Even Newer 4 to 24-cell Battery Management System (BMS)

Kind of like this??? :))))

DSC03492.JPG

Features:

single button on. Cellog pin1 disconnect on power off. Auto power off (cellog and controller/lights) when LVC OR HVC. Charger relay pulls charger when HVC. Can only charge when powered up. 25 pin for balance charge (through 22g wires?) at low amperage. 20s expandable to 24s. One feature Im going to add is. when charger is plugged into charge port (bulk charger meanwell at 84v), the system will not fire up, via a reed switch which is activated when the charger plug is inserted. this will disallow the connect spark in the charge relay. eg the system will require you to unplug the bukllk charger first, then power up. The connect spark will always be at the charger plug, not the charge relay contacts.

Will be in a 84v kona stinky primo, in a week. Im just hoping that the batteries will stay in balance with a series discharged /charged string.

If anybody wants can explain more about the parts.
mike

Torture Testing Continues!

I really like the V4.1.5 channels! They do a fantastic job of controlling cell voltage even when left to 'heat soak' and when being fed by too much voltage.

Setup: 21 series 60Ah cells, Mastech CC/CV power supply set to 3.73V per cell (mild senior moment number 1), V4.1.5 BMS with channels set for 3.6V.

View attachment bms.jpg

I connected everything, set the Mastech for 5A, then went back inside to do a couple of quick chores. Got sidetracked a bit (mild senior moment number 2)...

When the urge to revisit the garage hit, I found the Mastech pushing 1.6A, all 21 shunt LEDs on, and could smell a 'hot paper' smell. After shutting the PS off, I grabbed the IR thermometer and found that the shunt resistors in the middle of the board were around 465°F and the shunts on the ends were about 290°F. The board was up against the thick styrene plastic body of my scooter - there's a groove in the plastic from the board - the temperature inside the body was 190°F.

View attachment 415_shunts_nocontroller.jpg

View attachment back.jpg

Behold - the results of "OPERATION Running Solder" :lol:

View attachment solder.jpg

The post-incident inspection found all the channels operating normally, all the resistors intact, and the only signs of stress the toasted circuit board and areas of running solder.

I really like these channels - a LOT!

I want one of those new V4.1.5 BMS !!!

Gary, fechter.. Where or should i say ..WHEN i'll be able to get one!!

I have a great 4 x 6s lipo to satisfy!.. i'm still bulk charging and.. bulk discharging!.. :shock:

Doc say: I want your safe solution! :mrgreen:

How can i get one of those PCB or kit? I dont want any seperate LVC or charger controller...

Doc

Doctorbass said:

I have a great 4 x 6s lipo to satisfy!.. i'm still bulk charging and.. bulk discharging!.. :shock:

How can i get one of those PCB or kit? I dont want any seperate LVC or charger controller...

Doc

Andy is helping us finish up the testing on these. We're using the new control scheme from the CellLog BMS, which is being modified slightly, as a result of some of Andy's tests. He has what I consider to be pretty much the worst case, from a balancing perspective. These are fairly tired 40Ah TS cells, with one really weak sister. This is a far cry from what I see with my LiPo setups, which is why we are making some mods. These will also be rolled back into the CellLog version as well. Anyway, we are going to hack these latest changes into one of the CellLog control sections, and have Andy try it with his shunt boards. The latter are functionally identical to the balancer sections used in the new CellLog BMS unit, which I'm in the middle of testing.

Once Andy gets a chance to verify the new control scheme operation with his setup, I'll do the final layout for the full BMS, and make them available. Maybe another week, or so.

In the meantime, I got the new 24-channel CellLog full BMS boards in on Tuesday afternoon, and have just about finished building up the first one. It's been a bit slow, mainly because I've been taking pictures as I go, to be used in the instructions.

