E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

I made this adapter for power take off on my sons B52.

Lighting-adapter.jpg

Cozen89 said:
Haha you do sound a little like an infomercial but with the specs you mentioned, I don’t blame you. No converter needed, bright, and affordable? Can’t really ask for more. I’m not the best at electrical, how do you plan to wire it up? Thanks!
litespeed said:
The one I have is actually amazing and relatively cheap. It has a daylight mode, low and high beams and works up to 60 volts. I can not for the life of me figure out why everyone doesn’t have one??? Not a cheap piece of crap either. Very well made, lighting is great, daytime-low-high function works well and the mount is very, very solid. This light is very, very bright! I’m installing blinkers and tail/stop light and wanted a low/high light to complete the package. I wasn’t ready to fork over the $400+ cash for the best available Supernova M99 pro……this at 1/4 of the price is the next best thing. I do have the Supernova tail light though…..very well made unit. https://ebikes.ca/spl-01-1900-lumen-ebike-light.html And to boot it’s from our sponsor Justin/ebikes.ca so what a great way to get one of the most advanced lights available for a great price while supporting this great forum you found out about this on!!!

I know….I sound like an info-mercial but it’s a great ebike find.

Tom

P.s. don’t notice the wires……it’s a work in progress & not hooked up.

I have a dc/dc converter and I’m using the uLight controlled through the Nucular 24F controller. I’ll post pics when I’m done.

Tom

Tom,
What are you using for a fuse/ breaker and are you using a precharger?

Thanks!
Alex

I’m in line for a 24f nuke and wanted to see what others were doing.

I use a 63 amp DC breaker. My 8mm battery connectors have anti spark and I charge through the controller so no issues with any of that. 63 amp breaker has been good up to 17,000 watts so far……..I’ll push it to 20,000 at some point but in all honesty 17,000 is too much for me to handle on anything else but a straight line on pavement. That’s wearing a bicycle helmet and tennis shoes. Front end comes up too easy and rear end looses traction too easy on anything remotely loose. Full race gear would warrant some more power……but on bicycle trails 17kw is way too much.

Tom

Litespeed,
If you don't mind a few more details?
-Where did you get your breaker from and what is it?
-what anti spark connections are you using Powerpoles?
-what gauge wires are you using for your battery?
Thanks for the info in advance! I'm trying to determine my build but im a little in the dark about some of this any help would be great!

Does your super nova tail light have a working brake light too? Or just a light up tail light?
litespeed said:
The one I have is actually amazing and relatively cheap. It has a daylight mode, low and high beams and works up to 60 volts. I can not for the life of me figure out why everyone doesn’t have one??? Not a cheap piece of crap either. Very well made, lighting is great, daytime-low-high function works well and the mount is very, very solid. This light is very, very bright! I’m installing blinkers and tail/stop light and wanted a low/high light to complete the package. I wasn’t ready to fork over the $400+ cash for the best available Supernova M99 pro……this at 1/4 of the price is the next best thing. I do have the Supernova tail light though…..very well made unit. https://ebikes.ca/spl-01-1900-lumen-ebike-light.html And to boot it’s from our sponsor Justin/ebikes.ca so what a great way to get one of the most advanced lights available for a great price while supporting this great forum you found out about this on!!!

Tom

1abv said:
Tom,
What are you using for a fuse/ breaker and are you using a precharger?

Thanks!
Alex

I’m in line for a 24f nuke and wanted to see what others were doing.

After 9 months of waiting yesterday I made the payment for two Nucular 24F. One will go on the Bomber and one on my Citycoco Harley scooter.

Cozen89 said:
Does your super nova tail light have a working brake light too? Or just a light up tail light?
litespeed said:

Tom

Mine has the brake light also.

Tom

1abv said:
Litespeed,
Thanks for the info in advance! I'm trying to determine my build but im a little in the dark about some of this any help would be great!
1abv,

I don’t remember exactly where I bought mine but this is very similar, https://www.solaris-shop.com/midnite-solar-mnedc60-60a-circuit-breaker/
I use the offshore electric 8mm ones because the 10mm were not made when I built my battery. They are huge and are good to 200 amps…….I run mine higher! https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-qs8-anti
I have 8 gauge battery cables because they were out at my supplier of 6 gauge.
8 gauge is ok up to 225 amps and 6 gauge up to 275 in bursts…..not continuous! If I hold full throttle (17 kw) for more than 7 seconds I’m at 65 mph or higher.

I’ll help with anything I can.

Tom

When converting my mt5 brake levers to mt5e to control a brake light, am I looking for nominally open or nominally closed levers? Thanks!

Cozen89 said:
When converting my mt5 brake levers to mt5e to control a brake light, am I looking for nominally open or nominally closed levers? Thanks!

