Ebike touring and camping

Don't rely on your brain have a cheat list 3-10 items on a card so you don't forget. I would put such things as phone chargers, adapter , wallet. Things that you can't leave behind. Weed.

Mclewis1 said:
I'd add to #3 - Also carry a 2 or 3 into one adapter so that in the event you find a suitable outlet that's currently in use you can still add the charger. Just be sure not to interrupt anything critical. Stuff like vending machines and such are usually fine to stop and start.
Good suggestion.

Another option for getting slightly more locations to charge is to use a supply that is good for 240 volts, and then use EV chargers via an EV charger adapter.

For Tesla chargers: https://www.evseadapters.com/products/tesla-to-nema-5-15-ev-charger-adapter-for-e-bike-scooter-one-wheel-etc/

For J1772 chargers: https://www.tucsonev.com/index.html

That way you get all the power you could want (at least 30 amps at 240 volts) and no worries about 'stealing' someone's power (because you either pay for it or they explicitly give it away for free.)

Plus I was just ride into the state campground look around see where the bike thing is and just set up I wouldn't check in. Play dumb. Big cuz somehow they have some sort of limit as to how many days you can stay at a spot or something.

by 999zip999 » Sep 09 2021 11:24am

Plus I was just ride into the state campground look around see where the bike thing is and just set up I would check in. Play dumb. Big cuz somehow they have some sort of limit as to how many days you can stay at a spot or something.

It used to be cheap and unlimited time. I remember when they started cracking down on state campground camping. Texas you can still get a yearly pass for all the Parks in the State.
Texas State Parks Pass

The Texas State Parks Pass is good for one year and includes:

Unlimited free entry to 89 state parks for you and your guests (pass holder must be present to get free entry)
Discounts on camping (restrictions apply), park store purchases and equipment rentals
Other special offers.
A Texas State Parks Pass costs $70 and is issued to one person (the card holder).

This is not an AD and I don't make any money. Just an example, other states may have the same offers. The park stores may have an outlet to used. Just a thought.

In Alberta there is a 14 day limit and some private camp grounds ban tents.
However campground sites are not cheap whether it be tent or rv power site plus fire wood used to be free now its expensive.
The good news is you can camp for free in OHV area's, on government land, find a bush to hide behind and pitch a tent which is called urban camping, or maybe go out 100 yards from a campground into a bush with no trails nearby and pitch a tent and hopefully the campgrounds not busy so you wont get found out but you can still use their toilet and sink for free and have a free sink shower or pay the $1-3 for a shower.

I wonder about putting a gas weed Wacker motor into the midframe since mine is clear. Im looking at a guys right now and I could mount the drive chain onto where the disc brake block is on my bike.

This picture is blurry because my dumb google pixel had a manufacturer defect with the camera :evil:

Attachments

• PXL_20210910_235035325.jpg
    PXL_20210910_235035325.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 895
Conversely I was thinking I could make the gas weed Wacker motor FRONT WHEEL DRIVE. I would have pedaling, electric motor, AND a gas engine all a once. That's going to be some serious torque right for climbing hills and stuff? I really don't want to have electronic components break on a 8000 foot pass ESPECIALLY HAULING 130LBS. Also just more power for hauling 120 lbs of cargo. Like 3 gallons of water, food for a week. Lots of blankets and stuff because the desert gets cold ASF.

Sounds like you're going to cram the thing up so much with various motor drives, batteries, fuel, etc. that you might as well skip that mess and just pedal.

There's a lot to be said for just pedaling. It's what I have done and would do, if I were going on a long tour. I love to ride with a motor when I'm going out to get something and I don't have all day, but touring is a different thing, and of course plagued with extra problems if you're trying to do it with a motor.

MarkJohnston said:
Conversely I was thinking I could make the gas weed Wacker motor FRONT WHEEL DRIVE. I would have pedaling, electric motor, AND a gas engine all a once...

You are gonna be missing the sail some day. :mrgreen:

ZeroEm said:
by 999zip999 » Sep 09 2021 11:24am

Plus I was just ride into the state campground look around see where the bike thing is and just set up I would check in. Play dumb. Big cuz somehow they have some sort of limit as to how many days you can stay at a spot or something.

