• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Duct Tape E-Bay Lifepo4s???

Ypedal said:
MicroRacer said:
My 24V 20AH Battery Pack from Ping ... .....

I'm new to this game. Is this a 1C Pack?

a 20ah pack at

1C = 20 amps.
1.5C = 30 amps - hot
2C= 40 amps - hotter
3C = Forget it.

So are you saying the battery itself gets hot when it's run at 1.5C and higher?

How hot is too hot? I believe the one I'm getting is supposed to trip at 30A. It is a 20Ah pack. Is there a way to up this to around 35A trip without damaging the BMS? I saw something earlier about someone changing a shunt resistor to do this, but I can't find the post now.

Thanks.

Ypedal said:
MicroRacer said:

a 20ah pack at

1C = 20 amps.
1.5C = 30 amps - hot
2C= 40 amps - hotter
3C = Forget it.

The battery pack was rated for 30 Amp continuous. I guess I will find out. I will be using a Watts Up Meter and I will be driving the crank directly. With 27 gears available I should be able to keep the motor from drawing too large amps. The Cyclone rep told me that the 500W motor drew just over 39 amps at max throttle and load. By playing with throttle and gearing I should be able to keep the current draw around 30 amps on hills. I also will be adding whatever power I output to the motor. I mainly am going to use the battery pack to get me to work of a morning with as little effort as possible and then only for hills on the way home.

The biggest problem with drawing too much current from these batteries is voltage sag. Yes you do get voltage sag with LiFePo4!
with my YESA pack, which is also rated at 1C, I found that if you keep the current draw @ or below 1C, the battery is most happiest. Short bursts to 1.5 - 2C seems to be ok, but my recommendation is keeping it below that. If you have a system that requires higher discharge rates, then,
THESE BATTERIES ARE NOT FOR YOU. Look for something that is rated at 5C, and then be prepared to pay for it!
There are plenty of assist systems out there that only draw 10 -15 A, and they are suited to this type of battery perfectly IMO. My system draws less than 15A max, so I feel quite comfortable buying this battery for my system.
I'm not sure what happens to these batteries if they are constantly drawn at close to rated max capacity or even over, but I suspect it will result in a much reduced battery lifespan. I'm sure it wont be long before we all find out!
Another option would be to modify your controller to reduce the current draw. That would reduce the peak power demands, without sacrificing mid range performance.

SimonMTL said:
I'm still waiting to read about people who have bought "New.Journey" batteries on eBay... Ping batteries are difficult to get, people overbid on them... !

Whoever is e***e is the one bidding on multiple batterys driving up the price. Does anyone notice this but me? I notice on the feedback that e***e isn't on the list. I've seen the name before bidding awhile back. Maybe its ping himself.

well if there is a person e**e driving up the price... don't bid on it... simple as that.

I nearly got a 48v 20ah pack but i got outbidded by someone here on the forums so i'm not fussed.

As for the anna and new.journey packs... i've documented my crap experiences with them, but you don't seem to listen?! geez don't complain if you have shit luck with those vendors.

MicroRacer said:
Ypedal said:
MicroRacer said:

a 20ah pack at

1C = 20 amps.
1.5C = 30 amps - hot
2C= 40 amps - hotter
3C = Forget it.

Not sure how you are calculating but here's a LiFeBATT description for comparison: Mulitply the C rating by the total Ah and thats how much current can be drawn safely for an impluse. For continuous use 12C or less. The pack can handle 400 A impulses, the wires on the softpack can handle 100A current. So claim the softpack at 5C due to wires. The HPS can handle what the batteries can.

Best,

Don Harmon

i'm just waiting for GGoodrem to release those new BMS things and it should resolve my BMS tripping issue.

BiGH sorted out my tire rubbing issues

Anyone completed any business with anna just recently? I just won a bid on a 48v 15ah duct taper. I get the afore-mentioned response, "sorry, can't take your PayPal payment rght now". Also, no replies to any e-mails, and I've sent her four over the last several days. Anyone else had any luck?

SteveCA

Hi Steve. Yeah, see my last several posts here. Anna apparently has a PayPal issue. The last two of us have gone through the same thing. Eventually an e-mail comes from "Moneybag..." that gives paypal payment instructions for the battery. I went ahead and paid for mine, the other guy opted out. Anna acknowledged the payment, and got my desired battery dimensions. It apparently isn't made ahead of time. I have not been notified of shipment yet. Anna was my second choice, as per warnings above, but getting a popular size from Ping has become difficult, so I am just being patient. :D

EDIT: I didn't get answers to questions submitted on her site for several days or more, after the above mentioned payment stuff was all done.

IIRC, paypal has a seller's limit of $2000, after which the seller must secure their account with a checking account or CC. That may be the reason Anna's aacount is knackered.

:?

TylerDurden said:
IIRC, paypal has a seller's limit of $2000, after which the seller must secure their account with a checking account or CC. That may be the reason Anna's aacount is knackered.