-- Gary

GGoodrum said:
Doctorbass said:

Doc

Andy is helping us finish up the testing on these. We're using the new control scheme from the CellLog BMS, which is being modified slightly, as a result of some of Andy's tests. He has what I consider to be pretty much the worst case, from a balancing perspective. These are fairly tired 40Ah TS cells, with one really weak sister. This is a far cry from what I see with my LiPo setups, which is why we are making some mods. These will also be rolled back into the CellLog version as well. Anyway, we are going to hack these latest changes into one of the CellLog control sections, and have Andy try it with his shunt boards. The latter are functionally identical to the balancer sections used in the new CellLog BMS unit, which I'm in the middle of testing.

Once Andy gets a chance to verify the new control scheme operation with his setup, I'll do the final layout for the full BMS, and make them available. Maybe another week, or so.

In the meantime, I got the new 24-channel CellLog full BMS boards in on Tuesday afternoon, and have just about finished building up the first one. It's been a bit slow, mainly because I've been taking pictures as I go, to be used in the instructions.

-- Gary

Thanks you Gary!.. i'll buy one as soo as they are availlable. I want to preserve my garage away from fire!! I need a good BMS.. just like the one you are working on! :wink:

My setup.. like any oother setup i have are configured in two group of 12s that i connect in parallel 44.4V or in serie 88.8V

each group are made of 2 x 6s group of 15Ah.

My question is .. will you provide a 6s version of the channel groups?... The 8s to 6s adapter would not work for me i think

the problem is that i charge in parallel so i can not put 3 group of 8s.. i must have 4 group of 6s to get 2 individual group of 12s.

the other solution is to find a good 1500W 0-100V charger or psu compact as my meanwell RSP1500 and to keep all group always conected in serie...

but i like alot the size of my meanwell for the power it deliver!

Doc
Doc

GGoodrum said:
Yes there will be 3x8 and 4x6 versions. :)

-- Gary

Excellent! :mrgreen:

What are all the mod that the Celllog8 need on the BMS ( resistor to equalize current draw to each channel, power on and off etc) ?

Doc

Actually, there are two different BMS units we are testing, one that makes use of the CellLogs, and one that is standalone, and that does not use the CellLogs. Both will use the same basic shunt balancing circuits, and both will use the same charge control section. The difference is where the LVC/HVC signals are generated. The standalone unit will have the same sort of detection logic in with each shunt circuit that all of our previous BMS units have had, and will have an LED on each channel so that you can see when a shunt is operating. The CellLog-based BMS eliminates the LVC/HVC detection logic and the LEDs from the cell circuits, as the CellLog's adjustable LVC and HVC feature provide these functions, as well as individual voltage readouts for each channel to monitor what is going on.

By removing the LVC/HVC and LED logic from the cell circuits, it frees up a lot of room, which allows a full 24 channels of shunt circuits to fit inside one fairly small box. All of this "extra" logic is in the CellLogs, which mount on top of the box.

View attachment 24s CellLog BMS-01.jpg

In order to make use of the CellLogs, there are a couple of things that need to be added. First is an optocoupler for the CellLog "Alarm" outputs, which are not isolated. This allows multiple Alarm outputs to be combined into a single combined LVC/HVC signal "bus", just like we do with the standalone BMS design. Another function we add is a relay to cut the ground connection (pin 0...) so that the CellLogs can be turned off, when not in use. This is done automatically. The CellLogs are turned on whenever either the motor controller is on, or when a charger/supply is connected. There is now also an "override" switch that lets the CellLogs be turned on anytime, for a quick cell check, for instance. Finally, there are some diodes and a single resistor that basically make sure that the standby and operating current drain is completely even, across all cells, regardless of how many cells are used in each pack (i.e. - 5s, 6s, 7s or 8s...). Here's the schematic for the CellLog-related logic we've added:

View attachment 24s CellLog LVC-HVC-Relay Logic-v4.1.7a.png

For the new CellLog BMS, I put all this CellLog-related circuitry on the underside of the custom lid for the extruded aluminum Hammond box. The traces, etc., on the top side re hidden by the CellLogs themselves.

