EU Parliament Agrees EBike Safety Depends on Speed not Power

nieles said:
Cargo_Tom said:
*Drool* I would pay good cash for such functionality. Better yet would figue out how to DIY it.
arduino would be ideal for that 8)

Arduino is a good answer. Go do a sketch.

Personally, I quit considering "silly laws" a long time ago. To be "free" of BS, I go as fast as I feel safe in/on any conveyance and pay the fine. My average used to be @$300 per year, so I budgeted this amount. IIRC the last fine in 2003 was $180 for 147km in a 90km zone, so although I have not slowed down, my cost average has gone way down. I love the "war on drugs" and other silly shit which ties up the resources of the law. When they limit cops to a few hours paid court time per month and the judges are all overloaded, contesting a ticket gets it tossed 99% of the time. If you do get convicted, some people ask for the time instead of the fine. I'm told when you are retired, they sign you in and out at the same time, so they don't have to feed you and process you. JWID :mrgreen:

hjns said:
Hugues said:
I don't know if a switch with a key could be ok to limit the speed of the electric assistance to 25 kmh
That would be easy to check
Don't know

Hmm, I like it. Just hide the key somewhere if the cops catch you.... and play dumb when they ask what the switch is for :wink:

better yet, use a reed switch, and have a small powerfull magnet sewn into your glove. not wearing the special glove? 25km/h limit.

back ot, this seems like a good change. personally I'd be arguing for a larger top speed (given its easy to pedal over this speed), but hey, its a start. now if only this'd happen in AUS.... :(

Miles said:
The full significance can be appreciated through reading the details, here:
http://www.etra-eu.com/newsitem.asp?type=3&id=3602107

Good to read, also point 2.:

"E-bikes, that is bicycles with an auxiliary motor that can propel the vehicle even if the cyclist is not pedalling , would be excluded from the type-approval provided their speed is limited to 25 km/h and their weight to 25 kg."

Mine Is 30kgs. It should not be so difficult to bring it down to 25 I guess.

Hugues said:
Miles said:

"E-bikes, that is bicycles with an auxiliary motor that can propel the vehicle even if the cyclist is not pedalling , would be excluded from the type-approval provided their speed is limited to 25 km/h and their weight to 25 kg."

Unfair discrimination against large people is what the weight limits are all about.

Hugues said:
Miles said:

Mine Is 30kgs. It should not be so difficult to bring it down to 25 I guess.

seems pretty poor if you ask me. my bike is 20kg before any additions at all...

gogo said:
Unfair discrimination against large people is what the weight limits are all about.
Not really - though that's certainly an unavoidable consequence. Having unlimited power is certainly something to the advantage of large people.

Hugues said:
That's good news, makes sense.
Hopefully Switzerland will then align also .:)

It moves in the right direction, however, I'm not sure if this is good news: in a wider perspective, the entire 2-wheel legislation (CH and EG) is pretty much overregulated and this might add to/cement it. We discuss this issues here (unfortunately only in German) at SEM. We reacted to the recent public consultation for the plant changes to the CH regulations - here some excerpts:

According to SEMs' interpretation of the proposed changes they are aimed primarily on road safety which is considered controllable via limited top speeds and engine power. Bicycles are motorized too, using 'muscle motors'. We can't see fundamental differences in safety issues / accident prevention between a 50km/h (otherwise identical) 'muscle' bike, 'muscle-electric hybrid' bike or 'all-electric' bike. We also consider modern high-end bikes (e.g. downhill) technically far superior (regarding safety) to a cheap e-scooter. We would thus say that a modern e-bike easily qualifies for all 6 Swiss legal 2-wheeler classes at the same time: as a bicycle, moped with relief, light-moped, moped, scooter and even motorcycle. Such an e-bike not only looks like a bicycle, it is unpowered indistinguishable from a bicycle - but with engine support it could drive with ease and safety faster than the discussed 45km/h and beat an e-scooter. It needs only one finger tap on the controller unit in order to choose between these six vehicle classes. The same bike could so easily belong to several classes, however, such a "chameleon" bike is illegal. We are of the oppinion, assuming one has the necessary driving license and the bike is ready and tested for these uses, that there is no plausible reason to not allow it to run on country roads at 80km/h as well as in pedestrian/bicycle areas in inner cities at 25km/h.

Hence addressing safety concerns should be primarily a matter of the qualifications of the rider (via driving licence) and of the traffic rules and speed limits/signalisation. Thus it is not the vehicle which is limited in speed, but it is the driver or the road/street. We consider high acceleration capability of a bike to be a potential risk. Therefor we suggest (as tested for motorbikes since years) to require some technical regulations to limit acceleration for the bikes (e.g. limit the power density or acceleration limits, similar to the required breaking capabilities). For motorbikes the new suggested limits (for beginners) are 0.1-0.2kW/kg which still allows a theoretical accelaration at standstill equal to 1.5-2 times free fall or in 1s to 50-70km/h!

