Full Face Helmet

I use a snowboarding helmet, a Giro "Bad Lieutenant" as well, up here in the great north-wet.

And a pair of neoprene gloves.

I've wrestled with this question myself. A bicycle helmet is designed primarily to keep the rider's head cool, since pedaling hard while wearing any motorcycle helmet will cause heat exhaustion. But this severely limits how protective the bicycle helmet can be, not to mention the fact that even motorcycle half-helmets only protect against 35% of the damage you're likely to suffer in a crash.

The disadvantage of using a full-face while riding an e-bike is partly that people will stare and laugh and also that you look more like a proper road vehicle, which is a bad thing if your riding style does not reflect that -- going on sidewalks, bike lanes, and shoulders.

A reasonable compromise might be a full-face with the visor removed, or a motocross helmet (which have no visor). You'd still be very safe but will look slightly more appropriate. In any case, it really depends on your speed -- going 40+ mph with traffic should really involve a full-face, though going 25 mph on a bike lane is fine without it.

In terms of other gear, at 30+ mph, a motorcycle jacket should always be worn -- they are safe, some are very visible, and there are some that are very cool for when it's hot out. Gloves should definitely be worn as well, but pants and boots aren't needed at e-bike speeds IMO.

My Specialized Deviant 07' and goggles

Attachments

• Helmet1.JPG
    Helmet1.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 1,617
  • helmet2.JPG
    helmet2.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,620
oooooh thanks for the pics of the deviant, very nice.
ccgameprogrammer hits the nail on the head for me - a deviant will attract more attention to my bike than i would like but im thinking of taking it with me then when i reach the forest don the lid and hit the throttle!!!
i just cant get on with most types of bicycle helmet but that is the sensible approach to keeping low key - its a really tricky subject.we all agree they are necessary on 2kw+ but how can you play the bicycle card when you have a full face lid and you bike looks like mine? :(
im sooo reluctant to get a plastic birds nest though - any more alternatives? i liked the "Bad Lieutenant" it had some style at least.
anyone got any more ideas??

cheers

D

Here's one that I always wanted to get, but I have to get it overseas coz' they wouldn't sell it here. Not unless any of you knows where they sell it in the US.

Btw, here's the site.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/LargeImage.aspx?ModelID=10718&FileName=10718-1.jpg

Attachments

• CascoViperMx.jpg
    CascoViperMx.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,587
  • CascoViperMxblack.jpg
    CascoViperMxblack.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,588
shit i really like that !!!
best of both worlds if the chin guard is detachable??? going to look now !!
thanks for the posts SF1901 :) you may have just solved my dilemna - now how much? bet it's more in the uk.

Cheers

D

deecanio said:
shit i really like that !!!
best of both worlds if the chin guard is detachable??? going to look now !!
thanks for the posts SF1901 :) you may have just solved my dilemna - now how much? bet it's more in the uk.

Cheers

D

Yeah, the chin gaurd is detachable. I just ordered mine and they said it'll take 4-6 days to deliver. So I bought this sunglasses/goggles with optional straps and a face mask when I do my ride-by-honking my air horn... :D

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/LargeImage.aspx?ModelID=19844&FileName=19844.jpg
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11915

Peace!....

Hey guys. I have been researching types of helmets to use for my e-bike, but I am not sure what type of full face helmet to go with. It's my understanding that there are two types. What do you guys use? Cheapest, best?

Full face helmet. I don't want my jaw ripped off. Haha.

check out the BMX helmets. Way lighter than a real motorcycle helmet. Here is an example of one made by Bell

http://cgi.ebay.com/BELL-BMX-RACING-HELMET_W0QQitemZ230264493959QQihZ013QQcategoryZ58077QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I got my son one to wear when he rode his electric dirt bike, but now he prefers it over his regular bike helmet even when he is peddaling around on his bmx. ZMight save some dental bills if you ever did an endo

andys said:
check out the BMX helmets. Way lighter than a real motorcycle helmet. Here is an example of one made by Bell

http://cgi.ebay.com/BELL-BMX-RACING-HELMET_W0QQitemZ230264493959QQihZ013QQcategoryZ58077QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I got my son one to wear when he rode his electric dirt bike, but now he prefers it over his regular bike helmet even when he is peddaling around on his bmx. ZMight save some dental bills if you ever did an endo

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks man.

I don't care if bicycle helmets only came in hot pink. I'd still wear one. Cracking my skull open was never my idea of looking 'cool'. Nor is having my teeth smashed in.

Any recommendations for brands to check out?

that's a nice lid Y :)
i was looking at this, im undecided yet on what to get too - it will depend how fast my bike is :twisted:
This is a MET Parachute - detatchable chin guard and lightweight?

Cheers

D

Attachments

• WMB70.gt_helm.f_metpara_prev-400-90.jpg
    WMB70.gt_helm.f_metpara_prev-400-90.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 2,511
↑ That one's chin guard doesn't look as beefy as Y's, but it's got the edge when it comes to coolness factor, IMO. :wink:

My bike is a full road racer design so it's no problem for me to wear a full faced motorcycle helmet, full leathers, gloves and sometimes racing boots, sometimes just sneakers.

There's no way I want to hit the pavement with my face!

http://www.tactics.com/red/trace-audex-audio-snowboard-helmet is a, to me great helmet. The ear flaps help cut down the wind noise and the built in speakers allow me to listen to my MP3 player at speeds over 20MPH. It also has a built in volume control.

This morning, for example, I went for a leisurely ride of about twenty miles and explored the bike trails of a local state park while listening to an audio book. Despite the fact it was pushing 90 degrees the helmet wasn't warm. A big plus is that is doesn't look like one of the geeky helmets the lycra crowd wears when I pass them and pretend to pedal.
Mike

Something similar to the MET Parachute (Uvex Fireblade), but designed for downhill skiing. I was planning on getting one of these to use during the colder months - until I saw the price tag........ :shock:

uvex_x_wing_fireblade_07.jpg

If you guys pedal at all, you are going to cook.
We all pedal, don't we? Because it is an e-BIKE not an e-MOTORCYCLE.

Safe rides a motorcycle so he needs a motorcycle helmet.

I do like that MET Parachute though, that's cool...I mean HOT!

Any brand similar to the MET Parachute, or similar style? Made a search on amazon and ebay, got nothing. That's a wicked looking helmet. If it's not organ selling expensive then i wouldn't mind buying one.

Attachments

• frame_lr.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 3
Hi All,

the MET is about £80 in the UK, link is spot on when he sais not as beefy as Y's lid but i think its great because it's really light, moreover its very well vented (cool head in the sun) and when you remove the chinguard its just like a regular bicycle helmet.
I Plan to buy once i get my bike back so i'll let you now what it's like, i will ride up the road without the chinguard then go full face once im in the forest :twisted: .

Cheers

D

couple of others that may be of interest Yeti - i did like the Casco Viper but when i saw a picture of someone wearing it the chin guard seems a bit closed in - the guy looked like the gimp from pulp fiction!!! :lol:
it's the MET for me i think.

Cheers

D

Attachments

• Casco Viper.jpg
    Casco Viper.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 2,124
  • c-maniac.jpg
    c-maniac.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 2,124
I don't like those helmets. It almost looks the jaw piece isn't very structurally sound. I think I am going to stick with the Bellistic.
bellbellisticblackhw9.jpg

Back