View attachment 24s CellLog BMS-03.jpg
View attachment 1

This initial version of the CellLog BMS has four 6s shunt/balancer sections, divided into two 12-channel boards. These are connected to the four 6s groups via four sets of seven 18-gauge wires. The CellLogs, however, have 8-channels each, so there is a 4x6-to-3x8 adapter built into the lid that remaps the four 6s connections into the three 8-channel CellLogs.

After we get this initial 24-channel version going, I plan on also doing a shorter, two-CellLog version that has two 8-channel shunt/balancer boards, in a shorter (4.7" vs. 6.3"...) version of the same box. This will be used with 12s and 16s setups.

The standalone BMS format will be similar to the existing v2.x-style boards, with the control section on the left, and the shunt/cell circuits on the right. These will be done in two versions, one with three 8-channel sections, and one with four 6-channel sections.

As I said, both BMS variants will share the same charge control logic. Basically, what the charge control circuit does now is simpler than some of the v4.x variants we've been trying for some time now. The basic function it performs is to monitor the charge current and to cutoff it off when it drops below an adjustable set point, which has an adjustment range of 0-2.5A. The charge control logic also monitors the HVC signal and temporarily cut the charge current when it trips. This is a lot different than the problematic PWM-based "throttling" logic that we used previously. The reason is there is a big difference in how we use the HVC signal now, due to a change in the whole shunt balancing scheme. Previously, what we did was fix the HVC voltage at a point the the shunt circuits were fully on, bypassing 1A+ of current. The HVC signal line was then used to modulate the PWM duty cycle to throttle back the charge current in order to keep the cell voltages from trying to go over the point that the shunts couldn't handle. Without this throttling, if the imbalances are large enough, the shunts will swamp/overload, and the cell voltage will keep rising. This sort of managed shunt control is the basis of virtually all existing shunt-based BMS designs I'm aware of, but has the disadvantage of having all the shunts cooking away at full bypass at the end of charge. The idea is that you set the charge voltage a bit above the sum of the HVC set point voltages, and let the throttling logic keep the voltages in check. While the low cells are catching up, the shunts on the high cells, that are full already, are in full bypass. Once the low cells catch up, their shunts will also be in full bypass so in the end, there is no more current going into the cells and all shunts are blasting away. On some of the less-capable BMS designs, the shunts may only be able to bypass 200-300mA of current, so the heat generated is manageable. With our 4.x designs, however, the shunts are capable of bypassing 1A+, which means there's quite a bit of heat to deal with at the end, so big fans are mandatory.

One other problem with this approach is that it is impossible to tell for sure when the last low cell is full. You can't just monitor the current drop, because it will not go below the max shunt bypass current level (i.e. -- 1A...). When the current first gets down to that level, all of the current will still be going into the cell. It will take some time, but eventually the shunt will be bypassing the full 1A, and no more is going into the cell. The problem is knowing when that happens. In our early 4.x designs, we waited for the current to get down to this level, and then we started a timer, to let the low cell(s) have enough time to get full, before shutting things down. This timer was adjustable from 30 seconds up to about 4 hours. Again, this worked, but I was never happy with this approach, especially having the shunts cook away needlessly.

The new shunt/balancing scheme, which we will use on both the CellLog and standalone BMS variants, on the surface looks like a subtle change. Basically, all we did was lower the charge voltage to be right at the point the shunts start to come on, instead of at a point above where they are in full operation. Now, if the cells are in perfect balance, the cells will all hit this set point at the same time. This will cause the charger/supply's CV mode to kick in, and the current will start to drop. In this scenario, the shunts don't come on at all. With the case where cells are imbalanced, what will happen is that the high cells will have their respective shunt circuits come on, but only enough to keep the voltage "clamped" at the charge/balance point. When all the cells catch up, the high cell shunts don't have to work as hard, and eventually as the cells all become balanced, the shunts will go off completely. Now, the current can be monitored and when it drops below a preset point, we know that all the cells are as full as they are going to get, so the charge process can be shut down.

