Do e-Bike Controllers make noise?

AF7JA

100 W
I realize this is an odd question from someone who has a couple of ebikes. However, I am installing a kit on my velomobile and the most convenient place for the controller is right behind, and to the side of, my head.

I haven't noticed any noise from the controllers on my other bikes. However, so close to my head, any noise is going to annoy. If it helps, I am using a 25A Grinfineon Sinewave Controller. I have never used this controller before, so I don't know if it is normally, "squealy."

Yes, but usually so quiet or at such high frequencies you won't hear it at all even next to your head.

when i was testing a recent (last years' model?) grinfineon sinewave unit on my sb cruiser trike, i couldn't hear any noise from it when i had the trike on it's side, so that i could test and setup the wiring (everyting is under the cargo deck).

any noise it might have made was swamped by the motor itself, and the freewheel. (which isn't much noise, typical motor-on-sinewave, and freewheel noise).

it doesn't have any inductors / transformers in it; those are usually what makes noises in switching power supplies under heavy loads. (unless you have a version that has an smps lvps in it, but that should have so little load on it it shouldn't make noise).

Back