It used to be cheap and unlimited time. I remember when they started cracking down on state campground camping. Texas you can still get a yearly pass for all the Parks in the State.
Texas State Parks Pass

The Texas State Parks Pass is good for one year and includes:

Unlimited free entry to 89 state parks for you and your guests (pass holder must be present to get free entry)
Discounts on camping (restrictions apply), park store purchases and equipment rentals
Other special offers.
A Texas State Parks Pass costs $70 and is issued to one person (the card holder).

This is not an AD and I don't make any money. Just an example, other states may have the same offers. The park stores may have an outlet to used. Just a thought.

I need powered camps

You also need a very big battery, the biggest battery you can afford, the biggest battery that can attach to your bike. Rear rack battery mounts aren't good, battery inside the triangle is best.

MarkJohnston said:
I need powered camps

john61ct said:
And again, you were claiming that the Chinese ones, non CAN controlled, do automatically stop-charge based on sensed voltage hitting the setpoint.

I am asking (everyone, not you specifically) if that is true

as opposed to acting like a normal PSU, that simply keeps outputting power until something outside turns it off.

I don't think Chinese chargers are very good.. I have a couple and they over charge my battery

by MarkJohnston » Sep 11 2021 6:31am

john61ct wrote: ↑Sep 08 2021 8:33pm
And again, you were claiming that the Chinese ones, non CAN controlled, do automatically stop-charge based on sensed voltage hitting the setpoint.

I am asking (everyone, not you specifically) if that is true

as opposed to acting like a normal PSU, that simply keeps outputting power until something outside turns it off.
I don't think Chinese chargers are very good.. I have a couple and they over charge my battery

by Chalo » Sep 06 2021 1:34pm

The chargers likely have a trim pot inside, and you could lower the voltage instead of worrying about it.

A cool idea to travel if you take the necessary precaution as already mentioned.

I will allow myself a few thoughts of my own.
Firstly, as I wrote earlier, you can charge two or more batteries with one charge. However, at the time of the start of charging, their voltage should be identical. It is also desirable that they be collected from the same cells. The same capacity does not matter.
Secondly, if there is enough charging power, you will have a variety of charging modes.
Thirdly, I don't know how things are with these in Mexico, but somehow there are gas stations and all kinds of cafes / restaurants everywhere.

Don't really need all of that. Just load up on batteries and a map. Figure out the next stop and how much power it would take to get there. May need to slow down so you can provide more peddle power on the flats and mostly us the motor to pull them hills.

One huge problem. This bike can only go up moderate hills. Anything super steep especially with a heavy 100 lb trailer isn't going to work. The motor is just cheapo $200. It. Just. Can't. Do. It

What kind of bed matting will you be taking with you?
I remember my friend and I went camping and he had some air cushioning mats that deflated and gosh that was a long night. For us heavyweights and camping, even the normal camping foam hardly holds up and these days the tree hugging camp ground operators with their gravel sites dont allow you on any fringe grass.

MarkJohnston said:
One huge problem. This bike can only go up moderate hills. Anything super steep especially with a heavy 100 lb trailer isn't going to work. The motor is just cheapo $200. It. Just. Can't. Do. It

markz said:
What kind of bed matting will you be taking with you?
I remember my friend and I went camping and he had some air cushioning mats that deflated and gosh that was a long night. For us heavyweights and camping, even the normal camping foam hardly holds up and these days the tree hugging camp ground operators with their gravel sites dont allow you on any fringe grass.

I'm not even sure if I can do it now. The motor can't handle anything steep.

But to answer your question I would take along a couple thermorests I suppose. You need three or four to really be comfortable.

If I was do this I would pull along a fairly heavy trailer. I can just load. It. Up.. batteries, water, food, tent, batteries, mats, blankets, tools, inner tubes, more inner tubes, water, you get the idea.

These "do it yourself" hub/mid drive motors are NOT DESIGNED for ebike touring with a heavy camping load. I don't know how much overland touring bike experience you have but even a regular bike/drive train will require service and parts replaced during a tour. There are bombproof drivetrains for loaded touring (i.e. Rohloff, Pinion drive) but from your question I am going to assume the bike you have is standard Sram or Shimano gear.

