Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release

teklektik said:
Did you go through the Guide setup procedure again for normal instead of legacy mode?
You need to start anew when you change modes...

I just went through the setup procedure there. Still the same result.

I did 'Case 1' and routed the Green wire from the Controller CA connector to the Gree/Sense wire of the Controller Throttle:
Screen Shot 2014-08-29 at 01.46.05.png

Cycle Analyst display is still registering the throttle movement but nothing else is happening.

You have skipped something - wrong throttle mode, bad throttle out values, etc.
You should see your throttle out voltages appearing on the Diagnostic Screen and the same voltages at the throttle connector. If the OUT field is not changing then you are definitely misconfigured.

Use the CA Settings Utility to extract your settings (like this) to a hex file and post it up here.

teklektik said:
You have skipped something - wrong throttle mode, bad throttle out values, etc.
You should see your throttle out voltages appearing on the Diagnostic Screen and the same voltages at the throttle connector. If the OUT field is not changing then you are definitely misconfigured.

Use the CA Settings Utility to extract your settings (like this) to a hex file and post it up here.

I've had another good look at the setup. Just can't see what's wrong. I'll keep searching for what I'm missing today.

I've attached the .HEX file with my extracted settings.

Thanks

Attachments

• Read Setup Fixing Throttle.hex.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 65
ok. i had a look at it. following remarks, which some/most don't address your problem, but still should be corrected:
low voltage gain: change from 0 to 800 (i guess this is to compensate the quite high lvc, and let you go below that value and react slower
lifetime Ah: this should be 0 as well if the battery is new (this is the battery's lifetime)
lvc: that's quite high with 75v. i would go for 70v. is the battery charged?
throttle input settings look valid
fast up ramp: set that to 99v/s as well, but it shouldn't matter as fast ramp treshold is set to 0
CA shutdown value: set to 50v+ (just a bit below lvc). this is to tell the CA to shutdown. if set too low it may not be able to save it's actual values
rest is looking good. i don't think that your CA is the problem

Thanks so much Hannes! That did the trick!!

I can finally test the bike and cycle analyst with a load (me on it) :)

My next problem is still no speed feedback to the cycle analyst, except when I use the magnet and sensor from the CA-DP... I'm sure I should be getting speed directly from the hall sensors no?

liamcaff said:
My next problem is still no speed feedback to the cycle analyst, except when I use the magnet and sensor from the CA-DP... I'm sure I should be getting speed directly from the hall sensors no?
you got a DD hub? so yes. you should get the speed signal from the controller. the yellow wire is the speed signal wire (pin5). where is it connected inside the controller? there should be a solder pad named "SL1" or it could be one of the hall signals if SL1 is not available. post a photo of your controller with the appropriate solder pads if unsure. take a look at page#57 in the manual which explains connection inside the CA. page#58 explains the connection inside the controller.
we'll get all your problems sorted ;)

izeman said:
you got a DD hub? so yes. you should get the speed signal from the controller. the yellow wire is the speed signal wire (pin5). where is it connected inside the controller? there should be a solder pad named "SL1" or it could be one of the hall signals if SL1 is not available. post a photo of your controller with the appropriate solder pads if unsure. take a look at page#57 in the manual which explains connection inside the CA. page#58 explains the connection inside the controller.
we'll get all your problems sorted ;)

Yeah motor is a HS3540 with axle by Tench built into Moped wheel.

Here is a pic of the yellow wire connection inside 12FET Controller:
Screen Shot 2014-08-29 at 14.13.01.png

Thanks!

SL from all the controllers I have, was the Speed Limit function pad. Grounding it caused the controller to run at the speed set in the software, it overrode all Speed 1,2,3(4) settings.

If what I read is correct ( in the UUG?) then the CA-DP goes to a SL1 pad. Have 3 dead CAV3 compatible Lyen controller boards here and not seen this SL1 yet.
SLA and SL, but no SL1, so take care you get the correct pad.

The yellow wire you are referring to above the red, is one of the yellows from the controller hall sensor outputs, will be marked SA on the back of the board.

on these boards i have here (Lyen 6 FET ) the other yellow is green and in to a hole labelled HE on the reverse.

There may also be a yellow, to a diode to EBS-, the brake line.

According to this post in this thread, SL1 is as I suspected the throttle line from the CA-DP plug.

Just want to be clear:

Controller is: 12FET Lyen Modder Controller
Cycle Analyst V3-DPS (not DP as previously stated)

NeilP said:
The yellow wire you are referring to above the red, is one of the yellows from the controller hall sensor outputs, will be marked SA on the back of the board.

on these boards i have here (Lyen 6 FET ) the other yellow is green and in to a hole labelled HE on the reverse.

There may also be a yellow, to a diode to EBS-, the brake line.

