Cyclone bearing failure

boostjuice

10 kW
The ID of the 14T gearbox OP shaft mounted ratchet freewheel is 30mmx1mm threaded. By moving up in size of your one-way needle bearing (new OD = 30mm), you no longer have space for an interface ring to sit between the one-way needle bearing OD and ratchet freewheel ID, so you will have to machine skim the inside of the threads off the freewheel ID to allow for an interference fit using locktite.....

Whilst fitting the larger OD of the larger/higher load rated drawn-cup-one-way-needle-bearing into the freewheel ID may seemingly be accomodated with some minimal machining modification, i'm suspicious of how usable your "20mm to 25mm adapter that should go over the shaft" will be. Because the torque transferring cam rollers and support roller bearings must run directly on the shaft adapter surface, it must be hardened, be perfectly round, ground with a fine tolerance surface finish, and be free of any non radial imperfections like flex slits. As most adapters with such a narrow wall thickness (2.5mm) i have seen are a shrink ring type with slits, i fail to see how any fastener fixed adapter that is firmly coupled onto GB shaft would be free of surface 'slits'. It would have to be a low tolerance tight fitting ring either hydraulically pressed onto the GB shaft, or a lower tolerance ring bonded with locktite...not enough wall thickness for a keyway.... Got any pictures (or a better description) of this adapter?

Looks perfect assuming it's hardened and has a smooth surface. How is the adapter ring torque bonded/coupled to the GB output shaft? press fit or loctite?

file.php

file.php

eTrike said:
Its a tight fit, but I am able to pry it off if need be. Although I had to apply quite a bit of pressure to get it to go on, I did it by hand, so I'm not sure that its quite a "press fit", assuming that means so tight that you need a press to install. I do have some locktite, so should add some of that if possible? The HFL2530 is 32mm OD, so I'm not sure what options I have for that size to try to get either a similar freewheel like the Cyclone original, or to just put a regular sprocket on it and keep my pedal drive train separate from the motor. With the parts I currently have installed, I might be pretty limited. I came across this though, which seems like it might work instead, assuming I find a 20mm ID to fit around the original shaft :Item # SPR-2515F <-- googling that will come up with an image, described as "New roller clutch sprocket with one-way bearing. Rotates freely in one direction; fixed in other direction. 15 tooth sprocket for 1/4" #25 roller chain."
After visiting 4 local bike shops, the local e-bike store guy pointed me to surplus center's website for sprockets, also. Maybe they will have something, but so far the closest I've come is a set-screw style sprocket that the bearing company can machine to fit 32mm. But, it is for #40 chain... so that adds more angst :?

You want to use loctite 603 or similar.

My mistake on the HFL2530 dimensions. i got the width and OD mixed up. A 32mm OD does create a headache. I measured up a 14T dicta freewheel, and if you turned down it's threaded inner to 32mm ID, there would be practically no wall thickness left to transfer the torsion. It seems you might need to consider going to a 16T freewheel with an ~35mm ID....which would require another adaptor (32mm > ~35mm)....such a pain.

SPR-2515F has an 8mm ID, and would be rated for far less torque than even your original HFL2026

Back