E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Technically , if your riding your ebike or Stealth in Vic . Australia, even without the key in and pedal power only it`s illegal , so turning power limits down to legal rates is still illegal . Wouldn`t be surprised if other states are the same .
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/cyclist-safety/power-assisted-bicycles

Brute said:
Technically , if your riding your ebike or Stealth in Vic . Australia, even without the key in and pedal power only it`s illegal , so turning power limits down to legal rates is still illegal . Wouldn`t be surprised if other states are the same .
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/cyclist-safety/power-assisted-bicycles

If you have the power electronically governed at 200w than surely it would be fine, because at the time that is the maximum power output...

That said I'm fairly sure stealth bikes are 250w governed so point conceded

Obviously Stealth's target market isn't Australia. Australia wouldn't even allow measly smeasly 350w Storm eBikes into the country, after almost every other country in the world did.

I've been reading for years on the motor bicycle forum about how stinky little 2 1/2 hp china girl gas bikes are illegal in Australia too.

I may be completely wrong, but the problem doesn't seem to be a bunch of people getting killed. The problem seems to be that other people can't stand the fact that some people are having fun, and so they came up with a bunch of bs excuses to justify restricting them. In other words it's a societal problem.

yes indeed.
they are sooo ludicrously anal about it, to the point it becomes irrational.
whatever the reason, there seems to be real resistance to ebikes with anything more then the power of a hairdryer in aus.
i dont mean like this one either-

@250watt limit, i seem to remember reading in the ADR laws there was a clause something to the effect of" any vehicle that is CAPABLE of more then 250watts(200w?) is classed as a motorcycle and requires registration blah blah.."

thus a switch, limitation mode etc. is not going to get around that, if they have reason to put the fine comb over it.

Theodore Voltaire said:
I hate to say this but you guys sound like a bunch of pussy's. We're talking about a freakin 6 hp bike here. Get real. If some kid wants to blow him mind out on a bike, there's a lot faster, and far less expensive ways to do it. Stop wetting you pants about what some dumbass might do on a 6 hp bike for crying out loud. If you want to worry about something, worry about getting rear ended by a bike going 180 mph. Any kid can get one of those a lot easier than a Stealth.

I completely agree, can you imagine anywhere else on Endless Sphere someone trying to tell others how to/not to ride there (much faster)10-25kw home made e-bike?
For some reason, because the bike is made by Stealth it attracts the ownership of pussy's. "Oh I only ride my Stealth 20mph on a controlled course at 4am, with no moon on Tuesdays or Sundays while attending church functions blah, blah, blah."

Stealths advertising sells bikes to people who want a more extreme bike experience, they know exactly who their target audience is. Chances are if you disagree with the advertising methods "you" are not Stealth's target audience. I mostly take issue with other owners trying to tell people what to do with their personal property.

-Dodge sells every car in there SRT line with burnout footage on prime time TV.
-Harley Davidson has benefitted immensely from the "outlaw biker image" associated with the product.
-There are 132 pages of YouTube videos of Sport Bikes outrunning police while doing wheelies above 100mph on shared roads, while the U.S.
sport bike segment continues to be the #1 seller for Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha.

Lastly, if you've cut the limiter wire on your Stealth to unlock off road mode, you can not hold the moral high ground on this subject.

st35326 said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
-Dodge sells every car in there SRT line with burnout footage on prime time TV.

Aus is definitely a nanny state for a lot of fun based activities.

As for burnouts, everyone in Australia knows they are only committed by Lucifer himself and are the cause of at least 12 out of every 5 deaths in Australia.

They are so lethal that when Ford decided to bring the Mustang to Australia, the Australian government wouldn't allow them to sell the car here unless they removed the line locker/burnout mode function... (that last one isn't even a joke) :roll: :oops: :cry:

You think e-bikes are a problem though? Try owning a car that is at all modified... Just try Googling Tracy Grimshaw (the 'A Current Affair' host over here) and it will auto-populate 'hoon' as the next word, that's how often it's covered on the show...

I think the point was, if this keeps up in Australia, they'll take it away. I got bad news, they already took it away a long time ago when they got your guns without a fight.

Theodore Voltaire said:
I think the point was, if this keeps up in Australia, they'll take it away. I got bad news, they already took it away a long time ago when they got your guns without a fight.
I think its a good thing that they got rid of semi automatic weapons here on Australia.

JumperJackFlash said:
1abv,

Really? Are they that much better? I still have the MT2s.

Without a doubt. Ive had my bomber since aug 2014. In that time I have gone though 3 sets of pads and a set of rotors. I ride everyday in very hilly conditions offroad. Not everyone may ride like that.
good points of maguras..
-They dont fade ever.
-They are light.
Bad points of maguras..
-They don't have the stopping power of higher end brakes (Saints, hope, formula, codes)
-The lever travel is way too long before there is any engagement. look it up on you tube and on this forum there are multiple people who have tried different things to fix this, check out this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwfSVQQzexw
-They wear too fast..
-the 4 piston mt series runs 4 pads per caliper WTF???

The bomber is simply too much bike for these brakes. I'm running 203 ICE disks and M820 saints. I have never been able to lockup the rear wheel while im sitting w all my weight on the seat w the Maguras. The saints do it on command. The fronts are just as powerful. Stopping distances are much shorter, The lever travel is what I would consider normal ( The saints can adjust the distance from the bar and the travel before engagement separately) I would recommend them to both street and dirt riders. They simply outclass the Maguras. The saints are confidence inspiring. Totally worth the coin to switch over.

