Electric-assisted Wheelchair build ideas

G8trwood

1 mW
Working on a similar project for my brother. Temporarily removed footrest and casters (spare chair) with a dropped bracket to clamp on scooter sides And going up chair tube. Front traction is an issue and up hill is terrible. It was just an exercise on functionality. He is currently on vacation with it now. Might build him a universal bracket to clamp to a rental scooter. trying to put the footrest on scooter gave us an almost 15 degree rise over normal. Was able to get that down to 2.

We are both old…..

Overall thoughts. I don’t like trikes. Stability sucks especially for disabled. Working on permanent version with fat tires for nature(he lives in a very sandy area. Still playing with format. Will need longer front leg support and guard due to his leg not bending to 90. Definitely moved axle back.

have tried twin, narrower front wheels as well as using a spring shock on trailing rear wheel to guard against tip over and keep traction. Adding speed, stopping, etc can change attitude quickly So not turning over or doing a back flip is good. not built for speed, Might end up using something like grins barrow wheel in the trailing position.

Any advice from those who have down this path is welcome.

To prevent backflips, you can use "anti-tip" bars on the back that stick far enough out behind the chair to keep it from tipping backwards past a critical point. If you use large enough diameter wheels on them, they are useful even on rougher surfaces.

If the rider has the strength, then an adjustment arm can be added to them with latching positions and a pushbutton release, to force the anti-tip wheels down far enough to keep the entire chair "level" to the surface, and force the front wheels to stay on their surface with traction.

If the rider does not, then an automated or semi-automated system with an actuator (motor, etc) to do the job could be built and installed.

Thanks ,
I didn’t think about a deployable stabilizer. He has the arm strength to do that. Had thought of a telescoping front to allow for better mobility in tight quarters.

Had convo last night. He vetoed the Grin wheelbarrow wheel. Too slow and noisy. The new axle positioning makes it more difficult to use wheels as rollers. Will look at some of the other slow wound motors.

Now he wants levers….. so have to see if I can mock those up. Sadly I gave away all my spare parts years back because I thought I was done with this, lol, life marches on. Going to have to get stronger cheaters for my old welding helmet ;)

didn‘t realize his current chair could not navigate most of the streets and sidewalks near him due to old brick pavers and irregular sidewalks. Build will probably be more multipurpose than I was thinking at first.

Thanks for any tips

didn‘t realize his current chair could not navigate most of the streets and sidewalks near him due to old brick pavers and irregular sidewalks.
Larger diameter wheels help with that, even if using solid tires that don't absorb bumps or conform to surfaces like pneumatic ones, they'll roll over things better the bigger they are.

Should apologize for hijack…..sorry op

The standup scooter attached to the chair worked surprisingly well for his trip around DC. Navigated several areas that the chair alone wouldn’t. Would need to modify attachment to bring wheels in tighter for traction and turn radius. Maybe a quick clamp attachment that would clip to generic rental scooters.

The bad, tricycle design. He had two off camber tip overs trying to navigate grassy hills. Luckily no injuries. He is starting to agree on tadpole design for trails and parks. Current scooter is to fast on slow (11mph) imho. Although he likes It.

now looking for a hub motor for the tadpole wheel or wheels. Probably 12-15” total height. I asked one popular ebike supplier and they said to ask here ;)

thanks for any replies.

Depends on the wheel and mount design. The Grin All Axle motor can be mounted to "any" axle, given the right adapter, and they make several on the ebikes.ca site along with the motor. One of those might fit your existing mounts, or you might have to design your own and make it or have it made.

If you only need one-wheel drive it's easier by far to drive the rear wheel of a tadpole.

FWIW, the right length and width vs COG / height of a delta will be pretty stable at a low enough speed. Faster speeds in turns are usually what is problematic, or the equivalent forces during traversing maneuvers on sloped terrain.

(when I built my first delta, the Delta Tripper, it rapidly earned the nickname Delta Tipper, but when I decommisioned it and used the parts to build SB Cruiser, another delta, it was much better, and evolved over time to what it is now and it can be ridden without tippiness in most of the situations I find myself in. (there are times I wish I had deployable outriggers to the side of the front wheel for certain unplanned maneuvers forced by traffic conditions, but iv'e learned to handle it well enough that only once in it's about 8 years has it been a problem).

Would you like me to split your posts (and replies to them) off to your own "build" thread to work out all the details?

Please on the split off. I shouldn’t have hijacked the ops thread.

Your thoughts on the Delta config are welcome as some of my mock ups are certainly Tippers. Some of it is my brother drove a sports car most of his life and has a hard time being cautious, despite a bike crash being the cause of his woes.

Grin is who recommended I start a thread here. Their all axle would be my choice for main wheels, except for speed unless I locked him out of it :). Driving the 3rd wheel, whether delta or tadpole is easier, especially if the wheel is freewheeling enough for manual operations.

trying to keep the design compact enough to enter a store, but we have talked about two setups, one for parks and one for city.

