E-bikekit rear geared hub kit, powerful in standard form?

alfantastic

10 kW
Would the E-bikekit rear geared kit, running their stock controller at 48v, be considered a fairly powerful set-up?
I'm not after monster power, but definitely more torque and speed than your average European 36v, 250w combo.
Anyone running one of these?

post edit: misread the OP O_O

I've had that motor and it is not very powerful; 250w is just not a lot of power in the first place. 48v will get into the 'you're pushing it' zone for that motor. You will get low 20mph out of it but the hill climbing will just suck.

Had that motor now i run a MAC.. now there's a real geared motor ^_^

It's a torquey little motor which feels stronger than your average Bafang but it definitely needs 48V for any kind of speed. How powerful it is depends on how many amp controller you use. Like all small geared motors however you want to limit the power to keep temps in check so keep it under 20A. I used one with a 15S LiFePO4 battery for thousands of miles on my Kona Smoke Ebike http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10458&start=60#p282632

-R

Thanks for your replies.
Just to clarify, as my original post may not have been clear.
The E-bikekit rear geared hub is rated at 350w-450w using their 20A controller. Specs are from from their website.
Just wondered if anyone has fitted one of their kits recently, running 48v, and can give a real world account of performance.
I'm hoping that it is equivalent to a 350w Bafang BPM, as I have tried out one on these running 36v, and it's a gem of a motor.

alfantastic said:
Thanks for your replies.
The E-bikekit rear geared hub is rated at 350w-450w using their 20A controller. Specs are from from their website.
Just wondered if anyone has fitted one of their kits recently, running 48v, and can give a real world account of performance.
I'm hoping that it is equivalent to a 350w Bafang BPM, as I have tried out one on these running 36v, and it's a gem of a motor.

Yeah like I posted I used an E-BikeKit geared motor with a 48V battery (15S LiFePO4) for almost 3,000 miles (w/an E-BikeKit controller set for about 20A). The motor is a little stronger than the "250W" Bafangs I've used but I doubt it's as strong as a Bafang BPM, which is a larger motor. My unassisted top speed was around 22.5 mph with 700cx50 tires. I would expect the same speed on a 26" bike using the more common 51.2V 16S LiFePO4 battery or about 24 mph if I had used a 16S LiFePO4.

-R

ps, The motor itself at 133.3mm in diameter with a spoke flange hole circle diameter of 119.5mm is almost exactly the same size as a Bafang QSWXH (133.8mm and 120.5mm respectively). All measurements are my own btw. The motor with the hardware weighs in at 6 lbs 4 oz (2.8Kg) compared to a Bafang QSWXH (shown at right below) at 5 lbs 12 oz (2.6Kg).

E-BikeKit%20Geared%20Motor%20018.jpg

A Bafang BPM is 180mm in diameter and weighs in between 4 and 4.5 Kg (about 9 lbs) and is sized more like a MAC/Puma/Ezee/BMC.

I would suggest if you like the BPM then buy the BPM :D

Russell said:
alfantastic said:
Thanks for your replies.

Yeah like I posted I used an E-BikeKit geared motor with a 48V battery (15S LiFePO4) for almost 3,000 miles (w/an E-BikeKit controller set for about 20A). The motor is a little stronger than the "250W" Bafangs I've used but I doubt it's as strong as a Bafang BPM, which is a larger motor. My unassisted top speed was around 22.5 mph with 700cx50 tires. I would expect the same speed on a 26" bike using the more common 51.2V 16S LiFePO4 battery or about 24 mph if I had used a 16S LiFePO4.

-R

Thanks Russell, I should have clicked on your link first :oops:

Anyone know if the E-bikekit controller can be programmed to delivery more amps?
I've heard it's an Infineon controller, but don't quote me :roll:

I replaced my Bafang BPM2 with an ebikekit 350w rear. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33763 The mini is not as powerful as the BPM2, MAC or the BMC. However, the mini is a great for a bicyclist looking for assist. Even better when combined with a light weight battery. Very stealthy and fun.

Suggested:
48v@20a 10ah
26" wheel for speed
24" wheel for torque

Back