Ebike fire

DogDipstick said:
...why it was opened...

Is it reasonable to assume he purchased this pack:

https://m.aliexpress.us/item/2255800908158659.html

Then cut that pack open and did exactly what he outlined he does here:

https://youtu.be/OFjR-WeonNw

Then literally duct taped it back together...

Edit:
Uh oh. Looks like he uses that same battery on all his complete builds where he uses that frame. They all are listed with a 72v 45ah pack:
https://www.ebay.com/str/ebike1com

The description says 40 amp Max and are you telling me a 45ah battery can only put out 40 amp Max.. My 8ah pack has 200 amp cells and use at 60amp Max. Spim08 8ah cell big and cheap.

45mph @ 72v would be 60-70 amps on a 40amp pack the pack was made for a 40ampp controller and 1,500 watt motor or 35mm stator.
The bike needs A123 or Samsung 40t or something. Stealth had problems making up powerful enough pack at first so .
But as A.W said he was braking so Regen I had a power velocity controller that I couldn't reprogram one of the first ones and it was doing 2300 Watts back to my pack but the pack was made out of A123 cells. So just tickled it going downhill with the break no BMS How was it programmed ?

aroundqube said:
The bike looks to be built on a Le-Bui frame - https://www.facebook.com/Lebui70/ .

Its not. I want to say that definitively. It is a TOB "Wannabe LeBui-style" frame.

I am kinda disgusted by the response on the Reddit thread by TOB, the company. Basically just leaving the buyer on his own, and laying blame. It is sad, the excuses the seller is giving. DO NOT buy one of these firetraps if they are built like this with zero suppport after the sale. Trash cells, trash pack, modified, and sent to a user who knows no better. This is the shit that makes the stuff I do get regulated.

LeBui frames are beautiful constructions. They sell to many major manufacturers and are top notch quality. Built by a team in Indonesia. They are headed by a man named Gede DiJaya ( also a friend of mine). Quite a bicycle engineer, he provides a certain frame to a certain major manufacturer and is probably set for life with those proceeds. He has built a bike for the princess of Indonesia, even. Custom built just for her.

They must not do business with TOB... Mike does not sell them ( he had a LeBui frame based bike listed on eBay for 5000$ once a long time ago,) so he tried to make his own frame.

This frame is a shitty, open tube, poor design, with little strength and very poor wrap on it. The worst welds all over it, that you might have ever seen in your life. Some of the poorest fabrication I have ever seen in my life on the TOB design. Hire a frockin real welder if you must, but the welds on most of the TOB bikes are embarrassing to look at. I dont know what the attraction is at all. It a poor " ebike" ( really a wannabe emotorcycle with a shitty afterthought pedal system on it... ) straight rate suspension, no dogbones or rockers, no linkages, and wide enough to ft a QS180 in it, .. and get this.. chains on both sides of the rear wheel ( yes, a greasy chain on the rotor side.. Lol... ) . Hype, not performance, is what sells these things. Poor geometry for a dirt bike or a streetbike. Its not even painted for the good lords sake. Like a 6 year old with crayons built it from scratch, not a bike with a drafted plan and parts drawings. This is really gonna piss me off if the Buyer is just left out to hang and not get any reparation. I honestly have no need, will, or desire to have friends like this.

DogDipstick said:
The worst welds all over it, that you might have ever seen in your life.
Worse than mine?

(at least my welds don't fail, dunno if TOB's do or not).

amberwolf said:
(at least my welds don't fail, dunno if TOB's do or not).

Yes.

Worse than yours A. Wolfie. A poor looking weld is not meaning its a bad weld... but its the janky shit he does.... with someone's 60mph ride on the line,, and the life on top of it... Welders dont frock round with their trade, and know it well,a dn know when someone fakes it.

But here is another review of the quality of this frame. So you might not think I am biased or anything.

rsz_tob.jpg

First, and foremost, i am a motorcycler . I am gonna leave all you guys in a few years and go back to rockets... I know bikes inside and out. i know quality.... owned lots, have a few sitting in the garage. Iver seen the Gixxers crack and the Kawasaks romp. I got bike scars from when I was 4. Bigger ones from when I was 7... 8, 9.. and so on. I have ridden floppy, lame, weak structure bikes for some time, I have ridden stiff, strong, race bikes for some time. I have ridden cruisers, dirt bikes, rockets. Dukes, Suzooks, Hondos, Kwacks. Hogs. Yammies. AMCs. I have owned one of all those. My father owned 50 motorcycles once. I got my vintage sidecar in the garage waiting. I'll have 100 electric hp under me some day. Maybe even 150 or 200hp. you wait and watch. i know what is reliable, I know what is good.. I know engineering fits and am skilled in computer design...and...

