crystiliyte hub motors

catman1

10 µW
why i would never buy this product, mfg paperwork gives no warning that rain water can damage hub, mfg will not back up there product there suggested was wd 40, of the 6 dealers i contacted and got no help. please prove me wrong to any dealer or mfg that cares about there reputation.
ticked off customer

Use drip loops. Don't leave your stuff standing in the rain. These things are on you.

I have some quibbles with Crystalyte motors from a design standpoint, but you drowning your electrical gear isn't their fault.

catman1 said:
why i would never buy this product, mfg paperwork gives no warning that rain water can damage hub, mfg will not back up there product there suggested was wd 40, of the 6 dealers i contacted and got no help. please prove me wrong to any dealer or mfg that cares about there reputation.
ticked off customer
Ya, I was pissed at Apple because nowhere in the mfg paperwork did they say don't drop the phone in the toilet or run over it with a truck. Don't know why they won't backup their product and tell you just to buy another one. They just don't care.

they told you to put WD-40 on it? Now I am interested...What is actually wrong with the motor?

Chalo, lol ,drip loop its not a aircraft and if you know how hub motor wires exit, its at a 45 deg downward. angle pointing to the back of the bike and no I never put hub motor in water in any way shape or form. i have added a photo of what hub looked like after looking at controller and not seeing any obtusely burn, warped, budging components.

E-HP its funny to compare dropping your apple phone in water , to the fact that i never put or propped hub motor in water in any short of way but I'm pretty sure your phone does state do not get wet or submerge in water its in the warning by mfg. lol so comparing them one with a warring and other with nothing and mfg or dealers wont step up to the plate.
My statement still stands don't buy these motors.
here's mfg warring paperwork

Attachments

• 20220406_182928.jpg
    20220406_182928.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 961
  • 20220406_183005.jpg
    20220406_183005.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 961
catman1 said:
E-HP its funny to compare dropping your apple phone in water , to the fact that i never put or propped hub motor in water in any short of way but I'm pretty sure your phone does state do not get wet or submerge in water its in the warning by mfg. lol so comparing them one with a warring and other with nothing and mfg or dealers wont step up to the plate.
My statement still stands don't buy these motors.
here's mfg warring paperwork
Your expectation that manufacturers have to list everything that a user might subject the product to in their warning is silly, which is my point with the iphone example. Did your car come with a warning not to drive down the street riding the brake the whole time or a warning not to drive it into a river? Both aren't good for the car. It's reasonable for a manufacturer to expect the consumer to have common sense, and not have to warn them about every possiblity.

Plus they did include it in the example you posted. It's part that says "use good judgement when riding"

catman1 said:
Chalo, lol ,drip loop its not a aircraft and if you know how hub motor wires exit, its at a 45 deg downward. angle pointing to the back of the bike and no I never put hub motor in water in any way shape or form.

Do you realize the angle that the cable exits is relative to the orientation of the dropouts? Your post that Chalo commented on didn't identify it as a front or rear hub, and rear dropouts can be at any angle. You adding the additional information afterwards doesn't make his original comment invalid.

lol you both are apart of crystiline , probably dealers or mfg , but ant got the guts to man up to the problem lol, its really oblivious you answered both , fact is your product failed and no one is willing to make it right man up or shut up

catman1 said:
lol you both are apart of crystiline , probably dealers or mfg , but ant got the guts to man up to the problem lol, its really oblivious you answered both , fact is your product failed and no one is willing to make it right man up or shut up

It's a pretty easy read. You screwed up your motor, so you're frustrated. So, instead of just owning it, you want to shift the blame to the manfacturer, with a lame reason that the company that at least has some documentation and listed specs, when virtually every other hub motor manufacterer does not, doesn't say it's not waterproof, because you need to shift the responsibility to someone else to make yourself feel better. So you join a forum to get back at the manufacturer, even though they have no claim of being waterproof or even water resistant, just like every other hub motor company. Does that just about sum it up?

The normal expectation is that if something doesn't state waterproof, then it's not. If it doesn't state water resistent, then it probably won't be either.

lol its funny you the dealer or mfg never did anything wrong Crystiliyne hub motors are made with poor quility and will not back up there product

Perhaps you should tone it down a notch, and take the advice given in the spirit it was intended (to be helpful, if snarky), rather than accusing people trying to help you of things that have nothing to do with them.

