Craigslist Yescom - Did I score or get screwed?

Beachcruzer

100 W
Hey everybody, it's been years since I posted here but I've been lurking all along. Finally I have a question for the forum.

Last week I saw an add on Craigslist: a zebra-striped DD hub, oldschool CA and 12-fet Lyen controller for $100. I didn't need any of those things, but I'm partial to Lyen's controllers and as best I could tell the motor is a 1,000-watt Yescom, which get good reviews on this forum. For $100, I figured how can I go wrong. I already have a stack of 4s lipo hard cases and an old Walmart mountain bike my neighbor gave me.

I was about to be the low-budget Wesnewel!

So I went straight up there and paid the man. When I got home and took a close look, it was kind of amusing. The wiring was the jankiest mess I have ever seen on an eBike. The place where the ignition switch was wired in felt like a lead golf ball wrapped in gooey electrical tape. The Hall wires were just snipped off. One of the cheap white connectors (kinda brown now with age) crumbled when I pulled it apart. A mess, but whatever--I'm going to redo the wiring anyway, and it didn't look like the controller or motor had never been opened.

The guy basically said he knew nothing about eBikes, but the motor has some mods that make me think otherwise--mainly 10-gauge phases connected right out of the axle with massive drippy globs of solder. I know that's a bread-and-butter mod around here (albeit with clean solder joints). And the Lyen controller, a 12-fet sensored "Extreme Modder" is straight out of this forum. That's why I was so stoked when I picked this up. I have the sensorless version of that same controller, and have run it at 47 mph on the old Aotema front hub in my avatar. I have it on another bike now, running 40 amps and up to 82 volts all day, for years, never a problem.

In short, this was just the sort of setup I'm used to running . . . a classic over-volted DD hub, state of the art circa 2012 . . . just add lipo and hold on to your ass. I figured I scored. But now that I've wired it up for a test ride, I'm beginning to think I may have gotten screwed.

I cut off the janky solders and rigged it up in testbed mode on the WalMart bike. Connected phases and Halls color-to-color. Plugged in 16s lipo. The version 2.3 CA lights up, 65 volts. I turn the throttle and she starts spinning. There's lots of noise, growling at low throttle and loud hum at "speed." Speed is in quotes because the CA is showing 24 mph at 65 volts. This is no load--the bike is upside down, wheel in the air. Curiously, the CA is reading ~1300 watts.

I went for a short ride. Under load, it does maybe 20 mph at more than 2,000 watts (forget the exact reading). It came with a 3-speed switch, so I plugged that in thinking maybe it was stuck on the low setting. Nope. Now it's going 12 mph! Unplugged that. Also went into the CA settings and reset the amp limit to 45 amps. It's getting plenty of juice, so that's not the problem.

So yeah, maybe I got screwed. But more likely, I'm just doing something wrong. Do you guys have any idea what that might be?

You might not have the phase and the sense wire wired properly you don't go color to color always
How many amps are you drawing at the ca ?

Bad Hall combo? Sometimes the color codes don't match, and need to be switched around. It would explain growly startup and high no-load amp draw...
Two of mine needed to be wired green/green, yellow/blue and blue/yellow.

Edit... He beat me ☝️🤣

The other possibility I can think of is a shorted phase wire somewhere.

Usually the bad phase/Hall combination that still sort-of runs (but with too much current and not enough torque) makes the motor spin too fast, not too slow.

Thanks guys. Was thinking it could be the phase or hall combos.

It's set up exactly like the other guy had it, but that's no guarantee they're right. He told me he thought he had a bad battery because he made it himself with 18650 cells and thinks he may have killed some cells soldering it together. Looking at the wires, that's a pretty safe bet.

999zip999 . . . not sure of amp draw. It was 1300 watts at 65 volts, so right around 20. The CA amp limit was initially set to 20, so that makes sense. I'll post an update tomorrow when I can take another look/test ride. BTW, think I saw you bombing down San Juan Creek a couple weeks ago.

So I'll try different combos with the phase/hall and see if that fixes it. If anybody has the secret decoder for Lyen:Yescom color combos please share. If not I just make a grid chart and try everything, right?

Update, just found this on Lyen's site. Looks like changing yellow/green could be the ticket, at least if my guess of this motor's uncertain lineage is correct. Not at home to try now but will give it a shot later and report back.

From http://www.lyen.com/Manual/Color_Linings.htm:

YesaUSA 1000W eBay kit direct drive hub motor wire color lining (8/29/2012):

Controller: Motor:
HALL:
Yellow Green
Green Yellow
Blue Blue

PHASE:
Yellow Green
Green Yellow
Blue Blue

Fyi, careful testing... Some of the combos result in backwards rotation, which makes the pedals spin backwards too, in a way that ones brain might not be ready for after being used to things freewheeling. Pays to keeps some clearance... Plus I had one that spun up backwards, the jolt knocked my repair stand over, then sucked the carpet into the back wheel, and friction burned a softball sized hole in it real fast 🙄

Voltron what do I win for first place ?
Yea I bomb that trail at 43mph it leeds to the rattlesnake canyon trails. Really from the beach to lake Elsinore is all trails get 20ah and give me a call pm. Beachcrusier.
With my lyens I swapped yellow and blue it won't run old bmc motors.

That was the ticket guys, thanks! I re-wired the hall and phase combos per the decoder above and now she's running strong. Guess I did score after all. Now I just need to decide on a project to use this setup with.

999zip999 said:
Really from the beach to lake Elsinore is all trails get 20ah and give me a call pm. Beachcrusier.

Lake Elsinore, hmm I heard that they've been trying to revive the old dirt bike GP race the last couple of years. Back in high school my friend's brother had a Honda Elsinore. A blast to ride, back in the good ol' two stroke days. :lol:

Beachcrusier river trail to canyon trail .
E-hp yes lake Elsinore has some mountain bike races or had them and some of them had electric bike tryouts. I didn't find out to after was over.

Back