E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

MAFIA said:
can somebody tell me the exact size of the rear wheel big nut ? please i dont have a caliper

If you are talking about the axle nut, they are M14 with 1.5 thread pitch or noted as M14x1.5 by most retailers.

Anyway all you stealth owners will be crying when HPC puts out a mid-drive next month, something stealth bikes failed to achieve. :mrgreen:
USA will put you aussies to shame. :mrgreen:

Don't know if you are serious, or just spamming HPC, but if you are serious, I disagree with you about the mid-drive. Having ridden one, I like hub motors much better. Another new mid-drive option on the market wont do anything more to Stealth sales then Opti Bike has. Reason? Too much shifting on the mid drive and even the strongest of bike chains cant handle much over 1kw. Yah, I admit they can gear down and climb steeper stuff, but leave a mid drive in a higher gear and get on the gas, you will be rewarded with super slow acceleration. If there was a mid drive on the market that could handle say 5+kw, run through a wide ratio 3 speed transmission, pedaled like a bike, and had a 420 Pitch chain going to the rear wheel, that would be game changer. What the Ebike industry really needs to do with mid drive units is develop a correct drive train system to handle the power instead of relying on the bicycle industries current options such as a Bmx chains and sprockets combos or MTB thinner weaker chains and thinner weak chain rings and cassette combos for power transfer.

Rick

Wondering if anyone makes a work stand for the Bomber? Something that will lift the bike from the center under the VBoxx so either wheel can be lifted for service?

Rix, yeah it was more of a joke and more of a not that happy stealth has never put out a mid drive bike.

But it looks like mid-drive options are not really good at all. Even the pinion seems to be limited in speed with its 750watt motor. From that article it is limited to 30MPH in top gear and that would never cut it for me.

Probably we are a few years away from a decent mid-drive option.

here is my firts video this is a quick ride when i don't have time i just go for a shot of adrenaline hope all of you enjoy and i welcome any comment
[youtube]3lOQ9JCC_qo[/youtube][/quote]

I can't believe that I misspelled my own user name :( ....oh well. Just received #291 Friday. It got rained on yesterday leaving me with weird readout on CA and no power. How do I get the connectors apart (other that main battery one) to dry them out? HELP...need to be riding in an hour or two. Thanks guys.

Rix said:
Don't know if you are serious, or just spamming HPC, but if you are serious, I disagree with you about the mid-drive. Having ridden one, I like hub motors much better. Another new mid-drive option on the market wont do anything more to Stealth sales then Opti Bike has. Reason? Too much shifting on the mid drive and even the strongest of bike chains cant handle much over 1kw. Yah, I admit they can gear down and climb steeper stuff, but leave a mid drive in a higher gear and get on the gas, you will be rewarded with super slow acceleration. If there was a mid drive on the market that could handle say 5+kw, run through a wide ratio 3 speed transmission, pedaled like a bike, and had a 420 Pitch chain going to the rear wheel, that would be game changer. What the Ebike industry really needs to do with mid drive units is develop a correct drive train system to handle the power instead of relying on the bicycle industries current options such as a Bmx chains and sprockets combos or MTB thinner weaker chains and thinner weak chain rings and cassette combos for power transfer.

Rick
What would be great is if someone could come up with a 2 speed hub drive . Something like the Bafangs with a planetary hub . Why can`t they make it a 2 speed planetary ?

Hnadydude said:
I can't believe that I misspelled my own user name :( ....oh well. Just received #291 Friday. It got rained on yesterday leaving me with weird readout on CA and no power. How do I get the connectors apart (other that main battery one) to dry them out? HELP...need to be riding in an hour or two. Thanks guys.

The three coloured phase connectors pull apart. The metal Hall connector also pulls apart after releasing the snap-lock. If water got into the CA, you might need to disconnect it, pull it out & dry the connectors & any other sign of moisture.

