Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release

Are you asking for the feature to be added, or asking if it's already there?

In either case:

There's no feature like that in there at present.

AFAIK from what Justin_LE has said over the years, no features can be added (without taking something else) as there's just no more code space in the MCU.

So...you'd probably have to create a little Nano or similar MCU device that either has it's own speedo to accumulate ODO data, or uses the serial data stream from the CA to accumulate ODO data from, to then provide these alerts.

It would be a nice feature to have on a mid drive that needs regular chain stretch check/ maintenance etc

I just setup a bike with an AllAxle v3 rear hub and am experimenting with regen for the first time. My setup: AllAxle rear, PhaseRunner v6, CAv3 with v3.2b3 firmware. I'm currently using a Sempu BB for torque/PAS (but my AllAxle has the torque sensor so I can switch if that would help).

I'm running into an issue and want to see if it is common. When I use backpedal regen the system often doesn't switch back into assist mode when I start again. A common example would be using backpedal regen to come to a stop, then a fraction of a second pedaling away from the stop. When I do that assist doesn't trigger for a few seconds (or sometimes I blip the throttle and that seems to get it going). This is making me turn off backpedal regen because I need torque assist to come up within one crank rotation to be useful.

I made a suggestion to Justin on YouTube to support backpedal regen only when the e-brake switch is on. For me this would be the best of both worlds: you get the intuitive usage of back-pedal to set regen amount (vs throttle), but the controller instantly knows if you are trying to brake or accelerate. He said they'll consider it, but it would be nice to get some more support if others like the idea.

I just setup a bike with an AllAxle v3 rear hub and am experimenting with regen for the first time. My setup: AllAxle rear, PhaseRunner v6, CAv3 with v3.2b3 firmware. I'm currently using a Sempu BB for torque/PAS (but my AllAxle has the torque sensor so I can switch if that would help).

I'm running into an issue and want to see if it is common. When I use backpedal regen the system often doesn't switch back into assist mode when I start again. A common example would be using backpedal regen to come to a stop, then a fraction of a second pedaling away from the stop. When I do that assist doesn't trigger for a few seconds (or sometimes I blip the throttle and that seems to get it going). This is making me turn off backpedal regen because I need torque assist to come up within one crank rotation to be useful.

I made a suggestion to Justin on YouTube to support backpedal regen only when the e-brake switch is on. For me this would be the best of both worlds: you get the intuitive usage of back-pedal to set regen amount (vs throttle), but the controller instantly knows if you are trying to brake or accelerate. He said they'll consider it, but it would be nice to get some more support if others like the idea.
Glad to see an All Axle V3 in the wild. Mine came in this week and I'm hoping to knock out my build this weekend. I'll be using the Superharness so no backpedal regen for me. My big ask right now is for analog/proportional hydraulic disc brake levers.

This is probably related to the stuff on the previous page, where BPregen doesn't actually let you come to a complete stop, it ceases at a certain speed, specifically so that the system doesn't have the problem you describe.

This post
has the notes about this feature, showing that it should cease the regen the instant forward crank motion is detected. Does your crank sensor have a direction indication line, so that the CA can tell which way you're pedalling? (I don't see how it could do BP regen at all if it didn't, but just making sure).

This thread
discusses the feature, if it helps any. Maybe the feature has changed since that release back in 2022, to remove the limit.

I don't know for sure, but it sounds like you have a firmware version where this limit isn't present, so that it does allow BPregen down to a stop, and so the system can't tell what's going on for some reason. (don't know if it's a bug or just a limitation of how the software reads the sensors, or design flaw in the software).

My back-pedal regen firwmare (3.2b3) does have that feature. I was actually glad to find that part of the thread this morning because I couldn't understand why the braking stopped just before the bike came to a complete stop. It seems like my bike still has trouble knowing when to go again.

The Sempu BB does have quadrature encoding.

Does the CA always correctly show which direction the cranks are spinning when you quickly change directions? (if nowhere else, this is visible in the Setup PAS Device screen)

Maybe something in the sensor or the CA isn't cooperating and detecting this in all situations?

Thanks for bringing it up with Grin; I'd run into the same issue/feature of the position-backpedal-regen taking a long time to "unwind" from a user perspective, and recently watched Justin's video about the feature, where he calls that particular behavior out.

Back