• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Does a replaced spoke normally come with a truing?

mikefish

100 W
I recently had to replace one broken spoke at my LBS.

I assumed that a truing would be included, i was wrong.

It was 11 dollars, so maybe that is too cheap for the whole deal.

my wheel is now horribly lopsided.

has anyone had one spoke repaired and a truing done? is this not normally included?

just trying to level the playing field here.

Normally on a wheel that is true to begin with if you break a spoke and replace it right away all you have to do is tighten the new spoke until that part of the rim comes back to true. If your wheel was out of true before you broke the spoke of course just replacing the one spoke and tightening it up won't do anything to true the rest of the wheel. A bike shop isn't automatically going to true the entire wheel when all you came in for is a single spoke replacement but they should have advised you the wheel needed to be trued before you left with the wheel.

-R

Like Russell, I wouldn't expect a truing to come with a spoke replacement automatically, but I would have expected them to advise a truing along with the replacement, or to ask if you were going to true it yourself afterward (if you aren't even replacing the spoke yourself, you probably aren't going to be truing it either :) ).

At the very least, I'd expect a "Oh, BTW, you should true that wheel before riding it" as you walk out the door, even from the most discourteous of LBSs. ;)

yeah,i assumed it was part of the deal, and if not, that something would be said, or asked if i wanted it done.

i suppose i should have asked.

i have a crappy Ezip, and removing the rear wheel is a pain, so i took it to the LBS to make sure it was all done right so i dont have to piss around with removing the rear wheel again.

but just today my rear axle broke (or something in it) i think the cones are done for. im thinking it may be because im such an idiot for riding on the un-true wheel for 2 weeks. i was going to get a nipple wrench and try it myself, but now i have bigger problems.

now im out of an e bike for a while :(

i partially believe that my LBS guy does not give a shit about my Walmart bike to even recommend a truing.

Your LBS tech is a jerk, for sure. Wouldn't even take the time to communicate with you.

In my town, we have several, in one they think I'm a PITA, and now they get none of my money. In another they think I'm a kook,( for the electric motor) but will give me great service when I need something. They get my money when I buy something new that is expensive, like racks and good MTB tires. The third one is super cool. A used bike retailer, he got my collection of frames and leftover wheels from my fleabikes, and sold on consignment a few bikes I wasn't using. I bought a great full suspension MTB from him, and now if I need something he has, he won't take my money.

I say name the LBS and technician so we can know who it was.

Also, I'd take issue with the problem with the management. That kind of service isn't acceptable. I agree they might have been snobs to a cheap bike, but there's no excuse. An untrue wheel isn't safe to ride on.

A broken spoke is one part of a larger problem - an unusable wheel. Service should be problem-solving = make the wheel usable again.

$11 is too cheap, and shouldn't have been proposed as a price in the first place.

I say get it fixed at a more established shop that knows better than to employ inexperienced kids for things like spoke work. Look for a place that caters to racers, or cycle messengers, they will be more likely to have technicians of better ability!

Sounds like a bad or overburdened employee. Maybe it slipped his mind to mention it, or maybe he just didn't care.

I would also have assumed a true would be part of the deal. I would never have a wheel fix go through my shop without a true, unless it was just a hub adjustment.

I just discovered that you can tune your spokes by sound. Ive found that a broke spoke can mean your tension is out. You can have a straight wheel and your tension can be borked to hell. Replace the spoke and go around the wheel hitting each
spoke and listen for a low and a high. If you gets a high one thats the next one thats going to go. One that is particularly higher in pitch.

If youre tone deaf than this post will mean nothing at all.

Ive replaced spokes and the wheel went back to normal.

Oil nipples with appropriate oil before you turn them.

I vote that the shop or tech was passive aggeressive. The charge of $11 to change a spoke on a rear wheel that is on the bike, is decent; But to not ask about the additional service/ money to true it while off the bike? thats bad shop practice.
Like swapping the derailer and cables, but they dont adjust it? If the wheel was too far gone, he could have told you.

Please declare this shops name and location.

the number one wheel guy here in town is a bit of a character and really hates working on x-box bikes. He will if you are real nice or indigent. If you are a well heeled person looking to go cheap on him, dont bother asking him for a deal.
But He would NEVER agree to change a spoke and not talk about truing the wheel. It would ruin his reputation.

