E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Hyena said:
He must have been pressing against something immovable. The axle WILL slide out if done properly. I can't remember if the H40s have a shoulder on one side but if so then obviously pushing from the wrong side will result in the above. :(

Yeah a frozen hub I put 30 ton and heat to get it out but its out

Cheers Kiwi

Attachments

• IMG_2081.JPG
    IMG_2081.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 2,025
  • IMG_2080.JPG
    IMG_2080.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 2,025
kiwiev said:
Hyena said:
He must have been pressing against something immovable. The axle WILL slide out if done properly. I can't remember if the H40s have a shoulder on one side but if so then obviously pushing from the wrong side will result in the above. :(

Yeah a frozen hub I put 30 ton and heat to get it out but its out

Cheers Kiwi
kiwiev said:
Well I had a win and NO I WASNT PUSHING THE WRONG SIDE :mrgreen:

I straightened up the thread too :D

Cheers Kiwi

HOLY CRAP MAN! You may have just saved the day mate!!!
I just hope we can do the same to this hub without damaging anything.

I'll definitely have to make a trip down to see ya with my hub in toe. :)

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
HOLY CRAP MAN! You may have just saved the day mate!!!
I just hope we can do the same to this hub without damaging anything.
OK, you guys are just just trolling us now, right ?

Gonna need more than heatshrink to antifrock that.

I need a lie down.

Either this is a well executed troll or someone's going to need to pass me a paper bag. I suspect the later. I'm serious, I may just pass out from hyperventilating laughter :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heavens.

Why not just make up a set of clamping dropout plates CD that slide into the swingarm dropout slots? Then you don't need axle nuts at all. Much easier than trying to DIY an axle press.

He claims to have hailed from New York but he's so polite he must surely have been raised by Canadians :p

VC, I think in this case you'd be justified to say "f&$k me dead!" :lol:

Samd said:
Gonna need more than heatshrink to antifrock that.

I need a lie down.

:lol: :lol:

CD, if I see a pic posted of heat shrink on your axle threads as a repair, I will assume all hope is lost :lol: .

Alrighty that's long enough... :lol: :lol: :lol: You guessed it Jay. :D

In case you guy's didn't already figure it out, that motor was already toast (from ages ago) and it didn't matter how kiwiev got the axle out...just that he did.
The motor in question with the stripped axle threads is still fully functional and ready to have it's axle swapped over now. :) With the keyway still in place mind you. ;)
I thought it would have been a bit more obvious considering there were photo's of 2 motors 1 page apart one with Red varnish, the other obviously toast.

voicecoils said:
Why not just make up a set of clamping dropout plates CD that slide into the swingarm dropout slots? Then you don't need axle nuts at all. Much easier than trying to DIY an axle press.
Thanks for the tip Abraham!
I think that's one of the best suggestions yet! If it doesn't work out with the axle swap over, this is what I'll try.
I'm just trying to think about how this would be done easily given I have no fabrication tools...I could drill some holes in 2 pieces of 90 degree angled steel plate to clamp together over the axle and clamp to another piece on the other side of the dropouts.
Hope that makes sense...is it what you had in mind?

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:

In case you guy's didn't already figure it out, that motor was already toast (from ages ago) and it didn't matter how kiwiev got the axle out...just that he did.
The motor in question with the stripped axle threads is still fully functional and ready to have it's axle swapped over now. :) With the keyway still in place mind you. ;)
I thought it would have been a bit more obvious considering there were photo's of 2 motors 1 page apart one with Red varnish, the other obviously toast.

Cheers

CD, are you going to build up your motor and use it? Also, are you running the mini E yet? I am really curious to know what you get for top speed with the OVS set at 7 on 12s.

Rix said:
[CD, are you going to build up your motor and use it? Also, are you running the mini E yet? I am really curious to know what you get for top speed with the OVS set at 7 on 12s.
Yeah, if I can get the HS4080 back into operation with either a new axle or the clamp idea, I will definitely let you know.
I will also see what the Leaf Motor manages...it's also a 4T wind so should be roughly the same as the HS4080 in terms of speed.

The Mini-E came back from Russia the other day, so I need to remount it to the bike still...hopefully in the next week or so. :)
Before it had to be sent back I was playing around with the settings and managed to get over 100kph unloaded on OVS3...but that was likely something wacky with the settings.

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:

You'll forgive us for thinking you may have been serious given some of your past hacks (in the true sense of the word) :p
So did he accidently force it against the fatter side of the axle ? Red paint would have saved him :p

What's the stator width on those leaf motors ? I've not had my hands on one but I wasn't too impressed with the similarly sized magic pies during initial testing (albeit years ago now). Sounds like axle overkill but better than being too wimpy. Their bigger diametre makes them stick out more in public which may not be a good thing for those who frown on such things, but I guess you're not trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes on a stealth in general.

