• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

ebike bow hunting - Alabama style + Zero hunting motorcycle

What was in that vid that made it worthy of posting? Is there some hidden joke or something? On the face of it, there's nothing there to compensate me for the click.

Nehmo said:
What was in that vid that made it worthy of posting? Is there some hidden joke or something? On the face of it, there's nothing there to compensate me for the click.

I guess somewhere we need a "clicker beware..." disclaimer ... :roll: :lol:

I think it's great to see! I know of some hunters that would be interested once they tried it, but unfortunately most that I know don't see the need yet.

Hopefully it will become a new market for E-Bikes, it definitely has potential, just never know with the public, hope it catches on! :)

british special forces ride the tidalforce montague which folds up for dropping by parachute along with the paratroopers. very effective stealth transportation in situations behind enemy lines.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/86832-Electric-Hunting-Bike

DSC03236.JPG

cheating, doesent this break the robotic code of ethics to chase down the animal and kill it?

now sightseeing or chasing the animals. that could be new sport. The other day (few months ago when the there wasnt two feet of snow )i was chasing a group of canada geese at my new golf course. they seemed to be lining up for me to chase them around. i dont know who won , but it was a BLAST. I got covered in birdshit but it was worth it!!

While I don't hunt.
To each their own.

I have run up on a deer on my Ebike.
I crept up/stopped 5' away while it ate shrubs.
Maybe 10sec passed before it noticed me.
Gave me a slow double take. Then F'd off.
DD motor silence made all the difference.
That was a great ride :mrgreen:

If I had to hunt to survive, this setup would be for me.
sk8norcal said:

DSC03236.JPG
I'd go a lil' different component setup. :roll:
But a Crossbow mounted on the handle bar like that seems ideal.

Well, that ain't a bow in the linked video; that's a rifle in a case. No matter, to each their own. I'm not anti-hunter, and would far rather have hunters on eBikes than quads polluting the woods with noise...

sk8norcal said:

DSC03236.JPG

Nice rig. Quote from the owner:

The nice part of it is I can run 10x farther that I could ever walk or pedal on a normal bike and not be spent... I got 22 miles on my last charge and that had little to no pedaling (just wanted to see how far it will run). The nice thing is that if your battery dies, you just pedal home.

Very cool.

TonyReynolds said:
Well, that ain't a bow in the linked video; that's a rifle in a case. No matter, to each their own. I'm not anti-hunter, and would far rather have hunters on eBikes that quads polluting the woods with noise...

Hear, hear!

Electric Vehicles in the forest makes plenty more sense than gas, I don't want the gas vehicles banned, but where there are restrictions on larger vehicles that idiots use to tear things up instead of respect the land, and E-Bikes and LEV's can go with out damaging things, it's all the better for all concerned.

hydro-one said:
cheating, doesent this break the robotic code of ethics to chase down the animal and kill it?

now sightseeing or chasing the animals. that could be new sport. The other day (few months ago when the there wasnt two feet of snow )i was chasing a group of canada geese at my new golf course. they seemed to be lining up for me to chase them around. i dont know who won , but it was a BLAST. I got covered in birdshit but it was worth it!!

Don't do that in Washington State, that will get you thrown in jail! :roll: :evil:

It's actually called "harassing wildlife" or some such nonsense, and has very stiff penalties including jail time especially because they are considered a game animal.

There was actually a airman sent to court martial and dishonorably discharged for chasing some down in the road and attempting to run them over with his truck! (I'm not in agreement with that kind of action either, but the punishment should fit the crime, a severe fine would have been sufficient. :roll: )

Oregon probably isn't much better, but I ride past "resident" Canadian Geese (it's been a problem with them taking up residence instead of following normal migration) where I ride along the bike path.

I love it when they get their hackles up and try and bully me, just gives me a good excuse to blast them with the air horn! :twisted: :mrgreen:

I haven't ever been attacked, but no joke, they threatened on a regular basis on Mc Chord Air Force base in Tacoma WA where I was stationed.

Too bad someone with brains didn't allow us to control them with some common sense, when they were forced to start closing parks because of all the goose feces, the brainiacs in the government decided it was best to spend a large amount of money and start rounding up the geese to gas them to death rather than allow hunters to pressure them.

That's government for ya, rather than harvest some birds and feed the needy, gather them up in nets and gas them and throw away the bodies. :roll:

This would be a great setup. It is generally illegal to chase animals, or hunt from a vehicle, but getting quietly into the woods is useful and better for everyone out there. Hunting quads are very quiet, but electric is quieter. I have thought about putting an electric auxiliary motor on a quad. Then you can switch to silent running mode when that is useful. A hunting hybrid.

That's not a crossbow, it is a compound bow.

Hunting with or from a vehicle is illegal here, but not to access the hunting territory.

Then the idea that an Ebike or E-motorcycle is better for hunting because of silence is wrong.
The game is not scared by the noise of a motor, and that is why hunting from a vehicle is illegal in the first place.

