• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Full Face Helmet

zap said:
amberwolf said:
If he was already dead when found, how did anyone know what caused the crash? On-bike cam?

I was pondering the exact same question!
Maybe the bird confessed!? :?
It was a trained attack parrot.

Has anyone every used(heard of) one of theses?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-ONE-INDUSTRIES-TROOPER-2-MULTIPLY-HELMET-WHITE-LG-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26ituQ3dUCIQ26otnQ3d5Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d2129123801398754955QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQitemZ140581670160

I liked the design alot, but since I never had a FF helmet I have no clue about its quality.

I know not all of us wear helmets. I wear a bike helmet most of the time - about 95% but probably should make it 100%. For those of you that do where bike helmets, what at speed would you have to be going where you'd switch to a full face helmet? I'm assuming this decision is might be based on a couple things:

1. Whether or not you wear even a bike helmet to begin with.
2. Whether it's convenient that you have a full face helmet available or if you'd have to go out and buy one especially for your ebike.

Please say a few words on your choice. This is all out of curiosity. Not looking for a full on debate. No need to talk each other into anything. Each to his own.

I ride in traffic, and because of the laws and enforcement that's usually at 2/3 to 1/2 or less the speed of the cars and other large vehicles...so if it wasn't so incredibly hot in the summer, I'd ride with my FF MC helmet all the time. So during the hottest months, I'm wearing a kind of half-helmet most often used for rollerblading.

I've never needed the capabilities of the FF as there's never been a crash on the road, but someday it will probably happen, when a car finally cuts me off in a way I can't predict or avoid with even the best of defensive driving, and when it does at least my head will be protected (even if it breaks off and rolls down the road by itself :lol:).

I've had one incident where I was essentially run off the road and rolled and skidded on gravel and into a utility pole, and even with my half-helmet at the time I still got a light concussion.

Another incident where I was so exhausted from work and stress that I think I may have dozed off riding thru a parking lot along my path, and rode into bushes (but some signs pointed to possibly being bumped by a car; since I dont' remember anything directly about it I can't be sure what happened. Except what I typed up in my posts about it, I have no info at all on it). The half-helmet helped, but some scratches on me would have been prevented by the FF, and probably my glasses wouldn't have been broken.

Both of those were at much lower speeds, probably 10MPH or less by the point of impact. At 20MPH and up I would most definitely want a FF (and probably leathers/etc).

Regarding availability, I did go out to buy one just for the purpose (though I actually bought it becuase of the Death Race :)), but I got it used from Goodwill for really cheap, after trying each one I found for a while to find one that fit well and was in good condition. I think it was $12, IIRC, for half-price sale from $25, but I might be misremembering that. Been a while.

Thanks for your contribution and sharing your experiences. You bring up another topic I'm also curious about - glasses. Whenever I wear a helmet, I wear glasses. I'll start another poll for kicks and see what the response are. And here it is:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34802

So far for this one, I'm fairly surprised that so many of us (all 4) are as conservative as I am as far as using a FF helmet for that speed of 30mph. Good to know you guys are being safe.

I usually travel at fast bike speeds 18-22mph with short bursts over that. If I were going to ride at 30 or more sustained I would be getting a better helmet right away. For now though my bike looks like a bike and I ride bike speeds so will stick with the bike helmet unless I run into a deal I can't pass up.

I don't wear a full face helmet when I'm eating (kinda hard to feed yourself). Otherwise it's always on. Think about it, you could slip in the shower or bathtub and hurt your head. An earthquake might happens during the night while you're sleeping. A lawn mower could throw a rock while you're talking a walk around the neighborhood. Your wife could be mad and hit you with a spoon... There are dangers lurking everywhere!

biohazardman said:
I usually travel at fast bike speeds 18-22mph with short bursts over that. If I were going to ride at 30 or more sustained I would be getting a better helmet right away. For now though my bike looks like a bike and I ride bike speeds so will stick with the bike helmet unless I run into a deal I can't pass up.

Sounds good. I think I'm in the same boat. Except it's not the cost that would hold me back since I already have one for a scooter. The experience is just different with a full face helmet on. I wear one on the motor scooter 100% of the time as required by law and my own concern for safety, but I agree that bicycle helmets are for bicycle speeds and unless I exceed that, I'll stick with the regular bicycle helmet. Well put.

