• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

EV Mini Trailer

nerve said:
Any thoughts on turning one of these into an EV?
1195-lb-capacity-48-inch-x-96-inch-heavy-duty-foldable-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-wheels]

Sorry,.. you are going to have to elaborate on what you mean.
That is a 2 wheeled trailer chassis.!...... What sort of EV are you imagining ?

Can't imagine that working. But if you try, note the arch on the Riley bike. That's stiffening, as well as shock towers.

I trhink you can buy steel to build a much better frame as a starting point for less.

utrik4.jpg

Maybe as a lightweight-minimalist camp trailer. My uneducated opinion is that it would need a lot of reworking to be an independent vehicle. I'd want those rear wheels further back and eliminate the folding aspect/features/parts. Seems it would be a bit difficult to be made road legal as an independent vehicle too.

That utility vehicle conversion looks like fun but if I remember correctly they are pretty tippy. I don't see it as reasonable for two people either. Even the much larger Volkswagen van conversion try to incorporate too much in my opinion. I just can't see cooking much in the same tiny space you are going to sleep in (I live in an Elwood Blues apartment so kinda know what I'm talking about there). And washing dishes in a eight inch sink? I think just having them incorporate the things that you want to do inside and the rest could be done with more standard camping equipment. Screened enclosure/awning?

Oatnet had a better idea. Convert a VW van to electric. Those vans make a great minimal RV. I actually removed the sink and all that junk from mine. I just made a big bed out of the back, and set up the chuck wagon outside on a folding table. Used to camp all the time with 3 big dogs. Everything we needed fit under the front half of the bed platform. If it was pissing rain out there, then we could cook inside. Generally it was just make a sandwich in such times though. It's camping, not living in it long term.

To make a trailer into an RV, it would have to have front wheel drive. Then it would ride like shit, because trailers do not have shocks.

But any small trailer could be made into a decent lightweight camper, that would be towable behind smaller cars that have a manual transmission. Or medium size cars with auto. Make it 4" tall max, and possibly a pop up to full height for use.

Boat trailers and such make great candidates for that kind of thing. They are light and long.

I like the idea of a mini RV. Add front wheel drive and operable pedals so it qualifies as an electric bicycle. One horsepower (who's counting) of electric could be quite useful. A guy could rotate around to different friend's houses during warm weather and save an easy $3000 up to $5000 in housing costs per year.

That's what I meant, when I said you could make a towed RV from a cheap trailer, like a used boat trailer.

I think I paid $100 for mine, but the catch 22 was I had to take the boat too. Took awhile to saw the boat up small enough for the trash to take it. I never made it into a camper, but had a box on it for sails, and the surfboards went on top. Propping up the big lid on the box, it was clear you could make it into an instant tent.

Back