Cycle Analyst Android App

I also got a speedometer clock from github and implement it in the app.
When i got a little bit of time i'm planning to make a speed, amp and battery "clock" on one screenview.

Screenshot_2013-12-17-10-37-29.png

izeman said:
NICE. but please plan to make it's max output value adjustable. i'm afraid i will NEVER reach 120km/h with my bike and it's depressing to only fill 50% of the gauge *ggg*
ps: any special requirements for the bt modul? the link to dx you posted is out of stock.

max output is adjustable ;)
Not really a special requirements only thing is 9600 baud but most of the time is that easy adjustable (and i don't know if it is really necessary)

Hi Bart,

The app is looking good a very useful way to interface with CA, are you planning on releasing the source code?

I've just started learning the android SDK and it would be good to have a look at what your building and happy to help out as much as time permits

izeman said:
what's the screen resolution you're supporting? i guess a cheap android phone with 240x320 is not enough?

I will try it this week with the emulator to have a look how it is working on 240x320

Dusty44 said:
Hi Bart,

The app is looking good a very useful way to interface with CA, are you planning on releasing the source code?

I've just started learning the android SDK and it would be good to have a look at what your building and happy to help out as much as time permits

Yes for sure i will release the source code. I just want to finish it a little more and then i will share it (now it has still bugs).
I'm not a real programmer so every code review is welcome!!

izeman said:
what's the screen resolution you're supporting? i guess a cheap android phone with 240x320 is not enough?

I did a check on the emulator and it looks like it is working and everything looking fine. Do you already have a android of that size?
When i have a little bit more time i will have a look at some bugs and post it here so you can try it.

Maybe someone can help me with the following:

I want to change some parameters in the Cycle Analyst, my is was to make a few buttons to choose between the preset configurations (low/legal/unlimited etc).
Last days i looked at some example on the forum but I am not a great programmer so i hope some one can help me with it.

i looked at the serial_communication_record.txt file which is generated when you upload the firmware and used the set MaxSpeed as an example:

Code:
0x55 0x55    0x05 0x05     0x05 0x04      0xd8 0x00 0x00          0xff 0x00  0xff 0x00   0xc3 0x00   0x50 0x00   0x0e      0x04
start/sync   DLE  WT_EE   esc+4bytes      SpdMax                  byte1      byte2       byte3       byte4       chsum     stop

The initial preset value should be 99.9 but byte 0xff is decimal value [255 0 255 0 195 0 80 0] so how is this working?
Or perhaps someone could explain/give me an example how the serial stream must be to change the preset configuration

Hello everybody,

A little update, it has been a while. I had some trouble to figure out how to sent the bytes.
I had to use a logic level converter to get the bytes sent on the right voltage.
But i finally got it working in a little testcase. Now i can choose one of the profile (read from CA) and set it (write to CA) by bluetooth.

[youtube]NOaZzos3gF0[/youtube]

Screenshot_2014-02-19-10-30-01.png

Screenshot_2014-02-19-10-57-21.png

Screenshot_2014-02-19-10-27-00.png

Outstanding work Bart! I'm excited to be running your app soon on my V3 CA. :)

I've stayed out of this thread thinking that it would end up being like the others, not getting anywhere.

I'm glad that I started to look at it because you're doing some good work! I'm thoroughly impressed! And I'm extra happy that this is Android first :mrgreen:

Very cool Bart!
I like the analog style speedo. Making a high tech looking digital dash would be sweet. I'd happily run a 7" tablet on my handlebars for the purpose. :lol:
Then there's endless possibilities to use it as a 'flight recorder' with the forward facing camera most tablets have, GPS, accelerometers etc etc :)

marcexec said:
Awesome work Bart!
Did you buy into the Adobe PhoneGap stuff? Looks to be handy for portability.

I didn't use PhoneGap just the android sdk package. When i got some more time i will have a look at PhoneGap.

Hey Bart, just wanted to chime in and say great work on this as well. So cool to see a real live interaction with the CA from a smartphone, and glad that you've been able to work out the interface to the eeprom settings via the bootloader.

We're just doing our round of summer co-op hires and one of the projects on the table is getting a bluetooth adapter module into production that is designed as a small daughter board for the CA. That way people could solder it directly inside their CA enclosure, so they'd add bluetooth communications with no extra wires or parts on the outside. Which is all to say that the work you are doing could soon be easily appreciated by many.

Anyways, 4.5 years ago I put this offer on the table:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=212413#p212413

There was no expiration date, so Bart if you keep it up there could be a prize in the mail too :D

izeman said:
maybe i overread that: how do you connect the bt module to the CA?
do you have a diagram? i don't want to burn my CA if i connect something wrong.

Hello Izeman,

I posted a picture of how the BT is connected to the CA:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45661&start=50#p833768

But you have to use a level converter i made a picture of it when i was testing on a breadboard.
CA_BT2.jpg

Hoops this help you, if not please let me know!!

justin_le said:
Hey Bart, just wanted to chime in and say great work on this as well. So cool to see a real live interaction with the CA from a smartphone, and glad that you've been able to work out the interface to the eeprom settings via the bootloader.

We're just doing our round of summer co-op hires and one of the projects on the table is getting a bluetooth adapter module into production that is designed as a small daughter board for the CA. That way people could solder it directly inside their CA enclosure, so they'd add bluetooth communications with no extra wires or parts on the outside. Which is all to say that the work you are doing could soon be easily appreciated by many.

Anyways, 4.5 years ago I put this offer on the table:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=212413#p212413

There was no expiration date, so Bart if you keep it up there could be a prize in the mail too :D

Hello Justin,

Thanks!! I hope i can start work on it in the near future. I had a little accident with my ebike....
bart_arm2.jpg

To much power is not always good ;)

Back