... and welding rotors to pit bike disks is a trash concept, poor execution, and an example of the quality of the purchase.Pisses me off, for I know how " little" a little guy can be, when he is out of luck. Poor and broke. Just out, just straight and honest. One thing that makes me wanna Crusade for the little guy... .... and the buyer should get his money back. Straight up.

Can you say " warp all day" and " no other brake rotor you see in the world is welded for certain good reason... " ... Jesus he could have bought a real rotor instead of saved a buck. I got a hundered stamping houses ready to cater to my needs if I need something made.. and my dad just spend 100 million dollars here in the USA for a powerplant in Japan cause Mitshubishi trusts him with the money.... We know how to make shit happen, in the engineering world. I have seen it my whole life, and am proud of the years of learning and skill it took.

IF 5% of your bikes burn.. rethink your design.
317635153_154966473940235_3170710122100616510_n.jpg

...ere is what M. Moser of TOB said about his bikes once... Well, wheres the guarantee? What is your guarantee worth?

" I guarantee a TOB will never break" ...

Yeah sure Ok. That man worked hard to buy a good, expensive, turnkey ebike.. and now he only has a broken, burned, trash, hulk. Jaimie worked hard to pay for that, and now he is left with a hulk. That is all. I love my ebike friends. I dont wanna see anyone ripp anyone off, or get ripped off.
Capture2.JPG

Well, wheres the guarantee? What is your guarantee worth?

DogDipstick said:
317635153_154966473940235_3170710122100616510_n.jpg
That is worse than my various early experiments welding sprockets to things for CrazyBike2's early middrives made from powerchair motors....

And much scarier because it is the *brake*, so when it fails it's probably going to kill someone. :(

And besides the welds...it only has at most half the bolts holding the rotor on (I can only see two of the six possible ones, but one might be behind the axle).

amberwolf said:
so when it fails it's probably going to kill someone. :(
Anything like this.... is an " experiment..." and not a salable consumer durable good. This should not be sold to a buyer who expects 60mph ebike performance, and rely on that performance to keep them safe. Brakes are a whole specialized field of design for sure. I once knew this guy named " Massive" who designed brakes for race cars, I learned alot about the material choices, hats, and other compromises they have to make to get big brake kits on small cars for racing events. Kind of use that you see the wheels glowing and the tires smoking upon braking into the turn.

Yeah. that is the thing. Welded assy do not like red hot thermal cycles and this causes cracks in the HAZ. That, and loading, at the same time. Great recipe. Plus you cannot buy it off the shelf any more... and am out of luck when the consumable rotor is done. With a one off design. Who knows its concentric even.. I promise it is not, within a real, turned and ground rotor, spec. Was it measured with a dial? Was it annealed then heat treated to relieve the stress? Is it gonna go back to a pickle shape the first time it gets red hot? Is it even stainless anymore with all that heat? Burned the chromium right out of a tacked weld like that. It is not even welding.. Its a tack, there, holding those rotors together. See any filler? Nope. Just tack tack tack.

I am damn proud of my learned skills, and knowledge, and can take being told I am wrong. Unlike some others. There are better ways. Buyer should not be at fault at all. This is something that burns me. I dont like. Its bad for the hobby, might be and probably is inconsequential to the rest of the world.. but it burns me and I dont even know the guy. You cannot tell a consumer who knows little about a bike except riding, th, that it was his fault the bike burned, on the first day, first outing, 3 miles in. There are riders, then there are mechanics. You should not be required to become a mechanic to make the purchase of an ebike. You paid, it should work. TOB should make the buyer whole again. That is my opinion. Period. Pisses me off cause TOB is a part of the community, the community I am a member of.. that is all. I dont like seeing people ripped off. Makes my blood pressure go off.

In all fairness the guarantee was just that the bike would not break, looks like he rode it all the wait to the scene of the fire....

