Custom Build... 2 Speed H.O.B.O Powered e-Cruiser

Merry Christmas BroChoppadude! Just watched that video and it inspired me that I need to get this Jr Brute back together, I have frickin 4 ebike projects on the go right now. I am really missing that outrunner sound and the two speed. :evil: AND the fuzzy nice nice weather you Southern hemisphere folks are having these days! 8) Well can't wait to see another bitter ars Jester build next year. Did you ever get all the packages for the tubing bender? I am thinking about getting the tubing notcher, did Thud send you one of those as well?

image_17029.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/pipe-tubing-notcher-42324.html

HAHAH thanks SoulMaN :p Yes mate all the bender is here absolutely rapt in
it, just blows me away how little you guys in the USA pay for tools etc...

Re: tube notcher HAHAHAA aaaagh etardz etardz etardz...angle grinder is all i need for
notching my friend, by the time you have piss farted around setting it up to notch i would have it fully welded hehe
Looks like a good notcher though mate, theres free programs your already aware of no doubt? that you can enter your angle and tube size etc it makes you a printable template to wrap around the bend, does away for the need for a notcher if your happy to cut and grind... I can't account for how easy they are to use, i had a fiddle but no working printer so meh... i pretty much just eyeball it now, shall be taking pics of the progress there wont be a worklog until its done or at least near completetion, i don't expect it to take more than 3-4 weeks from start to finish seeing i have most of the compnents needed already, be a simple swap from one frame to the other, anyone wanting this old frame is welcome to it if they pay postage otherwise it will be cut up and the head tube and rear drop outs 're-purposed' Be aware there is bondo to hide the crinkles, check early pages of this worklog for more info....

Merry Christmas to you and the missus etard... 'soul patches FTW' ;-P

KiM

Nice video. What sort of camera are you using ? The ripples it gets is an interesting effect. Or is your bike so powerful it starts to distort reality around it when you accelerate :lol:

Chrome moly (4130) steel is really not that hard to work with. You can weld it the same way you weld mild steel. Brazing is fine and is the way bicycles were traditionally made. Yes, you will probably go through more saw blades and drill bits. Just remember to slow down the cutting and lubricate your parts to prevent them from getting too hot and to ensure a satisfying result.

-Warren.

Hyena said:
Nice video. What sort of camera are you using ? The ripples it gets is an interesting effect. Or is your bike so powerful it starts to distort reality around it when you accelerate :lol:

Haha@distorts reality, yup thats what's happening Jay lol
The video camera is the one Kurt so kindly donated to me
Its a kmart cheapie but shes hidef and takes
decent Video and stills, youtube barstardises
The quality as you know.
Its no gopro but it is definately good enough for me :)

@Warren, I have heard from a couple mates theres
very little difference Other than the hardness of the
chromo, I dont envisage any issues, its only steel
Which is no match for a 6inch angle grinder and
cuttoff disks lol.

The Christmas celebrations kicked off for me
Thursday Night and been pretty much non stop
since, for the record and at the risk of Luke
disowning me, AJ is no longer a man child 'rolling' on
his own :-|
Alas the 'rumours' are true my friends, there is
a new wiminez on the scene!! :-| poor lass is under
The illusion she can 'tame' my chauvanistic animal
ways LoL gotta love their eternal optimism
don't ya.. :mrgreen: amd if your reading this Karan, yes us
Men ARE the superior species, know it, learn it
Love it :mrgreen: :p

So its officially Christmas Morning
Here in Oz so Meeeeerry Christmas fellow Aussies..
Time to drags your assess out of bed and crack a beer
in honour of the 'man' JC :) have a great day chaps and
Get home safe if your away from home celebrating :)

KiM

hmmmm don't tempt me with the old frame, I might end up forking out the postage to Ipswich Queensland. It would be worth it for a custom frame like that.
Merry Christmas everyone.

Incredible! Just read the entire thread in 2 days...

Like fast traveling through time, I am inspired!

Man Kim! Holy shit! I only wish I had your resolve and determination!

This will change for me soon, to get off my chair and work with my hands again! For the last few weeks I have been educating myself by reading here on ES, etc. I've created a "favorites" folder that already is taller than my 42" screen can display without scrolling through it... :wink:

I did my first NHEB with a 80-100-130 at 22.2v that reached 39.9Mph on flats a couple of years ago, but put it down for other projects after I blew my second ESC trying to offroad it with such a simple single stage reduction with a very high gear ratio, bad idea. It wasn't long till I officially retired it due to the fact that the bikes name was "breakpoint", a cheap wally bike, and I the last thing I wanted to happen was my broken face on the news with a story about how this rider of an electric bike was injured when his bike called a "breakpoint" broke at "this" point in the frame, where the Y split right where the rider also drilled a hole through the frame... I could SMELL the irony on the bike!

