E-S LMX 64 Bike Owners

Hello! I need some info on the lmx 64 motor. I bought one second hand and all I know it´s a lmx 64 motor 1200w 60v engraved. Lmx webpage doesn´t say much.

How many poles?
Max motor amp / phase amps?
etc.

Thanks

The 15T has the same profile as the 14T...neither of which is perfectly correct for the carbon belt in my understanding. So you may as well use the 15T if you like it more.

Cheers
My belt started skipping on the original 14t motor pulley again.
I found my two years old and never used 15t pulley from ebikegarage to fit a new and larger pulley that I hoped would stop the belt skipping.
To my surprise it did not fit at all. The tooth profile looks good, but the distance between the teeth are way off.
I thought this would be a direct replacement with the same tooth profile as the rear sprocket.
@Cowardlyduck Do you have ant insight to this?
20230514_123641.jpg

Last edited:
Well that's weird....nobody else noticed or mentioned anything like that and my own and everyone else's (as far as I know) has been working fine.

Is it possible that your belt has stretched, or you have a different belt there?

The original design for the 15T came from LMX themselves from memory. I just facilitated getting them manufactured, so if it's the wrong profile, I'm not sure what to say.

Cheers

Well that's weird....nobody else noticed or mentioned anything like that and my own and everyone else's (as far as I know) has been working fine.

Is it possible that your belt has stretched, or you have a different belt there?

The original design for the 15T came from LMX themselves from memory. I just facilitated getting them manufactured, so if it's the wrong profile, I'm not sure what to say.

Cheers
Yes this is strange.. if anything, the belt would have to have shrinked to be able to fit like that..
It's the Carbon volt belt from gates, and the pitch fits the rear sprocket perfectly, so I find that really strange.
Like you see in the picture the belt tooth pitch i pretty far off compared to the pulley.

Hi CD
when you got the new Volt belt, I remember you saying it was too loose and that you needed to order the larger tension wheel.
Did you order the larger rear gear, the larger tension wheel and a new front sprocket at that time?
I'm still using your 15 tooth sprocket. I still using the HL belt from Omega. So no problems with your sprocket on the old belt.
461-1728 8M 12 HL. This belt is amazing. It's well over 2K at full power. Makes no noise and just needs a little water to wash it clean. I've never had it jump over the teeth. It smaller than the Volt belt. I am still using the 115 tooth rear gear. I think the new one was 118.

Yes this is strange.. if anything, the belt would have to have shrinked to be able to fit like that..
It's the Carbon volt belt from gates, and the pitch fits the rear sprocket perfectly, so I find that really strange.
Like you see in the picture the belt tooth pitch i pretty far off compared to the pulley.

It looks like the circular pitch of the small pulley was not adjusted to the smaller diameter but just copied from the large rear pulley. The smaller the diameter of the pulley the smaller the pitch for the belt on that pulley should be.

Circular pitch.png

Interesting stuff @SlowCo and @Joe.
I'm using the larger 118t rear sprocket and the large tension pulley and spring, but still experience slippage with the original 14t motor pulley.
Maybe the 15t motor pulley was made for another belt and 115t rear sprocket.

Anyways I received this message from LMX today: For the belt models, we are now working with a non carbon belt, cheaper and with a very good durability.
Will be interesting to see if this belt helps stop the slippage together with a new 14t motor pulley.

This 14t motor pulley seems to be the LMX64's weakest point..

20230516_125216.jpg

My belt started skipping on the original 14t motor pulley again.
I found my two years old and never used 15t pulley from ebikegarage to fit a new and larger pulley that I hoped would stop the belt skipping.
To my surprise it did not fit at all. The tooth profile looks good, but the distance between the tooths are way off.
I thought this would be a direct replacement with the same tooth profile as the rear sprocket.
@Cowardlyduck Do you have ant insight to this?
View attachment 334061
That pulley and belt teeth pitch starts off looking correct and then looks a little bit off each other. I wonder if the belt relies on proper tension to fit on the wrap contact. If that is the case, the 15t should have a tendency to slip less over the 14t given given the belt fits the same.

That pulley and belt teeth pitch starts off looking correct and then looks a little bit off each other. I wonder if the belt relies on proper tension to fit on the wrap contact. If that is the case, the 15t should have a tendency to slip less over the 14t given given the belt fits the same.
I understand what you mean, but i don't think its possible to stretch the belt that much..

Here is a picture of the same Carbon volt belt with a new 14t pulley.
The tooth pitch looks to be correct compared to the 15t version.

20230523_164832.jpg

I just installed the new 14t motor pulley and had a test ride. No more slippage(y)
The new one is steel while the old one seems to be alloy. Much lighter and you can see the wear on the tooths from the belt.

20230524_205114.jpg

I have also installed a zeb forks to better match the bike.

20230513_174528.jpg

Hey so missed all this since my last post because ES doesn't notify me properly any more...anyway been too busy to look still, but hopefully in the next few weeks. I think it might be correct that it is a belt difference also.
I also have the larger rear sprocket to install once I do put the carbon belt on. I tried once before and could not make it work due to the size difference, but never really looked closely at how it fit the 15T sprocket.