In addition to safety issues others must be considered as well eg. environmental impacts! Changes to the rules should primarily target (besides safety) the consumption of resources (material, energy, land). As a consequence one should therefor require few but very flexible vehicles and not very many vehicles of which only one would be in use at the time. The (future) vehicles could change speed, power, shape, color, sound, etc. in a second. Such "chameleon" vehicles could significantly reduce the consumption of resources.

We suggest to open an opportunity , i.e. a vehicle class, to develop new urban / sub-urban vehicles. The regulations would need to be as open as possible and with straight forward goals: low carbon emission, low mass, low losses, small footprint. The rules would be minimal and aligned to these principles:

• Optimization of the moving mass e.g. the ratio of vehicle weight / total weight should approach zero (this could be encouraged by market instruments such as road taxes/charges to be multiplied by this ratio, i.e. lower costs for lighter vehicles).
  • Optimization of energy requirement e.g. Wh/kgm, losses and C-intensity (possibly including production and recycling energy, thus life cycle GHG emissions?)
  • Optimization of the used public area e.g. using the sum of the required parking and running surface?

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/eu-s-electric-bike-rule-changes-slammed-by-bicycle-assocation-boss

Bicycle Association of Great Britain (BAGB)
http://www.ba-gb.com/

Phillip Darnton, executive director of BAGB, warns UK Gov't that proposed EU rule changes risk creating danger on the roads.

Phillip Darnton, executive director of the Bicycle Association, has written a hard-hitting letter to transport minister Norman Baker, warning of the dangers for the UK if EU rule changes on electric bikes are accepted into UK law.

Extracts from Darnton's letter are below:

"The proposed changes [concern] the Motor Cycles Framework Regulation COM (2010) 542 by the IMCO Commission of the European Parliament. We understand that these proposals are to be voted on by a plenary session of the EU Parliament in February 2012.

"The BAGB, on behalf of the UK cycle industry, is very concerned by the latest amended proposals, and ask you to use all appropriate means to ensure that they are rejected, and form no part of any consequent UK legislation.

"Following the DfT’s consultation on both EPAC’s and EPV’s in March 2010, there was agreement across the industry – as well as with cycling groups – that the guidance which, de facto, had been in force in the UK on the definition of an EPAC was almost entirely appropriate, and in keeping with general practice in EU countries. The three key determinants of an electrically-assisted pedal cycle were

i. maximum speed of 15mph/25kphii. power rating of 250 w. maximum (currently 200 w. In UK)iii. power cut-off when not pedalled (except for initial start-up i.e. no “twist-and-go” throttle capability

"The UK industry, along with Colibi/Coliped for European manufacturers and distributors, have sought to ensure that any revised regulations:

i. make a clear distinction between a bicycle and any form of scooter, moped or motor-cycle.

ii. ensure the safety of all road-users, with regard to the speed, acceleration and weight of EAPC’s

iii. give absolute clarity to retailers and consumers on what the legal status of the EAPC is; i.e. that it is not a ‘motor vehicle; requiring a licence, vehicle excise duty, a rider age limit, and mandatory helmet use.

iv. To muddle the clear distinction between pedal cycles and all other road vehicles is a significant potential risk to their current position, which requires none of the above.

"However, the last amended draft from the IMCO Commission of the EU has introduced two features of the definition which are of serious concern, namely: that the power-rating maximum of 250watt should be relaxed to include motors up to 1kw; and that the bicycle does not need to be pedalled for the motor to engage i.e. “twist and go” throttles are to be allowed.

"Not only would such a regulation blur the distinction between what is/is not a bicycle, but also presents considerable risks for road safety, especially in terms of continuous speed as well as acceleration. It is not stated whether there would be any minimum age limit on the riders of these 25 kph electric vehicles, or where their use would be proscribed, eg whether allowed in cycle lanes.

"China, in particular, is manufacturing cheap “twist and go” bikes in large quantities, and the impact of the adoption of this amended regulation by the EU Parliament would – assuming that it was followed by the DfT in due course – very quickly have an effect on Britain’s roads. Hence the significance of drawing it to your attention now.

"The proposed amendment to the Motor Cycle Framework Regulation COM 542 has been very actively promoted by the European motor cycling lobby group (ETRA); it would in our view, be irresponsible if this special pleading were to influence new regulation without challenge. If the current speed of pedal cyclists is already a concern for some road users, a move to larger, faster and heavier electric vehicles will only make the issue worse.

