Ebike speed limiter switch

simon_snow

1 µW
So i bought this kit its gonna come in a few days and i wanted to install a speed limiter switch with a remote so it cant be seen to limit the speed to 25kmh has anyone the knowledge to guide me through the process, or even a link to where i can buy one because i cant find one for what im searching for.
Thank you beforehand

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231121_032358_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231121_032358_Chrome.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20231121_032321_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231121_032321_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20231121_032313_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231121_032313_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 8
I've not heard of a device like that yet.

Does the system itself have any way to limit speed via connecting a wire pair together? (some do, most dont'). If so, you can use one of the many wireless remote relays, of whatever voltage will run off your bike battery, to remotely connect and disconnect them. one example (though it's 12v or ac-110v powered, so you'd need a 12vdc dc-dc converter as well for it. better is one that runs direclty off your battery voltage); these things are around $10 or less depending on the range needed and whether you need a DC-DC (another $10-20).
Amazon.com
1700540504003.png1700540525327.png

If it doesn't, one option is to install the Cycle Analyst v3 from Grin Tech ebikes.ca with a speed limit on one preset (of two otherwise identical ones), and use that remote relay to switch between the presets via wires to the aux input, as one example. CAs are around $150, but they also do much more than just the one thing.
1700540749531.png

Or you could create something based around a wifi or BT capable version of an Arduino or ESP32, that reads a speed sensor on your wheel and your throttle, and sends the unmodified throttle signal on until the remote is activated to turn the limit on, and then it reduces throttle whenever speed goes above the limit. You can then use an app on your phone to control it. Or use one of those wireless remotes to switch an input on the Arduino/etc to control it, and use a plain non-wifi/bt version of Arduino/ESP32/etc. These methods would require a DC-DC that runs off your battery to power the MCU board, and also the relay if one is used. MCU probably costs less than $5 depending on I/O needed, DC-DC $10-20, speedo sensor/magnet $5, etc. Requires knowledge of coding or willingness to learn, though.

random examples
Amazon.com
1700541728866.png
1700541807619.png

Last edited:
If you’re using a speed throttle system (as opposed to torque), you could manipulate the throttle signal with switch and resistor (or potentiometer).

Having considered a similar plan to ride my ebike faster than the regulated 15.5mph, i came up with 3 options,

#1 using my dead screen (cracked n black but the bike still ran ) and a new headset switched via a multi pole 2 way switch with an under the saddle push button.

#2 using a similar switch as above to switch between a new controller with regulated limits set and a simple short between +5v Red wire and the blue wire connection in the controller headset socket

#3 slap a sticker on the bike and just short the red and blue controller connections and use a $2 cycle speedo
Plod cant lift the motor, twist the throttle or pedal and read the speed if im not using the controller speedo and ive got the sticker.. :)

i went with option #3 for about a week and well the extra 3-5 mph wasnt worth the hassle tbh.. I felt like a my front wheel had become a toddler and kitten magnet and i was one youtube away from infamy and bankruptcy

the multipole switch i considered..
s-l1600.jpg

I’ll be blunt - because I’m feeling cranky, not because you deserve it - I’m not enamoured with any of those options. They’re creative, but it’s a task better handled by software on a single device. You can do this on the KT open source firmware, for example, by toggling “off-road mode” with a few taps of the brake lever.

Or use a controller that can be configured to enable derestricted mode, but default boots into speed restricted mode, so that all you need to do when confronted by police is to shut down the controller. If they want to test it, show them where the power switch is and let them test it without you touching anything a.k.a be seen to be performing any trickery.

P.s. if you flatten a pedestrian and the mechanical autopsy of your bike uncovers a devious hidden speed switch, you’ll receive less than zero sympathy from the magistrate.

You’ll present better in court by essentially pleading incompetence, with a deliberately amateurish wiring loom that’s so convoluted that a double pole switch activating a headlight could be plausibly accidentally wired such thst the second pole makes the bike faster.

This bug that causes the bike to go too fast when the lights are on frustrates you constantly, but you’ve no idea about this stuff and haven’t been able to track down the random person who wired it up for you.

Be sure to avoid any labelling, but more importantly, include crude splices. The preferred method is to clamp the cable between molar teeth and yank on it. Done properly, half the copper strands outright shear, the surviving ones protrude at random lengths, and the insulation stretches out well beyond these. Repeat for the other side of the splice, then burn off the thin stretched insulation, loosely twist the two bundles of mangled strands between thumb and forefinger, and finish off with minimum ten wraps of electrical tape. If you gently tug on either side of the splice and it doesn’t separate, try again until it does.

I don't know whether this will satisfy the magistrate, but my latest kit, a 1000w, 48V DD system, had two wires on the controller and if connected would lock out fourth and fifth (out of five) "gears" for both throttle and PAS. Maybe check to see if there's something similar on yours.

I ride slower around cops. That’s the extent of deception that I’m comfortable with.
If I make a conscious decision to break the law, I’m also making a decision to live with the consequences. My backup plan doesn’t include lying; not good at it.

I’ll be blunt - because I’m feeling cranky, not because you deserve it - I’m not enamoured with any of those options. They’re creative, but it’s a task better handled by software on a single device. You can do this on the KT open source firmware, for example, by toggling “off-road mode” with a few taps of the brake lever.

Or use a controller that can be configured to enable derestricted mode, but default boots into speed restricted mode, so that all you need to do when confronted by police is to shut down the controller. If they want to test it, show them where the power switch is and let them test it without you touching anything a.k.a be seen to be performing any trickery.
Well im a little wounded that you don't recognise my genius, the sticker informing of abiding to EN15194 was specially printed in China and shipped directly to me. and its shiny and holographic-ish. Only has a couple of typo's and arrived fairly promptly (within 3 months) not everyone can get one ;) and i got 3!!

glennb's argument still applies.
Who's arguing?? Do you really think I hold any value in a knock off sticker with typo's?? and if so surely there is some millage there?? try reading my comment without a literal filter, consider nuance, irony and disregard my failure at attempted humor..

The closing allusion to bankruptcy should have indicated full realisation of liability assumption when undertaking what the OP requests (check OP 's location..)

EDIT.. My intention was to 1) identify OP's real Q, 2) employ the 'cautionary tale' along with self deprecating humour to point out the folly of his possible intent in a non confrontational manner.. - I failed badly..

Last edited:
If the OP lives in a 250w motor country then it makes no difference if they’re riding 5km/h or 50km/h, because with the 2000w motor the charge they’re fronting is riding an unregistered vehicle.

There’s nothing pedal assist about 2000w, it’s a moped and the expectation that it be registered as one is reasonable.

Overriding the 25km/h limit on genuine 250w PAS bikes seems like a minor breach by comparison, but unfortunately there’s no distinction, it becomes an unregistered vehicle no different to the 2000w moped.

It’s mostly moot for Europe and Australia (which copy and pasted the EU regs) in the context of these forums, because if you look closely at the regulations, ebikes require conformance from bike companies, meaning there’s no such thing as a legal aftermarket kit - every converted bike is an unregistered vehicle, regardless of adhering to 250w and 25km/h and PAS requirements.

Back