GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

same vid, just bumping to top of page:
[youtube]VlQYmZoisYc[/youtube]
ambroseliao said:
Ouch. That looked painful! Hope you're OK!
very painful.

i think what happened: there wasn't a straight run up, so i came into it leaning a bit. at the last minute, i decided to go slow, but then gunned it, but that caused me to wheelie too much.
yards_wipe.jpg
midair i lost my balance and didn't have enough speed and room to recover on the landing. i probably wouldn't have gotten hurt at all, if it weren't for that bench. i landed hard on the edge of it on my forearm and thigh. it was a fairly sharp edge and i'm glad i hit it just with soft tissue rather than bone or joint.

during the game i suddenly noticed a golf ball sized bump popping out of my forearm! :shock:

it went down by the time i got home and is spreading out nicely. should have some good color in a couple days.
20120419_222255.jpg

the bruise on my thigh will be as big as a personal pizza.

in other news, the temp sensor has been handy. it's so cool to see it come on with the CA when i turn on the controller (cause it's powered by halls current). 8)

i had a nice ride home after the game, without a front light :shock: and noticed the temp was at 105C before the mile long hill. i went easy on the throttle and kept the power under 3kw continuous. perhaps because it was a cool 60F (16C), the motor only reached 112C.

interesting to note the temps elsewhere, however, via hole in motor, with one spot measuring almost 25C hotter.
[youtube]d2W1b6V3mNo[/youtube]
makes me wonder about when HK sensor reads 150 - which it hit regularly with MC wheel - that sucker got sooo much hotter than the 26" wheel.

Who cares about your arm, how is the bike? :lol: :wink: I saw those benches in the video and thought the same thing you did, sure enough, we were on the same wavelength...

I do like that camera angle, as a change of pace. Go nats! funny name for a team considering gnats are annoying little insects. :lol:

so the MC tire feels awesome and squishy but is TOO SLOW in a 9x7.

roll your eyes if we've been here before, but i really want to see how it will feel in the hs3540...

after breaking tools with the hookworm, i thought changing the tire was beyond my capabilities.

but when i search on motorcycle tire removal tools and saw it's just a bigger lever...
31zPVz25vuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

i found an old axle, tossed it in the vice, ground out two flat side, filed it down, burnt my fingers testing it, bent a little S on the end and hot damn... after prying the bead out, i stuck an bike lever in to hold it as i worked around the rim...
20120421_101217.jpg
now i can add removing motorcycle wheels to my life experience...

someone please convince that i shouldn't reuse the same spokes.... and that i should order new ones... these aren't old you know. of course i mangled one, but can probably straighten that out... i'm talking about unlacing the 9x7 and lacing in the hs3540...

Sacman said:
What is that front fork a Marzocchi "triple 8" Bomber?
2006 888 RC2X, in bad need of an oil change.

color is developing nicely on the leg.
bluntcleaverbruise.jpg

spoke salvaging mission.
dreamcatcher.jpg
i have another brand new Excel rim, that i bought before I got the prebuilt M/C wheel, so since that one is nice and true, i'm planning on lacing it. now i need to get the new hs3540...

grindz145 said:
Oil cooling FTW
i would load up the motor now if i could seal the existing vent holes, say with clear lexan expoxied to the inside 8) but it would rub the windings/wires... :(

so i've decided to keep vented hs3540 in existing 26", which is a nice fast street version.

and i just ordered a new hs3540 and spokes for the M/C wheel build.

then i can just swap wheels from week to week depending on my mood... :mrgreen:

Lenk42602 said:
you're in marlboro country now greg..... :D
smoke 'em if you got 'em. :lol:

just helping out a local gangster who brought his 5404, fresh from the group buy. he's waiting for his dh comp to arrive by mail and sounded interested in the sandy hook race.

in other news, and off topic... right after i got my first gopro two years ago, i made a hiking vid. i made another last week, and combined the footage from both:
[youtube]9Yszjx-VJoE[/youtube]

Nice family vid, though you nearly upskirted your wife a few times :lol:
Your youngest is well behaved, my little bloke runs straight in the water (then sits down) at every opportunity. There's no such thing as standing on the edge and looking for him!
Your snakes must be more passive than ours, you'd be posting that vid from the hospital if you did that here :lol:

Nice purchase on the HS35 - now with temp sensors too I see - sweet! I would have ordered the 5400s with those if I knew a simple monitoring solution was just around the corner
Now you have to but a V3 CA to go with it :wink:

ouch. congratulations... enjoy that. :lol:

the hs3540 should arrive next wednesday. should have paid for air delivery!

meanwhile, i cut out 8 working cells on my first ebike battery, a 16s ping, for use on the nanny bike:
[youtube]_2srRbrMel8[/youtube]

at the end, you many notice me testing a puffy lipo cell and then opening the garage door... :twisted: i really need to take a load to recycling, but curiosity got the best of me. it was too dark for the camera in the middle of the alley. after jabbing it for a while and barely a puff, i finally wanted it dead, so i aimed the propane torch at it and finally got it to burn, and very gently at that. here's the remains:
20120426_071627.jpg
it had < 1V, fwiw.

earlier yesterday, i'd heard about an MTB trail at fort dupont in SE DC. most trails in DC are strictly no bikes allowed, so i thought i'd check it out.

15miles total. had to go slow to conserve juice. enjoyable trail ride, especially using low gears, but nothing technical and it all looked the same!

some highlights in here, but the am commute may be more interesting... :twisted:
[youtube]xUXliaIQxRU[/youtube]

Awesome! I love the non-chalant gum opening white cruising. You must have some serious trail on that bike to get that much stability. I gotta build a faster bike...

GCinDC said:
nevermind the balance.
or the stop sign :p
I see you're back to living on the edge - or have you been defying the odds all this time and just not posting it ? :p
How tempted were you to tear up that golf course ? :lol:
I stumbled into a huge quarry/building site type thing the other day and thought of you. I was sooo tempted to go for a quick squirt around the pit and lauch off one of the big dirt piles but figured the workers would shit bricks and with a scratched gopro lens it wouldn't have made the best of footage :p

GCinDC said:
grindz145 said:
Awesome! I love the non-chalant gum opening white cruising.
nevermind the balance. try getting a piece of gum with gloves! :lol:

I figured you just ate the wax paper.

Hyena said:
I see you're back to living on the edge - or have you been defying the odds all this time and just not posting it ? :p
yeah, i was a bit discouraged awhile back and stopped posting as much. guess i'm over that and back to my tricks, but they're mostly calculated risks - i'm rarely going for it 100%, execpt for a tight pass here and there. i'm really struggling to come up with a good youtube name to separate the nasty vids. 'badebiker' has been taken... :lol:
Hyena said:
How tempted were you to tear up that golf course ? :lol:
so tempted it hurt! :cry: there was some gorgeous terrain, and i wouldn't disrespect it either... but sometimes in wet grass with hookworms i feel like a eunuch in a harem.. :lol:

Its nice when you have kids to get out in to the solace of the garage and do some ebike work 8) I really enjoyed swapping out an old wheel bearing on my X5 the other night ha ha, I have to go out to fix the clutch on the BMC sat morning, my little boy will most likely join me, its the cutest thing when he sees my bike upside down he turns his little bike over too!

Great to see you back to your old tricks mate :D

[youtube]_SJHmlk5WgU[/youtube]
ps. the ped had headphones on and was crossing obliviously. i was at the front of a bunch of a traffic and yelled loudly but can't hear it on the vid, otherwise she'd have never looked up..

Back