E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Cowardlyduck said:
I don't want to go too off topic in this thread, but just an update for those who were interested. My Leaf Motor arrived for my Fighter yesterday.
I originally asked for (and was told I would get) 165mm shoulders, 250mm total axle length, and 16mm nuts.
They only delivered on the shoulders at 165mm...everything else is as stock, so ~220mm total length, and 14mm nuts. I'm really not too fussed though as the most important attribute I wanted changed was the shoulders, and they delivered on that...at no extra charge, so I'm happy with it anyway, and it will still work better than the HS40 axle IMO.
It also looks like it will fit another old E-Bike I'm in the process of repairing so it won't go to waste if my HS4080 ends up being the reliable option for my Fighter. :)
The original stock 10g spokes from my Fighters HS4065 also (just) fit the spoke holes in this motor, so hopefully the length works also. :)
I'll let the pics tell the rest of the story. :)

DSC_2312.jpg

So all in all, the Leaf Motor makes a good fit for the Fighter...time will tell if it's a good fit power wise, but considering it's about equal in torque with the HS35xx motor's the Fighters originally came with I would say it will be. :)

Cheers

CD, you making any progress on this?. By my calculations, you got 2 weeks before KiwiEv is up and running with his new build.

Rix said:
fsmuggen said:
I have used the maxxis hookworm for 3500km on my fighter and it's great for street use. I will not go back to the crazybob again, they where to soft.
Think the spokes and rim is to weak for a high speed/power setup TV.
Into details: Still can't understand how I'm suppose to fit all theese cells in my fighter, feel I've done some wrong mesurements or wrong calculations..:p

Dam Muggen, you got 480 cells there. No way, you are fitting 1/3rd of that in your FIghter. I get the feeling that either you ordered with other people, got more than one ebike, or are fuqn with us :lol: :lol: With 25R cells, You could make a 14s 34p out of that, have a 58.8 V (hot) 85Ah pack, that would give you some range. I am willing to bet your volt sad under WOT would be non existent. Call it a hunch. :wink:

I have more than twice the amount of cells on the picture. But most of them is for my smal car project. I have enough leftovers to build a new fighter pack though. I like the samsung cells. Reason for using the plastic spacer is to get some space on all sides of each cell. Hot cells in the middle is a bad thing, but not a problem on the bikes I think.

Jimboyr6 said:
Yes yes very good, i stay quiet
Anyway that tyre i showed u on my smpro rim
U think it would b ok for onoff road stuff?

You bet, not saying it will be better than the SR241, but it will be way better than the Razorback that originally came on your machine.

Rix said:
CD, you making any progress on this?. By my calculations, you got 2 weeks before KiwiEv is up and running with his new build.
Not sure why it matters when Kiwiev finishes his new build.
I haven't made any progress on the Leaf Motor as I've been focusing on getting the HS4080 back up and running.
I tried reassembly last night...didn't go so well.
It looks like we didn't' quite centre the axle perfectly and the windings now hit the inside of the freewheel side cover. I'm contemplating options currently.
Ideally I would push it through some more, but I'm keen to get things running soon and don't have access to a press currently.
I could hammer it through, but that risks bending the axle or smashing the end so I can't thread a nut on any more.
Another option is to space out the side cover a bit, but then the flange won't sit under the magnet ring potentially weakening the side cover support characteristics.

Any other idea's (besides the obvious press)?

Cheers

Not sure why it matters when Kiwiev finishes his new build

It matters so you guys can ride together and make more videos for the rest of us to enjoy. I ride like 95% of the time by myself, and I have fun, but its more fun when riding with others.

I could hammer it through, but that risks bending the axle or smashing the end so I can't thread a nut on any more

Besides being hard on the axle, hammering crap into place isn't as precise as pressing. How far are you off with axle placement?

Rix said:
It matters so you guys can ride together and make more videos for the rest of us to enjoy. I ride like 95% of the time by myself, and I have fun, but its more fun when riding with others.
I see. Glad you enjoy the video's. :) Will try to keep em coming. :D

Rix said:
Besides being hard on the axle, hammering crap into place isn't as precise as pressing. How far are you off with axle placement?
Yeah my thoughts also.
The spacing is not far off...only about 2-3mm, but enough for the windings to be touching the inside of the cover on the freewheel side. It's close enough that I was able to fully tighten down both side covers before I realised...just glad I didn't try and spin it up or it would have been a disaster. :shock:

I'm thinking of putting some washers on the inside of the side cover bolts on both sides. For the wire side, that will prevent it pushing the whole stator through to the other side as much, therefore reducing the variance, and on the freewheel side it will space out the side cover enough to prevent it hitting the windings. I'm thinking 1mm each side should be ok, but the flange lip looks to only be about 1-2mm, so not sure how strong that would be.

How important is the flange lip on the side covers? Does it take all the load, or do the bolts? If it's the bolts anyway, I won't have an issue no matter how far out I space the side covers, but if as I suspect it does take most of the load, I really can't space it out much at all without risking the bolts shearing off under load.

