GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

sorry, for any confusion. i leave my bulk charger at work now.

at home, i only charge with the bc168... when i first plug in the db25, i check - i look at - the bc168 display of cell voltages...

when i first started charging the 4s pack, i first unplugged db25 and then plugged in the 4s pack to see only its voltages.

but now i know they are mostly the same and just add the 4s connector when the db25->5s connector is already in... so i charge BOTH the 20s pack (5s8p paralleled via db25) AND the 4s2p pack at the same time.

as i said, cell 1 on the 20s pack is now weak, so as soon as i plug in 4s pack, it brings up the voltage of cell one as it tries to balance them..

here is a photo with a lipo buzzer attached to the db25 (NOT paralleled)... i need to get more voltage alarms, so for now i can use only one and attach it to any of the four connectors coming off the db25 OR the 4s balance connector above it..
20130226_073955.jpg

it should be pretty clear how i've got the 4s booster pack wired in series with the main pack, all connected to the controller.

the precharge resistor is attached to a splint to protect it, on the controller side of the dual bullet connector...

GCinDC said:
sorry, for any confusion. i leave my bulk charger at work now.

at home, i only charge with the bc168... when i first plug in the db25, i check - i look at - the bc168 display of cell voltages...

when i first started charging the 4s pack, i first unplugged db25 and then plugged in the 4s pack to see only its voltages.

but now i know they are mostly the same and just add the 4s connector when the db25->5s connector is already in... so i charge BOTH the 20s pack (5s8p paralleled via db25) AND the 4s2p pack at the same time.

as i said, cell 1 on the 20s pack is now weak, so as soon as i plug in 4s pack, it brings up the voltage of cell one as it tries to balance them..

that's me who's confused (I knew that you left the bulk charger @ the office) because you don't mention that you unplug the series links before you parallel charge your 20S (5S8p) via DB25...

andreym said:
Why do you fake-pedal all the way up to 50mph?

So he gets a little exercise :D

andreym said:
Why do you fake-pedal all the way up to 50mph?
um, cause it relieves a little stress on the freewheel? :lol:

also, i like to imagine it gives the dinosaurs the impression that my legs are bionic. and i guess that makes me feel less guilty for cheating! :mrgreen:

i also go so fast through intersections, i never know when you know who may be watching... :shock: i think if they see it's being pedaled, they automatically don't care about it. do they have too much pride to stop a cyclist? :?: i hope so.

pendragon8000 said:
Awesome. Love the gutter jumping so its all going well now? I've been looking at 36s eventually 150v 8ah . You got any plans down the track to go higher GC?
thanks! you've got a point, why not raise the voltage significantly! it's an idea... but that would mean a much bigger motor tho. that kind of power would melt my hs3540 in no time. btw, if you're seriously thinking going 150v, i think you should also double the Amp hours! having too little capacity is a great way to destroy batt packs. even if you use only half, and you'd use that in what, 5 minutes? :lol:

pendragon8000 said:
Awesome. Love the gutter jumping so its all going well now? I've been looking at 36s eventually 150v 8ah . You got any plans down the track to go higher GC?
thanks! you've got a point, why not raise the voltage significantly! it's an idea... but that would mean a much bigger motor tho. that kind of power would melt my hs3540 in no time. btw, if you're seriously thinking going 150v, i think you should also double the Amp hours! having too little capacity is a great way to destroy batt packs. even if you use only half, and you'd use that in what, 5 minutes? :lol:[/quote]
lol
yeah, i was thinking using a ca v3 to limit power consumption, and also the nano tecs have a higher c rating. but yeah as hyena said with the 4115 fets we should use closer to 150v

Wish I had a commute like yours :cry:
Mine is 2.5 miles of red light plane old intersections. Straight lines. No two lane roads, just barely one lane roads. I try sprucing things up but I feel I just can't. One time I tried "sprucing things" up I think I was asking for a death sentence. Left turns at busy intersections suck, long story short. :lol: .
When I went camping at Annapolis all the roads flowed. Im guessing that is the same throughout all of the area?