"Furthermore such changes would effectively constitute a ‘back-door’ route to deregulate entry-level motor cycles, making them available to a much younger group and removing essential safety standards."

from 2001,

http://www.bike-eu.com/news/colibi-regrets-withdrawal-of-bagb-670.html

The Comité de Liaison des Fabricants Europeéns de Bicyclettes, COLIBI regrets the withdrawal of the Bicycle Association of Great Britain (BAGB) from its membership board.

but still listed as a member here,
http://www.colibi.com/index.asp?file=/members.asp

Luddite bikers.

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/etra-writes-blistering-letter-in-response-to-ba-s-e-bike-letter-to-dft

Before Christmas BikeBiz.com revealed that the executive director of the Bicycle Association of Great Britain (BAGB) had written to Norman Baker, the UK transport minister, suggesting that a proposed EU rule change should be subject to a UK opt-out. Such a stance has elicited a stinging response from the Belbium-based general secretary of the Two Wheel Retailers' Association (ETRA).

Phillip Darnton said that a EU rule change, due to be finally decided upon early next year but likely to go in ETRA's favour, gave cause for "serious concern" and could "blur the distinction between what is/is not a bicycle." Further, Darnton said the EU rule change "presents considerable risks for road safety, especially in terms of continuous speed as well as acceleration. It is not stated whether there would be any minimum age limit on the riders of these 25 kph electric vehicles, or where their use would be proscribed, eg whether allowed in cycle lanes."

ETRA's members include companies such as Sram and Shimano and the Accell group (which makes electric bikes). The majority of members are involved with electric vehicles and include battery manufacturers; electric velomobile makers; Segway of the USA, the electric personal transporter; YikeBike, the New Zealand electric mini-farthing; and Going Electric, the Association for Electric Vehicles in Europe.

The Association of Cycle Traders, the UK bicycle retail organisation, used to be member of ETRA but let its membership lapse in 2005. One UK bike shop is a member of ETRA: Sidcup Cycles of Kent (the owner is a past president of ETRA).

Although it has just one member out of 2500 UK bicycle shops, ETRA claims to represent "some 5,000 independent bicycle, moped and motorcycle retailers" across Europe.

Annick Roetynck, Gent-based secretary general of ETRA, objected to the letter written to the UK Department for Transport by Phillip Darnton, executive director of BAGB. Roetynck took exception to ETRA being described as a "European motor cycling lobby group". In a blistering letter to the Bicycle Association, Roetynck expressed her obvious distaste at the UK organisation's position.

Her letter is published unedited below.

more........

How can people argue for a 15mph limit when I do 22mph on a road bike, and I'm not a real cycler...?

It is not being said that how much more effective a 5mph increase in ebike speeds would be for transportation. A simple 5mph increase would cut in half the speed advantage of an auto in suburban environments where traffic averages 25mph typically.

any healthy young guy can get on a road bike and go 20mph, and 30+ down hills.

agendas for ETRA - Two Wheel Retailers' Association (despite the name its mostly ebike companies)
http://www.etra-eu.com/page.asp?id=9303859

ETRA's members include companies such as Sram and Shimano and the Accell group (which makes electric bikes). The majority of members are involved with electric vehicles and include battery manufacturers; electric velomobile makers; Segway of the USA, the electric personal transporter; YikeBike, the New Zealand electric mini-farthing; and Going Electric, the Association for Electric Vehicles in Europe.

veloman said:
It is not being said that how much more effective a 5mph increase in ebike speeds would be for transportation.

the link to the ETRA's letter response posted 6 posts up, talked about this,

excerpt,

Do you, Mr Darnton and your fellow protestors, truly believe for one moment that ETRA would propose legislation that will jeopardise the safety of the customers of our members? Do you not know that there is a European law making it illegal to place products on the market which are not safe?

Consequently, if we were pleading for unsafe legislation, then our proposal in itself would be illegitimate.

Do you realise, Mr Darnton, how your proposal for not having any changes puts the safety of the customers of our members at risk? Without those changes, you will allow pedal assisted mountain bikes with assistance up to 45 km/h and a motor output of 4 kW to be excluded from the type-approval and to be placed on the market, being subject to virtually no rules whatsoever.

What is that going to do to the safety of the customers of our members? On the other hand, as a result of your and your fellow protestors’ position, a pedal assisted bike 25 km/h with 0.3 kW will be subject to technical requirements written for motorcycles. We are talking about for instance On Board Diagnostics, wheels that can rotate at different speed at any time for safe cornering and the type-approval of virtually all components, whilst those very same components can be used without type-approval on a 25 km/h – 0.25 kW or on a conventional bicycle. Would you like to explain that to our dealers, Mr Darnton?

