Core laminate insulation

hallkbrdz

100 W
I need to insulate laminates to make prototype coil cores. I think this is my best bet to apply a thin layer quickly. What do you use?

IMG_20230907_213601__01.jpg

If you're not using typical lamination material (silicon steel, etc) that already has a coating, you could dip them all in CoronaDope, even as a unit if you like (it's designed to soak down into windings, etc, so as long as the lams are not pressed tightly together it will probably find it's way in there). I've only used CD to repair transformers and motors and inductors, not to build them, but it should serve the same job.

The linked material probably works too, but I have not used that.

There are other materials that could be used, too.

I don't recall what APL used in his various axial flux designs in his motor thread.

I looked at the CoronaDope, but it appears to be rather thick and brushed on. I also looked at double-stick kapton tape, but that makes for a rather thick insulator as well. I also considered just using metal etching primer which I think should work fine for ~50v peak.

For this prototype POC I am using laser cut A36 steel in 0.76mm layers from sendcutsend as getting silicon steel cut is rather expensive at around $100 each in volumes of 100 for bonded laminates (8 per motor), let alone for just a few for testing. I put in a suggestion with SCS to stock a couple of silicon steels I listed, which would make this all easier for makers.

Last edited:
Back