Any thoughts on trikes are welcomed

Please on the split off. I shouldn’t have hijacked the ops thread.
No problem, I moved it over here. If you want a different title, you can edit the first post of the thread to change it. :)

Your thoughts on the Delta config are welcome as some of my mock ups are certainly Tippers. Some of it is my brother drove a sports car most of his life and has a hard time being cautious, despite a bike crash being the cause of his woes.
Some people take a lot to adjust to new conditions and abilities; I've known some people that would only become cautious in any way once they were busy interacting with the fungus and bugs and dirt, and not even then if they had a choice. ;)

You could design a mobility system that had sports car handling, but it would probably have to be a quad with equivalent suspension design to said car (albeit designed for the lighter weight of the mobility system instead).

I'm insufficiently conversant with suspension designs to say much about that sort of thing; my few attempts at suspension designs have been fairly complete failures, and my present ride (SB Cruiser) has no suspension at all, but handles fine this way in most situations I am in; I try to avoid those that would require it.

Would love to add suspension, but because it is a heavy-cargo carrier, it's unloaded and loaded weight ratio can be as much as 1:2, and most suspensions don't seem able to compensate for that without some form of serious adjustments, which in my case would probalby have to be manual...I don't really want to adjust things everytime I load it up. But any suspension that was rideable and helpful most of the time, when it's just me, would not be useful when loaded down....

Grin is who recommended I start a thread here. Their all axle would be my choice for main wheels, except for speed unless I locked him out of it :). Driving the 3rd wheel, whether delta or tadpole is easier, especially if the wheel is freewheeling enough for manual operations.
Speed is easy to limit.

You can do it with the Cycle Analyst for more control over how it works, or some controllers can implement it with a locked-out or hidden menu. A fairly simple external circuit can be built with some 555 timers and a transistor that could do it, or if coding is more your thing than hardware, Arduino Nano or PIC / etc can be used.

You can also pick a motor with a kV (RPM/volt) that just won't go any faster than a certain speed at a certain battery voltage in the size wheel you want to use.

Or use a non-hubmotor and then just pick gearing that gives the top speed desired given the wheel size and voltage and motor k/V. (doing this also increases torque by decreasing speed but keeping same power, and that might be helpful in adverse terrain/etc).

trying to keep the design compact enough to enter a store, but we have talked about two setups, one for parks and one for city.
It's fairly likely that anything "stable" at higher speeds is not going to be all that small; it depends on the specific job it's going to have to do to get to the store, at what speed, under what riding conditions (terrain, etc), and what specific dimensions you won't have control over (seat height, angle, position) because of rider requirements.

Any thoughts on trikes are welcomed

The lower you can keep the seated rider, the better for stability.

But lower is harder to get on and off of, which is why I picked just a bit above regular chair-height for SB Cruiser. (I actuall picked chair height, but the "perfect" seat solution (StadiumChair) for me that I accidentally came across added a bit of height, and I needed a bit more cargo space in the box under the seat, and it's a wooden lid, so it all comes out a couple inches or more higher than I would really like...but it is still easy to get on and off of (compared to my old CrazyBike2 that I had to get "down" into the seat of, or Delta Tripper that I had to kinda climb up onto).

You can compensate by putting the entire trike mass as low as possible. If it doesn't have to clear anything in particular, you can have it hug the ground.

Having larger diameter wheels makes a better ride, but if you have the trike riding above their axles, that makes it tall and easier to tip. So you can "hang" the trike from the axles like this, where I first experimented with the idea on my big MkIV trailer (which can carry an upright piano):
1690604114493.png 1690604142649.png
I did something similar but with camber to give a wider track and more stability without making the trike wider, on my brother's Raine Trike, which has a lot of compromises in design because of physical requirements he had for it I had to work around.
1690604441070.png 1690604619553.png

Thank you @amberwolf

Your thoughts and design processes reinforce my thoughts on seat height, stability etc. Chair height is what I am shooting for and using 26x4 rims as mockup as I have them. I think compromise is the name of the game in this as I am not sure I can give him everything he wants. Lever drive, easy removal wheels, fast, stable, compact :) The freewheel on trike tires is still throwing me. I need a CCW fuji freehub, lol. I can make the freewheel work with the ratchet mechanism in the lever sprocket, but I would prefer the chain not spinning under e-power.

going with tadpole for now. I have an old gear chain drive kayak cart I could salvage parts from for testing as I look for a more elegant drive wheel solution.

1. trail and softer sand abilities, 26x4 tires
2. lever (chain) drive for exercise and mobility
3. brakes
4. ability to add electric propulsion as physical limits are reached.
5. tadpole vs delta trike config
6. Easy ingress and egress from chair.
7) shooting for 2-3 degree camber

Thanks!

Back