( One shop owner once said that if all customers were nice and all repairs were easy, every one would have a bike shop. Be prepared for tough customers and repairs, but thankful for the easy ones. )

Yeah I know which shops to frequent and which to stay away from here. Some I stay away from 'cause they are incompetent on regular bikes-- they could not fix a ham sandwich. Some are glad to see me and make time to catch up. they get my business and my referals. (In Colordo Springs, Teds and Old Town are the best to ebikers)

How about some More data please: what caused your spoke to break and how long did your ride the wheel with the broken spoke?
d

The weird thing here, is there is a member of this forum that speaks highly of the guy at this LBS.

I even told the guy there that someone from an internet forum said he was THE MAN at bicycle wrenching. I told him the name, and type of bike, and he was like "oh, yeah..hehe" Yes, I actually paid him a compliment in front of another customer as well!

a weird fella IMO but I had no reason to distrust him until now.

The wheel had only about 1400 miles on it, and I did not ride much after the spoke broke because I believe it caused my tube to go flat.
There was absolutely nothing sticking into the tire, and no holes i could see. The inner rim had scratched metal markings around the broken spoke area. And even one scratch area that I had to file down because it was so sharp.

The shop is a one man operation. Its always the same guy in there doing everything.

I don't think I will be going back there. I made the assumption that the truing was included. I'm a noob when it comes to how much these services cost, so I had no idea that was way cheap. I also failed at not checking that myself before putting the wheel back on my bike. And it was not until after riding for a couple days that i really noticed how far out of line the wheel was. But being lazy, and not wanting to be bike-less again for a while, i chose to keep riding thinking whats the worst that could happen, it just wobbles. Well it must have chewed up something inside my rear axle, because I'm out of a bike until Currie gets rear wheels back in stock sometime next month or so.

Now I know why having a true wheel is so Important...live and learn I guess.

but having a spoke wrench and the ability to use it is the most valuable thing of all. most people can true their wheel on the bike by just using the brake pads for guides. i got a park for $35 and loan it out too.

i bet there are a buncha people here who would sell you their old currie if you asked. but you may wanna rebuild that wheel too. unless the rim was tacoed.

There is a good chance thread on another spoke or nipple is fudged.

In any case the shop mechanic should of checked the tension of the other spokes because when one goes you can place even odds another has been compramised to this original failure.

yup, I'm out of Ebiking for a while.

Currie wont get new rear wheels in until mid November or so they say. :cry:

thinking of dropping the Currie, and going AmpedBike. Its just because I'm missing my bike already, and Im not so sure I will be happy without an Ebike for that long.

My only problem is trying to convince my wife that I should spend 400 now instead of just waiting for the replacement wheel.

of course, if i sell my car http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/1373927321.html i can spend more on a new Ebike!

yes, Im selling my car so I can get a nice Ebike....any takers? :D

When you picked up your bike and noticed that the wheel wasn't true did you immediately go back and tell Ray? Believe it or not, you are the one ultimately responsible for the maintenance of your bike. After all you are the one who has to accept the consequences of it breaking and you getting hurt.

He did exactly what you wanted him to do. He replaced one spoke. I don't think he was responsible for riding the bike for so long with a broken spoke and then continue riding it when the wheel was so out of true. I also don't think it fair that you are blaming the crap walmart axle that broke on him either. And I really don't like that you posted his name on this forum.

I wonder what Ray would have to say about this? Have you even bothered to talk to him before shitting all over his reputation. The guy did you a favor doing the work for $11. He does not look down his nose at ebikers. Every time I have a bike problem I can't solve he has been there for me with expert advice, quality parts and overly fair prices. He laced up my BMC hub motor for $25 and the work was perfect.

May I suggest that you go to another shop next time, that way you can find out what an overly pushy, try to sell you stuff you don't need, inexperienced shop is like.

You can say what you want about Ray, but I say he is the very best around here. I drive 30 miles to get to his shop when there are 3 in my town and one of them is only 3 blocks away.

One member thinks the Mechanic is pretty darn good. One member wishes he had gotten much better service.
we "experienced bystanders" have expressed our opinions.

So now is the time for the original two parties to have a discussion, and I for one am not needed in this, as not much is to be gained by me continuing this conversation on the net.

I hope something hapens so the primary parties can feel better about this. :(

I'm going back to looking for a 60 amp spdt 72 volt switch for under $8.

buy buy

dick

ps :idea: always have a 2nd bike even if its only human powered.

I dont get how a broken spoke can put someone out of Ebiking to the point of needing a whole new bike. Take the time to learn to put on a new rim as it will take just as long and more cash to buy a new bike. Chewing on a new rim is the best place to learn truing.

