DIY midrive conversion. Looking for low power suitable RC motor and general advice!

jmamcarson

100 µW
I have plenty of experience with hub motors, but I'm keen to try the midrive variety of ebikes, I don't really want to use a kit so I jumped on the using an RC motor and putting it into the bike gears idea. I'm going to do two stages of gearing down from the motor. one on the left of the bike at 5:1 and one on the right down to a 3d printed pulley on the front bike gears at 1:9 giving total of 45:1, putting me in about the right range for the low end of KV ratings on RC motors. My main issue is I only want around 500w maybe 750w of power as when I have say, 1000w or more I tend to use the bike very differently as to a "normal" electric bike, I'd ride fast on bike paths and wouldn't really pedal (who needs to pedal when you have big motor :D ). Most RC motors I've seen have a rating of around 1500-2500w which is way to much for me, I can limit the current which is an option and I'm assuming that running a 1500w motor at 750w would deal with a few longevity issues with the RC motors. I did see some 330w tiny motors that would be perfect (for a tiny little mid drive) but would they be able to do it? for example this one:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/multistar-elite-3510-350-carbon.html?queryID=3e43fbc39d152e1dadd17e526bcc88b4&objectID=42392&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products_hbk_price_stock_6_group_0_asc&___store=en_us
(Ik that motor isn't 10s but its just an example of the motor type)
I've also seen skateboard hub motors, would that be a more viable option? Also is the efficiency of the RC motors bad? I've heard bad things about the efficiency but haven't been able to find any numbers. I'm going to 3d print a case for the pulleys and motor and generally try to make the build into a clean commuter so smaller motor better.
Now my main design issue is making the pedals not spin when the motor is engaged but having the pedals able to engage for pedal assist if wanted. Possible with a one way bearing or old freewheel but is there a more elegant but still cost effective solution like a freewheel integrated into the front crankset?
Can you use an ebike hub motor controller with an RC motor (un-sensored controller and motor)
Its going to be a 36v system, I have plenty of those batteries on hand so it'd be nice to be 36v. I'm going to filter air intake for the motor to prevent road dust build-up. The motor housing is going to be in the bottom of the frame inner triangle. just high enough above the pedals to attach a belt to one of the bike gears on the front (turning my 2 front speed into 1 front speed)
This post is very much just me word vomiting onto the screen but I'm struggle to lay it out and format it.
Any advice or help would be much appreciated. Thanks

I’d start here...
A few pages in.
219 chain, 3d printed plastic pulleys tried. Your reduction seems high, did you use a calculator to determine it?

Attachments

• A06397E9-E440-4D6C-8AEF-46B7C28FBF7F.jpeg
    A06397E9-E440-4D6C-8AEF-46B7C28FBF7F.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 429
Back