cheque today for $449.85US from Hammacher Schlemmer `cause of this:
HS_frame.jpg

Was toodling along about 2 weeks ago, came off sidewalk to cross side street (sidewalk slopes down near pavement surface) and SNAP. Had a friend look at trike and suggest a couple of spot welds were... suspect. But had plenty of fun riding my "high speed wheelchair", so plan to have weld... re-welded, or at least frame strengthened to get back rolling again. So while HS no longer carries this trike at least they did come through re "Lifetime Guarantee". (Must run cheque to bank in A.M.)

Now back to regularly scheduled ES programming. (Onwards and upwards re Bettery-Electric contraptions.)

PS. Plans (other than repair) still include 1) friction drive front wheel, 2) spanker sail and 3) rear bow pulled by pedaling backwards and released at "GO" to add "extra kick" at startups and "lock" back wheels better re high speeds rollover "drifting". Etc.

Hehe... Amusing maybe to read Denisons of Alt. Reality Planet ES tap re "Gyroscopic effect and hub motors"
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46938&p=687276

Was thinking (earlier in thread) about stringing a bow, used to store up energy for release... shortly. An "assist" to the "assist" for snappy starts (so to speak).

NOW thinking, instead of pulling a bow as energy storage (underneath frame of recumbent trike) try a spare wheel and tire etc that I have. (Note to self: Look up high weight foams)

Idea is to USE "gyroscopic effect" to assist starts, but then to also stabilize forward directional stabilities (aka "help you steer and maintain side balance"). And trade off having to travel with a weighted spinning wheel underneath adding weight to vehicle. (Did I mention already this Hammacher Schlemmer machine lacks steady steering?)

Oh oh. Frame to ground clearance takes a hit. Hmmmm....

CGXY7c6VIAA9uFj.jpg

Hehe... Local add features similar trike to my "wheelchair" (but my front wheel pedaled/spun so as not to spill drinks, etc.)

Just posted on the Meetup (TM) website forum. But maybe file this post as "covering all the bases":

Subject: Recumbent "Cruiser Bike" tricycle stolen

Sometime yesterday evening/night out of the backyard at 1667 Kingston Road (south side, east of Victoria Park Ave.)

For a disabled guy, basically my "wheelchair".

Thing is, it's mostly "non-standard" bicycle frame and parts.

Trike frame itself colored Orange. Front wheel original/worn 20", two back wheel tires already replaced w/Bontager 16" (now slightly worn also). Tire tubes "armored" w/internal "Mr.Tuffy" tire liners.

Front black alum. basket/handbars installed but have not yet added lights, sound signaling, Cycle Analyst, etc.

In riding this trike around Toronto this trike (flying flags on front and orange pole on back flying/streaming yellow plastic "Danger" strips) has been seen by MILLIONS of folks probably...

Looks like this:
11079_380x380.jpg

Thousands of folks have seen my trike "up close":
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57408­

Edited by Rock on Jul 7, 2015 11:43 AM

Toronto, Canada Sales?

Lock Hughes
Today at 8:21 AM

To

sales@asaproducts.com

Hi. Actually bought one Mobo "Cruiser" last summer. Disabled old guy used it as his "wheelchair" to travel sidewalks all over Toronto. HUGE FUN with TONS of positive comments ("Cool bike", etc.) UNFORTUNATELY (for me) it was STOLEN off my back yard just two nights ago. (Grumble, grumble) I'm in the process currently in figuring out how I can reorder to have it/a new one shipped to me in Toronto. First one bought from US supplier Hammacher Schlemmer, who shortly thereafter discontinued sales of for some crazy reason.

Anyway, while I spent the last few decades as an accountant I did also walk away from a local college with a Cert. in Marketing (shortly before it became a degree-granting "university").

So my "sneaky" way to "sell" your trikes is rentals, with trikes sold off each year to reorder "freshies". I am currently living on the edge of an affluent community "The Beaches" in east Toronto on the edge of Lake Ontario with miles of off-road pathways all along the waterfront.

So I hope to import/sell LOTS of Cruisers in lakeside communities all over Ontario.

BTW, it's the "Dutch" in me maybe, but my Mobo was Orange-colored.

Hope to hear back from ASA!

Cheers
Laughlin ("Lock") Hughes
Toronto

EDIT: Note I didn't mention offering a conversion kit. Hehe

Right. Lets start again. (Chuckle chuckle snort snort)

Restart.jpg

Received today, same trike, different supplier. Same colour orange. (Kinda stuck on orange. For visibility, hot sun, and maybe the Dutch too. On account of that nation seems already part of the hopelessly ebike addicted.)

Congrats, L0ck! I am glad you were able to get another. I look forward to your problem solving for the electric part.
otherDoc

Hehe... Found another... situation in a reread of the owners manual in "fine print" in the WARNINGS: itemized full page of legal-speak. As very last item after all above blazing obvious scenarios have caused you to fall asleep or turn the page already:
* Rear wheels are designed not to be parallel to each other. Please do not attempt to adjust them.

(I've added the emphasis/colour here otherwise manual text all in black type.)

Rear wheels NOT PARALLEL? Must investigate. :roll:

Seen here:
http://www.mobocruiser.com/FAQ_s/52.htm
Q: Why are the wheels on Mobo cruisers angled a certain way?
A: They are angled a certain way, and not parallel, for improved steering mechanism and to avoid the Mobo from tipping over.

