Full Suspension Rear Rack Modded

docnjoj said:
I just want to say that you really did things the best way possible. You ordered from 2 of the premier suppliers in the world, and you will be rewarded, hopefully soon. I was most impressed with that Cellman battery, and cheep old me might order my next one from him. Really high quality work. On rare occasions even Grin has a problem. They do almost always set thing right. Hang in there.
otherDoc

Yes i understand how electronics can work and i dont blame grin at all for the controller, Being an electrician ive seen my fare share of products fail due to manufacturing defects and totally understand GRIN is not at fault at all.
I wanted good products so i did alot of reading and hence why i chose Grin and EM3EV and yes the Battery is a real treat to look at, just need to get it performing now, lol.

docnjoj said:
Have you tried the controller without the CA? If not that might be the first step. Then if it doesn't work you know it is faulty, Probably. There are a lot of Aussies on this board and someone near you may be able to help.
otherDoc

That was the 1st thing i had done was hook the throttle straight upto the controller and by pass the CA and i still had nothing, When it was hooked up to the CA my voltages were set up right and when i turned the throttle it went from 1.15V to 3.99volts as i rolled the throttle on so that made me think it was the controller and hence why i tried it without the CA straight away.

millzy555 said:
Good choice with the tektro's, have got them front and rear and they are by far better than any hydraulic DH setup ive used previously. Regen works a treat :D

Just a short ride up my local hill and back down again to test them and i was happy with the results, I had Avid Juicy 3.5 Hydro brakes on the rear and had no troubles with them but i wanted a cut off system for regen so this was the best option as i wasnt keen on putting more switches on the handlebars as its getting full and i dont even have my lights yet for it which will need room.

Ok i have a little news on my controller

Grin have taken a look at it and the conclusion is that There's some kind of short somewhere on the device that continuously is blowing the linear regulator circuit.

No way would i have been able to figure that out. The good news is that there is another Controller being sent tommorrow So hopefully by next weekend ill be up and riding.

Fingers Crossed

My replacement controller arrived today from Grin. It was sent on Thursday last week and has arrived in good health i hope.

I also picked up some spare JST Connectors just incase something goes wrong and i need to change anything.

1st thing i need to do is replace the Andersons for the Battery connections with some 4mm bullets but i think ill have to buy some more as i used all mine on my mates upgraded Nerf gun and dont think i have any left.

I so want to do this today and get riding but i have a Doctors appointment in an hour so it will have to wait for me to come home and give it a go.20140812_095827.jpg20140812_100111.jpg

well i got back from the doctors stripped a few cables and soldered my 4mm bullets to my controller, Lifted the rear wheel and all i can say is
IT WORKS

I recalibrated my Shunt setting to suit the new controller and rolled my throttle setting back .2 volts as the motor was crawling and has now stopped.

I notice i have a dead spot at the end of my throttle i will have to sort out with modding a few settings but all seems to be fine

With my wheel of the ground and full throttle i was seeing 78.6kph and around 180 watts being used, not sure if this is correct but ill be back later to sort things a little better.

I havent got a battery box yet so ive thrown the battery in my back pack ill ill see you all later, Im off to test this thing out :D

Well im back from my 1st test ride and managed to do 10km and use 3.99 battery amps. My battery was only sitting on 82 V when i left so about 6 volts under from being fully charged and it was great. I managed to get a top speed of 61.8kph in a short burst on flat ground with not much wind at all around so im very happy with that.

The bike feels so stable at all speeds except for take of when it wants to lift the front wheel so ill ramp my throttle a little lower to try and stop that from happening and see how things go then.

I still need to connect my Temp wires for thermal roll back but im just taking it easy for now till the bike holds up for a week or so to gain confidence in it before i do any serious riding but shopping just became a lot easier for me thanks to this great site.

Currently the battery is back on the charger for a full charge and ill take it back out tommorrow with a full charge and see how it goes.

I have set the LVC to 70 volts which works out to be 3.33volts per cell hpe this is not too low but my BMS LVC is 2.75 volts per cell which is a little low for my liking.

Im running 5P of the 20R cells and i hope its not too low for them, any advise on whats safe for these batteries would be appreciated.

Well ive been a bit busy of late to update this which i should so here is a little update.

I bashed up a quick battery box at my mates work and made it a little too much oversize so ill be making a new one in the next few weeks once i get my 24 inch wheel on the front but ive had to beef up the front shock a little more than i like because of the battery box as you will see why in the photo.

So far ive put nearly 1800km on it since my last post and it was out of action for 2 weeks as i waited for a new battery charger due to it not working a week after my mate dropped it.

The bike itself is holding up very well for the type of riding ive been doing, Ive managed to ride alot of dirt fire trails over the past 6 weeks and my mates love the fact i can tie a rope too the seat and tow them all up the 2.5km fire trail hill from out of the Valley, when i say all only 2 other bikes in tow but gee it saves some time going uphills.

The one thing that is bothering me is my Temp sensor, I have not seen any more than 36 degrees celcius even when towing my 2 mates up a 2.5km hill at a varying grade of 6 to 15%. When im just running along on flat bike paths the temp sits at around 32 to 35 degrees celcius at around 30kph.

I went for a purpose flogging of the bike on the road the other day flatout everywhere as much as i could constantly sitting over 60kph for 2 to 3 km stretches then slowing for the roundabout and then opening it back up full throttle again too the next roundabout. In a 15 minute ride i managed to do 12km total distance and my motor temp on the CAV3 was still only saying 36 degrees celcius and when i touched the motor it was hot but i could still keep my hand on it without fear of it burning me or getting too hot to touch.

Does anyone have any ideas if this is normal for a H40 motor only running 40 amps through the Controller. I would have expected the motor to atleast gotten to around the 70 to 80 degree celcius mark in that run i did.

Ch00paKabrA said:
I like the rear tray. I have been trying to figure out to do it and yours is elegant in its simplicity. I think I over complicated it in my mind. Will you take a closer picture of the area that you hose clamped to the upper rear pivot and post it here?

I know exactly how you feel, i over complicated it myself before i bought my rack and thought it would be much harder to do than it was. My main concern was, did i need a disk rack for clearance or a standard rack because i new i had to mod it for my bike and after going into my lbs i came to the conclusion a disk rack would be stronger for my intensions but on my bike with a rear disk it didnt make a difference wether i used a standard bike rack or a disk rack mount but other bikes will be different pending the brake set up on it.
The Clamps i used were Narva 27mm Cable clamps from an Automotive spare parts shop for like $1.30 each and all i had to do was re-shape them to a more of an oval shape which was very easy to do. If they were not going to fit around where i have them my next choice was the top stays on the bike above the Chain stays.20141020_161913.jpg20141020_161935.jpg20141020_161945.jpg20141020_162015.jpg

Nice werq on the bike. I like the rack mod you figured out should be good for quite a few others who have been wanting a decent one. Glad to see you managed to wade through all the problems, find parts that werq well together and finish the job. Reward is that you know how to fix it because you built it. Enjoy the ride and thanks for posting the build as many will benifit from it.

Back