If you want to do some overland ebike touring and want reliability, get one of these ebikes. They are designed for what you have in mind:

https://www.rennstahl-bikes.de/de/produkte/e-bikes-mit-mittelmotor/853-e-reiserad-rohloff-e-14/

As for finding places to charge your battery, this is not a problem in Mexico. You don't have to stay in hotels. There are many "cheap" guest houses that have a bed, shower and power outlet for less than $20 USD per night. If you speak Spanish, you will find a multitude of options to get power and to camp. Everything depends on your route and travel experience. Remember, cycle/ebike touring means being "self sufficient".

If you are worried about hub motor reliability then just do the trip the old fashion way...by push bike. As mentioned earlier, crazyguyonabike has lots of info.

Now, I'm not saying a "do it yourself" hub/mid drive motor cannot be used on such a trip. What I am saying is if you don't have the correct tools/equipment for such a trip, the likelihood of mechanical/electrical problems increases. There is a reason the above bike costs over $8300 USD.

MarkJohnston said:
Hello

I am thinking about going on a long distance ebike tour. Either across the united states or down into mexico since winter is coming.

I am wondering if anybody has any experience doing this. What might break on a cheap Chinese hub motor and aluminum mtb frame? Does anybody know any good trails to ride on? I'm thinking it's better to stick to paved roads and light gravel for fear of snapping/breaking something.

The biggest thing is going.to be trying to keep costs down which would mean camping. But how does one charge an ebike at a campsite? Are there any options ? I have two batteries and could potentially pedal 105 miles a day with LIGHT ON THE THROTTLE. BUT I WOULD need to charge every night for 6 hours. I need an outlet. But hotels would be too pricey.

Please anybody with good advice especially with the charging situation I would be forever grateful.
Hi,
I have done it a few times. Last summer, 4 days alterning camping and hotel in southern France and Spain, with my Surly equipped with a GMAC motor, and 2 batteries totalizing 1500 Wh.
860 km in total, the longest day being 270 km (with intermediate full recharge).
Conclusion : that’s too much to enjoy the trip!
I advise to limit on average to 150 km/100 miles per day.
Charging in camping was not a problem.
Plan a good saddle too :wink: I missed my leather Brooks on this trip !

Attachments

• 118243417_10157732620211194_8032134112709723194_n.jpg
    118243417_10157732620211194_8032134112709723194_n.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 737
  • 118324774_10157734069206194_2962154005962570809_n.jpg
    118324774_10157734069206194_2962154005962570809_n.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 737
  • 118264187_10157732675866194_6886350686427587924_n.jpg
    118264187_10157732675866194_6886350686427587924_n.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 737
john61ct said:
forget solar unless days' charging for hours riding appeals
The Sun Trip this summer in Europe has seen some competitors totalizing up to 450 km on a single day, with solar recharge only.
But we are talking about 14 hours per day with very special bikes :wink:
https://www.thesuntrip.com/en/

Attachments

• 132-scaled.jpg
    132-scaled.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 734
Well, Mexico does sound great. But right now the border is still closed. Not sure if you can cross going south, but if you do, right now you aint coming back. I'm helping out a friend right now, who has been trapped in New Zealand for two years.

Don't know about Texas, but most of the NM state parks have electric sites, 14 bucks a night. 10 to just put up a tent, but you might easily get an RV person to let you use his plug to charge. They all use the 30 amps plug, leaving the 110 plug free. The year pass is cheap only if you are 62 or older. If you get that, then its 4 bucks a night for the powered campsite. RV sites with a plug are RESERVATION ONLY right now. Lots of places you can beg a charge in NM in the smaller towns. Many have hot plugs in the city parks. But after a 70 mile ride, the state park which includes a shower can be well worth it.

For touring, you NEED one satiator. So you can charge while it rains.

Keep loading up that bike, and you will cook your motor. But a large hub motor will do nicely.

I did most of my touring on this bike, which used a large crystalyte motor and 48v 40 amps controller. 2000w. Able to climb the rocky mountains with full camping load, which in the desert, includes about 20 pounds of water. Able to cruise at 15 mph on 200 to 250 watts on the flat roads.

You might want to listen mostly to those who have done tours. P2130006.JPG

Back