Full Face Helmet

dimpirate said:
Thinking of buying a full face downhill helmet. Seems a lot of you are from the cold how is wearing them in 100 degrees summer weather? I'm from south Florida.
Any suggestions on good, light, highly ventilated helmets.

I can recommend the specialized deviant as a very good ventilated dh fullface helmetImageUploadedByTapatalk1363941457.699316.jpg

its available in a light carbon version too

When the weather warms up I'm probably going to get another lighter helmet that's open faced. My neck has adjusted to the helmet weight and hasn't been sore for the past couple days. It makes riding in the cold so much better I can not over emphasize this. I think for next winter I'm going to pick up a chin curtain, it gets drafty up there. Fog is no issue at all. Without the pin lock fogging was a problem. I had to keep cracking the shield open at stop lights.

I can see the helmet being a bit of a hassle when trying to go shopping or something. Haven't dealt with that yet. So far I've just been using it for commuting to work and that's no problem. I try to rely on my mirror a little more for seeing what's behind me and I don't have to turn my head so much to check blind spots. It's not too much of an issue and the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.

I waited too long to get the helmet. It's improved my riding experience substantially since it's often cold here.

Anyone ever tried one of these?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/free-shipping-Light-weight-E-BIKE-HELMET-YH-351/582726647.html?tracelog=back_to_detail_a

I'm sick of the wind tearing my eyes and ears at 30mph.... This one at least protect the eyes. It probably also need something for the ears?

Anyone tried?

That should work. I've used clear lab safety glasses for faster riding. My regular glasses have the auto adjust sunglass, but allow too much wind in. Any kind of wraparound sunglasses, which come in no tint for night would work fine.

Less ear wind is a benefit when you go to larger helmets that cover the ear holes. I actually hear cars coming better in winter, wearing the snowboard helmet with built in ear muffs.

See if you can find a google image of that helmet on someones head. It looks like your ears are exposed. Wind noise, 'nuff said.

edit: found one. your ears are exposed.
images

I used this winter a cheap (but legal) "jet" motorcycle helmet @30€.
It's very very comfortable, no wind, no noose like a fountain, protected against the cold (I was able to speak after one hour or more in the cold winter).

Snowboard Helmet + clear goggles = great Winter helmet - built in, removable ear warmers and the goggles do not let any air past into your eyes...

If I keep riding my street motorbike next year - not so sure I will, though, with all the accidents around here - I will definitely get on. For an ebike, not - it would draw too much attention to the bike.

All I need is that, and a multicopter with a streaming cam tethered to it flying 10 ft over my head so I can see traffic coming up in my path. Perfect for flying through blind intersections and seeing cops before I do. :p

I've been careful and lucky and have managed to avoid any serious crash so far until yesterday. I still have all my teeth but a face full of road rash isn't so fun-- any recommendations on full face helmets that still have good ventilation? My open face MTB lid did its job, so glad I was wearing it; took a chunk out of the front. I mostly MTB (no DH, just single track in the hills) and am looking at getting back into bike commuting with an EZ-1 recumbent I just bought (and will soon electrify).

Well, the Speed&Strength helmet donated by then-manager at my workplace to me after the fire has a removable chin piece, and flip up faceplate (and built-in flip-up sunshade), and the vents in it are closable if needed for cold or rainy weather, but it's not cheap (to me anyway). It's also still too hot for me to wear comfortably in summer even if I am not pedalling. :/ So it might nto be what you're after.

For the record, the LBS had a $150 Kali Protectives helmet that was reasonably well ventilated.

fitek said:
... have managed to avoid any serious crash so far until yesterday. ...
First of all, where's the selfie? Do it while the bandages are off so we can see the damage.

I wear a stupid-looking construction hat because I have a huge head, 26.5 inches or 67cm around. I suppose they make helmets in that size, but so far, I haven't been able to find one at a local store.

I'm considering making a helmet. I was planning on using copper tubing because it's easy to bend. A bike helmet doesn't need to be a sealed container; it can be fashioned with cushioned tubes alone.
To tell the truth, I've done more than plan this project. I've already made a few failed attempts at it. It's not as easy as you would think. I'll get back to the project later.

Back