And think that brake weld job is a design feature, there can be no warranty claims if there is nobody alive to make the claim :shock:

Attachments

• file.jpg
    file.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 594
I should clear up I think the buyer should be made whole 100% plus a carton of smokes for all this. He just wanted a cool eBike, it was the seller responsibly to provide that and not a rolling bbq

Wattster said:
I should clear up I think the buyer should be made whole 100% plus a carton of smokes for all this. He just wanted a cool eBike, it was the seller responsibly to provide that and not a rolling bbq

Eric Luna of Luna Ebikes once got sued by a blind man because the blind man crashed the bike. True story.

I mean... how hard can it be?

You should know about the buyer. He spent 20 years in prison for…. My experience with felons (who’ve spent up to 7 year in prison... not 20) is that they are expert manipulators. In conversation Jamie has a way of blowing up anything you say to where you want to say “I didn’t mean it like that”. The buyer Jamie had it for 1 day vs a builder who’s been doing it for the better part of 10 years. My money is on, when the customer installed the battery he dropped it or crushed it and is simply lying about it. He’s not that smart. Said it’s overheating and buried his head in the smoke to try and disconnect the battery. He had said in text “it’s wicked tight, I feel good about it” then about the foam “I just pushed it up and rach slid it in”. IMO if it took two people to install the battery then ya did it wrong.

I have one customer who scrapped at least 2 packs in his build and tried to blame me for not knowing how to build the replacement. The 2 packs were built one other builder and I totalling $5000. The failure methods were 1 protruding bolt that nearly scrapped the molicel pack, and rocks/debris/water that entered the custom vehicle’s battery tray scrapping the bottom 4 and other pouch cells. I have had other far more moronic customers too. Like the dumbass who brought me a 4.75” holesaw and some 8x8 .188” steel plates to make a qs138 motor mount when I told him to just get em laser cut. Among other things he messed up. Never underestimate a moron customer’s capability to frock something up.

Last edited:
I fully understand how people can mess stuff up. Not trying to defend the poor decisions made by the buyer before or after the fire.

But as the seller of a complete bike not a diy kit he should take into account people do crazy things and it doesn't sound like the builder put much effort into protecting the pack. A open frame like that should have built in protection for the battery or the batteries case needs to be up to normal use and the includes a uneducated customer shoving some foam in to fix a rattle.

What if the bike was dropped on a trail ride a stick stuck in the battery? Would that be the buyers fault for dropping the bike?

Judging from the rest of the bike the builder has the skill set of a ten year old turned loose in a shop unsupervised but thinks he is a pro after watching hours of YouTube.

My personal thought is some weld splatter rubbed through the janky built frame or a short happened inside the battery from poor design and insulation.

To the "outsiders" that are not into EVs we need to hold builders and sellers to a high standard as they will group all EVs together.

Defending a seller who cuts corners at very chance, welds brake rotors together and is activity telling people to bypass their BMS blows my mind. This guy is dangerous!

Don't see what any of this has to do with THAT battery. Selling batteries like that should be getting you prison time.

Anyone on here who knows even the basics of batteries knows that thing was an accident waiting to happen. Hes lucky the buyer didn't know what he was looking at because if someone sold me that i would be on the phone to trading standards where i live. He would be raided shortly there after and all that junk would be seized.
Thankfully nobody got hurt, hopefully the authorities have a look at this guys business practices and hes shut down before someone does get hurt. He has neither the skillset nor the moral fiber to be doing what hes doing

Tony01 said:
You should know about the buyer. He spent 20 years in prison for screwing somebody up physically, very badly I might add (massive internal injury). My experience with felons (who’ve spent up to 7 year in prison... not 20) is that they are expert manipulators. In conversation Jamie has a way of blowing up anything you say to where you want to say “I didn’t mean it like that”. The buyer Jamie had it for 1 day vs a builder who’s been doing it for the better part of 10 years. My money is on, when the customer installed the battery he dropped it or crushed it and is simply lying about it. He’s not that smart. Said it’s overheating and buried his head in the smoke to try and disconnect the battery. He had said in text “it’s wicked tight, I feel good about it” then about the foam “I just pushed it up and rach slid it in”. IMO if it took two people to install the battery then ya did it wrong.

I have one customer who scrapped at least 2 packs in his build and tried to blame me for not knowing how to build the replacement. The 2 packs were built one other builder and I totalling $5000. The failure methods were 1 protruding bolt that nearly scrapped the molicel pack, and rocks/debris/water that entered the custom vehicle’s battery tray scrapping the bottom 4 and other pouch cells. I have had other far more moronic customers too. Like the dumbass who brought me a 4.75” holesaw and some 8x8 .188” steel plates to make a qs138 motor mount when I told him to just get em laser cut. Among other things he messed up. Never underestimate a moron customer’s capability to frock something up.