We now also do something different with the HVC signal. It is still used to keep any one cell's voltage from going over a preset limit, but how that is done is different now. Before, the charge voltage was set higher than the desired balance point, so the shunts have to be held right at the point they start "swamping". With the charge voltage set lower, it takes quite a bit of imbalance before a shunt will be overloaded. For example, in one of Andy's recent tests, the shunts were set to come on at 3.60V, but the charge voltage was set much higher, at 3.73V. To make matters worse, this was a real "worst case" setup, using a "tired" TS 40Ah 21-cell pack that has one cell that takes a lot linger to get full than the rest. He let the charge process go for some time, with no throttling/control at all, and the shunt circuits themselves were still able to keep the 20 other high cells from going over 3.93V, or about 200mV above the charge point. The shunts got hotter than hell, with no fans, and he ended up melting some plastic on his scooter, but the cells were still protected.

Anyway, what we will do now is set the HVC point higher than the charge point, like maybe 50-100mV higher. For healthy packs, even with pretty significant imbalances, this higher HVC trip point won't ever be tripped. If it does occur, however, what will happen is that the charge current will be cutoff for about 15 seconds, but the shunts for the high cells will continue to operate, pulling these cells down closer to the low cell. The charge current will then come back on and the low cell will resume its catchup. For really screwy imbalances, or with packs that have "tired" cells, like Andy's, this process might repeat a few times, before the cells are close enough that the shunts can keep things in check on their own, but for the vast majority of setups, this "failsafe" mode won't ever be engaged.

All the above applies for both LiPo and LiFePO4 setups, and as I said, this "shunt-by-exception" scheme is now what we will use for both the CellLog and standalone BMS variants.

-- Gary

Gary,

About the heat issue. I've been using constant current sources with a negative temperature co-efficient on my TSLFP40's for 2 years now. The hotter it gets, the lower the current.

Amanda

Doctorbass said:
GGoodrum said:
Yes there will be 3x8 and 4x6 versions. :)

-- Gary

Excellent! :mrgreen:

What are all the mod that the Celllog8 need on the BMS ( resistor to equalize current draw to each channel, power on and off etc) ?

Doc
Acutally, you'd still need to run a jumper inside the CellLog if you really want it to be equal drain. The CellLog relay drive will be equalized, but the actual CellLog won't draw from cells 7 and 8 without the jumper. This could be about 10ma difference. It may not be worth the bother, but probably not a bad idea to add. The mod is shown here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=20142

I want to thanks you Gary and Fechter for taking time to explain every of these singles but importants details. That is much appreciated! :wink:

I understand that the new BMS desing will help dissipating less heat and is now more intelligent on the HVC section.

Doc

Hi Gary,
GGoodrum said:
Actually, there are two different BMS units we are testing, one that makes use of the CellLogs, and one that is standalone, and that does not use the CellLogs. Both will use the same basic shunt balancing circuits, and both will use the same charge control section. The difference is where the LVC/HVC signals are generated. The standalone unit will have the same sort of detection logic in with each shunt circuit that all of our previous BMS units have had, and will have an LED on each channel so that you can see when a shunt is operating. The CellLog-based BMS eliminates the LVC/HVC detection logic and the LEDs from the cell circuits, as the CellLog's adjustable LVC and HVC feature provide these functions, as well as individual voltage readouts for each channel to monitor what is going on.

By removing the LVC/HVC and LED logic from the cell circuits, it frees up a lot of room, which allows a full 24 channels of shunt circuits to fit inside one fairly small box. All of this "extra" logic is in the CellLogs, which mount on top of the box.

-- Gary
The CellLog version is more flexible (adjustable LVC/HVC) and gives more information (individual voltage readouts for each channel) what advantages do the non CellLog versions have (why would anyone get the non CellLog version)?

MitchJi said:
Hi Gary,

The CellLog version is more flexible (adjustable LVC/HVC) and gives more information (individual voltage readouts for each channel) what advantages do the non CellLog versions have (why would anyone get the non CellLog version)?

