EU Parliament Agrees EBike Safety Depends on Speed not Power

In Austin, there is Bee Caves Rd which has a 60mph speed limit, yet with traffic hitting the red lights, many curves and hills, and driveways, it's ridiculous to go that fast. There is a shoulder, so you can bike with relative safety. Love blowing by the stacked up traffic.

It's funny watching people say we don't deserve to ride at a safe speed. (must go 20mph when traffic is going much faster). Asinine. :roll:

Miles said:
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/eu-votes-to-keep-distinction-between-bikes-e-bikes-motorbikes/013959

What does that mean for S-Pedelecs? Type Approval?

adrian_sm said:
What does that mean for S-Pedelecs? Type Approval?

some more info on S-Pedelecs,
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://elektro-bike.biz/pedelec/s-pedelec/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ds-pedelec%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3Dj0l%26tbo%3Dd%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&sa=X&ei=XcKtULy4FMS0iQKAkYCIAQ&ved=0CH0Q7gEwBw

Thanks

S-PEDELEC CONVERSION KIT

The known pedelec retrofits there are also S-pedelec. Of self-built or retrofitted S Pedelecs We are slightly off definitely. The effort and costs are simply too high.
Home-built or retrofitted S Pedelecs do not have an operating license. Thus, they may not be in the public traffic moving.
To obtain an operating permit, the screening and decrease of S-Pedelecs with an officially recognized technical test is (for example, a specialized MOT station) is necessary.
However, this is associated with a high time-consuming and expensive. Before you decide to take this step, so you should ask the TUV safety reasons. Mostly, however, the purchase of a complete S-Pedelecs will be much cheaper.

So s-pedelec kits on your own bike still needs unit approval, which is expensive and will make buying a complete bike cheaper. Damn shame. Would be good if you were able to get the kit approved, and then streamline the process for unit approval, and get it cost competitive.

After riding around my metro area all day on my 15mph WOT silent death machine, I have come to the conclusion that: I can ride on the sidewalk like a dork and feel I'm not too much of a hazard to pedestrians. But at 20+ mph, no way. I'm a jerk who needs to ride like a man, on the road, like all the other motorized vehicles.

To me, it's a distinction between who's rights are getting trodden over. I ride my bike on the sidewalk (pedaled or 15mph) and I'm a liability to the walkers. I ride my 20-40mph vehicle on the road and now I become rolled over by the big boys. There isn't an easy middle ground. Riding a bike (or 2 wheeler) has always been a dangerous affair, but served with a heaping pile of fun too! Yes, and I know I'm not supposed to ride on the sidewalk...sue me. :lol:

Miles said:
There should be a blanket speed limit of 20mph for all vehicles in built up areas. Then everyone can share the same space and travel at the same speed and pedestrians can cross at any point. Jaywalking :roll:

Sounds like an excellent idea if you want people to start riding bicycles again. :lol:

http://www.etra-eu.com/newsitem.asp?type=3&id=9632075

ETRA is really puzzled by the cheerful reactions of the other stakeholders. ECF, COLIBI and COLIPED have always claimed that ETRA’s proposals were all about getting faster and more powerful vehicles on the road. They consistently failed to understand that ETRA was working for regulations that are adapted to electric bicycles, adequate and effective regulations that ensure safe vehicles. They now cheer about the fact that pedal assisted bicycles remain at 25 km/h and 250W. Yet, they are blind for the fact that as a result of their lobby, Article 2.2(g) creates a dangerous no man’s land for vehicles with no speed and no power output limit. They cheer about 25 km/h and 250W but keep totally quiet about the ticking time bomb of non type-approved fast pedelecs. This is especially strange for COLIBI and COLIPED who call themselves official representatives of the European bicycle and EPAC industry. EPAC and fast pedelec manufacturers are virtually one and the same.

Back