And would you like to explain to them that this 25 km/h with 0.3 kW costs £ 3,000 instead of £ 1,500 because somebody has to pay for certification of vehicle and components by an accredited lab? We are working for regulations for electric bicycles, pedal assisted and open throttle, in both the 25 km/h and 45 km/h speed categories, that are made for electric bicycles, not for motorcycles. We are working for regulations that are relevant for the safety performance of the bikes, that are workable for the companies concerned, that are affordable and that do not obstruct the market.

We believe that the type-approval for motorcycles is not the appropriate regulatory framework for electric bicycles. Therefore, we want most of the 25 km/h vehicles out of that framework and into the framework of the Machinery and EMC Directive in combination with a European standard. Why are you so much against this idea? It works well for the pedal assisted bikes 25 km/h and 0.25 kW. Do you not share our faith in this regulatory framework?

And as for the 45 km/h, we do agree with a type-approval. Only, we do not agree with a motorcycle type-approval. We believe that electric bikes are important enough to have their own technical rules. We want to get rid of nonsense such as OBD or wheels that can rotate at different speeds at any time. Not you, Mr Darnton?

We work for the future of our members. Half of all car trips in the EU are less than 5 km. We believe that this offers an enormous potential to swap car trips by bike or electric bike trips. The current European regulations are standing in the way of those electric bikes. The European Union has decreed itself that no European law should stand in the way of market development.

We want our members to have electric bikes available that they can sell to postal services, pizza boys and girls, courier companies, real estate agents, emergency services, police forces, taxi companies, lawyers, politicians, commuters, … in other words to as many people as possible, no matter how much they weigh and what they want to transport and whether they live in the Peak District or in Lincolnshire.

here are some good articles by David Herron (visforvoltage ?)

http://www.examiner.com/green-transportation-in-national/eu-looking-to-relax-electric-bicycle-laws-says-naysayers-full-of-innacuracies

http://blog.greentransportation.info/2011/12/eu-possibly-will-relax-electric-bicycle.html

ETRA states they "are working for regulations for electric bicycles, pedal assisted and open throttle, in both the 25 km/h and 45 km/h speed categories, that are made for electric bicycles, not for motorcycles." Their response draws a distinction between electric bicycles giving power assist up to 25 km/hr (15 mi/hr), and others giving power assist up to 45 km/hr (28 mi/hr) speeds.

The former category (15 mi/hr) electric bicycles should remain with very few equipment regulations. For example they ask why a 25 km/hr electric bicycle with a 0.3kw motor should be required to pass motorcycle-style regulations, when an identical bike but with a slightly less powerful 0.25kw motor does not.

The 45 km/hr (28 mi/hr) category appears to be a new creation and will cover electric bicycles with higher power levels. The sort of power levels where stricter regulations make sense, but to use regulations which make sense for electric bicycles. ETRA believes electric bicycles are important enough for their own regulations category, and do not need gas motorcycle specific items like OBD (On Board Diagnostics).

I'm fine with a 45kph ebike class, as long as I can reasonably legally classify my ebike in it (pass any inspection) and even pay minimal fees. Is what I fear the most is total exclusion of the most effective, efficient speed of ~25mph on an ebike. This middle ground IS what solves the transportation problems we face in most areas. yes, I don't want a full blown motorcycle for many reasons and 15mph is not effective transportation over a few miles distance.

Currently, we are lucky enough for the most part in the us where most law enforcement acts logically and doesn't have issue with a responsible ebiker going 25mph where appropriate.

Crack down on the dangerous road users and let others go on their way.

And don't write laws about things you don't have complete first hand experience in.

I think ETRA does want the max speed to be raised to 25mph.
(Remember ETRA is a retailer's association, thus the higher the allowable speed limit and lesser the restriction, the more ebikes they can sell. $$$ )

I am guessing that ETRA realizes that trying to get the EU lawmakers to raise the max speed from 15mph to 25mph just ain't gonna happen.
that is why they are proposing this separate "28mph" class (probably with more safety requirements and/or licensing )

only 3mph higher than your proposed 25mph
(45kph is 28mph)

Regarding U.S.,
Yes, you can get away with riding 25mph...
but that's not the point,
Ebike retailers can't sell to the masses a 25mph ebike....