Cheers

How important is the flange lip on the side covers? Does it take all the load, or do the bolts? If it's the bolts anyway, I won't have an issue no matter how far out I space the side covers, but if as I suspect it does take most of the load, I really can't space it out much at all without risking the bolts shearing off under load.

Flange ridge/lip is very very critical. The bolts don't take any load, they just hold the side stator cover on. I think you would be asking for trouble if you can't get that seated correctly.

I'm thinking of putting some washers on the inside of the side cover bolts on both sides. For the wire side, that will prevent it pushing the whole stator through to the other side as much, therefore reducing the variance, and on the freewheel side it will space out the side cover enough to prevent it hitting the windings. I'm thinking 1mm each side should be ok, but the flange lip looks to only be about 1-2mm, so not sure how strong that would be.

This could work, but if your axle is off center, that means your stator armature laminations are not properly aligned with the flange's magnets, you might actually get a little more top speed as result, but lose thrust in the process.

Theodore Voltaire said:
Ottodog said:
I'm curious about the gearbox on the B52's. How fast can you get up to before you run out of Pedal power? Can you still pedal at fairly high speeds, or do they spin out pretty quickly?

At 50 mph the cadence is very high, but you can still keep up, and it does make a difference. You can always add about 3 mph to your top speed by pedaling, and at all speeds acceleration is faster.

Riding with my son with his Bomber next to mine, I can easily see the difference between pedaling, and not pedaling.

Thank you! How is the shifting done? Is it a handlebar mounted shifter like a regular derailleur? Is it pretty smooth? I've never ridden a bike with that particular gearbox before and I appreciate the first hand experience.

Its a strange set up like nothing else, bfor u get to ride a stealth u can't imagine what its like
I just leave it in 9th when commuting
U have to stop pedaling to change gear just a twist of the grip shift on left, some gears are noisy but thats normal
See "gearbox grease change"
I dont think we all change gear much unless ur doing slow stuff
So ottodog have u ordered a new stealth ??

My next upgrade is finally ready .... I have been working on this carbon kickstand from the first day I got the Bomber. It took about 4 months, but I have to do other things also :mrgreen:

20150818_182706.jpg

20150818_182903.jpg

20150821_184144.jpg

More details here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62650&start=200#p1088253

Jimboyr6 said:
Its a strange set up like nothing else, bfor u get to ride a stealth u can't imagine what its like
I just leave it in 9th when commuting
U have to stop pedaling to change gear just a twist of the grip shift on left, some gears are noisy but thats normal
See "gearbox grease change"
I dont think we all change gear much unless ur doing slow stuff
So ottodog have u ordered a new stealth ??

Have not ordered one. I am just in research mode. I already have a high power bike from a kit, but was looking for something a little more refined with local dealer support. The local dealer told me they only have 4 black ones available for all of the US. If you want a Red one? Forget it until the end of December... I'll probably get in for a test ride early next week. :)

fsmuggen said:
I have used the maxxis hookworm for 3500km on my fighter and it's great for street use. I will not go back to the crazybob again, they where to soft.
Think the spokes and rim is to weak for a high speed/power setup TV.
Into details: Still can't understand how I'm suppose to fit all theese cells in my fighter, feel I've done some wrong mesurements or wrong calculations..:p

Wow! That's a lot of batteries. Is that what the Stealth ebike batteries look like on the inside?

Rix said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
Ottodog said:
I'm curious about the gearbox on the B52's. How fast can you get up to before you run out of Pedal power? Can you still pedal at fairly high speeds, or do they spin out pretty quickly?

At 50 mph the cadence is very high, but you can still keep up, and it does make a difference. You can always add about 3 mph to your top speed by pedaling, and at all speeds acceleration is faster.

Riding with my son with his Bomber next to mine, I can easily see the difference between pedaling, and not pedaling.

I don't know what you mean by that.

Our bikes are so close to the same power that slight differences can be observed. If we both pedal like mad, acceleration is about the same. If he stops pedaling, but I don't, I start walking him. If I stop pedaling and he doesn't, he walks me.

The difference is easiest to see up near 50 mph because there isn't a lot of acceleration going on up there.

Ottodog said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
Ottodog said:

Thank you! How is the shifting done? Is it a handlebar mounted shifter like a regular derailleur? Is it pretty smooth? I've never ridden a bike with that particular gearbox before and I appreciate the first hand experience.

There's not really much shifting going on. I guess the fastest acceleration off the line would be 7th gear, then 9th. That's about it. A lot of people just leave it in 9th all the time. Anything below 7th is useless for going fast because as soon as you hit the throttle you run out 7th gear pretty fast, and you're accelerating so fast that 8th gear is a waste of time, just go straight to 9th. The VBoxx that comes on bombers is a really great shifting transmission. It shifts with a twist grip on the handler bars. It's like speed shifting a motorcycle, except instead of blipping the throttle to shift, you can stay on the throttle the whole time, and just blip the pedal action when you want to shift. With practice you can get pretty fast at it. It's light years better then a derailleur.

Don't any of you Stealthers use trailers or sidecars for grocery runs or hauling the kids around? Ha!

A trailer would seem to be handy at times.

Happy E-Biking Folks.

Tim.