Olek.x said:
Don't see what any of this has to do with THAT battery. Selling batteries like that should be getting you prison time.

Anyone on here who knows even the basics of batteries knows that thing was an accident waiting to happen. Hes lucky the buyer didn't know what he was looking at because if someone sold me that i would be on the phone to trading standards where i live. He would be raided shortly there after and all that junk would be seized.
Thankfully nobody got hurt, hopefully the authorities have a look at this guys business practices and hes shut down before someone does get hurt. He has neither the skillset nor the moral fiber to be doing what hes doing

First post eh? The battery and build looks fine. He had a pro weld up the frames until he learned how to tig. They’re built 100% in house except for the batteries which are built to his spec. It’s a nice looking bike and it appears to have the right figures for frame geometry and components up to the task (no bicycle components like brakes). My batteries don’t come with protection. It’s up to the buyer and most have done just fine. That battery HAS protection. Just cause it looks like shit doesn’t mean it is. A good looking littokala is a total POS for example.

Welcome to ES.

Tony01 said:
looks fine.
Welcome to ES.

Oh yeah. Welcome to Endless Sphere.
05onfire1_xp-superJumbo-v2.jpg

Lol Srry I had to.

Tony. Honest question. When you had your problems with the battery customer.. did you ship properly? This is one thing I wonder about. I see alot of shady shipping practices. Very few actually ship legally.. and are subject to creating a danger for everyone.

Its not cheap. Shipping legally. With labels and UPS accounts and the signatures you need here and there. I do certainly consider, just for to be on the side of safety, if the seller/buyer has a record of the shipment and the treatment it got.. and whether it got what it deserved. Tony.

Here is a question. Was the battery shipped properly, with a double box, 30% of nominal watt hour capacity, and with a special hazard shipping label on it, red and white, saying such things as : "3481" and or a phone number and " GROUND SHIP ONLY " or " Cargo AIR ONLY"? If it was not, this is a big problem and might have caused the damage to the battery. Batteries are special and need special shipping. You cannot just ship a battery without special labels. This is one thing I would be explicitly bragging about, and showing proof of, if I was the seller and shipper. Proof that I was following the correct channels and care in teh handling of such an item. Proof of myactions to ensure safety. With the liability attached. I have seen a few pics of large piles of paper, foam, and cardboard, i did not explicitly look for those labels in teh pictures of the bike that caught fire.

I do wonder. Did you have any issues with legal shipping of large packs? I have shipped a few. It is not cheap, especially if you ship them far. To another country, expect to pay hundreds. Customs and shit. Even on this forum you find a myriad of people shoving full Priority Mail mailers full of junk cells, well over the legal limit ( well over 10x the legal limit, lol) and endangering people who ship the packages, and endangering thepeople who receive teh packs also.

As for your opinion, Tony... Do you think the sellers ebike was good enoughto adhere to something such as a modern standard? In use by manufacturers ( real manufactures) today?

Your honest opinion reflects that the seller builds a bike that adheres to all these modern, in common use, standards?

Honest question.

Here is an example. This is just the title page, scope of what the Standard encompasses. The actual standard is very thorough. From what I can tell.

UL 2849 : UL Standard for Safety Electrical Systems for eBikes
1 Scope

1.1 This Standard covers the electrical system of eBikes powered by a lithium-based, rechargeable battery. EBikes include both Electrically Power Assisted Cycle (EPAC – pedal assist) and non-pedal assist eBikes.

1.2 Electrical systems as referenced in 1, may include onboard components and off board components of eBikes. As a minimum, the electrical system consists of the drive unit, battery, battery management system (BMS), interconnecting wiring, and power inlet. Any additional components or systems required to demonstrate compliance are included based on the overall system application and risk.

1.3 Off board components include dedicated chargers for charging batteries that are removed from the eBike during charging or dedicated chargers for charging batteries that are in place on the eBike during charging.

