CroBorg Super Commuter

Hi folks. Thanks for the comments.

Spent the weekend with Ham Radio and away from my ebikes. One fellow put a 100 watt HF station on his Terra Trike, I'm trying to convince him to add a motor as well. He's interested.

Maybe I'll put more radio gear on my ebike as well. HF radio will probably be rather noisy with the motor running, but we can always stop or drop to pedaling.

The bluetooth idea is interesting. I have had pretty poor luck with bluetooth so I think I will leave that for others. But it sounds like a reasonable idea.

Lojack for the ebike sounds interesting, but the real key to that system is equipping all the police departments with gear and training.

Weather has been nice, hope to ebike to work tomorrow.

DSC_5575.JPG

These arrived yesterday. Tonite I wired one up and put it on the bulk charging. Nice!

These are good charging meters. They display two values at once, and the values can be selected from volts, amps, hours, amp hours, watts, etc.

They were mentioned in a thread here. About $15 on ebae.

The charging starts at 23 volts and 12 amps. This is reading one of the three sections, the total voltage is about 75 volts.

IMG_20121017_083938.jpg

The charging finishes at 25 volts and almost 13 amp hours.

IMG_20121017_113547.jpg

These displays work reasonably well. The current reading went up to 12.5 amps and I don't think the current actually went that high, so the shunts are heating up and indicating a bit on the high side, perhaps 4% high. The amp hours would be affected similarly.

Left my bike in the pouring rain today uncovered for 2 hours. Road it in a sprinkle.. no issues. It's actually quite pleasant riding in the rain if you don't go too fast. could you link to the thread on the meters?

Alan B said:
Here is the requested link to the thread on the meter.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40434

Properly equipped riding in the rain can be fine, but we're not there yet.

I've actually been riding the crobord samram style in the rain all week.
All the cables have been wrapped in water resistant medical tape, the battery packs in garbage bag, sealed with tape.
Controller and connections tapped as well, she seems to ride fine in the rain :)
Just need some fenders to keep myself from getting wet XD

It's a lot of fun burning out at stop signs on the white line. :)

Oh and I ws meaning to ask You, if You could machine up a spacer for the schlumpf as on Your BB.
6.5mm would be fantastic. But do PM me about it and we can work something out for Your time and tool. :)

Cheers to nice weather!

Great. New Mexico is nice at times, and blasted hot at other times, and very cold at yet other times. :)

Had another great day today. Looks like 5 nice days coming, so late next week it will get nasty again. Until then, will be enjoying good weather. Starting to be dark at both ends of the day. This weekend is Fall Back, so more light in the morning but dark on the way home. The Lumenator and ebikes.ca front and rear blinking lights are working nicely. They are all wired to the main power switch, it is great to have instant lights when hitting the power switch. They remember their settings whether on, off or blinking, so they come back to the same state when power is reapplied.

Borg is just rolling along fine. Batteries staying balanced, have not balance charged them for a long time.

Starting to work on the RFID setup. Parts came, starting to write some test code.

Took a ride to a nearby motorcycle accessory shop, the owner is an old friend of mine. Took the Borg to show him an electric bike and see what he might say. He noted that it had full suspension, asked the range. Then he tells me about how he hopped on his Gold Wing and rode to somewhere in Canada in 24 hours straight and that he wants really long range.

He didn't ask me how fast the Borg goes, or if it has regen (questions I always seem to get). He may know some of that from a mutual friend already.

Not much interest.

Oh well.

There was a pedestrian in the bike lane toward the traffic edge, preventing cyclists from using it on the way back, walking along with her back to the traffic. Funny place to walk. There is a sidewalk there but there are weeds. Had to take the lane on a 40 mph road to get around her.

Passed a woman on a bicycle just before stopping at a traffic light. When she caught up she told me I was cheating. I laughed and said "a little". She said she thought it was cool and noted the Borg was a cross between a bike, moped and scooter. I didn't argue with her, that's about what it looks like. When the light changed I disappeared on up the hill in a moment. Amazing how fast cyclists fall behind on a mild hill. In no time I was back home. Probably should have slowed down and enjoyed the ride more.

Was a beautiful day for a ride.

Sunday I took the Novara out. Wow what a shift. Haven't ridden it much for months. It weighs about half the Borg. Amazingly light and responsive. More in my Novara thread.

Nice, the Q about the long range. I wish for more range too, but in the same weight/package. We will need some more innovativion to make our energy sources smaller.

I also get many more positive reactions and hardly any negative. I drive defensively, trying not to endanger others, and keep smiling at people even when they make mistakes. Of course, I do hope that people still keep smiling at me when I make mistakes...

Traffic lights and bicyclists trying to keep up are nice. Here in Basel we have a lot of bike couriers on single-speed semi-racers. They usually drive very fast, very aggressive, do not pay attention to traffic lights, and like to move into the drag of any e-bike. The latter makes sense. Of course, that won't work with our 40mph bikes :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I forgot to mention that I washed the bike before the trip. It looks better now than it has for awhile. They look so nice when they are new, but have so many places to clean. :(

I keep the speed down. 25 uphill, 30 downhill, less on the flats, pretty much speed II. But for a Saturday fun ride I should put it in speed I.

