First Build! Question about Controller Programming

JoeReal

10 mW
Hey Guys, I am starting my first electric Bike build!

The donor bike is a Kawasaki EX500 Ninja, I plan on turning into a Cafe Racer style after I get it running :)

I am planning out my components now:

Probably going with-
Motor
Montenergy me1003
Controller
Alltrax AXE7245
Batteries
Lead acid to start (Since I am an poor Engineering Student and not yet an Engineer)
Then most likely LiFeP04
(any suggestions for cost effective batteries would be greatly appreciated, Ive been, and will continue to, scour the Wikis and the forums)

Here is my main question that will dictate what controller I go with-
I would like to be able to change the controller's setting from the bike, without a laptop.
My plan is to, if at all possible, use an Arduino to change the settings between, lets say, 3 or 4 different preset setting, like-
Setting 1- Max Output @ 50, throttle up @ 5...
Setting 2- Max Output @ 75, throttle up @ 10...
Etc
Is this even possible?

Thanks for the help guys!
Joe

JoeReal said:
Hey Guys, I am starting my first electric Bike build!

The donor bike is a Kawasaki EX500 Ninja, I plan on turning into a Cafe Racer style after I get it running :)

I am planning out my components now:

Probably going with-
Motor
Montenergy me1003
Controller
Alltrax AXE7245
Batteries
Lead acid to start (Since I am an poor Engineering Student and not yet an Engineer)
Then most likely LiFeP04
(any suggestions for cost effective batteries would be greatly appreciated, Ive been, and will continue to, scour the Wikis and the forums)

Here is my main question that will dictate what controller I go with-
I would like to be able to change the controller's setting from the bike, without a laptop.
My plan is to, if at all possible, use an Arduino to change the settings between, lets say, 3 or 4 different preset setting, like-
Setting 1- Max Output @ 50, throttle up @ 5...
Setting 2- Max Output @ 75, throttle up @ 10...
Etc
Is this even possible?

Thanks for the help guys!
Joe

if you mean program the controller from the arduino then this may be a challange as you will need snoop the original pc programmer to know what does what in the controller and unless you are well up on doing this sort of thing then it will be very diffecult. but do some thing like a CA

Thanks for the reply, gwhy!

Yeah, I was kinda hoping to "record" the data being sent to the controller when the program is saved, then reproduce that with the arduino.

What do you mean "CA"

Thanks again,
joe

a cycle analyst (CA) .. this thread http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61004 has some of the building blocks need to make your own CA using arduino . You can have your controller set at a max and use the CA to change operating parameters of the controller on the fly.

The Alltrax has a 1/2 speed function.

Simply apply pack + to pin 4 through a Jekyll/Hyde switch to limit power to half of whatever you have the AXE programmed for :wink:

Back