1.4 This Standard does not cover the mechanical structure of the eBike unless specified otherwise.

Summary of Topics

This revision of ANSI/CAN/UL 2849 dated June 17, 2022 includes the following changes in requirements:

– Add reference to alternate battery charger standard; 6.3, 23.1– Align pedal cessation test with EN 15194; 41.3.1, 41.3.4– Clarify strain relief test also applies to hazardous energy circuit; 39.1.1– Add references to alternate standards for positive temperature coefficient device; 6.3, 19.7– Align dielectric strength test condition; 30.2– Add tolerance of speed for startup assistance mode test and cutoff at maximum speed test; 40.4, 41.5.4– Clarify marking requirements; 43.1– Add motor windings Tmax value when measuring temperature with resistance method; Table 28.1– Update compliance criteria of impact test and mold stress test; 33.5, 34.5– Add endurance test for the external terminal of a removable battery pack; 11.4– Add references to additional standards for cables and connectors; 6.3, 24.1, 24.2– Add exceptions to enclosure requirements in accordance with UL 62368-1 / CAN/CSA C22.2 No. 62368-1; 13.2.1.2, 17.1– Revise short circuit test to specify discharge protection/control circuit; 32.7.1– Revise enclosure requirements in accordance with UL 746C; 13.2.1.3– Revise flammability requirements to incorporate requirements of UL 62368-1 / CSA C22.2 No. 62368-1; 17.2– Revise operator interface requirements to address communication devices; 5.3A, 5.10A, Section 21– Revise shock and vibration test requirements to allow testing to CSA C22.2 No. 62133-2 / UL 62133-2; 6.3, 32.9.3, 38.2.3– Clarification of functional safety requirements; 5.10B, 5.10C, 6.3, 12.1 – 12.7– Update reference to CSA C22.2 No. 62133 / UL 62133; 6.3, 11.1, 11.3– Editorial updates to Annex A – French translations.

I was found liable for 165,000$ in damages once. Its pretty easy. In our judicial system. To ignore what you have to do. To save your own ass. When it comes down to it. I didnt even have to lift a finger to lose that 165K$ but it was mostly settled in arbitration. They knew I did not have hundreds of thousands of dollars.... but they didnt take nothing.. nope. How much you think the settlement is on a 165K$ judgement? Its not little.

Lol.

Tony01 said:
He spent 20 years in prison for s

You do know.. If they let you out of prison.. you are legally considered to have paid the debt. I am also a felon. Forever. Spent a very tiny bit of time in jail, not prison. Point is, who are we to judge anyone.

Olek.x said:

Anyone on here who knows even the basics of batteries knows that thing was an accident waiting to happen.

Legally, here, such a thing would entirely be a civil matter. I do not thing they would prosecute a criminal negligence case in this matter, you would need a "Mens Rea" proven to show an intent to commit a crime here, that which we all know the seller did not do. No one wanted this. It would end in what is called a " Nolle Prosse" and all charges would be dropped because of zero intent.

However, such a matter is available for debate in our " civil " judicial system. The civil lawyers in teh United States are vampires of the system.

Well see we will probably never know. Jail isn’t the same. A lot of people don’t like the build quality, I don’t like the whole thing. Everybody’s just trying to cover their ass. I think if you’re gonna ship a bike then just ship the whole thing turnkey. You have to make things as foolproof as possible. Sometimes you can’t! I’ve never shipped a battery illegally or improperly. But I decided to just not do it anymore after recalling all the n2.1 packs I built. It really hurt my pocket. I did build some safe batts, but after one nightmare customer of a complete bike build with battery... I just gave up. If I sell anything now it’ll be complete running bikes built my way or the highway.

Hi Tony

Yeah first post, yeah. i work for a company developing ebikes within the EU that meet the standards you have to before you can legally sell them like EN15194, but relevent here for batteries you would be looking at using EN 50604 to cover how to setup your testing plan for the safety performance of battery packs and systems that meet International Standard for charging electric vehicles (IEC 61851-3) and applies to batteries covered in the International Standard for EV battery standardisation (ISO 12405-1)

My colleagues and i saw the video online and it started a debate at work into the whole cowboy builder scene

I find your assertion of the battery being "fine" interesting, since you seem to be well informed could you explain in your professional opinion in as much detail as possible where you can, the safety testing procedures this guy set-up and subjected his batteries to and any subsequent certification that was achieved or awarded?

In the real world where 'fine" isn't a recognised qualification of safety. product's are designed by qualified engineers and are tested to stringent standards, so that members of the public don't die horribly in a house fire after they put the battery on charge.