Lol Jay...at least I'm not taking your 'hacks' at my ego too seriously. :lol:

Not sure what the deal was on removing that axle, just that it's out...might find out tomorrow when I trek on down to Jindabyne to see for myself. :)

The '1500W' Leaf motor I bought is a 35mm wide stator, however the newer Leaf motor's are over 90% efficient. So the real power capability difference between the HS40 and the '1500W' Leaf is only about 4% lower for the Leaf.
The Leaf motor is also about 2Kg lighter than the HS40 motor's which isn't an amount to scoff at IMO.
Combined with my forced fan cooling mods I think it will equal if not out-perform the HS40 motors. :)

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
Lol Jay...at least I'm not taking your 'hacks' at my ego too seriously. :lol:
Nothing I ever say is to be taken seriously (well, apart from facts/advice)
Half my posts are made to amuse myself, anyone else that gets a giggle is a bonus :p

The '1500W' Leaf motor I bought is a 35mm wide stator, however the newer Leaf motor's are over 90% efficient
Cool, that's better than I was expecting. Let us know if they get that resonant stator hum that the larger pies seem to get. If you're running an adaptto you probably won't get it either way.

The Leaf motor is also about 2Kg lighter than the HS40 motor's which isn't an amount to scoff at IMO.
You sure ?? Admittedly I know nothing about them but that sounds a little too good to be true. We're talking about the bigger motor right - magic pie size ? Around 273mm diameter ? If it has a 16mm axle that means it's chunkier throughout than the crystalyte and thus will be heavier. The H40 uses a stamped steel stator so there's no weight to be saved there. It's also physically larger so will presumably have more iron in the hub/magnet ring. Even if it's thinner it should at best come out around the same. The side covers are also bigger, though aluminium so fairly light either way. There's less than 1kg difference between the H40 and the H35 (ballpark around 800g from memory) so for a bigger motor with a bigger axle I can't imagine it should be any more than 1kg less than the H40... (even if I'm off on a wrong tangent about the wider diametre size of the motor) :?

Cowardlyduck said:
The Mini-E came back from Russia the other day, so I need to remount it to the bike still...hopefully in the next week or so. :)
Before it had to be sent back I was playing around with the settings and managed to get over 100kph unloaded on OVS3...but that was likely something wacky with the settings.

Cheers

Does it have to be sent back to Russia to be fixed? Are the settings in Russian???

remf said:
[Does it have to be sent back to Russia to be fixed?
AFAIK all adaptto repairs have to go back to mother Russia.
Are the settings in Russian???
Either that or you're looking at it upside own :lol:
All the menus and settings I've played with are in English

Hyena said:
Cowardlyduck said:

You'll forgive us for thinking you may have been serious given some of your past hacks (in the true sense of the word) :p
So did he accidently force it against the fatter side of the axle ? Red paint would have saved him :p

What's the stator width on those leaf motors ? I've not had my hands on one but I wasn't too impressed with the similarly sized magic pies during initial testing (albeit years ago now). Sounds like axle overkill but better than being too wimpy. Their bigger diametre makes them stick out more in public which may not be a good thing for those who frown on such things, but I guess you're not trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes on a stealth in general.

I know this isn't a Leaf Motor thread, but how about posting up a pic with it on the Fighter?

I'm also amazed by the 2kg alleged difference. Keen to know.

Hyena said:
You sure ?? Admittedly I know nothing about them but that sounds a little too good to be true. We're talking about the bigger motor right - magic pie size ? Around 273mm diameter ? If it has a 16mm axle that means it's chunkier throughout than the crystalyte and thus will be heavier. The H40 uses a stamped steel stator so there's no weight to be saved there. It's also physically larger so will presumably have more iron in the hub/magnet ring. Even if it's thinner it should at best come out around the same. The side covers are also bigger, though aluminium so fairly light either way. There's less than 1kg difference between the H40 and the H35 (ballpark around 800g from memory) so for a bigger motor with a bigger axle I can't imagine it should be any more than 1kg less than the H40... (even if I'm off on a wrong tangent about the wider diametre size of the motor) :?
Well I'm only going off the quoted specs:
http://www.leafbike.com/products/e-...-spoke-hub-motor-electric-bike-motor-998.html = 7.18 kg
vs
HS40:
http://www.crystalyte.com/h40 series.htm = 9Kg + a few hundred grams since mine was a custom Stealth axle version.
So 1.82Kg Lighter to be exact...but yeah with the bigger axle your right probably not as much difference...maybe 1.5Kg lighter. Still enough to be noticeable IMO given it's unsprung weight.

I don't think this Leaf Motor is any larger diameter than the HS40 motors, but it hasn't arrived yet, so won't know for sure till it gets here. They do sell other motors with the larger Magic Pie style size, but I don't think this one is. They don't list any exact diameter specs, but looking at the image, it doesn't look any bigger diameter than the HS35/HS40 motors.
fb8ae5ff30.jpg

Mind you, as per the link above, the '1500W' Version doesn't have the wires going through the axle like the image above, so it could be completely different again. I think that image is of the '1000W' version with 30mm stator width.

remf said:
Does it have to be sent back to Russia to be fixed? Are the settings in Russian???
Yup...as Jay mentioned, since it's run out of Russia, for Hardware Repairs it's gotta go back...mind you that's how it is for anything these day's. As it turned out, they had to replace the entire power board PCB to fix it, but they don't actually know what was wrong.

Rix said:
I know this isn't a Leaf Motor thread, but how about posting up a pic with it on the Fighter?
Will do. :) I'm lacing it myself, and it hasn't even landed yet, so give me a while.

Cheers

Sounds about right. If you compare both 35mm offerings I get leaf = 7.2kg and 3540 = 7.4kg for a 3540.
You get thinner lams than a 3540 of course, still a steel stator however.

Back