If you want help, accusations and complaints are not likely to get you what you need. Describing your problem, with as many specific details as you can give, including pictures where applicable, and all of the circumstances that led up to the problem, will help us help you fix it, or to prevent it with whatever you replace the system with if that turns out to be necessary.

If you just want to complain about the manufacturer, I can move your thread to the appropriate Vendor Relations forum. BTW, the manual you show isn't from Crystalyte. It's from that specific seller that rebrands Crystalyte motors for their own purposes; if the seller didn't pass on information about a product, that's on the seller, and you should talk to them directly about this if you want them to update their information. Complaining here is unlikely to do that; it's highly unlikely they ever visit this forum. If you already have talked to them, and they blew you off, I suggest simply avoiding them in the future.

Making a calm, clear post stating your complete story, leaving out nothing at your end or theirs, gives you some chance of influencing others from not buying from that seller in the future, if that is your goal. Posting the way you have been so far is only likely to influence others from listening to *you*, or attempting to help you in any way.

FWIW, I would guess from your reaction to the lack of waterproofing of the motor that you have little experience with ebike parts; there are virtually no waterproof hubmotors; certainly none of the common brands are, nor do any of the ones I've seen claim to be. (some sellers of various products claim all sorts of things, but that is the nature of many sellers, to leave out information that might deter a sale, or worst to lie or distort the truth just as much as they can get away with that will make people buy more of the things that they sell).

If you look on Youtube and/or the http://ebikes.ca site, you can find a video by Justin_LE for a VEVA presentation showing how hard it is to actually make a hubmotor waterproof, and how easy it is to get water into one even if you think you have waterproofed it.

If you want something (anything, regardless of what it is) that is waterproof, you need to look for something with the appropriate IP rating (IP67, for instance) to handle the water ingress level you expect under your usage conditions.

If it isn't rated as waterproof at the appropriate level, then you must expect it to NOT be waterproof. That is why those ratings were established, so that when something *is* made to be waterproof, you can know what to expect from it.

catman1 said:
lol its funny you the dealer or mfg never did anything wrong Crystiliyne hub motors are made with poor quility and will not back up there product

I wouldn't buy a Crystilyte motor myself. I have a Leaf, if you're looking for a replacement. Great motor, no claims of being waterproof, no documenation, and like most motors, doesn't even a prerequisite that the owner have common sense. Runs great, too.

Through the heating and cooling cycle, water gets in through between the wiring insulation and the conductor, as well as any uneven levels of the cover plate, and the open axle between the wires, even the bolts used on the cover plate perhaps even.

I believe most cover plates for hub motors have the lip to help seal them. I have about 4 or 5 motors I could check if I cared as much. Be cool to find a completely waterproof down to a few meters, hub motor. Would need a magentic connector contactors or some other magic pixie dust.

calab said:
Through the heating and cooling cycle, water gets in through between the wiring insulation and the conductor, as well as any uneven levels of the cover plate, and the open axle between the wires, even the bolts used on the cover plate perhaps even.

Worste scenario might be riding along getting the motor nice and warm and then getting hit by a downpour so the motor cools quicky and vacuums in water through anywhere it can.

Could mean any number of "things"
Could mean your heating up the motor and you hit a puddle, or have to cross a creek, doesnt take much heating and cooling thermal cycling to suck in a few droplets into the motor over a period of time that can add up. You ever see a pic of someone who left a hub or ebike out in the rain for a long time. Crusty :lol:

E-HP said:
calab said:

Worste scenario might be riding along getting the motor nice and warm and then getting hit by a downpour so the motor cools quicky and vacuums in water through anywhere it can.

catman1 said:
lol you both are apart of crystiline , probably dealers or mfg ,

Haha, the only Crystalyte motor I own is one I bought in 2003. Since then, my experience with Crystalyte is building wheels on their problematic hub flange geometry, and advising clueless peddicabbers to get something that works better in their application.

I haven't drowned my 2003 Crystalyte hub yet, for what it's worth. Maybe that's because I take care of it.

Back