E-bike vs. Pedal Power efficiency

I have a lot of discussions with people about the benefits of cycling. I like to remind people that an e-bike is the most efficient form of personal transport, even more so than pedal power. People just don't seem to get it. I've searched for research papers, etc, to help back up my claim but can't find much. I'm looking for something that can help break it down for the laymen. Many people just don't understand how much energy goes into food production, and how much more efficient an electric motor is, compared to a human body/digestive system.

A $5 breakfast worth of fuel, to human power a bike for 30 miles
is more expensive than 10 cents worth of electricity to move, an eBike,
the same distance.
Not to mention ... faster ... with a heavier payload ...

Also, don't forget the fuel used to grow the food:
the grain,
for toast, or cereal,
and used to raise the pigs, for the bacon
and to raise the chickens, for the eggs
and to raise the cows, for the milk
The fuel to power the farm machinery
The fuel used and converted into fertilizer
The fuel to deliver the food for processing.
The fuel used to process & package the food.
The fuel to deliver the food to the store.
The fuel to pick up the food from the store.
The fuel to cook the food.

Oh ... mustn't forget the fuel to ship coffee and sugar from Central-South America!

The entire point being ...
Bike human pedal power is not more energy efficient, or fuel efficient, than electric eBike power!

I eat food whether I drive or pedal. Of course, I eat MORE when I pedal often, so it would be difficult for me to quantify the added volume/cost of the food. (20%-50% more?...IDK)

I also notice that when I am pedalling more frequently (spring, summer, fall) I crave more protein, especially just before I sleep.

I wrote up something here:

http://neptronix.org/posts/transportation_cost.html

Unless you are eating all organic with no petrochemical inputs whatsoever.. there's a carbon footprint of consuming extra calories in order to push the pedals around.

How bad is it? i am not sure.
I heard that it takes 100 calorie equivalent of petrochemical input to produce 10 calories, then the human body is 20%-30% efficient with those calories, so yeah.. it could be really really bad.

I wish i had some firm, good numbers..
Here's an interesting article though.

"Is there a way to compare a human being to an engine in terms of efficiency?"
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question527.htm

You will find many pedalists who are in denial about requiring extra food. I think that's funny. Yes, there is a little wiggle room with stored fat, or calories that would have not been processed, but over long rides, you're going to use extra calories, period.

Let me put it to you this way. I ate fast food for every meal when i was younger, but pedaled 30 miles a day in hilly conditions to commute to work. I actually was losing weight and went from 250lbs to 180lbs doing so over a period of 1 year. I was consuming 2500-3000 calories a day. My body probably required 3000-3500cal to do it.

I can't give good numbers, but when I was pedal-only, especially for my long commutes (12+ miles one-way) to the Arrowhead CompUSA techshop, I would eat breakfast, lunch, *and* dinner, plus snacks, and not gain weight.

After adding even just my friction-drive assist powered by SLA, I didn't need the snacks, and ate lighter meals and was still ok with that, not losing or gaining weight. After a while I didn't have breakfast. (also, all of that was after CompUSA had closed and I'd started at the pet store only 2.5 miles from my house).

After my knees got bad enough I really didn't do much pedalling (or any) and my motor system was good enough to do all the work for me, I didn't need lunch most of the time, either, except when I was doing heavy lifting and moving at work on truck/load-receiving days, when I'd move a ton or two of dogfood around the store in a shift. I began gaining weight significantly after I stopped pedalling.

Nowadays it's still about the same; I'll eat very little if anything at lunchtime most days, and just dinner in little bits thru the night, and I am still gaining weight. :lol: I figure I've gained 30-40lbs since I stopped having the long commute. Most of the calories I burn are probably in my brain, rather than my body, these days.

Even right now, in winter when I "pedal" (really just moving my legs around) to keep my legs warm without adding layers of pants, I don't eat any more than otherwise.

My food budget (even accounting for the changes in my shopping methods and in prices over the years) has probably dropped by half since I stopped pedalling as a significant contribution to motive power, and probably 2/3 or even 3/4 since I was on pedal-power only.

Nice page Nep, Ill have to refer people there, what program did you use for the graphs?

Nice page Neptronix. I had previously read the research paper from ebikes.ca. It was helpful, but not something I would cite as a source with confidence.

I know I've ran across a major published article, something along the lines of 'Without Hot Air', but more specific towards e-bikes vs pedal power.
http://www.withouthotair.com/

It is funny when people insist that pedaling with human power alone can somehow defy the laws of physics.

Slightly off topic, the Berkley CoolClimate calculator has an option calculate your carbon emissions from the food consumed to power a pedal bicycle!

http://coolclimate.berkeley.edu/uscalc

People just don't get it will continue of course. When I talk about the real actual total cost of an ebike vs car, they refuse to believe the car costs that much to drive. Like the bill fairy comes and pays their car payment and repairs or something.

Simply state that the energy to move has to come from somewhere, and for pedaling a bike it comes from the food you eat. Point out that cyclists in the Tour de France eat about 6,000 calories per day for the flat stages and nearly 8,000 per day in the mountains. An interesting tidbit is that they take in about half of that while riding.

It's common knowledge that unless you grow your own food with an organic garden, that it is quite expensive and generally petrochemical intensive to grow and deliver. Food is a very expensive "fuel".

Also, the human body runs at only about 30% efficiency, fuel in to mechanical energy out. That compares to a 70% or higher efficiency for an electric system.

In those discussions, you have to give bikes their rightful do with something like, "Don't get me wrong today's bicycles are incredibly efficient machines, and they're tops at converting mechanical energy into motion. The same things that make bikes great, make ebikes great too. It's just that the motors for ebikes are much more efficient than pedal bike motors, and the fuel for ebikes is cheaper and cleaner too. Cycling is great exercise and great sport. For basic transportation electric bikes rule, and that's from an economic perspective, energy in vs energy out, as well as from a carbon footprint. Think of an ebike as an addition to your stable of bikes, not a replacement, and it falls somewhere in between your bike(s) and your car."

