Deleted

disndat

100 W
California in the winter Toronto Canada in the sum
Depends if you are looking for a pedal assist kind of ride or a motorcycle kind of ride.What I mean is the 24" wheel will be able to pedal easier than the 20".But I think you will be happier with a 20" if you are always on the throttle rather than pedaling.20" will steer quicker as well.So its up to how you ride the thing.BTW the 10 gauge spokes will be alot more durable than thinner 13 or 12 gauge on the 24".

My 2 cents

I would recommend 20 inch for sure. Also, I would steer you toward a Nimbus 20 inch, 44mm wide rim. They are double walled, crazy rims designed for unicycles. I have one on my 8kw PK Ripper and love it!

Matt

talk to ypedal about some nice wide 20" rims.

for insane speeds you can get 16" motorcycle tires to fit those.
100_0818.JPG
100_0824.JPG

16" motocross tires are even easier to find.

rick

He received a pair of rims today !!! :wink:

I vote for the 20" rims as well.. smaller wheels = better all around ( except for pedaling and ground clearance as mentioned above.. but i doubt this is a big factor lol )

smaller wheels is easier on the controller, gets up to speed quicker. and at the voltage you plan to run, speed won't be a problem even with a 20" !

Those pics look to be the very Nimbus 44mm wide rims I run.

Is that correct?

What tire is that, specifically? I need one for my next trike build.

Matt

These are the Pirelli ML75 were the OEM Tires for the Aprilia Scarabeo 50. The metric tire size is 90/80-16. they come in 2 different widths. these are the wider ones.

Neal Saiki of ZERO electric motorcycle fame (the guy we originally bought these rims from) recommended those tires to me.

they may be hard to find in Canada. pirelli still lists them, but all of the distributors are out of stock. they are still common stock in the USA. the Scarabeo 50 was much more popular there.

rick

I do not mean to sound like abroken record (scratched CD?), but that sure looks like a Nimbus 20 inch, 44mm wide unicycle rim. They are available through unicycles.com

Matt

i used one pair of the pirelli's on an electric wheelchair i built up for a customer. they worked very well. a good soft ride. the tires a more puncture resistant than most of the bike tires i have used. because of an agreement with the customer i can't share any pictures of his rather unique (and very fast) powered wheelchair. thank goodness it is powered because it would be a bear to wheel by hand.

I am in the process of re-doing my delta trike one more time. for this incarnation I have built a differential for the rear so both rear wheels can be powered. i'll be using a pair of 500W cyclone motors driving through a Shimano Auto-D 4speed automatic transmission and 24V 20Ah worth of LifeBatt cells. of course i'll be using the pirelli's and these rims at the back.

the rims may be the same as those unicycle rims. but they were not bought from Nimbus. depending on how you measure the rim (inside or outside the flange) they are either 40 or 44mm. these rims were originally used and custom built for the ZERO electric motocross bike. then a couple of years ago they switched to taller tires and were left with a bunch of these rims. i bought a few. Ypedal bought the rest. then i bought a few more from Ypedal. they are good quality double wall rims. definetly rugged enough to be used on a unicycle. but since they are un-marked i don't know if they are the same.

rick

I've got a pile of these left ( guesstimating 40 + ) .. they are very strong, not only double walled but there is a ring between the spoke holes to re-inforce the middle..

only drawback is that they are painted and not anodized, so rim brakes would wear the black out some quick.. disk brakes recommended. :wink:

no brand names on the boxes, just " made in taiwan " ..

another plus or drawback depending on your preference is those nice brass eyelets around the spoke holes. perfect for 14gauge. you have to drill them out for 12 or 13 gauge spoke nipples.

alternatively you could try to find butted spokes 13 gauge at the head and 14 gauge at the nipple. but these would be a custom cut item.

rick

These tires might work ok for you.

http://www.choppersus.com/store/product/772/Tire-20-x-4.25-Big-Boa/

I tried them in 24" and I thought they were good except when I got into deep sticky sand. Then they acted all crazy :lol:

Edited.. I liked your original intention to use a trials tire.

bikeraider said:
Are you still the only man who as Stealth Ebikes in the USA ?
No, there is another :evil: :mrgreen:

I would get trials tires myself if I could find one in 24". I rode a rear trials on my dirt bike for a while and it was a great all around tire, except for a couple of times in mud and I had trouble with prolonged high speed street.

Salut Bikeraider - Je travail en ce moment sur un vélo 2X2 pour faire du tout-terrain. J'ai demandé à Doc comment trouver des bon pneus de vélo 20 pouces tout-terrain, et il m'a conseillé de chercher des 16 pouces de motocross à la place (d'après ton expérience - merci!). Après ben de la recherche j'ai finallement acheté des pneus 'cheaps' Cheng-Shin C-755, du 3.00 X 16. J'ai crisement hâte de les essayers! :mrgreen:

Here are some 20in tires for dirt use - they are going on my next 2WD as you can see. Cheap 16inch by 3inch motocross tires. Ordered them localy for 37$ a piece. However they were a real pain to get onto those stock NC rims! :evil:

Front wheel - 20in NC with 3.00X16 motocross tire.jpg

3.00X16 tire - Width on slim NC 20in rim.jpg

Back