• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Cycle Analyst equivalent for Nissan Leaf

Hi folks, I need to have a equivalent from Cycle Analyst for my new Leaf. Are there a similar unit to which exist?

Thanks! :)

Why not use a Cycle Analyst with an external shunt? There are (or at least used to be) CA's made with higher voltage capability.

You just need to find out how high a current your vehicle pulls from the battery at most, so you can buy a shunt to install that the CA can then read.

Or, you can find the shunt the vehicle already has built-in somewhere, and tap off of that for the CA to read.

amberwolf said:
Why not use a Cycle Analyst with an external shunt? There are (or at least used to be) CA's made with higher voltage capability.

You just need to find out how high a current your vehicle pulls from the battery at most, so you can buy a shunt to install that the CA can then read.

Or, you can find the shunt the vehicle already has built-in somewhere, and tap off of that for the CA to read.

Because, the voltage and Amp is too high, the Leaf has around nominal 360v to 400v. CA spec is 10 to 150v. :?

350v with special option.

What about this?

http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=162&osCsid=lca2nigf4guk0lfdsp7nv2lc41

CA-HC (http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/cycle-analysts/ca-hc.html)
+
Shunt0.25 (http://www.ebikes.ca/shunt0-25.html)

You might need a slightly bigger shunt, but that one does 800A peak...you were probably only looking at their Shunt0.5 (400A peak).

EDIT...OOOOOH Volts...sorry, yes it seems the volt limit is 150v at the CA itself.

General_Lee said:
Because, the voltage and Amp is too high, the Leaf has around nominal 360v to 400v. CA spec is 10 to 150v. :?

350v with special option.
So use a 10:1 voltage divider on the input to the CA, and mentally move the decimal point over? ;)

(or perhaps ask Justin how much custom firmware would cost to eliminate that decimal point if the option doesn't already exist somewhere in there)

I like the WattsLeft that this guy sells on mynissanleaf.com. The best part is you plug it into the OBII port and all your wiring chores are done. You just have to figure out where to mount it but it does come with velcro.

View attachment Quick Guide 1.4.pdf

Another option which seems popular is Leafspy which is an app you download on your Android phone which reads the Leaf's data through a bluetooth OBII dongle (that you buy separately).

Thanks guy, I will check for CA shunt, but the WattLeft same good to :)

About Leaf Spy Pro, I can't buy it, I use S4 Mini Android (CM12) they not recognise my phone on Google Play. Anybody have the .apk files? I also need Nissan Canada Leaf (carwings) apk.

The CA V2.3 and V3.x have provisions for an external voltage divider to allow monitoring up to 500V. However, due to the design of the CA, the Gnd shares a connection to the shunt so the CA is not completely isolated from the monitored (high voltage) battery.

This can in large part be addressed by using an isolated DC/DC converter. In addition, the external divider technique introduces special considerations for forcing data saves as the the CA powers down. The sections "1.2.10 High Voltage Monitoring" and "5.8 Powering the CA / High Voltage Vehicle Support" of the CA V3 Unofficial Guide address these points in detail.

The sample circuit for DC/DC converter hookup in the Guide applies to converters powered from the traction battery where the converter operates in a non-isolated mode. Higher voltage systems (e.g. the Leaf) may require a different solution than that illustrated in the Guide - e.g. where the converter is powered from the 12V accessory power, the converter is fully isolated, and the CA shares Gnd with the monitored traction battery, not the 12V accessory power.

Either the V2.3 or V3.0 can be used in this application but be certain you understand the custom wiring and safety isolation considerations before undertaking the project.

Why not get a cheap smartphone or use your old one and put leafspy on it and only use it in your car? There are plenty of cheap used phones out there.

So anybody with success wiring any CA to a Leaf?
In summary: Shunt is a no-brainer, but Voltage Divider with a shared ground is a complication, right?

Back