:?
more likely they have had chargebacks from people who were not happy and paypal cannot get the money back from them so they cut them off. this happens to vendors who sell things that are other than advertised fairly often. Be aware that if you complete the transaction outside of PayPal you lose their protection altogether.

btw gary and i are ironing out the last bugs in the bms and beta testing is going well. he should have them available soon. we expect that we can reduce the price from the expected "arm and a leg" to just an arm and a half;) The reality is that nobody else builds a bms like ours because it is just too expensive and there is no room for profit. By offering the bms as a kit we hope to overcome some of the cost issues. I think they will come with a disclaimer that says 'if you do not know what you are doing, we will not stop you from going forward, but please do not blame us if you injure yourself or others through your own fault"

when i worked at radio shack 35 years ago a guy brought back a metal detector kit complaining it did not work. when i opened it up it was a charred mess. i asked him what he used as a soldering iron, he said "the same torch i use for soldering pipes, it just gets hot enough to melt the solder, doesn't it?

D-man said:

Whoever is e***e is the one bidding on multiple batterys driving up the price. Does anyone notice this but me? I notice on the feedback that e***e isn't on the list. I've seen the name before bidding awhile back. Maybe its ping himself.

and albie said:

well if there is a person e**e driving up the price... don't bid on it... simple as that.

but I see the e***e on anna's batteries also, and sometimes as the first bidder, so I don't think it is Ping! :D

I did read somewhere that the same characters may represent different bidders. There is probably an algorithm based on your e-bay sign-on.

kbarrett said:
If you are going to get a Cycle Analyst, talk to Justin about upgrading your controller ... you want a 6 pin direct-connection added. This is not the same thing as the stock 6-pin cruise-control connector.

The Stand Alone CA lacks some functionality ... you can't use the max speed cut-off, for example.

connecting the CA to your existing controller is not at all difficult. they sell the connector on a 6" pigtail for $6 and instructions for wiring it into the standard controllers is included or people can help here if you get stuck connecting it. In addition to the speed and current limiting features this unit uses the controller internal shunt to measure the current so an external one is not required as it was in the past. the CA can sense your speed from a Hall sensor signal if you do not have a freewheel system, or use a wheel mounted magnet if you do.

ok need the battery experts to answer this question...

i know its been covered and have been warned by ping not to connect the battery pack in series.

I was wanting to connect 2x 48v 15ah duct tape packs into a 96v 15ah configuration for my bike. What is the worse that could happen if i connect it in this way?

I know that you can do it (connect in series) with the Yesa packs and they look pretty similar to the duct tape packs.

Your BMS explodes.

I asked basically the same question earlier in the thread. The FETs can't handle the higher voltage. I think you can put them in series if you upgrade the FETs. Might have to change whatever it uses to supply the BMS logic with power, though.

How fast are you expecting to go on 96V anyway :shock:?

stevero2001 said:
I ended up canceling my order with anna from ebay
Geez, thanks a lot! I was bidding on this one, and you stole it away from me in the last 30 seconds, and now you just cancelled your order? Nice to hear you just wasted my time, buddy!

SimonMTL said:
stevero2001 said:
Geez, thanks a lot! I was bidding on this one, and you stole it away from me in the last 30 seconds, and now you just cancelled your order? Nice to hear you just wasted my time, buddy!

Pwnd! :lol:

I just got mine in. And am wiring it up and making a box for it out of some spare stuff I have lieing around. :mrgreen:

Letting it balance now, I had to switch out 3 plugs on it and wire in a trailer connector.

Link said:
Your BMS explodes.

I asked basically the same question earlier in the thread. The FETs can't handle the higher voltage. I think you can put them in series if you upgrade the FETs. Might have to change whatever it uses to supply the BMS logic with power, though.

How fast are you expecting to go on 96V anyway :shock:?

Pretty fast :) 50km/h is pretty damn slow!

hmmm ... looks like if i do get a second 48v pack in... i'll have to wait for the upgraded bms boards i was talking about earlier.

SimonMTL said:
stevero2001 said:

Sorry, but you only mentioned 10a and 15a. I never saw you mention 20ah. Anyway I canceled anna, not new journey, because anna looked a bit too shifty and wasn't playing by the ebay rules. So far new journey hasn't emailed me since I paid, so it may not be such a bad thing to miss out. I hear you on the Ping batteries being bid up too high. It appears the safest bet is Ping, but you pay a premium for that. It might be worth it just for the peace of mind. In any case, there will be more chances to buy so just be patient and keep watching.

Woo, 100kph! That's like 62mph. You sure your motor can take it? I mean, geeze. I'm worrying about running twin BD36s at 50mph.

What kind of bike is this going on? I don't see the batteries taking that kind of amperage unless you're on a recumbent or something.

SimonMTL said:
stevero2001 said:

But then again, maybe you saved me some trouble! :?

Link said:
Woo, 100kph! That's like 62mph. You sure your motor can take it? I mean, geeze. I'm worrying about running twin BD36s at 50mph.

What kind of bike is this going on? I don't see the batteries taking that kind of amperage unless you're on a recumbent or something.

if you have a look at my sig we did 72v and only got 60ish kph... the reason being due to wind resistance. I'm guesstamating here with 96v it would probably be around 70-80kph.

The bike its going on is the current setup i have... yes your probably thinking i am nuts but hey someone has to do it!

stevero2001 said:
Sorry, but you only mentioned 10a and 15a. I never saw you mention 20ah.

It ain't easy getting those Lifepo4's! Anyways, with yet another winter storm on our doorsteps, I'm far from doing anything electric for the next few months it seems! I'll just keep watching. I'm betting on pretty much anything right now that Ping will produce (10, 15, 20); guess I'll just let people around here know before betting, and reading up on who is also, so we can all be civil and each get our Ping battery at a good price! :wink:

Back