Hmmm... At first was thinking Toe In/Toe Out. Hmmm... (Not sure ES Bible has EVen broached this subject before.)

Maybe camber like the old VW bug rear wheels. Negative camber (bottom of wheel spread more than tops?) My wife's Sun USX trike is like that and it is very stable. She rides like she drives (bat outta hell).
otherDoc

Probably the camber. I want to do that to the SB Cruiser, too, but at present it won't work cuz the way the trike rearend I started with works. Gotta build a different rearend first.

Haven't measured camber yet, but local police on the job today. Go "pulled over" (riding on the sidewalk antique poop-mobile style) today. My "problem" maybe is new ride same colour as "missing" trike. Same streamers flying as pole and steamers were removed from missing trike. But "I can explain Officers" and could provide a couple of details not obvious from look-alike picture they already has. So I regretted bothering these folks. Wrote their Sarg. Debra in part:
So if you could please let officers know? "Distinguishing features" for my "lost" trike include tire tube valve caps black plastic replaced with shiny silver metal caps and frame repaired by welding at back. (Grey anti-rust paint.) And of course that black aluminum handlebar/basket on front on the "lost" trike not replaced... yet.

Just hate to see officers interrupted with much better things to do! Were I "King of Canada" I would put the name of any parent of a child found guilty of a serious crime in a basket. Then once a year, draw one "winner". To be thrown off a cliff. Hehe

(Horrible thought, I know. But it's to make folks think twice about parenting.)

Cheers
Lock

So. Anybuddy here wanna gamble? Would ya buy a ticket for the lottery to guess the winner for the annual "Dumb Parenting Toss Award"?
:twisted:

`Been thinking "velomobile"-style lately. Something like...
gear060315_car-shaped-coffin.jpg

(Solar panel hinged for access/egress. Recent political election left plastic chloroplast signs all over the neighborehood to use to fabricate the shell/covering.)

WELL DANG! Last night - night of November 25-26 - my Orange, nearly new, replacement ASA Products Mobo Triton recumbent "cruiser" trike taken from my back yard AGAIN. :cry:
Police report already filed and have been mentioning to neighbours and area bike shops.

(BTW. Stole my trike back from the thief. Turned out doctors have labeled the poor guy as "autistic".)

More on adding a friction drive:
[youtube]6JkpryxaR8E[/youtube]

Schwalbe16_1.jpg

Well, well... Yah learn something new EVeryday. "One of These Things is Not like the Other"? Yes kids, one "16 inch" Schwalbe Marathon tire is NOT like a Bontrager 16" tire... or like a Kenda 16" tire. Sure, narrower in width a bit, but (hugely) oversized when laid alongside the Bontrager and the Kenda???

HAD hoped to offer these Schwalbe Marathons HS 420s in the conversion kit/add on bits-in-the-box being developed by Phoenix:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60564

Featured funky stuff like the "highly elastic GreenGuard layer" and white walls. Basically tired of wearing out the No Name back tires as supplied, multiple tube flats... At about $50 Beaver Bucks a pop (odd expression). EVen had to "special order" these things. Oh well. Returned to local shop today to exchange for... something else. TBA

Hey L0ck! The term "16 inch" has at least 3 sizes.

1. 305 mm
2.349 mm (European 16 inch tire
3. 355 mm (usually for those little folding bikes like Birdy)

American is 305mm and it actually fits American 16 inch wheels. I've got 'em on the front of my Steintrike. Lowers the trike and makes it handle better. The European so called 16 inch wheels lasted a month or so.

Oh what fun!
otherDoc

ACK! Pedaled yesterday to local bike shop downtown that advertised a "Recumbent Open Day" with TWO different recumbent trikes on hand to try. ("Their only stock at this moment.")

A bit... surprised to find their "nicer" trike (seat suspension, etc) was retailing for about $14,000CDN! With plenty of add on extras... for more money. [insert gasp here]

... and the "cheaper" one was selling for $12,000CDN!

Now DEF. gotta figure out how to mod. this trike to make it safe at higher speeds. "Road worthy", etc.

(Seems adding more drink holders will be the easy bit.) Phew

Well there's something ya maybe don't see EVery day...
Gorilla_tape.jpg

Today, tired of replacing worn out tires, tried wrapping the two back wheel tires with black "Gorilla Tape" (TM):
51jL7cfxBnL.jpg

(Not my hand in picture.)

But after only a few miles of use on pavements...

Plan B now to search out bottles using HDPE that I can slice up into long strips to wrap the tires in as seen on those funky sliding "drift" trikes:
6987529_neat-homemade-drift-trike-customization_8976cefe_m.jpg

TBA
:)

as one of those guys who rides a powered drift trike (electric powered, modified Verrado), try going to a large pipe fittings, or plumbing supply place and ask if they have any scrap 400mm HDPE. That's the closest to 16" you can get, and you'll likely have to keep the pressure high on the tire to keep such a small piece of pipe in place. With that said...

You REALLY do not want to do this on the setup you have. Your steering for that trike is from the rear wheels, since the wheels aren't parallel you will be "drifting" all the time causing wear on that part. BUT, the biggest issue is that you are GREATLY reducing friction on your steering wheels. If you try to take any turn over a certain speed, that rear end is going out on you, and since you can't turn your front wheel (like I can on my drift trike), you are suddenly going to be heading in an unsafe direction, quite fast...

Unless you can vector the thrust, you need to keep your friction coefficient for those rear wheels relatively high. Because of that, the wear on them will be high as well.

Back