delta trike differentials

What's the state of delta trike differentials? My Kett has none. A cheap trike conversion axle I bought has none, but a more expensive version of it has one. (I think it's the South American version.) I suspect it's just an overrunning/sprag clutch but I haven't played with it much. I've read that the Lectric trike has some kind of diff.

It looks like most electric trikes are front wheel assist. That reduces the need of a diff. Is there any innovation in differentials?

Diffs are the same as always; you can pick whatever kind you want and build a trike frame around it. Something with a peerless gearbox is your best bet. Check out pedicab stuff for a few examples, ridingmower and kart diffs can work too.

If you need to use a kit that converts a bike into a trike, you're stuck with a very limited selection of things that (from what I've seen so far) are not actually differentials, they are just a way to stick two wheels on the back of a bike, usually powering only one from the pedal drivetrain...sometimes driving both via a solid axle...neither with a diff.

But converting a bike into a trike will leave you with handling and other characteristics you probably won't like, unless you ride at 5mph on perfectly level paths and not in or near traffic. ;)

I've seen some actual single-rider trikes with diffs; there is a recent thread for one in the UK that looks like a peerless diff. Most pedicabs I've seen the underside of look like they have one.

When you pick a diff with an axle already attached you're also picking the way you attach your wheels, so this determines which wheels (at least the hubs) you have to use. That may also determine your braking method--you may be limited to a rotor mounted on the axle and a caliper on the frame next to it, rather than on each wheel, so you're passing braking forces thru the diff from one side to the other, as well as thru the hub mountings themselves, instead of having all the forces at the wheel hub itself.

You can pick a diff without an axle and then work out your own to match your desired wheel mounting method, or you can build your own axle-ends for an existing one, custom hubs for it, etc.

If you're going to run motor power thru the diff, you need to pick one designed to handle that--the typical trike kit stuff is meant for pedal power and is very cheaply made--not the stuff I'd pick to run it thru. Even some of the oldies like a last-century Schwinn single-sided non-diff kit I used as the base axle for the SB Cruiser trike (and Delta Tripper before that) aren't all that tough--Not long ago I sheared thru the cotter pins on it's input sprocket with my very weak pedal power (that only even transmits torque at all for just a second at startup from a stop as it triggers the hubmotors to start running).

A kart or pedicab diff, even one from a riding mower, is more likely to survive motor power thru it. I'd guess $200-$300 starting prices for them these days (used to be about $125 but stuff has gone up a lot in recent years). If it's cheap it might also be cheap....

Also note that using a diff (or any cross-trikeaxle, etc), if it's under your trike cargo bed (or whatever you put over it), raises the CoG significantly. That in turn limits the speed you can go, because you have to stay below the speed at which a suddenly-required maneuver to avoid someone else's stupidity would cause a loss of control or crash. Sometimes that's a very low speed, depending on the rest of the trike geometry.

If you stick the axle up above the bed (or whatever) so it passes thru the cargo space (etc) then you can lower the trike as far as you want, but the axle/etc takes out a significant space that some usages will require for other things.

If you use the axle under the trike *but* don't put the wheels on it, instead moutning them separately to the frame, and then chain or belt driving them from the ends of the axle, you can lower the trike as much as the thickness of the diff allows--just make sure to put the whole diff in the "shadow" of the wheels, so that as you go up driveways, over speed bumps, etc., the wheels lift the diff stuff over them, too. If it's far enough forward or aft to stick out of the cylindrical space formed between the wheels, it's going to hit things you go over that stick up too high.

I'd sit down and make a list of your end-use requirements including braking and vehicle design, and the terrain and conditions the trike will be used in, then work out the power needed to do those. Then look for a diff that fits those, and has all of the characteristics you need.

If you already have a trike that otherwise meeds your needs, you can simply add a diff to it, replacing it's existing axle / structure, adding pillow bearings for the axle as needed if it doesn't already have these for the existing axle.

What's the state of delta trike differentials? My Kett has none.

Is there any innovation in differentials?

Peerless is still the most common after almost one million years in production. It's crude and heavy, but it works. It is only (as far as I know) available in fractional inch diameter axles, but they're made of free machining steel and pretty easy to modify for other applications.

Samagaga is a Taiwanese (I think) company that makes a much lighter, more high precision diff with 17mm axles. They also make an overrunning axle that works sorta like a diff, but powers the inside wheel when there's a discrepancy.

What's the state of delta trike differentials? My Kett has none.
You have two choices for your Kett:
1.) You're an advanced machinist with unrestricted access to a well equipt machine shop, or...

2.) From Hase

(unless, of course, you're foolish enough to lay hacksaw to the frame)

I should also add....

None of the previous links anyone has provided, will easily satisfy the criteria necessary for proper fitment to the Kett.

Perhaps there are others, but, i'm aware of only one other trike which mirrors the differential conversion difficulty of the Kett. That would be the Sun usx.

I suppose they could be considered that; I was looking for actual links that would take me somewhere else (the YT vids are embedded in the page rather than as links, so I didn't consider them that).

But all of those are provided by the OP himself, rather than anyone replying, so I didn't consider those for that reason, either.

As you say, none of the stuff he's posted would work on any version of the Kett that I saw on the manufacturer site without (pretty much completely) rebuilding the trike's rear end, AFAICT.

As you say, none of the stuff he's posted would work on any version of the Kett that I saw on the manufacturer site without (pretty much completely) rebuilding the trike's rear end, AFAICT.
Actually, the Trego would be an possible exception (doable for DIY), unlike the Kettwiesel.

Just looked... seems Hase doesn't list an optional differential anymore for the Kettwiesel. Not sure if a 'replacement' is even available anymore. Hummm?
Never mind... found it. They still do offer a differential.

Last edited:
Out in left field, how about pedals to drive the front wheel, and two motors, one each, on the rear wheels, and no differential?

Out in left field, how about pedals to drive the front wheel, and two motors, one each, on the rear wheels, and no differential?
That's a toughie. You'd likely need a convoluted twist-chain and pulley arrangement, and screwy chain routing .

Similar to this one, only the crankset would likely be aft of the steering axis:

https://www.performercycles.com/wp-...recumbent-front-wheel-drive-mesh-seat-pad.jpg

I'm currently mid-stream building another 2WD delta, WO/differential.

Last edited:
You'd likely need a convoluted twist-chain and pulley arrangement, and screwy chain routing
I don't see why.
Cruzbike videos

This drivetrain holds the ultra marathon and climbing records. On a trike, the learning curve gets very flat.

I found no delta trike(s) at your link.
And just how do you purpose adapting such a configuration, while at the same time, maintaining an acceptable CoG? Certainly doable on a tilting 2, or even a tilting 3-wheelers, but I cannot see it being adaptable on a non-tilting delta without negatively impacting the CoG.

I found no delta trike(s) at your link.
The Cruzbikes show a drive train entirely contained within the front-end. No twisting or particularly weird problems are involved.

The OP asked about trikes and differentials. My post is about an approach that does not require a differential.

I understand that you cannot see how this can be done.

Last edited:
My post is about an approach that does not require a differential.

I understand that you cannot see how this can be done.
You are correct, so please enlighten me.

Your suggestion evades potential problem(s) in attempting to implement the Cruzbike FWD design on non-tilting deltas. So yet again I ask... just how do you purpose adapting such a configuration on an non-tilting delta,.... while at the same time, maintaining an acceptable CoG?

Last edited:
Back