Detecting counterfeit 4110 mosfets

Dont worry, Doc is going to send us some of his mosfets after the big race.
Will only be a couple more weeks.

Mosfets -

I already sell them in the for sale section.
Unfortunately for you the price is not that good for 10. It is just too much work for me...

For 50 or more I sell them for $1.75 each. (that is my loaded cost @ quantity 1,000 so you cant possibly do better anywhere)
For only 10 it is $3 each (which is still a good price, just not killer)

-methods

Well, I opened up my controller and I also have the FB4110's that doc got.Not too impressed, hopefully they'll manage fine with 76.8v and 48A the controller is rated for. What's the latest with the testing?

When did you get this controller?
Recently?

I dropped the ball on my end with the fet testing...
I am swamped until mid August.

I think we are still waiting on some counterfeit fets.

-methods

methods said:
When did you get this controller?
Recently?

I dropped the ball on my end with the fet testing...
I am swamped until mid August.

I think we are still waiting on some counterfeit fets.

-methods

No, it was before Doc got his. Hopefully Kenny has stopped using them since it was brought to his attention. I haven't mentioned it to him yet, but if my controller blows in the first year I'm going to ask him replace it under warranty with one using real 4110s.

patrickza said:
Well, I opened up my controller and I also have the FB4110's that doc got.Not too impressed, hopefully they'll manage fine with 76.8v and 48A the controller is rated for. What's the latest with the testing?
Methods sent me four real 4110's but I haven't received any counterfeits yet to test with them. :(

Yes, this is my fault.
I need to order some of those fets off of ebay.
I was just hoping that someone would have some as i hate to give money to people who sell counterfeit stuff.

Maybe I can pay with counterfeit money>?? :mrgreen:

-methods

methods said:
Yes, this is my fault.
I need to order some of those fets off of ebay.
I was just hoping that someone would have some as i hate to give money to people who sell counterfeit stuff.

Maybe I can pay with counterfeit money>?? :mrgreen:

-methods
I was hoping Doc would be able to gather a bunch, IIRC, from one of his upgraded controllers?
Don't want you supporting those folks either. :mrgreen:

I have 10 of them (I was stupid enough to buy them without reading this forum) and I'd be happy to send them to Cam, but I'm at the hospital atm and I don't know when I will come back home...

gip_mad said:
I have 10 of them (I was stupid enough to buy them without reading this forum) and I'd be happy to send them to Cam, but I'm at the hospital atm and I don't know when I will come back home...

If you will ship your counterfeit parts to us for testing I will replace them for you with real parts at $1.50 each.
How does that sound?

-methods

It sounds good, but as I told you, I'm @ the hospital and I don't know when I'm going back home... It shuld be a matter of days btw (I hope).

nutsandvolts said:
A bit OT but related: I went to a store in Singapore in a shopping mall, that was just like a music store here in the mall, but it was entirely full of pirated software. You could buy whole sets of any operating system, server software, or office software on a DVD for one dollar (Microsoft, Sun, Oracle, Sybase, etc). My co-worker was so fascinated by this he pulled out a camera and took a pic, and the shop owner was not very happy about that! Yet it was in a public shopping mall like any other store and definitely not hidden. I later heard that you can get the same things in Malaysia for 50 cents instead of one dollar. Counterfeit and pirated tech is rampant in asia, as is cloning. I'm starting to wonder if "real" parts (international rectifier etc) are going to become collectors items in the future! :lol: Rare real 4110s for your controller only $19.99 each! hehe

Yes, very true! Asia seems to like pirated software and they're pretty open about it. I got "3ds max" a while back through similar channels (I didn't purchase it.).

I think in China Town in San Francisco, there's a few shops that openly sell what seems to be either pirated music or poorly produced music cases (Not glossy paper with sharp printing, regular paper with bleary printing).

I _think_ I still have that strip of ten fakes I got off eBay when I first found them in a box along with some other stuff I haven't gotten around to using yet.

I've never shipped/mailed anything though...

._.

If you are serious, I can set it up for you.

I can create a shipping label here and save it as PDF.
I email it to you, you print it out and stick it on an envelope with the fets.
Set the fets next to your mailbox and the postman will take it away.

Easy as that.

-methods

Actually, I seem to have 20 of them. :?