Normally open, but why not just get the rechargeable taillight I linked? No wiring required, and it works great as a brake light.

litespeed said:
1abv said:
Litespeed,
1abv,

I don’t remember exactly where I bought mine but this is very similar, https://www.solaris-shop.com/midnite-solar-mnedc60-60a-circuit-breaker/
I use the offshore electric 8mm ones because the 10mm were not made when I built my battery. They are huge and are good to 200 amps…….I run mine higher! https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-qs8-anti
I have 8 gauge battery cables because they were out at my supplier of 6 gauge.
8 gauge is ok up to 225 amps and 6 gauge up to 275 in bursts…..not continuous! If I hold full throttle (17 kw) for more than 7 seconds I’m at 65 mph or higher.

I’ll help with anything I can.

Tom

Tom
Thanks for your help! Those anti sparks are perfect for my application. How do you determine the capacity of the fuse?
Is it based off the gauge of the wire? or the output of the battery? or controller?

Thanks!
BTW on another note I use a timer on my charger and I've noticed that if I plug the bike in there is a small pop. But If I turn the timer on then off then plug in the charger to the bike no pop... interesting...

That small pop is from electricity arcing between the contacts on the relay inside of the timer. More than likely what will ultimately happen is the contacts will weld themselves together during one of those pops. At that point the timer will be unable to open the contacts to stop the flow of electricity. Or worst case it eats away at the contacts causing a poor connection, a rise in resistance, heat, and potentially bad news during extended use.

So as long as I turn it on and off before attaching it then it should be fine because there is no pop correct?
Oh yes and the pop was coming from the point where the charger plug touches the charge port of the bike.
The timer is several feet away from that.. Not sure if that matters

Ah, in that case disregard the comment about the internal timer relay. Though the arcing isn't good for the other contacts either, so best to avoid it when you can. 🙂

When you said, “Fuse” I assume you meant breaker? Back when I bought my MaxE it was the recommended size…….I just been using it with the Nuc 24f and all is still good.

I actually have no idea on how to size a DC motor beaker. I searched years back and never found any logical answers. I have found various “theories” but the fact that my y3 amp has held up to 200 amps for 5 or 6 years and to 300 amps for 6 months defies logic. This makes me think I’m either lucky or clueless, and of those two, the latter is a given.

https://www.allumiax.com/breaker-size-calculator

According to that calculator, I should be running a 325 amp breaker?!?! WTF?

Tom

I think this talk about circuit breakers is about using an A/C breaker for D/C?
It's not recommended to do that, but we don't let no stinking sissy recommendation stop us.
Basically the size breaker you would use in an A/C circuit, will be half that size for the same current in a D/C circuit.

The reason A/C breakers aren't recommended for D/C has to do with concerns about arcing when the contacts separate which could cause the contacts to weld together. That just says to me that if the breaker ever trips, you should consider it wasted, and replace it with a new breaker. Breakers don't cost much anyway.

I’m using a D/C breaker and I would assume 99% of the guys running them are also.

Here is a big one…… https://www.altestore.com/store/enclosures-electrical-safety/overcurrent-devices-fuses-breakers/panel-mount-circuit-breakers/midnite-solar-250amp-125vdc-panel-mount-breaker-p9924/

Tom

That calc is pretty interesting. I suppose I would have to do the math on what the max battery output would be and not on the phase side. I've run into a similar situation where no one is able to tell me what size breaker to use and what its based off of. like cable size, battery output... time of day.... what I had for lunch that day...

51200186566_cbb74967bf.jpg

Made it up this monster.....then took a nice long motor cool down break..

1abv said:
That calc is pretty interesting. I suppose I would have to do the math on what the max battery output would be and not on the phase side. I've run into a similar situation where no one is able to tell me what size breaker to use and what its based off of. like cable size, battery output... time of day.... what I had for lunch that day...

51200186566_cbb74967bf.jpg

Made it up this monster.....then took a nice long motor cool down break..

Yeah that does look like a monster. I think I'm stupid enough to make it down, but I'm not sure about going up.

litespeed said:
I’m using a D/C breaker and I would assume 99% of the guys running them are also.

Here is a big one…… https://www.altestore.com/store/enclosures-electrical-safety/overcurrent-devices-fuses-breakers/panel-mount-circuit-breakers/midnite-solar-250amp-125vdc-panel-mount-breaker-p9924/

Tom

Wow.. That's a powerful breaker! that site looks like a pretty good resource. delving deeper into the danger zone... and now for an appropriate pic..

51217778959_783211d086.jpg

So for a while now I've been calculating power per mile used off-road on my unit.

To be conservative I generally use 72 watt hours per mile. (about 1 amp per mile). The actual is a little closer to 66 watt hours per mile or I get about 1.08 miles per amp. And when I'm closer to or over 1 amp per mile for a while (about a mile or so) I have to throttle back because I'm getting close to 120 degrees. Anytime i'm do pavement riding (generally between trails) The usage goes wayyyy down and the temps stay around 90-95 degrees.

Also the longer the temps stay hotter the longer it takes to cool down. Usually when I get to the mid 90's it takes a lot longer to come down a degree then when its at 110 or so. In the 90's it goes down by points of a degree..

How about you fellas?

Back