Alan B said:
This would be a great setup. It is generally illegal to chase animals, or hunt from a vehicle, but getting quietly into the woods is useful and better for everyone out there. Hunting quads are very quiet, but electric is quieter. I have thought about putting an electric auxiliary motor on a quad. Then you can switch to silent running mode when that is useful. A hunting hybrid.

That's not a crossbow, it is a compound bow.

Gee, sounds like a Movie. Instead of "Run Silent, Run Deep", you could have "Run Silent, Run Further".

Or something like that.

MadRhino said:
Hunting with or from a vehicle is illegal here, but not to access the hunting territory.

Then the idea that an Ebike or E-motorcycle is better for hunting because of silence is wrong.
The game is not scared by the noise of a motor, and that is why hunting from a vehicle is illegal in the first place.

Hunting from a vehicle is illegal almost everywhere, and it's illegal because of the danger to other users of the road. Even in the backcountry you cannot shoot from your vehicle.

My beef with motors in the woods is that I personally go there for the silence. While I realize that most states and provinces have to manage woods for "multi-use", I still value the silence.

LI-ghtcycle said:
Oregon probably isn't much better, but I ride past "resident" Canadian Geese (it's been a problem with them taking up residence instead of following normal migration) where I ride along the bike path.
FYI they're really tasty...
:wink:
locK

TonyReynolds said:
Well, that ain't a bow in the linked video; that's a rifle in a case.
I give you credit for catching that. Either that, or I should criticize everyone else for not noticing it. (What I noticed was the stupidity of the rider with his crosswise manner of carrying a long object.) And the contrast between the two hunting implements is worth noticing too.

Because bows & arrows aren't as effective as rifles & bullets, bows & arrows make for a higher proportion of wounds versus kills than a rifles & bullets. The hunter wounds the animal, and considering the dedication of your typical beer-party hunter, nobody trails the animal to finish them off. The animal eventually dies a slow death from the infection caused by the arrow hanging out her/his ass.
TonyReynolds said:
No matter, to each their own. I'm not anti-hunter, and would far rather have hunters on eBikes than quads polluting the woods with noise...
"To each their own" is repartee for matters of taste of style, not ethics.
To me, it's intuitively objectionable to seek out, stalk, and kill an animal in his or her natural habitat, often somewhere distant from civilization.

I can tell you that many hunters trail exhaustively and make every effort (and the whole group becomes involved in the search), and that it is difficult to get close and get a good shot opportunity so the average bow hunter wounds a lot fewer deer than a rifle hunter that empties his gun at a running animal or shoots at too great a range. Also the significantly higher effort of archery hunting filters out a lot of folks and the skill and dedication level of those in the field is higher.

Alan B said:
I can tell you that...
Anecdotal.
Simply saying that you are "dedicated" and bestowing other compliments on yourself isn't persuasive. Hunters are frequently unwilling to admit to wounding without recovering.

Deer & Deer Hunting: The serious hunter's guide p 242 & p243
'Purdue University scientists conclude that “During regulated hunts for either antlered of antlerless deer the per capita wounding rate (per 100 hunter days) by archers is 1.5 times that by gun hunters” '

Small sample, maybe, but hardly anecdotal when based on field experience.

Interesting if true. A small university study may not be the final answer. The process of their study may well have filtered the quality of rifle hunters above average or changed the hunting conditions in other ways that affect the result. But in any case the study does not support the statement that archery hunters don't trail their wounded deer. Perhaps that comment was anecdotal.

Even if true it is irrelevant in the big picture since vehicular wounding and killing of deer far exceeds hunting, at least where I live. Weather and loss of habitat are even larger factors and have just about wiped out hunting in a lot of areas. Plus the take by archery is small compared to rifle so the total impact on the herd due to archery is insignificant.

Also, just in reading two pages of that report I can see that the science is questionable. For example "compound users often shoot the arrow completely through -- compounding the problems of tracking", indicates an inadequate understanding of the processes involved. In addition, through and through wounds have a much better chance of healing.

Archery hunting is a lot safer for the hunter as the effective range is reduced, improper identification of targets is significantly reduced and shooting at noises in the brush is not practiced with arrows. In addition, beer party hunters don't use bows, rifles are much easier and archery hunting is too much work for them. It is also more pleasant in the woods for hunters and other forest visitors without all the rifle noise.

It is difficult to carry a bow on a bicycle. Mounts are available for ATVs but they are generally crosswise which is less of a problem on a vehicle as wide as an ATV. Bows are fragile and difficult to safely grasp for a mount. The market for bicycle bow mounts is pretty small. The successful hunter also has a challenge bringing home the take on a bike. :)

Nehmo said:
....To me, it's intuitively objectionable to seek out, stalk, and kill an animal in his or her natural habitat, often somewhere distant from civilization.

If not for your ancestors doing exactly that, you would not exist. :wink:

Back