ebike REGEN, whats the record ?

Thanks for your insight Kingfish.

I use regen set to max power with my little direct drive from Conhismotor, but it's not very strong. It drags back the bike slowly and very often I have to complement with brake. That's maybe the drawback with a "lightweight" direct drive of 4.6kg.

By the way, I was wondering if there is a risk of short-cut with a dual regen?

I mean, if 1 controlleur is doing regen and the other one is drawing current from the battery, would that make a big boom in the battery? :?

cwah said:
Anyone tried the dual drive regen?

I've done dual controller regen. My 6 phase motor uses 2 controllers. I have one regen on the ebrake handle and the other by a momentary switch, a horn button. I set the controllers at different regen levels, so I have 3 levels of regen, Low activated by the ebrake, which I use the most, Medium activated by the horn button, which is the other controller set for higher force regen, High, which is both at the same time. It's not as good as variable regen, but much better than just single force on/of switch regen, because now I have the gentle regen which is great for keeping speed reasonable going down mountains, or preparing for a stop and add stronger force when I need more braking power.

The worst was with Hubmonster and the big 36 SteveO controller that has something like 12 shunt wires on it. On the lowest setting it put out 70-80A of regen, which is fine at 40 or 50mph, but at 15mph 70A going into the battery at such low efficiency means you better be prepared when you hit that brake. I wanted to avoid adding motorcycle brakes, so on a bike the gets up to speed crazy quick then stopping 360lb safely and reliably requires regen to carry most of the workload. I don't want to find out what a catastrophic front disc brake failure is like on a bike.

So no issue with regen on a single battery? I would have thought some issue may occur with dual regen if only 1 of the 2 motor is doing regen.

Also, I have a small DD of 4.6 kg, so I always use regen to the max because it doesn't have very strong braking power. :lol:

cwah said:
So no issue with regen on a single battery? I would have thought some issue may occur with dual regen if only 1 of the 2 motor is doing regen.
Why?

I don't understand how that could happen. If it could work/fail the way you suggest, then a car alternator could not charge the battery while the battery is running the car, nor could solar panels charge the battery bank while the battery bank was also running a house, or you use a celphone while it is being charged, etc. ;)

But car alternator, solar panel and cell phone have a separate input and output wires.

I was thinking that in our case we could have a harness to parallel the main power wire into 2 controller. So the main wire may sometime discharge and charge at the same time into an unique cable. That's why I'm wondering if any issue may occur.

The battery doesn't have separate input and output wires on any of those devices--in each one it uses the same wires for charge and discharge. It is exactly the same as with your scenario.

A solar panel runs into an MPPT or other charge controller, which feeds output power to the batteries, which at teh same time are feeding power thru the same connectors to their load, usually an inverter of some type.

A celphone most likely uses it's charger to run power to the battery terminals (or rather, the BMS on the battery), and to the phone at the same time. it's still directly connecting the battery to both, if it's like the ones I've done power-troubleshooting on. Some might use a pwoer control chip that isolates the battery from the phone and charger, which means that it actualy doesn't do it the way I'm discussing, but that would add cost.

On a car, at least the older ones I've worked on, the alternator output runs to the battery, and the entire electrical load also connects to the battery, so it's just like the solar panel and ebike connections---charging and discharging at teh same time.

If there is charging/regen going on, but the load is greater than the charging current, then the majority of power is coming from the charger/regen, and the rest of the power comes from the battery, and the battery isn't actualy going to charge at all.

If there's less load than charging current, then the battery will get whatever charging current isn't used by the load.

if there's no charging current and only discharge, it all comes from the battery.

if there's no discharge but only charging current, it all goes to the battery.

My friend rode my e-bike up Mt. Diablo with me. I was going super slow as I'm out of shape and was on a unicycle. 10mph average speed throughout the trip.
12Ah 6s battery, used about 9Ah to go up. Really glad that my ebike has regen!

Attachments

• 20160505_141455.jpg
    20160505_141455.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 192
  • 20160505_141459.jpg
    20160505_141459.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 20160505_141501.jpg
    20160505_141501.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 20160505_141507.jpg
    20160505_141507.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 192
50% on my zero at the Mont Washington.

2kWh to go to the top and 1kw of regen on the return!

Doc

Back