If you are looking for a full face, the last awesome deal I saw was with Cycle Gear. I forget which model but my friend has it and it's the one with a built in visor! Yup and it's $100. Awesome price for what it is and it's got all the DOT equivalent certifications as you'd expect from the good (legal) stuff.

SamTexas said:
I don't wear a full face helmet when I'm eating (kinda hard to feed yourself). Otherwise it's always on. Think about it, you could slip in the shower or bathtub and hurt your head. An earthquake might happens during the night while you're sleeping. A lawn mower could throw a rock while you're talking a walk around the neighborhood. Your wife could be mad and hit you with a spoon... There are dangers lurking everywhere!

Hahha. I should've warn a full face helmet in elementary school when that stupid kid punched me in the face for taking his right field position during softball. That would've showed him! Bloody knuckes! hahha.

I seldom have worn a full face, just a 3/4. The few times I have crashed, my head has been tucked and turned so the impact was to the top or side of the helmet. Just lucky, because dental work is expensive. After my last head-on collision, I did some research and learned that 75% of crashes where the helmet hits a stationary object at 30mph or greater, are fatal. Thinking you don't need a helmet below 30mph does not compute.

kmxtornado said:
biohazardman said:

Sounds good. I think I'm in the same boat. Except it's not the cost that would hold me back since I already have one for a scooter. The experience is just different with a full face helmet on. I wear one on the motor scooter 100% of the time as required by law and my own concern for safety, but I agree that bicycle helmets are for bicycle speeds and unless I exceed that, I'll stick with the regular bicycle helmet. Well put.

If you are looking for a full face, the last awesome deal I saw was with Cycle Gear. I forget which model but my friend has it and it's the one with a built in visor! Yup and it's $100. Awesome price for what it is and it's got all the DOT equivalent certifications as you'd expect from the good (legal) stuff.

SamTexas said:

Hahha. I should've warn a full face helmet in elementary school when that stupid kid punched me in the face for taking his right field position during softball. That would've showed him! Bloody knuckes! hahha.

I bought one helmet off the net once sized it according to the measurements they gave. It fit great with the exception of the jaw area which was so tight I had to sell the thing. Used to be a medium was a medium now to get medium I often buy large. If you bought the same brand and size it was consistently the same so it fit, these days that is no longer true times have changed. Helmets and shoes are individuals and always try before you buy things for me.

If I had the choice I'd actually prefer no helmet, but I have had enough instances where even the basic bike helmet has saved me from what would probably have been serious injury that I don't think it safe for me to be without one. All of those instances were on regular bikes, not my semi-recumbent CrazyBike2, where it's much less likely I'd fall off of it in a way that would cause a head strike, but still, I'd much rather be safe than a drooling idiot in a hospital bed.

This way I can just be a drooling idiot. ;)

having ridden gas motorbikes for a few years id say 30 is a sensible point for full face, however given the choice i wouldnt wear a lid for journeys of a few miles. yes i see the foolishness of that statement but thats just my opinion. a full face lid is a hassle if you just want to ride 2 minutes to the shops and back, but less inconvenient if it saves your life. everyone will probably have different opinions on this depending on where & how long they ride.

Can't vote on your poll because you have no category for my use of FF helmets. Ridden m/c's for 35 years and ever since a FF helmet broke my collarbone the only time I'll maybe use one is when it's well below freezing or pouring rain. I normally wear a 1/2 helmet.

Of course, all my m/c's carry windshields and I just can't stand how much sound FF helmet limits. I rely on hearing traffic while riding slow-moderate speeds.

Certainly don't get the FF for a bicycle commuter but to each their own...

biohazardman said:
kmxtornado said:
biohazardman said:

SamTexas said:

I bought one helmet off the net once sized it according to the measurements they gave. It fit great with the exception of the jaw area which was so tight I had to sell the thing. Used to be a medium was a medium now to get medium I often buy large. If you bought the same brand and size it was consistently the same so it fit, these days that is no longer true times have changed. Helmets and shoes are individuals and always try before you buy things for me.

Be aware though that FF helmets can stretch up to a size once worn in. When I got my medium HJC helmet, I was way disappointed b/c I thought I was going to have to return it for an exchange with Cycle Gear. It was one of their models that wasn't available at their brick-n-mortar shops. After talking to some friends who convinced me that it stretches, I kept wearing it and after maybe 500miles, it started to settle in and feels perfect.