MAFIA said:
here is my firts video this is a quick ride when i don't have time i just go for a shot of adrenaline hope all of you enjoy and i welcome any comment
[youtube]3lOQ9JCC_qo[/youtube]
[/quote]

Mafia, thanks for posting this video, the terrain in Puerto Rico reminds me of Guam. The houses and roads are identical. The vegetation is identical. I miss that Island so much. Also, that would be the perfect roads for an ebike Isle race run.

Brute, with you on that. Also I would just love to see a big geared motor. Something the size of the H40xx or the bigger 54xx Clytes capable of 4-5kw continues and an oil bath setup for cooling and constant lubrication. After riding my dads Lipo powered MAC setup courtesy of Jay AKA Hyena industries Neutron kit, I am blown away at how much work that little thing is doing on 1600 watts (33amp @50 volts) and a 26" MTB wheel. It really is amazing. If I was to win the lottery, I would invest millions for this concept to be produced. I think for the hub motor powered ebike enthusiasts, a big robust geared hub motor like this would be the top of the chain.

Qman, I spoke to a guy that had purchased one of the best homebuilt mid drive bicycles from an esteemed respected ebike enthusiast on the mid drive thread. Not saying his name because I don't know if he would want that. The bike was/is producing 2500 watts of power (lipos) with power being transferred to the rear wheel via 9 speed bike chain. The power from the motor to the crank is via #43 stainless steel chain. It climbs like a goat, top speed was north of 40MPH. Anyway a while back, he PM'd me about the Bombers climbing ability. His reasoning for wanting to get one was he was tired of replacing drive chains every 200-300 Kms. He said the best and strongest chains on the market wasn't lasting very long on his 2500 watt beast. This is why I say the industry needs to build a specific drive train set up for mid drive ebikes. Motorcycle stuff is to big, bicycle stuff is too weak. Motorcycle stuff would not tolerate a derailer for moving the chain up and down a cluster (Cog) set for gear ration changes. The only true solution for a mid drive I see is someone making an internally geared hub like the Roelofs except super heavy duty with wider ratios and 1/3rd the gears, and running a 420 pitch chain from the crank to the rear.

Rick

maybe a kardan like the protanium http://www.protanium.com/
but for higher power of course ;)

geared middrive with different motor options (250W EU legal / 750W US legal / xxxxW offroad) combined with a kardan ... and as a plus: all components waterproof ;)

morati said:
Wondering if anyone makes a work stand for the Bomber? Something that will lift the bike from the center under the VBoxx so either wheel can be lifted for service?

I welded up my own paddock stand. I think you might be able to adapt one of the motocross ones.

Bomber #350 checkin' in!
3 days and 80 miles so far - this thing is a total RIOT!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 2,793
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 2,792
Yes Nevermind, these machines are a blast to ride. Congrats on getting number 350 and welcome to the club :D

Rick

Thanks guys!
I'm just another KTM convert :)
Sold an RFS 450 and a 250 2-smoke, riding a Bomber is so addicting!
The concept of leaving your house and go riding off road trails is mind blowing (I live in large city).
No more loading, towing or packing half of the garage with you, just to be stuck driving for 2h trying to get to the trails.
LHRB is the bomb!!!

LHRB? Leave Home Ride Back? Lol nice!

Whiplash said:
LHRB? Leave Home Ride Back? Lol nice!
Ha!
It's actually Left Hand Rear Brake, something you have to pay for $$$ dearly
on a dirt bike, since the clutch usually occupies that left lever.
Your rear brake is by default by your right foot, pretty tough to operate
with finesse while wearing a heavy duty protective and stiff full motocross boot on!

Hnadydude said:
I can't believe that I misspelled my own user name :(
hahahah
Nice one dysexlicdude :p

nevermnd said:
Left Hand Rear Brake, something you have to pay for $$$ dearly
on a dirt bike, since the clutch usually occupies that left lever.
Your rear brake is by default by your right foot, pretty tough to operate
with finesse while wearing a heavy duty protective and stiff full motocross boot on!