No in the real world its when trading standards come round and shut your entire cowboy operation down.. all while you are giving them your best assertions...but ive self certified this battery to meet my 'fine" standards

No tony it looked like shit because that's what it was.. im calling a spade a spade here

Btw this post is not aimed at this forum theres a lot of people doing a lot of great work on here and this builder had been called out on here.

P.S
I don't really get your reference to a "good looking littokala" because im yet to see such a thing..

Tony01 said:
Olek.x said:

First post eh? The battery and build looks fine. He had a pro weld up the frames until he learned how to tig. They’re built 100% in house except for the batteries which are built to his spec. It’s a nice looking bike and it appears to have the right figures for frame geometry and components up to the task (no bicycle components like brakes). My batteries don’t come with protection. It’s up to the buyer and most have done just fine. That battery HAS protection. Just cause it looks like shit doesn’t mean it is. A good looking littokala is a total POS for example.

Welcome to ES.

Olek.x said:
Hi Tony

Yeah first post, yeah. i work for a company developing ebikes within the EU that meet the standards you have to before you can legally sell them like EN15194, but relevent here for batteries you would be looking at using EN 50604 to cover how to setup your testing plan for the safety performance of battery packs and systems that meet International Standard for charging electric vehicles (IEC 61851-3) and applies to batteries covered in the International Standard for EV battery standardisation (ISO 12405-1)

My colleagues and i saw the video online and it started a debate at work into the whole cowboy builder scene

I find your assertion of the battery being "fine" interesting, since you seem to be well informed could you explain in your professional opinion in as much detail as possible where you can, the safety testing procedures this guy set-up and subjected his batteries to and any subsequent certification that was achieved or awarded?

In the real world where 'fine" isn't a recognised qualification of safety. product's are designed by qualified engineers and are tested to stringent standards, so that members of the public don't die horribly in a house fire after they put the battery on charge.

No in the real world its when trading standards come round and shut your entire cowboy operation down.. all while you are giving them your best assertions...but ive self certified this battery to meet my 'fine" standards

No tony it looked like shit because that's what it was.. im calling a spade a spade here

Btw this post is not aimed at this forum theres a lot of people doing a lot of great work on here and this builder had been called out on here.

P.S
I don't really get your reference to a "good looking littokala" because im yet to see such a thing..

All these builds and batts are of a diy nature. None of it is legal on road. Most PEVs on the road are not legal. This guys bike should not have been on the road at all, whether he’s in the bike lane or low power mode. Every EUC and many scooters are sold here running on Chinese crap electronics and nobody seems to care. Of course they all store and charge them indoors so it’s a disaster waiting to happen. And there’s thousands of them out on the streets. In my mind a few guys building half a dozen diy style ebikes in a year isn’t a big deal. The inside of his battery looks fine, the outside does look like shit. What I meant with the littokala comment is that a crappy battery with some shiny shrink wrap would look good too. How it looks on the outside short of a sexy metal case usually has nothing to do with how it performs.

Just to shift the frame of conversation a bit. I'd like to discuss this from a different angle. Hypothetically, what if this were an IC motorcycle? That wouldn't be unusual. I see motorcycles on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace all the time, hundreds, where the seller has rebuilt, swapped, or altered the engine of a motorcycle. Altering and rebuilding a critical, complex and confusing (to some) element of the bike. So Hypothetically, let's say an independent mechanic sells a rebuilt motorcycle engine to a buyer, who takes it out on its first ride, which promptly fails catastrophically 9 minutes later. What happens then? Presumably swearing, tears, and a phone call between the two parties about who should pony up for repairs.

The outcome of my hypothetical situation above isn't important. Nor am I trying to incite a discussion about what is better, gas or electric vehicles. I'm wondering, if the situation involved a gas bike, would it be accompanied by hundreds of YouTube and reddit comments arguing with each other? Would the public be throwing blame at the buyer and seller and arguing about who was at fault, and what the buyer screwed up, and what the builder did fatally wrong?

The discussion seems heated because the novel nature of electric vehicles incites strong opinions about what is and isn't wrong, and who should or shouldn't regulate the buying or selling of scratch built vehicles. The IC vehicle industry is over a century old, but you still have independent and amateur mechanics modifying cars and bikes and engines, frequently imperfectly, sometimes with disastrous results. Gas cars catch fire too, but nobody seems to throw blame about what idiot caused it. Because gasoline catches fire sometimes , even if you're careful. We're just used to it after a century of infrastructure built around IC. Batteries can be flammable too.