It might boil down to just living in a place that has high crime.... so the man is more busy with perps of felony VS perps of speed :)
I ride by "the man in blue" just about every ride..... and they really don't give a shiz about some old dude on a pedal bike...HAH.
Living the Dream wh by WH! Wahoo.

Currently the price of admission for a turnkey ripping bike is too high for this to be a problem....... and for the diy high power bikes.... there is a certain knowledge threshold to traverse before you can pc something workable together.... then factor in the rather scatter array of information about a specific build and.... you either need a physic degree and alot of time on your hands.... OR you need to pony up $10K to ride with 5200wattS! yeah.

Both of these "current" conditions are conducive to a long stealthy period of ebike riding for me :) .....

Fortunately the comb of a $10K entry fee and/or a physics degree..... tends to equal a more common sense rider...... AKA not a careless HOON.... so I am hopeful.

..... an hey.... don't tell me to not ride like a pussy..... it's fun to toss around and be super safe...... UP with safety, down with FUN.... YEAH...

Where's my long board lager? ......

Between the Stealth Bomber and the Stealth fighter i owned.
I prefer the fighter for wheelies.
i find that 1,000watt is about perfect for wheelies due to the bike having just enough power to lift.

Seeing kids try and wheelie 5,000 watt+ ebikes scares me,
so yes in a way i do see peoples point of view when they blame me for posting wheelie videos.

Rodney64 said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
I think its a good thing that they got rid of semi automatic weapons here on Australia.

Just don't complain with they take your bike away for your own good too.

Theodore Voltaire said:

Yep the US has it all worked out out when it comes to gun laws.

robohead said:
Ariderslife said:
so yes in a way i do see peoples point of view when they blame me for posting wheelie videos.
Fk that man. Keep riding it like you stole it. No one article is going to ruin the world wide fun.

Words of wisdom. Hopefully it's not your wife and kid that gets mowed down by some expert on a shared bike path doing 80kph.

My plans to register my Flux, its still in its box.

In Australia to register a vehicle, you need make, model, body, year, colour, tare, class, engine number and chassis number (vin). To do this first id need to have the chassis checked, and then issued a vin number. Now this is expensive as they calculate into the equation insurance.

YOU Then you need to comply with everything else, brakes, blinkers to name a couple.

This may cost but if i did have an accident and it was proved that the bike wasn't legal it would cost a lot more, and with the current law there's a lot of grey here in Australia.

Rodney64 said:

In Australia to register a vehicle, you need make, model, body, year, colour, tare, class, engine number and chassis number (vin). To do this first id need to have the chassis checked, and then issued a vin number. Now this is expensive as they calculate into the equation insurance.

YOU Then you need to comply with everything else, brakes, blinkers to name a couple.

This may cost but if i did have an accident and it was proved that the bike wasn't legal it would cost a lot more, and with the current law there's a lot of grey here in Australia.

good luck Rodney. i still have that dream too but couldnt wait that long :mrgreen:

if you find a friendly engineer,that could really make a difference too.
with flux frame(or stealth for that matter) you at least have a frame made in australia, which is one of the requirements.
up to 50kph, will be ok with a car licence i think but over that needs motorcycle licence

ridethelightning said:
Rodney64 said:

good luck Rodney. i still have that dream too but couldnt wait that long :mrgreen:

if you find a friendly engineer,that could really make a difference too.
with flux frame(or stealth for that matter) you at least have a frame made in australia, which is one of the requirements.
up to 50kph, will be ok with a car licence i think but over that needs motorcycle licence

I still have the box, it's still wrapped so I'll see how I go. But the bottom line for me is I have trouble riding responsibly when the adrenaline kicks in.

Traffic relief no fumes spitting in people's face no heat coming off tail pipe ridiculous fun commuting to work can be best part of your day! Thanks stealth forgiven people with no mechanical skills or electrical knowledge the means to be able to rip around town

Kepler said:
Theodore Voltaire said:

Let's just say don't believe everything you read, and leave it at that. What I can say from personal experience is, in my whole life I've never know anyone personally that was killed or even wounded by a gun, but I've known more than a dozen people personally that died on their bikes.

http://youtu.be/Lt6oKRQqoSc
That was informative, and interesting.
Now back to wheeling on cycle path ermmm i mean in road

Kepler said:
Theodore Voltaire said:

Here is another statistic, remove Chicago, Detroit, Los Angles, and New York from this, and the US becomes the 6th lowest gun violence country in the world. What makes it funny is these cities have the toughest gun laws in the US. Ironically, our least densely populated state, Alaska has the highest rates death by gun rates of any state in our country. But because Alaska is so sparsely populated, they could have 9 homicides a year and detroit can have over 300 and be considered less violent. ///Edit/// this is per capita.

Another funny stat is the number of homicides committed with firearms and how its reported. Most statistics for death related reports caused by firearms also include officer involved shootings and self defense shootings. I think the stats should only report, "Murder" rates by guns and not "Homicides" rates by guns as homicides can be justifiable. An example of Justifiable homicide....Two guys break into my house with intent on harming me and stealing my shit, so I shoot them both dead in self defense. The killing of one or more humans by another human/s is homicide, but under the scenario I presented, the killing for self defense purposes is justified. Another scenario that happens alot, actually daily across this country is officer involved shootings. When officers shoot a perp, it for self defense or the defense of others. But for reporting purposes, a firearm was used in a homicide. Anyway you can't go off charts and conclude that an accurate reflection of murder committed with guns. Here is a scary number, border killings and murders on the Mexico side of the Border since September of 2001, over 40,000 people. US Soldiers, Sailors, and Contractors, and citizens, killed in Afghanistan and Iraq since September 11, 2001, just under 7000 people.

Back