There are some applications where the user doesn't care to monitor anything, but just wants the protection. In those cases, the BMS may be buried inside somewhere. Richard has somebody who wants to pot the whole BMS in a metal case, so it is waterproof, and can then be buried inside a motorcycle. Andy has customers that have scooters with 21 TS cells, and so he eventually needs a similar "plug'n play" solution. I also have a friend who needs an SLA replacement battery for the genset on his boat. This will use eight PSI cells and will be inside a sealed case. This variant will have to have an active cutoff feature, and won't have any LEDs.

Anyway, so there are still some who will need/want the standalone version, in some form, so we will do it. For the rest of us, I agree, the CellLog-based unit is definitely a more flexible option. It can be permanently mounted on the bike, and function as a full BMS, or it can be used externally, as charge management system, or "CMS", in conjunction with separate LVC-only boards. This is how I do my own setups, and this also allows one "CMS" unit to be used with multiple setups.

-- Gary

I am having all sorts of problems with dodgy BMS's, I just need something that will let me have 40amp continuous with 60 amp peaks and be able to balance the 16 x 12ah Headway cells that I use. Whilst protecting the pack from cell under voltage.

Does your product offer this solution, if so how much and how do I order one.

i have not been on the board much lately so any progress much?

I am planning to assemble a 48v battery pack. What is the most recommended BMS system? Does a BMS usually include a LVC?

The Mighty Volt said:
Hi there.

How do I get my hands on some bare 8s and 24s boards.

I have been to the TP Packs website....no dice.

Thanks.

What version BMS are you looking for, Volt? I have a few V2.6c boards in stock. I can't help with any of the V4 variants as I don't have any complete devices yet.

Andy

Okay, sorry for the delay. First of all, I'm not interested in going back to do more v2.6c boards, sorry. That is a big step backwards, in my mind. Instead, I want to move forward with basically merging the charge controller from the new CellLog-based BMS, with the proven shunt circuits that have evolved from our v4.x efforts. Here's what the new boards look like:

View attachment 3x8s BMS-v4.2.2.png

Boards have been ordered, and Andy should have the first of these early next week.

This full BMS unit will work just like the CellLog-based variant, and they have exactly the same charge control logic. The only real differences is that the LVC/HVC "Alarm" signal is generated in the cell circuits, instead of coming from the CellLogs, and also the cell circuits have LEDs, to indicate which channel is active, where the CellLog BMS balancer circuits do not.

More later...

-- Gary

:D

That's reassuring. The product for which a group start was just started is apparently "backward" :D :D

J/K

Anyways.........is there a group buy for these new boards, and is there a BOM for the outstanding materials and some instructions for completing the job.?

If so....I'm in.

Ta.

GGoodrum said:
Okay, sorry for the delay. First of all, I'm not interested in going back to do more v2.6c boards, sorry. That is a big step backwards, in my mind. Instead, I want to move forward with basically merging the charge controller from the new CellLog-based BMS, with the proven shunt circuits that have evolved from our v4.x efforts. Here's what the new boards look like:

Boards have been ordered, and Andy should have the first of these early next week.

This full BMS unit will work just like the CellLog-based variant, and they have exactly the same charge control logic. The only real differences is that the LVC/HVC "Alarm" signal is generated in the cell circuits, instead of coming from the CellLogs, and also the cell circuits have LEDs, to indicate which channel is active, where the CellLog BMS balancer circuits do not.

More later...

-- Gary

Thanks Gary for the update. that's good news for us still waiting for a good BMS solution!

Are these board in 8s and also 6s group eventhou the celllog is 8s ?.. I mean as you already know i plan on using 24s with 4 celllogs for the great compatibility with 48V popular power supply S/P system.

doc

After thinking about it a bit more, and studying your JPG, I have to agree with you.
The fact that the boards will run run either stand alone or with the Celllogs make them a much better candidate.

I'll wait until you are ready to produce the PCBs.

Pierre

Back