Im not saying this particular case was unavoidable. Just noting the seemingly incendiary (pun intended) discussion, especially in comparison to conventional gas car mishaps.

In the uk it comes down to if you are a business seller or not. If you are theres a minimum 3 months warranty so theres no real argument.

Doing anything on the side is a legal grey area. But everything can be tested in court and the burden of proof is far less for civil matters.

I don't know the legal status in the USA. I'd have thought you guys have pretty solid consumer laws and protections too.

harrisonpatm said:
Just to shift the frame of conversation a bit. I'd like to discuss this from a different angle. Hypothetically, what if this were an IC motorcycle? That wouldn't be unusual. I see motorcycles on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace all the time, hundreds, where the seller has rebuilt, swapped, or altered the engine of a motorcycle. Altering and rebuilding a critical, complex and confusing (to some) element of the bike. So Hypothetically, let's say an independent mechanic sells a rebuilt motorcycle engine to a buyer, who takes it out on its first ride, which promptly fails catastrophically 9 minutes later. What happens then? Presumably swearing, tears, and a phone call between the two parties about who should pony up for repairs.

The outcome of my hypothetical situation above isn't important. Nor am I trying to incite a discussion about what is better, gas or electric vehicles. I'm wondering, if the situation involved a gas bike, would it be accompanied by hundreds of YouTube and reddit comments arguing with each other? Would the public be throwing blame at the buyer and seller and arguing about who was at fault, and what the buyer screwed up, and what the builder did fatally wrong?

The discussion seems heated because the novel nature of electric vehicles incites strong opinions about what is and isn't wrong, and who should or shouldn't regulate the buying or selling of scratch built vehicles. The IC vehicle industry is over a century old, but you still have independent and amateur mechanics modifying cars and bikes and engines, frequently imperfectly, sometimes with disastrous results. Gas cars catch fire too, but nobody seems to throw blame about what idiot caused it. Because gasoline catches fire sometimes , even if you're careful. We're just used to it after a century of infrastructure built around IC. Batteries can be flammable too.

Im not saying this particular case was unavoidable. Just noting the seemingly incendiary (pun intended) discussion, especially in comparison to conventional gas car mishaps.

harrisonpatm said:
I'm wondering, if the situation involved a gas bike, would it be accompanied by hundreds of YouTube and reddit comments arguing with each other? Would the public be throwing blame at the buyer and seller and arguing about who was at fault, and what the buyer screwed up, and what the builder did fatally wrong?

Yes certainly. Happens all the time.

I am an " engine mechanic. "

We build hand built engines. The one we work on now is about 500K-800K$, final cost.

Trust me, it will work, for the buyer who has contracted our work... and we have business insurance to make sure the product of our labor is covered. Our insurance covers it. IF TOB had business liability insurance, they just might pay out. TOB certainly presented themselves as a business, with a product. When the sale was made. The product is the work, TOB does, on custom bikes.

One thing you really hate, as a mechanic.. is the dreaded " come back" where the customer comes back and you have to fix their problem cause they already paid and there is still a problem... I have a " come back" coming in this weekend, a water pump I replaced a year ago, and now the coolant temp sensor is bad ...or thermostat is stuck and they are comming in this weekend for me to check it out.. I will " check it out" for free,, but I will get paid to do the work because the car lasted well over a year since I last worked on it. An Xterra. They scheduled the appointment with a " you did my water pump last year? I think? " and if it is a bad water pump, again, its not my liability.. that Nissan was fine for a year.... IF she tries to say I did something wrong, or get free work now, i will have to lose a customer. See ya! Phone book is filled with other mechanics, maybe one of them can help her. Nothing I can do for someone who wants free work a year later. My insurance will not cover her problem. IF the problem had happend the day she took it a year ago... yes my insurance would look into covering her damages. However, here we are, a year later.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=business+liability+insurance

BUSINESS LIABILITY COVERAGE IS CHEAP AS SHIT!!!

I am insured for well over a million. I could straight up do a million dolla worth of damages to someone... and they would get the million dollars cause i paid my insurance premium. It is why it exists. So problems ( TOB bike burning) like this are.. settled. Lawyer Vampires live for this. Teh are retained by the company to fight whateveer might cost the company a dime. To settle, or to win, the damages . It is why they exsist.