John

All these posts are based on the assumption that people eat just enough calories to survive and that they would need to increase intake to pedal a bike around. just one quick look around a mall will tell you that is not the case. almost every american eats more than they expend hence the ever expanding waistline. most people could stand lose quite of bit of potential stored energy in their body (ie fat). fat is 9 kilocalories per gram. that gigam article calculated 2.8kWh per 100 miles which converts to 2,400 kilocalories per 100 miles.

if someone wanted to lose 50 lbs of fat (I'd say most americans need to lose more than 50lbs of fat) that would be 22,679 grams of fat. that equals 204,000 calories which equals 8,500 miles of cycling. (now we understand why its so hard to lose weight)

so basically, without increasing any caloric intake, the average american could fuel 8,500 miles of cycling from their built up reserves. in the process they would feel better, sleep better, have more energy, lower blood pressure, decrease risk of diabetes, reduce cholesterol, increase cardiac efficiency, reduce risk of heart disease, etc etc etc. exercise and weight loss have innumerable health benefits. if you think of the carbon footprint of health care delivery and pharmaceuticals that can be avoided by being healthy, that is staggering.

also, just do a quick google search for "amount of food thrown away in the US" and you will see that somewhere between 30-50 percent of our food is thrown away so its unlikely that an increase in food consumption by the 10 to 20 percent of americans who aren't overweight and are taking in a steady state amount of food is going to change our carbon footprint. if you worry about carbon footprint of human food consumption, you should just convert to becoming a vegetarian.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/06/business/worldbusiness/06iht-greencol07.4.6029437.html

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/vegetarian-diet-carbon-footprint.html

so comparing e biking to pedal biking in terms of energetic efficiency is probably merely an academic question - in an ideal world where person are finely tuned machines in perfect health that eat a precise amount of food and that is precisely the amount of food we produce, ebiking may have a slight edge. In the real world where people eat more than they need, where food is thrown away, where healthcare expenditures are huge, where most people are overweight, and where most people dont exercise nearly enough, pedaling is far superior.

that being said, i ebike because pedaling 10 miles back home with a 1000 foot elevation gain at the end of the day is tough and ebiking makes it more enjoyable and doable. if i didn't ebike, I would probably just break down and drive. by ebiking, i get a good amount of exercise because I always pedal anyway to assist my motor and I avoid driving.

now driving vs ebiking is a no brainer in the ideal world and in the real world.

An electric bike is much more efficient. The energy to pedal has to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is food.

ya absolutely. If i didn't have an ebike, I'd probably drive alot more than i do now. I just don't have the discipline or the resolve to pedal commute every day. but ebiking makes it almost painless. so definitely i get more exercise by having an ebike than by having a pedal bike and i ride my car alot less.

neoplasticity said:
ya absolutely. If i didn't have an ebike, I'd probably drive alot more than i do now. I just don't have the discipline or the resolve to pedal commute every day. but ebiking makes it almost painless. so definitely i get more exercise by having an ebike than by having a pedal bike and i ride my car alot less.

Spot on. I tried biking to work and I made it a month and it never got easier. My route is significantly hilly. The choice for me became drive or ebike. For anyone who bikes to work on a pedal-only bike, I'd give them the argument, for the health-benefits argument given earlier. It's the people who drive cars who look at an ebike as "cheating" that floor me.

I think the student research paper cited earlier in this thread is an excellent effort also. For the OP's question, that source is the best answer.

John in CR said:
Point out that cyclists in the Tour de France eat about 6,000 calories per day for the flat stages and nearly 8,000 per day in the mountains. An interesting tidbit is that they take in about half of that while riding.

LOL. It'd be pretty hard to consume 8,000 calories though eating food before hopping on the bike!

neoplasticity said:
yes and most people eat too much food and we throw away 30 to 50% of this food even after we are done overeating it.

You definitely have a point. The deeper question is how do we get those people on bikes!

Architectonic said:
... The deeper question is how do we get those people on bikes!
We don't. But we won't have any problem getting them to the refrigerator! But more importantly, why should we share the joy of bicycling?!!!

SamTexas said:
Architectonic said:
... The deeper question is how do we get those people on bikes!
We don't. But we won't have any problem getting them to the refrigerator! But more importantly, why should we share the joy of bicycling?!!!

the more people who ride bikes the less people drive cars this has two benefits

better air for us to breathe while bicycling

less 3000 lbs boxes of metal to hit us while bicycling

neoplasticity already pointed out the "overhead" of food that is wasted, another report from the UK in 2007 reports the same thing:
http://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...d-waste-is-stoking-climate-change-398664.html
consumers were, in effect, dumping one in three bags of shopping straight in the bin.

but that report also noted:
Annually, the UK dumps 6.7 million tonnes, meaning each household jettisons between £250 and £400 worth of food each year. Most of the waste – which nationally costs £8bn – is sent to landfill where it rots, emitting the potent climate- change gas methane.

...and I know that adding any legumes to my own diet increases methane output exponentially...

10Ck

I agree with all of you. Unfortunately there are hard core cyclists out there who won't listen to your logical argument. For me if I pedal at least a mile I will need water which costs more than a nickels worth if electricity.

I would start counting the body as being a inefficient way to power something, only after your exercise needs have been met.

It's critical that a person gets enough exercise, you can not leave that out of the "overall" equation.

It may be cheaper to power a bike with electricity until you start to count the health benefits of getting exercise. You feel better, you sleep better, you digest your food better, your in better shape, you spend less time being sick, less time at the doctors, mentally your in better health...

Back