Corsa Mammoth E conversion

reynstorm

1 µW
Hello All,

Newbie here looking for support and advice.

I don't know much about common sizes of crank shafts, rims, sprockets, etc. I obviously can measure what I have, but could stumble on things like: is a rear axle measured from axle end to axle end, or the space between rear frame. I also don't have the terminology down yet, so bear with me.

I am an electrician and an electric RC hobby enthusiast. I have also ridden dirt bikes and motorcycles all my life (44yrs) so I think I can handle a build, but would like to keep it as simple as possible, i.e. no frame cutting/welding.

I am located on Ascension Island, South Atlantic (shipping to Patrick AFB, FL). It is a tiny little volcanic island in the middle of nowhere between Africa/South America. Lots of sand, steep hills/mountains filled with volcanic cinders(1/4" pumice pebbles), rocks and boulders not to mention the constant 15 knot wind.

I have a new Corsa Mammoth Fat tire bike that I want to convert to electric. The AWD's coming out seem very cool, but are probably a bit complicated for me as I cant head to the local bike shop and have them lace some spokes on my new hubs/rims. With what research I have done, I am trending towards bafang mid drive with a 48v 15 to 20ah lithium triangle pack.

Firstly, Do you think this is a good choice of main components? I think most kits come with controller/display and batteries often come with a charger.

Secondly, if these choices are good, will they fit my bike and or do I need to make a specific option choices that I am unaware of?

Could you advise me of any parts and pieces I will need in addition to main components that are not included yet required to complete the build (I don't want to need a disc brake shim or some odd part and have to wait 3wks/mo. because of my location/shipping wait time). Torque arms are on my radar.

Lastly, reputable vendor references with knowledge and support would greatly appreciated. Right now em3ev is who I'm leaning towards right now, especially for the battery. And holy cow, a build list would be awesome! :mrgreen:

Please don't hesitate to request specific measurements or pictures of my bike and thank you in advance for all help and thank you endless sphere for having a place to pose my questions.

Very nice fat bike to start. The torque arms will be a good choice since it is an alloy aluminium frame.

It all depends of what performance are you looking for. We start from a rough terrain and power thirsty bike :eek:

reynstorm said:
I have a new Corsa Mammoth Fat tire bike that I want to convert to electric. The AWD's coming out seem very cool, but are probably a bit complicated for me as I cant head to the local bike shop and have them lace some spokes on my new hubs/rims. With what research I have done, I am trending towards bafang mid drive with a 48v 15 to 20ah lithium triangle pack.

Firstly, Do you think this is a good choice of main components? I think most kits come with controller/display and batteries often come with a charger.

Is a good choice, powerful potential. But I would analyse closely kits with displays included, that kits use to come with weak controllers, and that will be a determinant component on your build because you need a plenty solid amps to face all the energy losses.

reynstorm said:
I am located on Ascension Island, South Atlantic (shipping to Patrick AFB, FL). It is a tiny little volcanic island in the middle of nowhere between Africa/South America. Lots of sand, steep hills/mountains filled with volcanic cinders(1/4" pumice pebbles), rocks and boulders not to mention the constant 15 knot wind.

48V will give you the right speed, now you need to choose the right controller. You need between 20A to 30A to feed a minimum of 48V 1000W motor to have a reasonable agile ride. Sand, steep hills, and fatty tires are a strong combination to beat.

reynstorm said:
Secondly, if these choices are good, will they fit my bike and or do I need to make a specific option choices that I am unaware of?

Could you advise me of any parts and pieces I will need in addition to main components that are not included yet required to complete the build (I don't want to need a disc brake shim or some odd part and have to wait 3wks/mo. because of my location/shipping wait time). Torque arms are on my radar.

The rim lacing is not as easy as common 26" rims, but with a large motor it wouldn't be a major issue.

You need everything :mrgreen: Controller, throttle, brake levers with motor regen activators/shutting off activators, battery meter/cycle analyst or similar. That would be the very basic.

You will find this video pretty inspiring :D

[youtube]lVVSKD4BmLo[/youtube]

A friend of mine has a bafang mid drive, 8 fun 750 watt motor on a mountain bike, with a 17~AH battery, he does a lot of trail/mountain riding and is very happy with the setup. (peddle assists a lot) The problem you will find is the width of the bottom bracket, it is for a normal bike 60mm~?, there is a rumor that bafang is coming out with a new one that will fit a 90 to 100mm bb, I do not know how wide the bb is on your Corsa, a hub motor might be the easiest way to go for you. I have adapted a moon lander fat tire bike, using a freewheel/crank/drive setup, to utilize the rear cluster, motor, gear reduction hanging on the down tube. He would not have a hub motor because he likes to clime hills, but still go fast on the flat, a hub motor's weight would be high to be able to get enough torque to do both with out using a geared setup.

Back