Product liability insurance is different, and not as easy to get, I think . I dont know much there. I do know, I am liable, for the work I perform, on a customers item, and my business insurance covers this. IF I am contracted, for labor on an item, and I destroy that item, the " owner" of the work contract ( person paying me) will get the item replaced in full. My work is insured.

I do not know how a product insurance is acquired, or what it entails.

I am a member of a group on FB called " SINCE YOU REMAPPED MY CAR".... and it is an exact example of people trying to flame others online over poor work, and the tuner garage's response to it all. Hell yeah they go online and try try try! "IMMA GONNA SUE!"

"Oh you blew up my car!!"
" I can prove it!!!"
"Imma gonna git lawyers involved!!!"

IF it can be proven that the " tuner" blew up the car, put a piston in backwards, forgot to put a new seal on the oil pump pickup.... Started the car and gave it to the customer with zero oil in it.. something like that.... yes the business insurance can and will pay for the ( customers) damages the business caused.

Howeve, most take the car, drive it away, and come back months later when they blew up their car themselves and try to blame the engine builder or tuner. Nope. Not months later. Wont get a dime. Your fault you blew up YOUR engine.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/476249046596769
( ^^^ that group is funny a s***)

Would the public be throwing blame at the buyer and seller and arguing about who was at fault, and what the buyer screwed up, and what the builder did fatally wrong? HELL YEAH THEY DO IT ALL DAY!!!!

.....just cause you point your eyes toward electronic vehicles,.... does not mean.... What you are NOT looking today at does NOT exist. Just cause you cant see it, are not looking at it, does not mean it doesnt happen.

So people yell at these ICE tuners for " messing up the map inmy car" and they all take it online. Fight fight fight. I could show you ten examples of people trying to flame the DIY racecar ECU seller... Or the Tuner garage, for a bad product... but there are a few hundred thousand out there operation fine.... and racing cars... with fire breathing record setting race cars....

"Oh Megasquirt PnP blew up my 700hp Coyote!"

-----That was one hell of a lawsuit.

The makers of the MSNPNP won that one.

MsPnP has a hundred world records. Hundreds of thousands of working, on the road today... record setting, diy ECUs int he cars on the tracks. One Coyote blown up is nothing special to the engine tuning computer.

Now... if there was only 1 MSPNP in the world, the Coyote lawsuit might have been found differently. The product might have been found defective and damages awarded,, but the item was sold with zero warranty, expressed or implied, in writing. So the makers of the MsPnP were not liable. A court might find for damages, ... if this was teh one and only MsPnP in the world.. sold with a promise and warranty that it would work.

If it was worth enough for a suit. Hell a MS2 or MS3 kit cost like 300-400$. Lol. Built cheap and disposable. DIY kit. No liability.

If I ever have a product to sell, I am calling it a " diy kit" and absolving myself of responsibility. Easy as pie. I am not selling " a working durable good". I am not " liable for the purchased performance of the item".

Lets say the MsPnP blew up EVERY Coyote that the put on the ECu... then the Coyote owners could get together and win a class action lawsuit. IF the cost of the damages and or system was expensive enough to warrant a lawyer.

It is the concept of a " bonded contract"...

A contract bond is a guarantee the terms of a contract are fulfilled. If the contracted party fails to fulfill its duties according to the agreed upon terms, the contract “owner” can claim against the bond to recover financial losses or a stated default provision.

All contract bonds guarantee the performance and or payment of the obligations under contract.

Not a single thing is really built in the United states without a bonded contract. A city, municipality, private company, would be incredibly stupid to offer a contract without the requirement of a bond.

Its contract law. Well developed since well before the year 1000AD. Lol.

There are 10,000 or more DIY turnkey ebikes built by amateurs that worked fine and was no problem. Sold to other enthusiasts. Without problem.

Its when you try to get rich ( selling bikes for 6K$) and the you fug up... that you are to be held liable. Buyer did not get what he expected, and that was a working bike.

Seller should have just had buyer provide their own battery, and absolve himself of that liability.

harrisonpatm said:

Valid points. While ice engines and related fires are not normally news worthy we did have a some growing pains with gasoline and "best practices" were devolved to mitigate most potential problems but a quick search of boats exploding dock side will remind us they are not fool proof even in the modern era.

It's one thing to cowboy and build something knowing the risks and another to sell something as a product. They should be held to different standards

Back