So, thank you for your contribution to society along with everyone else here on ES! :)

Over the last, oh, year and 1/2+ I've got a new bike (partially, still...) and a plan, well at least the beginning of one...

I'll be doing a build log, hopefully, it may be filled with me asking questions more than anything though! :mrgreen:

Later,
Jay

Awesome build, AJ. Inspired me to join ES after months of lurking unregistered just to tip my hat to you. Your work is top notch and documentation of the build is awesome. After a co-worker saw your bike over my shoulder and I explained both your build and the whole e-bike concept, and showed some pics of your work, we thought you should really be on TV like some of the custom motorcycle shows. Get them to help bankroll your builds, push the envelope even further, and spread the e-bike word to the masses. Bring in your collaborators and it would be a hit: green technology, cool builds, and it seems from the banter here there would be plenty of that 'drama' the producers love. Looking forward to the next one!

Cool video AJ! I was just looking around to see if the transmission you put on that ride was still intact and so far it looks like it's doing great am I right? Awesome...love the sound of the shifting! I have just been using my bike's freewheel for more than a thousand miles as a shifter and it's still working well I'm pleased to report. I just know the damn thing's going to go tits up before too much longer though and was thinking about a new build and a transmission to go with it. Lots of food for thought!

Ok a friend of mine Tony now owns Kim's frame from this build.
It is no longer an ebike and the frame has been beautifully bogged to smooth out all the welds and imperfections.
It looks awesome IMO, some here may not like the theme, however it is a real eye catcher.

Here are some photos.

TB1.jpg
TB2.jpg

TB4.jpg
TB3.jpg

TB6.jpg
TB5.jpg

LOL, I could see Kim proudly riding around on that as is :lol:
I take it it's largely for show now ? That leopard print fabric is going to turn nasty pretty quick, especially around the hubs.
The smoothing has come up very nicely. I'm guessing you couldn't do that with a mountain bike as the jarring around would cause it to crack?

Hyena said:
That leopard print fabric is going to turn nasty pretty quick, especially around the hubs.

My old fuzzy GSX-R750 fur stayed surprisingly good for a long time, even after it was in the rain a few times.

Seems like a shame to have the very custom electric bits shaved off the frame.

fuzzybikewy6.jpg

Don't fret guys, Kim has this frame much improved with his Custom_CHRoMo_CRuiSER.
The original frame would be collecting dust if not built into this peddler. Also the sale of this frame has help fund the new build.
Totally cool if you don't like it of course, but it's not a loss to our ebike world.
The new owner, Tony, has this http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28776 as his ebike wheels, so he didn't what to power up Kim's old frame.
Cheers,

I'm not a fan of the leopard print but apart from that, Tony's done a beautiful job rebuilding it, very slick indeed :)

Come to think of it, a 12t mac in the back wheel with 6fet and 8ah lipo pack under the seat would suit it nicely :wink:

Paul :D

Looks fantastic & i am sure better in person! Tony must be ecstatic with the outcome!
I think some of you guys are a lil harsh, if Tony didnt take this frame off my hands i would have
cut it up and "re-purpose" the head tube and dropouts on a new frame, Tony now
has a sharp looking bike with his to some i guess 'unique' fur twist to it... Great job Matt and Tony
getting it done! Look forward to checking it out personally very soon Matt!

Has made me rethink the whole powder coating thang now, i think i might
hand my chromo frame over to my good buddy GeoOoOFF (hes a panel beater spray painter)
and have him do the 'body work' and lay down some nice colour with sparkles and pearl hrmmz will
talk to him tonight over a few bourbons about what he can do and when.

KiM

AussieJester said:
HAHAH thanks SoulMaN :p Yes mate all the bender is here absolutely rapt in
it, just blows me away how little you guys in the USA pay for tools etc...

Re: tube notcher HAHAHAA aaaagh etardz etardz etardz...angle grinder is all i need for
notching my friend, by the time you have piss farted around setting it up to notch i would have it fully welded hehe

KiM

Same here, once you discovered this simple trick...
Tubenotching.jpg

Not my picture (found on goodgle)

eDIt : Just found out I was thread-digging^^'

Back