Archer said:
Don't any of you Stealthers use trailers or sidecars for grocery runs or hauling the kids around? Ha!

A trailer would seem to be handy at times.

Happy E-Biking Folks.

Tim.

I'm thinking about a trailer too. What would be the best point to connect it on a Bomber? I think the motor nut is not a good idea for the issues related to regen break. What's your thoughts?

bigbore said:
My next upgrade is finally ready .... I have been working on this carbon kickstand from the first day I got the Bomber. It took about 4 months, but I have to do other things also :mrgreen:

More details here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62650&start=200#p1088253
That is one very neat side stand .

https://www.facebook.com/PerformanceEbikes?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Hey guys, Hyena were tossing around some ideas about a universal social media location on Facebook for highend ebikes. So Hyena created the Performance Ebikes Anonymous page which I am an associate. Anyway we are inviting everyone to check it out and friend us. It a work in progress and is another way to fuel all of our passions for Ebikes. Think of it as a support group for all of us ebike junkies.

I know you guys probably get tired of hearing this, but it's hard to contain myself. My Bomber is greatest bike I've ever owned. Greater than my 1964 Honda S90. Greater than my 1969 Honda CL175K3. Greater than my 1974 Norton Commando 850. Greater than my 1977 Moto Guzzi Le Manns 850. Greater then my 1988 Harley Davidson XL Sportster 1200 (previous record holder). Greater than my 1997 Harley Davidson FLHRI Road King. And greater than my 2001 Harley Davidson XL Sportster 1200

So why is my Bomber the greatest? Because although some of them came close, none of them gave me the feeling of exhilaration I get riding down the street, flying my streamers in traffic at 45 to 50 mph with only the sound of my tires, and the wind blowing past my ears. It feels light as a feather. It feels like the future, only now. I try to duck my head down out of the wind to hear a sound, but there's nothing to hear. It always amazes me. There's no explosions happening. No fire, No smoke. No vibration. It's magnetic. It's still hard for me to believe it can do this.

And there's the fact that this moose is so strong. No matter what I do, it always feels like it's just loafing along. It never seems to get hot. It never strains a muscle. It never breaks down. It only costs 12 cents to charge it. It never complains about anything. There's nothing else like it. It's so worth to me, what it costs. I'm so glad I bought it.

Theodore Voltaire said:
I know you guys probably get tired of hearing this, but it's hard to contain myself. My Bomber is greatest bike I've ever owned. Greater than my 1964 Honda S90. Greater than my 1969 Honda CL175K3. Greater than my 1974 Norton Commando 850. Greater than my 1977 Moto Guzzi Le Manns 850. Greater then my 1988 Harley Davidson XL Sportster 1200 (previous record holder). Greater than my 1997 Harley Davidson FLHRI Road King. And greater than my 2001 Harley Davidson XL Sportster 1200

So why is my Bomber the greatest? Because although some of them came close, none of them gave me the feeling of exhilaration I get riding down the street, flying my streamers in traffic at 45 to 50 mph with only the sound of my tires, and the wind blowing past my ears. It feels light as a feather. It feels like the future, only now. I try to duck my head down out of the wind to hear a sound, but there's nothing to hear. It always amazes me. There's no explosions happening. No fire, No smoke. No vibration. It's magnetic. It's still hard for me to believe it can do this.

And there's the fact that this moose is so strong. No matter what I do, it always feels like it's just loafing along. It never seems to get hot. It never strains a muscle. It never breaks down. It only costs 12 cents to charge it. It never complains about anything. There's nothing else like it. It's so worth to me, what it costs. I'm so glad I bought it.

Yah TV, I know the feeling. Went for a ride today, will be making another video. Its going to be a little different then my other videos, some slow riding in it amongst other unique stuff. Like you said, I have no regrets on the Bomber and Fighter.

Well said TV! I agree wholeheartedly. Loving my Bomber. Just wish I had a fighter too. :lol:

That kickstand is gorgeous. You even made an Alu mould for it. So nice!!

With regards to a trailer I tow the kids around on a tagalong. They are constantly hassling me for a ride. You can see in the pick how it attaches to the seatpost. Works brilliantly, even in the rough stuff.

Attachments

• Brooms head bike ride 173 (800x533).jpg
    Brooms head bike ride 173 (800x533).jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 2,313
Theodore Voltaire said:
It never seems to get hot.

My stock Bomber motor 5403 became very hot last Sunday while hill climbing at low speed a very steep hill. I reached 122 °C and then I had to get down in normal mode (2kW max) and pedal a lot to keep on climbing :mrgreen: So an e-bike can also be strenuous to ride in certain situations :D

bigbore said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
It never seems to get hot.

My stock Bomber motor 5403 became very hot last Sunday while hill climbing at low speed a very steep hill. I reached 122 °C and then I had to get down in normal mode (2kW max) and pedal a lot to keep on climbing :mrgreen: So an e-bike can also be strenuous to ride in certain situations :D

That's because Bomber's make better street bikes than dirt bikes. That's not a very popular concept here, I know, but it's the truth. The problem with that is most places won't allow it. Luckily for me, Texas isn't one of them.

Back