Thats a good point actually, and something I noticed when test riding zero electric motorcycles. I jumped straight on and rode off otherwise the same as I would on a heavy ebike, with the exception that they retained the rear foot brake. I'm guessing this is for familiarity for people who ride normal motorcycles but with the absence of a clutch they could easily use a left hand rear brake lever. I locked up the back wheel at one point when braking hard into a corner which was a little unsettling!

While we're posting pics, here's a pretty cool one (if I do say so myself :p ) that I posted in my build thread the other day. It's an abandoned tram depot I stumbled upon while riding. Some of them are over 100 years old.

Here's a high res version if anyone wants to download it.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1149190_10151852075151528_1836026358_o.jpg
And this is me stooging around there like a big nerd :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiX0H91Dn2A

file.php

beautiful photo Hyena
what is the size of the headset for Bomber?

I know some of you will like this. Others will look at it and ask what the hell a Fighter is doing racing on a GoKart track against EV'd Aprilia RS125 and R1 Ripperton Superbike.

All I'm going to say is, yes, it was a HELLUVA LOT OF FUN..

[youtube]Nt9F03QmOXg[/youtube]

See the accompanying PR post at http://store.quietrush.com.au/1/pos...ogeekfactorx-award-in-2013-hunterevprize.html and lead in articles at:

http://store.quietrush.com.au/1/post/2013/08/ecogeekfactorx-science-incentive-for-hunterevprize.html
http://store.quietrush.com.au/1/pos...ze2013-inspired-rides-in-ashphalt-action.html

The photo at the end of the video will give you some indication of the sidewall scrub, from which you can infer lean angles involved..maybe next year I'll enter a Bomber or Fury :)

I would not run Crazy Bobs if I was paid to do so. Also make sure the tire pressure is at least 60 PSI or the sidewall will turn in some and scrub the sidewall lower. You can feel this EZ on a Bomber, lower the pressure to 40 psi or lower and the bike will want to turn in, at 50 psi it will be neutral > 60 neutral and far better.

nevermnd said:
Thanks guys!
I'm just another KTM convert :)
Sold an RFS 450 and a 250 2-smoke, riding a Bomber is so addicting!
The concept of leaving your house and go riding off road trails is mind blowing (I live in large city).
No more loading, towing or packing half of the garage with you, just to be stuck driving for 2h trying to get to the trails.
LHRB is the bomb!!!

Looking at your comment reminds me of...me. When I First got my Bomber, I rode the hell out of it way more than my 09 XCXF450 and my 08SXF250 with the HT Racing 320 big bore kit. After about 4 month of owning the Bomber, I had only ridden my gassers once, and sold them. They weren't getting used. This year, I sold my Beta Evo 250 trials bike, because I suck at trials, and I only rode it once this year. I have a very busy life, 50-60 hours every week is dedicated to the job unfortunately, so between the job, my 2 year old and off time, I don't get much. I still ride several days a week because the Bomber is at the house, I have an hour here, 30 minutes there, I just get on and go. I am less than 5 minutes away from the dirt/lava rock invested terrain in any direction I ride. Life is good.

Here is sample of some of my on going tire testing coming down the line. I have several 24x 3.00 and 2.60 Razorbacks, I have Bridgestones M23, M403, M203, in the 70-100x19 or 2.5x 19 sizes. I have yet to try the M203 which is a med soft tread tire because I went to the 17" rim. In the 17s I have Duro HF307 currently on the Bomber, I will be testing the Duro HF 308, I have SR241s in 2.75 and 3.00 widths, I also have an IRC Trials tire I want to try as well, thanks Jay. But like I posted before at of all the tires I have tried for on road and off road, the SR241s are still king.

Quiet Rush, great video and the rider had a nice save in the corner there. Not much braking, some regen braking. I think they call that drift. Also, that was neat that the Fighter almost got the whole shot right behind the E Motorcycle. Beat the others off the line. Thanks for posting the vid.

Rick

Attachments

• tires1.png
    tires1.png
    136.8 KB · Views: 2,920
Back