Converting Hammacher Schlemmer cheapo trike

Tks! ... errr... "gelroos"? I'm actually regularly passed by joggers. The odd person on a "mobility scooter". So not worried about speed so much. (More worried about spilling my drinks.) Good thought re scrap 400mm HDPE! Must investigate...
L

ahh, ok. Sorry, just used to everyone being a speed nut. At those speeds you should be fine with HDPE, it is "stickier" than PVC and wears much longer. And I can feel you, I used to commute on the drift trike 4 miles, each way, for a while and the looks I got were priceless.

SN is from a rather obscure character from the Forgotten Realms books in the late 80's/early 90's. Gelroos Hun'ett, also known as the Faceless One. When you factor in the fact I do Computer Security for Foreign Exchange and Banks, it made sense to 16 year old me in 1990 when I was hacking ;)

Ya know? Lacking any chain or gearing, at first was thinking to add a friction drive to the front wheel/tire...

But now I'm thinking of a large toothed belt (think "chain") to drive a *really* large gear on front. Like José Meiffret used in 1962, but in reverse:
file.php

Seen here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8099&p=521085#p521085

So. Anybuddy here got a spare/used/extra large gear maybe? Hehe...

:mrgreen:

Suspect I'll have to machine the thing myself... Wonder watts the largest toothed belt I can get?

Yah know? Once upon a time, before I escaped "employment", I worked in a motor shop for an electrical contractor...

And they repaired and installed variable speed drive belted transmissions... Like this sorta thingee:
15.png

The teeth on the belting were actually wooden blocks bolted to the underlying belt, finished with (replaceable) leather tips that EVentually wore out/needed replacing.

Hmmmm...

Earlier in this thread:
LockH said:
Well there's something ya maybe don't see EVery day...
51jL7cfxBnL.jpg

So. Wadda you do when this "tough" tape wears out (I ride about every day)?

Tape.jpg

... slap some more tape on there. (Bought wider stuff this time also.) Object here is to stop keep wearing out/replacing rear tires. This "Gorilla" tape stuff IS cheaper and faster just to stick another length on... over and over...

In another thread here, "Phoenix Ebike Promotions" - me - is trying to develop a conversion kit of bits for this trike:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60564

... so at least might add a roll (or two) of Gorilla tape to "chuck in the box". :)

so youre using tape as the tire tread because its been worn down? never heard of that. cant you just get a thicker tire? if it works it works I guess but I'd think it would increase rolling resistance.

"... increase rolling resistance." Good point that I haven't thought about. Can guess any change is "negligible". Ride the trike about daily and stick another layer of tape on about weekly. (Got a large role of tape so plenty left/still to go. Cost about $10 for the whole roll versus any 16" new tire price.) Maybe might actually LOWER RR once there's a bit of snow on the pavements. :)

im rolling resistance obsessed coming from the bike racing world. Theres a big difference between tires and tubes and equates to substantial wattage lst. the thinner and more supple the better.

LockH said:
Target of Ebiker lust seen here:
http://www.hammacher.com/Product/Default.aspx?sku=11079&promo=Toys-Games-Ride-On-Toys&catid=249

A "The Three Wheel Recumbent Cruiser".

11079_380x380.jpg

Have on hand now borken trike w/front-wheel hubbie. Controller, 48V Li batt and case, CA V.3, etc., etc. (EG might be able to use metal pedals plus leather foot straps. Dunno about height of pedals re spurs.)

Hammacher Schlemmer is a name I would trust (I suspect/trust those sneaky Germans).
William Schlemmer, whose name will come to be associated with a landmark New York City store and America's longest-running catalog, is born on April 20, 1841 in the Westphalia region of Germany.

So, right now, on that site, Price $399.95 (I suspect US, not Beaver Bucks, but not THAT much diff these daze). Plus wattEVer.

So... Possible conversion for some half-dead old crazy mad white guy/ebiker? ("Look Ma! No chain!") And sandles optional of course (at riders optional small added expense).

Tks all!
L

PS. Plus too new Ebiker rebel flag, of course.

That catalog company is still existent? They sold $300 umbrella's once.

4LivesPerGallon said:
That catalog company is still existent? They sold $300 umbrella's once.

Hehe... Yeah, I'm still getting catalogues... although they dropped the MOBO from their selection. [grumble grumble]

... and they can be kinda spendy. Witness their solar velomobile:
http://www.hammacher.com/Product/Default.aspx?sku=12486&refsku=11963&xsp=2&promo=xsells

... at current "Price $9,900" (plus freight?)

versus the Elf Solo from Organic Transit:
http://organictransit.com/product/elf-solo/

Currently "$6,995.00–$7,894.95" ... w/lots of fun add ons...

Broken_Bolt.jpg

Well there's something ya don't see EVery day... The bolt attaching one steering handle snapped. Extra nuisance `cause usually I can use this handle to rest my forearm on (usually covered/drapped w/one of more gloves to pad the top to rest on).

Anyway. Dropped off at LBS today to "fix" with an order for extra bolts, tire fenders, rubber gaskets to seal wheels, axle/bolts... etc. Like to have spares handy plus have bits not to order in the "box of stuff" from Phoenix Ebike Promotions:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60564

`Kay... Lets try this AGAIN:
file.php

AGAIN, my last one "appropriated"... Lacking gearing and chain, not EVen legal on roads... Many/most parts don't fit any "regular" bike/trike (in/around these parts, in southern Ontario, Canada). One local police suggested these are taken for steel scrap value. [SIGH... grumble grumble]

HAVE a cable lock now (and record time for chewing through w/a portable grinder is?), but STILL planning to get a GPS Tracker to bury in the seat... On theory, better to catch a thief than to deter. :wink:

This thing/trike is old/antique/vintage/stone age/etc pedal-only. WAS thinking friction drive via front tire... now leaning towards carbon belt drive... And STILL gotta figure out how to mount "bells and whistles" like a BLDC motor, Cycle Analyst, sound signaling devices... a Li-Ion battery... An alarm that sounds when light shone on ground from underside moves an inch...
More drink holders, ashtray, etc, etc. And still wanna try a rear sail as an assist to the assist. ("But Officers... It's for visibility...")

:wink:

Back