dbaker said:
When you get the Thud bike you will go up those steps :mrgreen:
i had the same thought! i do keep wondering if that bike won't be better w/ MC wheels.. but he thinks 26x3" dirt will be good... so i'm not sure how much i'll commute with it. seems more like it'll be weekend plaything. unless i can find a way to commute over everyone's lawns. :twisted:

pendragon8000 said:
nice, weather looks a bit warmer for you.. ?
thanks. no, it's snowing today and schools and gov't closed, which is absurd, since there's hardly and snow on street. i have to work no matter what, with the possible exception of the inevitable nuclear explosion downtown... :roll:

Trackman417 said:
Wish I had a commute like yours
i feel for you, man. i guess i'm lucky. could be better, but it could be much worse!

and fwiw, i forgot some dramatic prep scenes and have added them here. you wouldn't want to miss my ripped up gloves and sloppy lock mount. :p
[youtube]ItXSUDxexZ8[/youtube]
after that, it's the same vid..

Nice video. Man watching you put on your gloves was all the action I needed.
Speaking of action. How's the weather down ther? :mrgreen:
Your kids must be getting so psyched to play in the snow and such.
Can't wait till the storm heads up here.
Are you still using the 18 fet? I saw a controller on your vid but it looked too small to be a 18 fet.

pucksterpete said:
What type of gum do you chew? :lol:
the answer is in these threads. lol.

Trackman417 said:
Man watching you put on your gloves was all the action I needed.
i know of some other sites on the internet you might like more. :lol:

speedmd said:
At least in most parts it will catch up to you.
isn't that what we're all waiting and watching for? :twisted:

speedmd said:
Are you still using the 18 fet?
yes. it's got my custom sewn sock on the end so might look smaller...

GCinDC said:
i also go so fast through intersections, i never know when you know who may be watching... :shock: i think if they see it's being pedaled, they automatically don't care about it. do they have too much pride to stop a cyclist? :?: i hope so.

I just wondered why,... and you cheat the lights :D but the reason is the same and as for all of us we don't want to wait in ques(In LINE).

for the record, i certainly don't promote or condone such reckless driving, and take full responsibility for any consequences....

but correct me if i'm wrong dc folks, but i would hazard a guess that at least 50% percent of cyclists AND pedestrians in DC will go through a light/stop sign as soon when there's NO cross traffic. Perhaps not the 8 lane constitution ave, but certainly most smaller streets... especially faster cyclists who typically have more momentum to lose than, say, a woman on an upright comfort bike who averages 10mph...

there's a funny sign on hains point that blatantly says STOP, BICYCLISTS MUST STOP AT STOP SIGNS, and you can just sit and watch all the lycras blow through it (and then ride in the middle of the road in front of who cares how many cars trying frantically to pass...)

For the record, I blow through lights all the time when I work commute into Baltimore city. Only because I know the route pretty much by heart. There is a given flow intersections have and it's pretty straightforward predictable 98% of the time. Weaving in and out through the autos is a skill I try to avoid simply because it's my nature to be on the overly cautious side.

charged to 96v as usual at work w/ modded bmsbatt charger, then rode in extreme wind using 5.6ah.

towards the end, the CA tot voltage dropped to 81V under load. :roll:

then at rest and the 20s pack paralleled up to 5s, cell one is looking ugly and has clearly been getting hammered, esp the weakest ones that make it up:
20130306_144859.jpg

i never mentioned it, but the new 4s pack i've got in series now is a 25c pack, so it may be acting like a bully in there. :lol:

advanced wiring Q: when the 4s pack is in series, which main lead should be plugged into charger? right now, it's the +, since the 20s GND is in a paired bullet housing with the precharge resistor. but i wonder if it wouldn't be better to have the + connected to the GND of the 20s pack... in that case the current would 'go thru' the 20s pack, no?

Back