I'll send however many of them are wanted in exchange for the $1.50 real 4110 replacement deal. I'd do it for free normally, but I've been stuffing nearly half of my paychecks into savings the the event of unforeseen events with my (very late) eventual birthday presents. I have all of $30 to last me until next Friday (and I HAVE to get my bike working by then; fakes in my controller or no), so I'm a little strapped for cash here...:(

gip_mad said:
It sounds good, but as I told you, I'm @ the hospital and I don't know when I'm going back home... It shuld be a matter of days btw (I hope).
We hope so too!
And not because we want the FETs. :D

Link said:
Actually, I seem to have 20 of them. :?

I'll send however many of them are wanted in exchange for the $1.50 real 4110 replacement deal. I'd do it for free normally, but I've been stuffing nearly half of my paychecks into savings the the event of unforeseen events with my (very late) eventual birthday presents. I have all of $30 to last me until next Friday (and I HAVE to get my bike working by then; fakes in my controller or no), so I'm a little strapped for cash here...:(
Great news! Not you being strapped for cash, I meant the 20 fake MOSFETs you have. :mrgreen:

I have one question though. Did you ground yourself before handling the FETs that are outside their antistatic tube? I'm a bit worried because any damage to them could bias the tests. These are the FETS we would expect to fail before the real ones do and we wouldn't be suspicious if they did...not knowing that they had accidently been static zapped.

CamLight said:
gip_mad said:
We hope so too!
And not because we want the FETs. :D
Thank you! :)
BTW, today they removed the tube that was going into my chest, so today or tomorrow I'm going home. I don't want to "steal the deal" from link, so if in a few days it doesn't work out I can always post my fets.
I must say that the stupid nigerian that sold me the parts has put them in a common zip-loc bag, so maybe they are ESD damaged too (hopefully not).
I'm beginning to build my own controller as soon as I get home, so knowing if mosfets are good (ore getting good ones) is a priority for me! Let me know if and how I can help! :D

CamLight said:
Great news! Not you being strapped for cash, I meant the 20 fake MOSFETs you have. :mrgreen:

I have one question though. Did you ground yourself before handling the FETs that are outside their antistatic tube? I'm a bit worried because any damage to them could bias the tests. These are the FETS we would expect to fail before the real ones do and we wouldn't be suspicious if they did...not knowing that they had accidently been static zapped.

They were, as were Gip's, sent to me in a plastic bag. I know I seem to be permanently free of static in my room (never managed to get zapped in the four years I've lived here, nor, I believe, has anybody else), probably partly because I'm almost never wearing shoes or socks. Figure if I haven't fried any of the six computers in my house, despite working on all of them multiple times, two of them extensively, and one built from scratch, some FETs should be okay. :p

I'd still probably Sharpie out their part numbers or something to mark them, though. See if they show a tendency to blow up earlier than the ones that are still in the tube and if the results can be counted. :?

Link, the thing is a bit different - frying a motherboard or a finished circuit is very hard, because i.e. the gates of the mosfets are already connected to something (a resistor to ground, a clamping diode from inside the microcontroller, etc.)... Frying a single part by touching it is very easy, because everything is "floating". I can't count how many 2N7000 I fried while prototyping on breadboards, just by removing them from the package without protection! :D

*shrug*

Haven't managed to fry any of those I think, either. At least, not via static. Hooking them up wrong is more in line with what tends to happen. :p

Yeah, I just put socks on and scuffled around the carpet for a couple minutes and tried to get a shock out of something. Nada. :? Yay @ not being able to zap components, lame @ not being able to zap people.

We will have to take our chances with the ESD.
In actuality, if the parts are counterfeit they are probably handled poorly anyway so perhaps ESD zapped samples are representitive :mrgreen:

Both of you can have the $1.50 deal on 4110's for your attempt to help us with this test.
PM me for details.

-methods

methods said:
We will have to take our chances with the ESD.
In actuality, if the parts are counterfeit they are probably handled poorly anyway so perhaps ESD zapped samples are representitive :mrgreen:

-methods
LOL, good point.
It does take only 30V or so to zap a MOSFET...wayyyyyyy below what we can even feel. So there's really no way to tell.

I guess if the results are very consistent (good or bad), then it won't be a factor. If the results are all over the place...well...then it might have been a factor...or maybe not. :mrgreen:

Ok, both Link and Grip should be contacting you to send fets your way.
As soon as they send the fets I am going to hook them up with proper fets.

Looks like we are going to have large enough quantities to do a proper set of tests.
I will send more real IRFB 4110's along for the testing.

-methods

Back