E bike Throttle not working...Help.

Dkrie

100 µW
Complete newbie here.

I just bought an E-bike a week ago. It does not come with a throttle as a stock item however supplied with a factory connection wire. Purchased a third-party throttle with proper 3-pin connector, set it up - easy job... But it is not working.

The control unit is an M6C LCD display. Managed to get access to the settings. The P20 parameter entry is supposed to enable 3 different protocols - 1 is needed for throttle/cruise control. But it can not be changed at all.

Any suggestion how to proceed further?
More details on specific request.

Ta

Complete newbie here.

I just bought an E-bike a week ago. It does not come with a throttle as a stock item however supplied with a factory connection wire. Purchased a third-party throttle with proper 3-pin connector, set it up - easy job... But it is not working.
Can you post a pic of the connectors between the throttle and controller? "Proper 3-pin connector" doesn't ensure that the wiring order is correct, since there are no standards. Also, do you have a volt/multimeter?

Thanks for the quick reply E-HP.
Fair enough, 'proper' only applies to the right male-female connection. I haven't tested the wiring so far although I do have a volt-meter. Here are the pics.
You can see the female is for the throttle device itself on the right handlebar and the P20 parameter on the display that can not be changed.
The bike is a HITWAY BK7 from GRANDHY.

Attachments

• NIK_1861.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 19
  • NIK_1867.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 18
  • NIK_1871.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
  • NIK_1860.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 15
Your display is probably locked, so you will need a password to change the p and c parameters.
Nope. If it was locked with a password I could not even enter to see the parameters. Never asked for the password at all.
Plus - the main thing is -, I can change each and every different parameter except the P20 entry.
Like for example P08 is for the speed limit which is set to 25km/h as default and I changed it to 32 and then 40 the next day without any issue.

I just keep wondering at the moment is it either a faulty throttle switch, a wiring issue or something from the ESC-side which I didn't get to have a look and to be honest it's the a last thing I want to be bothered with because that's when things going to get a little bit more complicated especially when it is all supposed to be almost like a straight-out-of-the-box thing.

Are you sure that it’s not the P10 setting you want to change to enable throttle?

Reference manual used…
https://www.drvetion.com/drvetion-color-lcd-m6c-instruction-manual-for-at20/

Regards,
T.C.
That's exactly the same manual I'm using after some research.
P10 is for the Dive Mode btw according to that manual too.
And that's where the P20 comes into the picture because Protocol 2 is enabled in P20 and all the other throttle/cruise control variables are ineffective until P20 is inactive even though I can change all of them.

Edit: I changed P10 to 2 - PAS and Cruise simultaneously as soon as I got access to the settings menu but it was and still ineffective.

I follow your point about protocol. But as you’re able to change P8 to effect operation with it not “valid for protocol 2 only”.
Perhaps the other settings under P10 are still valid.
Set P10 to “2”, and verify your throttle wiring and output…

See this thread to help sort that out…
Guide to Hall Sensor Throttle operation, testing, and modification. - Electricbike.com Ebike Forum
Cheers TommyCat.
The reading on the throttle connector is 35.2V so that tells a lot.

That voltage for a battery supply is good, not good for hall sensor throttle voltage supply at the throttle connector. (See thread guide)

If you have a wiring diagram or controller make and model to sort out the wiring. And a link to your throttle.

That voltage for a battery supply is good, not good for hall sensor throttle voltage supply at the throttle connector. (See thread guide)

If you have a wiring diagram or controller make and model to sort out the wiring. And a link to your throttle.
Right. Seems like I messed up something with the meter reading yesterday. Just tested again. It is 5V on the male connector coming from the ECU (ESC - whatever way you want to call it).
As for the wiring... There is no wiring diagram supplied for the bike, neither for the throttle.
I attached some new pictures so you guys can see.

It looks like ECU connector wiring is: (anti-clock-wise: pins 1, 2, 3)
1 - 5v+
2 - ground
3 - signal

On the throttle on the other hand I'm clueless atm. (pic 4,5)

I'd say the good news is that the hall sensor seems not damaged since it did not get excessive load.
Got a spare connector with stripped wires at the other end on the way and going to do a little test with some spare batteries to test the connection and determine the wiring in the next couple of days.

One small addition: I tried to connect the throttle while the system was turned on and it immediately kicked in to a constant 6 km/h cruising. It only stopped when brake was applied. Throttle movement had no effect at all though,

So that's all the progress for now. Any ideas are more than very welcome and thanks for all the help so far.

(Still didn't get myself to open up the frame and pull out the ESC/battery to have a look on that side of the story....yet.)

Attachments

• NIK_1872.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 10
  • NIK_1876.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 5
  • NIK_1874.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 5
  • NIK_1877_e.jpg
    NIK_1877_e.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • NIK_1879_e.jpg
    NIK_1879_e.jpg
    791.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
It looks like ECU connector wiring is: (anti-clock-wise: pins 1, 2, 3)
1 - 5v+
2 - ground
3 - signal
Looking at this Wuxing pinout, that seems backward if pin 1 is on the left when looking at the connector.

wuxing_pins.jpg
This is the connector side on a KT controller.
KT_pinout.jpg

Well, you can determine your actual pins as follows, if the center is ground, If you put your meter negative on the center terminal, and measure to the two other pins, the power pin will be about 4.5-4.6V and the signal is zero. Then if it is different, you can rewire your throttle as needed.

Complete newbie here.

The control unit is an M6C LCD display. Managed to get access to the settings. The P20 parameter entry is supposed to enable 3 different protocols - 1 is needed for throttle/cruise control. But it can not be changed at all.

Ta

Complete newbie here.

Ta

That's exactly the same manual I'm using after some research.
P10 is for the Dive Mode btw according to that manual too.
And that's where the P20 comes into the picture because Protocol 2 is enabled in P20 and all the other throttle/cruise control variables are ineffective until P20 is inactive even though I can change all of them.

Edit: I changed P10 to 2 - PAS and Cruise simultaneously as soon as I got access to the settings menu but it was and still ineffective.
Complete newbie here.

Ta

Complete newbie here.

Ta
Complete newbie here.

Ta
Same problem with me i have same bk7 and i ordered new twist throttle but isn't work i try change everything in settings still not working due to protocol 2 and i cant change p20 so i cant change pas to cruise and also my bike not going up 32 kmph i dint know why can help me on that also

Thanks for the quick reply E-HP.
Fair enough, 'proper' only applies to the right male-female connection. I haven't tested the wiring so far although I do have a volt-meter. Here are the pics.
You can see the female is for the throttle device itself on the right handlebar and the P20 parameter on the display that can not be changed.
The bike is a HITWAY BK7 from GRANDHY.
.Same problem with me i have same bk7 and i ordered new twist throttle but isn't work i try change everything in settings still not working due to protocol 2 and i cant change p20 so i cant change pas to cruise and also my bike not going up 32 kmph i dint know why can help me on that also

Moved this thread to ebike troubleshooting because this is not a mechanical or structural problem.

.Same problem with me i have same bk7 and i ordered new twist throttle but isn't work i try change everything in settings still not working due to protocol 2 and i cant change p20 so i cant change pas to cruise and also my bike not going up 32 kmph i dint know why can help me on that also
Here's the photo the original guy put up of his throttle connector coming from the bike. And here's one from one of my bikes using a KT controller,

z_user.jpg KT_pinout.jpg

Power up the bike. Measure the voltage between the center pin and the right pin as in the first photo., You should read zero voltage because that is the signal. The opposite pin will read around 4.5V and is the power, If you have that, the bike uses the standard throttle wiring as it should, and also has the right voltages.

Back