• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Custom quick battery connection

cgbjake

10 mW
Im getting tired of disconnecting all four 5S battery bricks and connecting them individually to a four cell battery charger. So I'm wondering if someone already invented a way to quickly disconnect them from the bike and connect to charger. I'm thinking about something like kong has made http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=39291, or from Tench at http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37489. I have the ability to machine a lot, but just don't know where to start. Anyone have any great ideas but don't have the tools? I have 3D printers, plastic CNC, metal CNC, and ant welding abilities..but lack imagination. How about it...any open source stuff out there that I'm missing?

Happy Biking!

You can always bulk charge at your series voltage level, and just balance them once and a while.

Or i guess you can put switches or DC circuit breakers in between the series connections and not have to deal with the wires
then have your charge leads easily parallel to your charger

Smdh...! I do not know how to accomplish the task that you wish to accomplish... blinks innocently...

cgbjake said:
Im getting tired of disconnecting all four 5S battery bricks and connecting them individually to a four cell battery charger. !

:?: How do you charge a 5s brick on a "four cell" charger ?? :shock:

If you gave a little more detail of your set up, maybe someone could help find a solution.
..But the simple answer is to buy / make a charger that matches your pack voltage.

Think he has a 4 port charger... question is does he wanna spend the money on a harness to do series and parallel for him..

An Icecube harness is exactly what he needs. One plug goes from charge 5s to run 10s or whatever.

Trouble is, once he buys the usual harness, he'll be using just one 50w port of that damn charger. So he'd be shopping for a 200w (or more) one port charger next.

Icecube can devise a harness that instead of paralelling them all, would still be a one plug setup to connect to all 4 ports of his charger. Big plug for that but it coud be done.

If you don't want Icecube to do it for you, you'd just need a lot of anderson connectors, some bullets and some wire to make your own. Because of the size of the block of andersons you'd have, mabye a two plug setup would be acceptable.

The battery side would be simple adapters with one bullet and one anderson on each end of a wire. Then arrange the andersons on that end to make a big block, or pair of blocks two plugs.

The motor side would be andersons that plug into those blocks, Then paralell and series connections are made to get to your final voltage, 36v?

A third harness would then be made to also plug into the battery side, after unplugging the motor wires. That one would connect to the ports of the charger, one batt to one port.

Sorry for leaving some info out...yes, 36 yvolts. Yes 4 ports, not cells :(. So I guess ultimately I'd like to drive up and disconnect my battery and plug into a charger with a long cord, charging on the bike. It would simplify the charginfg process. I think that is holding up a lot of people, it's really confusing. I'm imagining something like tench, with different blocks that you push in...makes it pretty simple. I have some of that in my shop and I'd love to machine different groves out for different configurations, but that other example seems to have figured out the balance taps...so a marriage of the two...just can't seem to imagine the layout. I'm going to try and draw out a few things, anyone care to post their napkin ideas?

For starters, if you are needing to balance often, you are needing to chuck some packs in the salvage the good cells later bin.

There, that simplified the whole balancing issue right off.

What else can we think of,,,,, how about a hyperion 14s charger?

Or bulk charging with lvc hvc boards protecting the pack?

I know you want to machine something cool, but really, some good solutions have been thought up, prototyped, and put into production. You just bought the wrong charger for an ebike pack. Bummer the solutions cost $$ though.

The cheapest solution might be to stick with your current charger, but swap the four individual battery connectors for one big 8-pin connector (bought or made). Then you just have connection to swap to charge the bike.

If that last post seemed testy I apologize. Do your own inventing, it's fun. But several great solutions exist.

Right now, a harness that makes plugging 4 ports of your battery charger a one plug deal is your quickest solution. Easy with anderson powerpoles because the connector housings go together like leggos to make multi contact plugs specific to your needs.

Look up Icecubes for sale thread, to see how he does it.

Im tired boss.. so so tired... thank you dogman for doing something i couldnt bring myself to do... as simple as it was.. Im burned out man...

Back