Ebikes.ca Cycle Lumenator is Here

Alan B said:
The Cycle Lumenator is rated for 15-100V so a pre-regulator can be used for higher voltage systems.

I tested mine at 12V and it seemed to work fine there as well. Best to stay within spec, though.

Yes, using 12V to power the Cycle Lumenator is actually the only way you can dim it right now (full dimming/multiple modes is at the top of our development list). We now have a page describing the Lumenator and have updated the other lights and DC-DC info http://ebikes.ca/lights/. As you can see from the Lumenator input current graph (http://ebikes.ca/lights/Lumen_IinGraph.gif) , at 12V it draws about 100mA so it is basically operating at 10% brightness and ramps up to 100% brightness on the way up to 15Vin. Anyone using the light at 12V who has never tried it at 15-100V should put on their sunglasses before plugging it in.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions on how to improve the Cycle Lumenator, we are looking forward to offering a multi-brightness mode version sometime in 2011 and are also looking into options for higher max input voltage as well. For the time being, those looking to use above 100V might want to try sourcing a suitably spec'd laptop power supply, with appropriate Vin range for your battery, Vout ~15-30V and rated for more than 10W.

@Mark.

sorry to drag up an old thread, but im about to be buying a lumenator (along with other ebike bits) from you guys.

will there be a possibility to return the mk1 lumenators for upgrade (or a trade in price) when you have the 2nd batch made ?

i personally would love to see a 2 mode lumenator. one for low and the other for high output, with a remote mounted switch
for selecting what setting you want.

or, as others have said, maybe a dual lumenator setup, with one dedicated to a low narrow beam, and the other for high flood ?
once again with a remote switch for changing between the two. with the dual set up, i would leave the low on all the time at night,
and just switch the high flood on and off as needed.

Jason.

Multi-Brightness Lumenator

I had not noticed the Multi-Brightness Lumenator till recently. It has a handlebar pushbutton to select between levels of output, and turn it on and off.

I looked around and didn't find out what the operating sequence is, does anyone know?

The good thing about the Lumenators is the ultra-wide voltage range they operate over, and they are small and fairly light considering the output level. The light pattern is even and fairly wide..

The not so good thing is they have no pattern shaping so a lot of light goes into the oncoming driver's eyes. More of a fog light pattern rather than a low beam pattern.

My mate and I ordered a couple of these, and I fitted mine the other night (multi-brightness version).
Awesome light, it has replaced my bikes stock 2w headlight and my bar-mounted XM-L. The two low beam settings are perfect for most lit urban environments, and the high beam lights up the dark paths and bush tracks extremely well.

I've got mine mounted on my front mudguard bracket -

Lumenator_zpsa626dee4.jpg

The switch only just reaches my bars, but it's not going to on my mates bike as his stem is taller so for now his switch is on the stem. An option for a longer lead between light / switch would be good.

A word of warning - Don't mistakenly undo the Philips head screw at the base of the light! The nut on the inside isn't fixed to anything, so once the screw comes out the nut rattles around inside. I told my non-technical mate to take the pivot mount off so we could try mounting his to the guard (with the switch on the stem) but he undid the wrong screw. It took me a couple of nights to work out how to open the light up and then had to use a dob of silastic to hold the nut in place while I carefully reassembled it (there goes the warranty). All back in one piece now, and mounted up! Personally, I think that if it is that easy to stuff up then the screw should be a Torx or something less easy to remove...

Can anyone compare the beam pattern of the Lumenator to other commercial lights?

For example, I have a Nite Rider Lumina 550. It does a good job, but I'm looking for something that will throw light further down the road. (And hopefully not blind the cars on the road.) On dark rainy nights, 550 doesn't seem like enough.

Here's an example of a beam pattern shot: http://reviews.mtbr.com/review-niterider-lumina-550

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Colin

The new lumenator has a different beam but I would almost go with some 18650 flashlights. I switched over and havent went back. Much cheaper too.

Outdoor, definitely. That would be super, than you.

Edit: I've spent a few minutes (ok, an hour, lol) looking at 18650 flashlights and others. Wow, there are many choices! Overwhelming.

Tonite I compared my Cycle Lumenator to the Fenix BT-20. The Cycle Lumenator puts out a wide, bright, even pattern, lighting up the pavement in close, both sides of the road, and up into the trees. It doesn't do anything for the beam at a distance where the BT-20 is focussed. So it is not as good at a distance.

Mine is the older Cycle Lumenator, I think it has the same pattern as a new one but don't know for certain.

Thanks Alan, that really helps. According to the beam shots, my Niterider 550 is sort of similar to the BT-20. So if the Lumenator you have is more of a flood I don't think it would work for what I want. (Which is 30km/hr on dark rainy nights.) I'm curious to find out if the newer version is different.
Colin

Back