Ive came home with a couple broken spokes once, yes the wheel was out a little and could ride it for days before I decided to replace the broken spoke. What did this guy do to your wheel? Was it like this (unsuable) before youi took it in for the replacement spoke?

View attachment July 17 2009 064.jpg

With a cheap butane torch I bought for $40 AU to repair the wifes jewelry and some 2% silver solder and flux I repaired this stainless steal spoke. I think it would be easy enough to do one at the elbow if you had another spoke and cut the broken one. You wouldnt even have to remove your tire to do this as long as you losened it enough to join the ends befor you solder.

This is about the third thing Ive ever braised so dont call me an expert in the field but I believe this is plenty strong enough as the spoke seem the stongest in the mended point.

In defense of the prosecution:

No offense, but an $11 job is an $11 job.

It says something about the person who agrees to take it on. For $11.

Most bike shops I've been to in the last 3 years won't even change a flat for that.

And Leslie - I would be careful riding on that spoke. :shock:

Spokes go through a lot of stress in use, being tensioned and hitting bumps and such. Especially drive wheel spokes. You've taken a spring and changed it's temper in one spot - a spring that has already failed!

I once asked a shop if they wanted my old stainless DT Swiss spokes back after I rebuilt my wheels for the first time. They said no way, they only use brand new spokes in their work. It'd be like putting used brake parts on someone's car, liability-wise.

nicobie...

i had a tough time deciding if i should post the place that I took the wheel to. at first i was thinking that i should not post it. but having 7 people tell me that the tech should have at least mentioned to me that the wheel should also have a truing, made me think something was amiss here, and got me a bit bothered. half of me did not want to post it, and the other half wanted to out of displeasure. i had actually typed..."i would rather not name the shop" at first, but i admit to falling to peer pressure on this one when several people kept asking for the location and name of the place.

i have removed the posting of the shop.

i never said he looks down his nose at Ebikes.

im all for a shop that will talk to me, and tell me things about my bike, and understand that not everyone is an expert like you. I go to these places hoping to get some help, information, and advice. None of which I have gotten.

for the record, i did state that i was the idiot that chose to keep riding on the wheel after i noticed that it was not true.

and from that, it was me who is "blaming the crap walmart axle" breaking issue on myself. read the posts before you come at me in this fashion.

my question was " Does a replaced spoke normally come with a truing?" the answer was no, but the tech should have mentioned that it needed to be.

im am totally in my rights to ask questions about service, and performance of a LBS on this forum. perhaps it was wrong of me to post his location. i did not feel right doing so, and now it bothers me that i did.

he may always be there for you, but i unfortunately can not say the same for myself.

i have been going back to him to try to support my local business community and help out the small business owner.

for what its worth, i am sorry for posting his shop.

At one of my lbs, a truing is only ten bucks, and a spoke cut and threaded to a custom length is a buck. Assuming he didn't have to take a tire off to put in a spoke, I'm not so sure how you'd automaticly know 11 bucks didn't include a truing unless you were a repeat customer. In my town ten bucks to install one spoke is a tad high.

The guy's error was not explaining that truing would cost extra, and your error was not asking for a spoke replaced plus the wheel trued. It takes two to miscommunicate.

I don't doubt he's a great mechanic, but I've found some communicate well and others don't. I had a car in a tire shop the other day, and the new tires install included a courtesy check. They told me they'd check the alignment, and peek at the thickness of disk pads while the wheels were off etc. Later that day, I get a call from them, they want to change my oil which does need it, and replace bad radiator hoses, that btw,are only a year old and are fine. I explode of course, Who gave you permission to even pop my hood! You did, they say, it's the courtesy check. Repeat buisness there is not happening.

Learn to true your own wheels close enough, and you just learned not to let them go too bad and keep riding. The trick I use is to put some little tabs of folded over masking tape, or some baling wire scraps twisted onto the frame to make a passable truing stand with the wheel still on the bike. Go slow, and keep going round and round the wheel, working spokes in pairs, one 1/4 turn tighter, and the opposite one 1/4 turn looser. You may never reach a perfect wheel, but you can definitely get one close enough to ride it and have rim brakes pulse less. Wobble is easy to fix, egg shaped rims, harder. But you should be able to stop breaking spokes and keep it straight with a bit of practice. Just take your time, and whatever else makes you calm and patient.

Back