Rear Tire Wear

I sure didn't expect this, but it appears the rear tire is significantly wearing! The 3.00-17 Gazelle unworn side grooves are 0.200" deep and the central groove is now 0.117" deep!. This with about 1500 miles on it. I'll have to double check a new central groove on the new spare tire I have.

I suppose I should not be surprised, motorcycles wear out their rear tires quickly, just didn't expect it on an ebike. Guess it means we have some power back there. :)

Nice day today, though a bit cool. We are running out of good riding weather. Had a nice riding day, got 36 miles in.

Rode the bike to work this morning and then to the dentist's office this afternoon. They let me bring it into the back room and charge it. They were very impressed with the Borg. :)

Had fun with a moped on the way over. He was impressed with the acceleration, followed for awhile, then asked me a few questions. Maybe we'll see him on here one day. :)

I had to climb from Oakland up past my workplace to get on my commute route, took 5 amp hours just to get back to work, but it was too late to stop so I continued on to home. Total trip 14 amp hours (of 20 at 70 volts), about the longest trip yet from a power perspective, climbing from Oakland all the way to Grizzly peak above the Hall of Science so all the way up Centennial from UC Campus. About 18 miles. Made it with power to spare.

Was running in the dark at the end with the Cycle Lumenator. Definitely is a good light, but do need more for these conditions with oncoming cars as the glare overpowers the light and makes it difficult to see road conditions. I would say at least a pair of 1,000 claimed lumen lights (which are probably closer to 600 actual).

Near Misses - three in a half mile

Yesterday evening I was on the way home at about 630pm so it was dark. There was a lot of traffic on the highway alongside the bike lane so there was alternating glare and darkness. I passed a couple of raccoon carcasses in the bike lane and was glad they weren't directly in my path so I didn't have to swerve or hit one, that could be bad. Their fur absorbs light so they are not very visible until you are fairly close when combined with the clutter of oncoming lights.

Next I caught a movement just to the right of the bike path. A large mortally injured buck lay there just off the road, struggling unsuccessfully to get up. I was filled with a combination of sadness and the instant realization of how difficult this would have been to avoid if it had been across the bike path and not seen early enough. I try to look way ahead, but sometimes we can't see enough due to the oncoming glare, pattern of our headlights and curvature in the road.

I am going to increase the forward lighting, a single cycle lumenator is not enough for speeds over 15-20 mph. I am already taking advantage of passing and oncoming cars and observing what I can on the roadway and bike lane ahead. More is needed.

The remainder of my trip was uneventful.

Drive carefully folks.

Headlight Experiment

This evening I ran an experiment. I added two MagicShine lights to my Borg in addition to the existing Cycle Lumenator:

IMG_20121119_181111.jpg

These are the 1,000 Lumen rated MagicShine Cree MJ-808E XM-L LED lights with a "Y" cable and a four cell 18650 2S2P battery. The rating is optimistic of course but the actual output is likely around 600 lumens per light, but more important is the pattern.

I flipped the Cycle Lumenator upside down and made room for the two MagicShines on top of the handlebar. The curb side MagicShine points slightly away from center, so it lights up the side of the road nicely (where the deer was), the other MagicShine is fairly well centered.

When I left work I fired up the Cycle Lumenator first. Lots of light as always, a very broad and soft pattern. Then I fired up one MagicShine, and it punched a hole right through the Lumenator, significantly brighter in the central cone of light, reaching out much further. I fired up both MagicShines and ran all three lights for most of the commute home. The Lumenator providing close in light, and the MagicShines reaching out. Cars that would pass me on the highway would light up the pavement ahead about the same as my lights. This was a MAJOR improvement in long range light which is very helpful for my commute.

The drain was significant on the battery pack with both lights drawing from it. About 3/4 of the way home both indicators turned red so I turned off the curb side MagicShine to conserve the remaining battery, and the indicators recovered to amber. Even one MagicShine was a significant improvement over the Lumenator alone. The Lumenator is a great light, but the pattern is not what I need for dark highway bike lane commuting at 28.

I'm thinking that a light bar with several smaller adjustable LEDs that could be adjusted to make the desired pattern, combined with a high/low beam switch might be the ticket. Perhaps two lower powered wide angle optic equipped LEDs aimed downward for close in lighting, and two high powered narrow optic equipped LEDs aimed out farther for the high beam long range lighting, using TIR optics to control the light pattern.

I like the magicshines. I run mine off the main pack using a DC-DC converter. Por's and con's to that approach though.

Next time you're posting pictures, can you please get a close up of that brake proportioner?

Alan B said:
I think it is just a hydraulic Tee.
Thanks Alan!
Some day I plan to build a trike, and if so will consider running two front brakes off one handle via a tee.

Brake Wear

I don't use the brakes much, and I try to use regen for the big stops. I'm not sure how much I've worn the pads, need to check that. Generally the brakes on my trucks last over 100,000 miles because I slow down early and use engine braking and gentle steady brake application.

Riding into the Sunrise

My commute these days takes me into the sun in the morning. It is hard to see into the shadows when the sun is in the eyes. So I decided to try a visor accessory for my AVG Blade helmet.

DSC_5595.JPG

DSC_5594.JPG

It arrived after dark so no outside tests yet. Hopefully it will provide a useful amount of shade. It is not adjustable, though one can always tip the head. :)

Back