Don't do technical jobs after a 12hr day with no food

NeilP

1 GW
Lucky escape for my 12 FET Xlyte sensorless controller last night.

When I saw what I had done last night, I just assumed I must have fried it, but out of a sense of futility I tested it and it is still alive.

I had been up and around the farm since 0600, and done various jobs ; tractor mowing, spraying tidying etc etcd, general farm maintenance, then started a re wire of an 8Fun hub at about midday. No breakfast, lunch snacks and only one coffee at about 0530

The 8FUN was a brand new geared hub, that, although new and never fitted to a bike, must have been dropped and had its wires half chopped through at the axle stub. Owner could not get it to work so came to me for assistance. With interruptions, I finally had it back together by about 1800...so 6 hours work. including replacing hall sensors, as I had snapped the legs off two while moving the wiring about to solder.

So hub was back together and tested fine with the 'Lyen/ebay' generic hub tester

Thought 'I'll just see that it works ion a controller' although tester showed it would. Bad idea after near on a 12 hour day with blood sugar levels probably very low, and feeling tired.

So I connect it up to a working 6 fet Sensored controller. Lots of fiddling with adapter leads and polarity checking to get 50 volts to controller...but no wheel movement....nothing..weird. no current flow..try some more wiring combos..nothing, 5 volt out but no controller output on phase wires Checked LVC, pack voltage, BMS etc..NOTHING ..So next step...try the 12 FET sensorless controller.

so sensorless controller all fitted to the motor. except the power .
So grab the battery and different adapters with the big Andersons, in the middle, so allow for polarity swapping.. One end of the wiring had 4.5mm bullets to the pack, the other end the big spade terminals Ed Lyen supplies
Now, from years of experience, I never plug connectors straight together, I always jstu brush them past each other, with my eyes closed.

Well I am glad I did this this time...and almighty flash and bang as a quarter inch of brass spade connector vapourised in my hands. Ooops, that was more than a capacitor precharge inrush I thought! It was as if I had just shorted a 20 series pack to itself.
Looked at the wiring, to make sure that was not what i had done..nope, definitely connected direct to the controller as it should be.

OK, I thought , must be a short within the controller...but after what was now a 14 hour day with no food or drink..I decided to leave it till the morning.

Well I checked it this morning...and the 'fault' was so obvious.

Remember earlier, I said my power lead had a pair of Andersons in the middle to allow for polarity / gender swapping...yep...the colours were swapped mid wire. So although colours were correct at either end...I had connected the controller reverse polarity to an 84 volt pack capable of many '00's of amps when shorted

Ah that is it I thought..controller is fried. But futile as I thought it was, I corrected the polarity and tried again.....
Well bloody hell...controller is alive and well.

But lesson still won't be learned,.I have said it to myself many many times before...when you are tired and hungry stop doing technical jobs and have a rest..so easy to make simple mistakes when you are tired.

Oh yeah, shit happens. About 2 years ago I cooked several chargers while creating some dramatic plasma flashes.

After one particular violent connector vaporization the wife hollered from another room “everything ok in there?”. Oops…

3 dead chargers, I finally broke it all down and immediately realized I’d simply made up a bad cable while I was drunk, stoned, malnourished, tired or all of the above. My own damn fault, reverse polarity.

Lesson learned - traveling at the speed of light, gotta keep yer shit tight messing with this stuff…

the BMS will protect your controller from reverse polarity because it will shut off in microseconds when the overcurrent is detected.

the reversed polarity on the capacitors is your biggest problem when this happens. would expect shortened life span for them now. if they are not leaking already from the reversal.

usually it is hard for the voltage to build up since the short through the body diode of the mosfet is a dead short and only a few hundred millivolts should build up in reversal across the caps.

I just this morning checked the very first controller I used for these tests.

Works perfectly...I had started testing the controller and re wired motor with the same controller and battery combo...but with a CD-DP v2.23. Previously I had used that combo of battery and controller with a different motor and a CA-SA.

The CA-DP had an LVC set to 66 volts...does not work with a 50 volt battery pack...ummm wonder why ! doh.

Well, at that level of voltage, in a way you did have a fuse. :twisted: When I did the same thing with 48v, the spark was more normal, and I cooked off the controller before I could unplug it.

I learnt about not plugging anything gin on a first connection years ago. Flash the connectors together, back to back, side on side sort of way. Never so they can connect and fuse themselves together.

Any flash bang spark then causes you to jump and no connection made!

"a 12hr day with no food"? I tend to munch food constantly. But *only* a 12 hour day? Amateur. :) I like to "cat nap" but mostly work and play for much more than just 12 hours per day. :lol: (You can find my posts on ES at all hours of the "day" and "night".)

I have a mate like that...eatsa ll the time..skinny as a rake.
We travelled New Zealand together for 6 months. Same car , same activities, shared the same food every day. Out biggest friction was the amount of time he'd want to stop and eat.

At the end of the 6 months he had lost about 16 lbs in weight and I had gained over 20lbs...bastard!!

Yes, 12 hour days,, used to be a short day when I was farming ...now I don't have to do it I don't...come to think of it that day was probably more like 15..as I was done the format 6am..and got back in the house just after the 9pm tv news started.

Hehe... Omitted to pick up the first part of this thread title "technical jobs". On ES I can only hope to "sit at the feet of the masters" on ES re any technical stuff, but after reading and writing (with lots of copy/paste of what others have written, maybe as long as 100+ years ago) for a few years now (about "ebikes" and electric traction generally) recently my work life (aka making money) sorta fell apart and I can no longer trust myself to do accounting. :cry: So am trying to fall back on earlier academics in marketing. Hence local uphill bicycle racing (where we ALL "cheat" riding ebikes and etrikes) and going to "Meetups" (TM) - local ebike riders association uses a website forum to organize get-togethers and tap about... stuff. And Hobie Alter first popularized the Polynesian-style "beach catamaran" about the same time. Then there's that recumbent "cruiser" trike that I hope to start importing (made in Taiwan) and rent to tourists on pathways around and along the beaches here (that I've read is already popular in California like the "mountain bike" style of bike was first popularized 30+ years ago).
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57408

"Crazy" Californians have created lots of "stuff". Like Thomas Baldwin in 1905:
18c_jj14_mecklembaldwin_live.jpg__800x600_q85_crop.jpg

And then also to sell conversion kits if I can figure out how to mod these things to travel safely at "higher" speeds. But need is to turn any/all of this stuff into "income" for me. Somehow.

So I know a few local ebike retailers and I carry around with me a few cards from their store, each "postmarked"/labeled with the mysterious word "Lock". If and when any turn up at one of those retailers (and turns into a sale) I get a "kickback". Up to $200. (!!!)

So fer any ebikers out there, if you can find a local ebike store with bikes that are "OK"/you can believe in, maybe pick up a few of their printed promo cards - if they have any - and get them to agree to pay you some small "kickback" if one of their cards turns up (with some unique code printed on it) and translates into a sale for them (and into $$$ for you)? Go for it! :)

Back