You obviously don't want it so tight that it hurts and you can't talk. Although when I first put mine on, my cheeks were pushed in and the thing gave me a headache. Seriously though - don't get the wrong size. A friend of mine whom I think should be wearing a large, got XL and I know it's going to be too big. He won't listen to me. For anyone looking at helmet fitment, check out some youtube videos from the companies themselves. If it can be pulled off from the back when not strapped, it's too big. If you can slide it side to side and it covers your eye or even gets close, it's too big.

Sometimes it might feel to small but in fact it's the shape. The good companies will have at least 3 different helmet head shapes.

Not to gross anyone out, but this is the result of a 21MPH crash on my ebike:
Img-20100903-1007.jpg
Blacked out for 5 minutes and had 16 stitches to sew my lip back on.

Notice there is absolutely no injuries above the right cheekbone, which a traditional helmet would not have provided any protection for anyway.

Thus, my vote is for 20MPH for a Full Face Helmet.

With all the talk of high powered high speed bikes floating around the forum, I had just assumed that most of you were riding 30mph or more and I was behind on my 20mph max e-bike. At least according to some of the polls, it seems to be true:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6492&hilit=speed&view=viewpoll
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1320&p=19817&hilit=speed#p19817

I haven't seen any of you ride other than random videos I've happen to come across (only one of which showed the rider wearing a helmet), but assume that most of us aren't wearing full face helmets. With the overwhelming numbers in the vote of 30mph as needing a full face helmet, is it fair to assume that the majority of us are in fact riding less than 30mph?

I suppose there's a big difference btw the ability to go faster than 30mph and actually riding that fast the majority of the time. I know if I could go 30mph, I would have a hard time being disciplined enough to not ride that speed most of the time.

Perhaps what I've learned from this thread is that 25mph is a pretty respectable e-bike speed. Faster than the 20mph max of most roadies, yet still slower than 35mph vehicular speed limits. 25mph also happens to be the speed limit for residential street driving. Hmmmm. Perhaps moving from 20mph to a 25mph max for my ebike would be a good thing and I should stop even considering anything higher.

With the present voltage and controlelr on CrazyBike2, I could probably go continuously just a hair faster than 30MPH if it were legal to do so, but there isn't any safe place around here for me to try it (since it would take too much distance to get there to try it in an abandoned parking lot).

So 23-24MPH is the fastest I ever go on the street, and even that is for a second or two to get out of someone's way when braking is a worse idea. Otherwise, it's typically 19.8MPH max because that's where my 9C starts making the annoying growling again (also at about 15MPH) (and just above that is the legal limit for AZ--if it werent' for the limit, I'd happly keep going the fastest that CB2 could go...but they do ticket here for it, even if not usually in my area, and so far never for an ebike that I know of, just gassers).

Interesting. I think that finalizes my decision then. I'll up my speed to the estimated 24-25mph with a 48v 10ah LiFePo4 battery when it comes time (and funds are available) to upgrade.

When your face starts to deform and it hurts to keep your eyes open you should consider a helmet...
Ariel-Atom-5-Gear.jpg

I think most bicycle helmets are just gestures rather than anything that increases safety.

I wear a full face at any speed. You can wreck your face real nicely at 5mph. I've also had many times trucks and things have thrown stones off the tires that impacted hard.

For me the problem doesn't really have anything to do with top cruising speed. It's the fact that you get used to that speed on that vehicle...and suddenly I find myself riding much faster in certain areas (even if it's under 15 mph.)

I good example is my wreck I posted a couple of weeks ago: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34291

I was going around 12 mph when I went down. And I did some pretty stupid things on a section I'd ridden over 100 times on a pedal bike: front braking in a turn, and too fast when under wet conditions. The first thing that hit was the front left side of my full face helmet: right where my face would've been if I was wearing a half helmet.

So here's an accident that was completely my fault, due to my poor decisions, lack of expereience, etc...but the outcome was negligable because of the full face helmet. So instead of a painfull experience, we all got a good laugh. Some of us have the diligence and concentration to be comfortable not wearing a helmet. I obviuosly don't.

I got used wearing the full face from riding downhill singletrack...so it's never been much of a decision. The only real downside for me is in the summer, when it's hot as balls here. But, for that reason I always buy white helmets...and look for maximum venting.

Back