According to this post in this thread, SL1 is as I suspected the throttle line from the CA-DP plug.

I'm having problems finding the SL1 connection you are mentioning

Ok - sorry - I was getting a bit confused with all this talk of SA, SLA and SL1.

I did some more reading here http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37964&hilit=torque+limit+analyst&start=1050

I have found SLA (SL1 doesn't exist). That SLA is soldered to a GREEN wire that USED to go to the CA JST connector. This has been disconnected to get the throttle working with the CA as per this image:
Green Wire Cut - CA connector.png

So I take it this is the source of the problem.... (note the 'red X' in the image)

So any idea where to go from here? Should I connect this 'dead green wire' to the hall sensors somehow? Don't want to start experimenting and blow my sensors or/and controller....

Cheers

liamcaff said:
Just want to be clear:

Controller is: 12FET Lyen Modder Controller
Cycle Analyst V3-DPS (not DP as previously stated)
Please stop.

This is going in the wrong direction entirely. There is no reason to believe the controller is defective and wired improperly or to further investigate the hall connection. You have a controller with a CA-DP connector. It works. Done.

Put the controller back together as it was and make sure it still works as before you began disassembling things.

You have a CA-DPS. This requires a minor modification inside the CA -- NOT inside the controller.

Please do as it says in "Appendix B. Add/Remove Wheel Speed Pickup Sensor" of the Guide.
Don't forget to reset Spd->#Poles appropriately for your motor.

teklektik said:
Please stop.

This is going in the wrong direction entirely. There is no reason to believe the controller is defective and wired improperly or to further investigate the hall connection. You have a controller with a CA-DP connector. It works. Done.

Put the controller back together as it was and make sure it still works as before you began disassembling things.

You have a CA-DPS. This requires a minor modification inside the CA -- NOT inside the controller.

Please do as it says in "Appendix B. Add/Remove Wheel Speed Pickup Sensor" of the Guide.
Don't forget to reset Spd->#Poles appropriately for your motor.

I did everything you said and it worked a treat! Thank you!!!

Now for Regen Braking

That is what comes from trying to read posts on the iPhone.
I had no idea about the initial problem. I was merely warning against this talk of (to me) the mythical SL1 connection.

I had not read back far enough up the thread.
Swapping a DP Stand Alone to controller signal for speed is, as you have found, very easy.

Sorry I did not pick up that that was the issue.

NeilP said:
That is what comes from trying to read posts on the iPhone.
I had no idea about the initial problem. I was merely warning against this talk of (to me) the mythical SL1 connection.

I had not read back far enough up the thread.
Swapping a DP Stand Alone to controller signal for speed is, as you have found, very easy.

Sorry I did not pick up that that was the issue.

No harm done Neil. At least the problem got sorted :)

Will start into getting Regen braking working next along with 3-speed switch... Then I should be good to go! :)

Will let ye know how I'm getting on... and try not to hog the CA thread!

NeilP said:
...Sorry I did not pick up that that was the issue.

No shame in trying to help! :)

Couldn't agree more guys!

All of the help in this forum is absolutely amazing.

Newbies like myself would never finish a build without your assistance. I've hit a good few stumbling blocks that I'm sure others will hit and I hope to be able to help others too.

L

NeilP said:
If what I read is correct ( in the UUG?) then the CA-DP goes to a SL1 pad. Have 3 dead CAV3 compatible Lyen controller boards here and not seen this SL1 yet.
SLA and SL, but no SL1, so take care you get the correct pad.
Ya - this wonky PCB label has come up more than once before in this thread. The UUG PCB labels are from a Grin document about the Grinfinion controller and apparently the Keywin variety of Infineon board differs in this respect. This is particularly unfortunate since the UUG Appendix is only to explain CA-DP interface function and not how to wire it. The pad labels have turned out to be misleading and a handicap.

I apologize for the confusion and will tidy up the illustrations for the next UUG release.

liamcaff said:

Will start into getting Regen braking working next along with 3-speed switch... Then I should be good to go! :)

Regen no problem, as long as you don't have geared motor of course.

But 3 speed switch, depends where you are planning to connect it. According to the bible ( UUG) is not really to be used connected to controller in all but pass through throttle mode on the CA. So if you are planning on using current or speed closed loop feedback throttle modes, then just leave controller at a default speed pf 100% in XPD programming.
You can of course use the CAv3 Aux in function to create a '3speed' setup that does work with Speed and Current throttle modes

liamcaff said:
. and try not to hog the CA thread!

That is the way it has to be. Like Insaid before, a seperate CAv3 sub forum is almost needed now.

These look to be a cheap source of 10k thermistors from the UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Temperature-Measurement-Thermistors-MF52-103/dp/B0087YI1KW/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397599020&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=NCT+10K+Thermistor

Could somebody just double check the specs if possible.

Back