Again, the 15T came from LMX, I did not design it, and this was before the carbon belts were really discussed. So it's possible it only fits the non-carbon belt profiles. It is also possible it wasn't scaled correctly, but I've not had anyone else notice this before now and as far as I know they are all working ok with many thousands of kms, my own included.

Cheers

Hi CD
Here‘s a picture of the your 15T and the omega belt HL. Fits perfectly. You do have to pull it tight. (that‘s my spare belt, 2 years sitting in the cubboard) Since installing the 15T steel, it‘s never slipped.
I am looking at the rear cog of the LMX56. Much smaller. I am hoping they will sell it to me.
I would hope then get a new Omega belt to fit. I think it would work. As long as it doesn‘t over gear it. I mean, they use it on the 56 why shouldn‘t it work on the 64. Would improve the top end back to where we where at the beginning. I also like that it is harder to see.It‘s behind the rear disk.
Any new Batteries out there.I don‘t need to replace, but if there are more powerful ones, I might. Ones that fit into the housing we have.
IMG_1453.jpegIMG_1454.jpeg

Mystery solved!

So I finally managed to have a good look at this and think I've figured it out. What you can see below, is 3 different belts each compared with the 14T and 15T pulleys. Yes my 15T is worn....I sent all the others to you guys :p
The photos are, in order:
  • Optibelt Omega HP
  • Unbranded 'Carbon' belt from LMX
  • Optibelt Delta Chain Carbon
DSC_7742.JPG
DSC_7743.JPG
DSC_7745.JPG
DSC_7746.JPG
DSC_7747.JPG
DSC_7748.JPG
DSC_7749.JPG
DSC_7750.JPG
DSC_7751.JPG
DSC_7752.JPG

The one that obviously doesn't fit is the unbranded Carbon belt from LMX. It does have some markings, but I can't really tell what it says. I vaguely recall these might have been belts LMX cut up themselves to gauge viability of running them....I'm sure the answer is buried back in the pages of this thread if someone feels like digging.
The red Carbon belt is also from LMX and what they sent me later when I ordered a complete replacement rear pulley, and tensioner as I found the other carbon belt was slipping. Well, the reason it was slipping may have actually be the incorrect profile and nobody ever noticed!

Anyway, easy solution...get an Optibelt Delta Chain Carbon and you can still run your 15T. :)

Cheers

Does anyone know how to remove the LMX freewheel?

I'm trying to move it over to my new wheel, but cannot for the life of me figure out to remove it.
New wheel:
DSC_7755.JPG

Old wheel/freewheel:DSC_7757.JPGDSC_7758.JPG
DSC_7756.JPG

I've tried just pulling it straight off, however it looks like there is a lip at the back preventing it.
I have a gear puller I can use, but not really sure that's a good idea.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Does anyone know how to remove the LMX freewheel?

I'm trying to move it over to my new wheel, but cannot for the life of me figure out to remove it.
New wheel:
View attachment 335067

Old wheel/freewheel:View attachment 335069View attachment 335070
View attachment 335068

I've tried just pulling it straight off, however it looks like there is a lip at the back preventing it.
I have a gear puller I can use, but not really sure that's a good idea.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Three jaw gear puller is how I removed mine CD

Three jaw gear puller is how I removed mine CD
Thanks for the input Brian! I suspected it might need that, but wasn't keen to risk destroying it if there was another way.

I only had a 2 jaw on hand and it was just a tiny bit too small...well I made it work any way.
DSC_7761.JPG
DSC_7762.JPG

I did end up destroying the gear puller doing this...I guess now I get a 3 jaw. :p

Any tips for getting it onto the new hub? I don't really want to heat up the freewheel. Will hammering it with a piece of wood to buffer it risk damaging it getting on the new hub?

Cheers

Good morning.
I really need help with my LMX64

I got a replacement 14T belt sprocket, but can't figure out how to remove the old one. Is there a special tool that I need?

Mine looks the same as the one from this post: E-S LMX 64 Bike Owners

The gear simply slides on with a notch. A cover with a countersunk bolt holds it in place.

For anyone facing the same issue, I was able to use a gear puller to get it off. The clearance between frame and sprocket is quite small so most pullers wouldn't work. I found this one on Amazon that worked perfectly: Amazon.com

FWIW, if you find the same problem in something else but can't use *any* puller on it, you can try rapidly heating just the sprocket (not the shaft it's on), especially if you can also cool the shaft beforehand (set an ice cube on it, etc), then pull the sprocket off while it's still hot but hasn't transferred it's heat to the shaft--this makes it expand and loosen it's grip on the shaft (when the heat reaches the shaft it expands too).

Doesnt' always work, but it's often worth a shot before the various percussive maintenance options. ;)

I'm still experiencing belt slippage on the new 14t motor pulley. I'm running the latest hardware from LMX and a carbon belt but still experience slippage even in mode 3 of 5. The belt is holding up and looks good, but the slippage is really loud and annoying. Am i the only one experience this or does everybody else have the same problem?? I would prefer a 15t motor pulley to avoid this, even though i loose some torque in low speed climbing.

Back