What we need is an E-Moped class,
max 30 mph
with no licensing or insurance
and no pedals required.

like this,

http://a2b.ultramotor.com/en/excel
30mph top speed
30miles range
excel_home_newest.jpg

Sounds good to me, I'll back it as long as these are allowed on bike facilities (obey speed limits like 15 or 20mph) and the registration requirements allow someone to use a custom mtn bike build like most of us have built here. I'll even add signals and a brake light. (think of doing this anyway)

Ref: http://www.electricbikemag.net/showStory.php?storynum=111

The British Electric Bicycle Association (BEBA), representing ten UK electric bike companies, just released this statement, adding their voice to the ongoing industry debate about the future regulation of electric bikes and related vehicles. Their release follows verbatim:

BEBA press release

BEBA has been monitoring the recent opinions of ETRA and various other bicycle groups regarding the proposed changes to the Motor Cycles Framework Regulation COM (2010) 542 by the IMCO Commission of the European Parliament with great interest.

BEBA represents the interests of members who predominantly specialise in the manufacture and distribution of electrically assisted bicycles. We believe we have a balanced and complete understanding of the regulations and rules governing the use of electric bicycles in both the UK and Europe. Because our members are predominantly electric bike specialists we probably have the best understanding of the needs and wants of the UK electric bicycle buying public.

It is our opinion that the changes proposed by ETRA are not only good for the industry but will also encourage an increasing number of people away from their cars and vans and onto electrically assisted pedal cycles and tricycles. Which is beneficial to the whole cycle industry. To try and create differences between what is acceptable in the UK and in Europe can only be harmful, driving up prices in the UK and perpetuating the confusion between what is acceptable in the UK and the rest of Europe.

It is important to understand that the proposed changes to the wattage of the motor will not affect acceleration or top speed. Through electronic regulation bikes will still have to be within the parameters of the existing European standard EN15194. Higher wattage motors may increase the weight of a bicycle but by no more than 1kg. Although the detail is not clear it seems that most manufacturers will have to reduce the weight of their bicycles to meet the new 25kg maximum weight limit if they want to retain a full throttle. Consequently any extra power will simply be used to enable electrically assisted bicycles to negotiate steeper inclines or carry heavier loads. This in turn will allow older people, those with health issues and some delivery services such as the post office to use electrically assisted bicycles instead of conventional vehicles associated with road congestion and pollution.

The issue of "twist and go" throttles in our opinion is reasonably straightforward. They are legally fitted to more than 80% of all electric bikes currently in use in the UK without any issues as far as we can ascertain. We understand from recent consultation with electric bike riders in the UK that the twist and go throttle is considered a huge benefit in terms of safety and usability.

In the experience of riders in the UK the throttle is an invaluable asset for the riders safety in the following real world conditions:

- Stability. When riding on sand, snow or ice, a throttle provides enhanced stability. A rider can stop pedalling and lower their centre of gravity whilst still slowly moving forward.

- Keeping clear of heavy traffic. Riders find they are able to ride much closer to the kerb when forced to do so by other traffic, the danger of catching a pedal on the kerb is reduced to becoming almost insignificant.

- Faster and safer starts. The use of a throttle will help get a bike moving quickly, reducing wobble during take off, particularly when at the front of a queue at traffic lights, on hills or crossing busy roads. Being able to simply twist a throttle to add boost is far safer than trying to stand up on the pedals to get the bike moving to a safe speed.

- Speed control. Riders can move slowly yet steadily on busy cycle paths and avoid situations where they are in too high a gear and can't easily maintain forward motion.

- Speed boost. Being able to accelerate at a moments notice is valuable for getting out of the way of motorists in dangerous situations.

We must stress that we do not approve of electric bikes exceeding the 15.5mph limit being used on the public highway or cycle paths.

Whilst most non-electric riders could live without a throttle there does not seem to be any good reason to remove its use from future electric bicycles.

From a recent study of electric bikes owners preferences we have discovered that of those who have the benefit of twist and go throttle in the UK;

7% never use the throttle.
24% use throttle on start up to help get going and for safety reasons.
28% use the throttle occasionally to rest legs/heart/lungs.
41% always use the throttle.

Electric bicycles are not normally associated with young and fit individuals who ride a pedal cycle for pleasure or a few miles to and from their place of work. They are predominantly purchased by those who would not normally consider a bicycle at all and others who appreciate assistance on a long commute and would prefer to arrive at their destination without needing a shower.

Electric bicycles remain a key growth area in the UK cycle market however manufacturers, distributors and cycling organisations must take note of the consumers needs.

BEBA are fully supportive of making cycling more available to everyone, including less abled riders, offering them the freedom that so many of us already take for granted. We strongly believe that the proposed changes to the current legislation will further open cycling to all.

David Miall
Chairman
British Electric Bicycle Association
http://www.beba-online.co.uk

Back