GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

yeah, i just put a fox sticker on it for looks...
sorry I missed it on my phone...without the spring your alowed to slowly fully compress it as ther is no spring just compression...oush and pull (easier rebound open...to listen cavitation inside or not (mix of air and oil) if the canister is full of oil or not...

scooted past a mile of backed up traffic only to be stopped here:
[youtube]0bchKKQrTb8[/youtube]
i doubt the pres was visiting Biden's, just up the street. rather i'd guess he's on his way back from a PT conference at sidwell...

Edit: nope. he was getting interviewed and now mom's of ballet kids bumped from a performance are pissed.

dbaker said:
You are still on the pedal bike?
was just thinking of you! wondered if offer was still valid for the spare ebike - i believe it was a full sus cromo @ 96V? :mrgreen:

anyway, i'm punishing myself. pedaled four days in a row. i'm up to 186 and would rather be 170... my back has been bothering me a lot lately, and dropping lbs seems to help, or building ab strength.. tmi? lol

i suppose i could toss the old wheel back on, but i want to lace the new one, and i can't ride it until i get new connectors, on order from moscow.

if we get snow/sleet on sunday tho, i can't resist tossing on the studded tire (hs3540 on 26" psycho rim, remember that?) and having some fun.

dbaker said:
They swept the sidewalks?
not sure how long they took to clear it. up at the theatre where he was, there was a tent put up in the middle of the street!

anyway, this am on my commute, the camera men were setting up to shoot talking heads in front of the new mandela statue in front of the remodeled SA embassy:
20131206_075430.jpg

RIP Nelson Mandela

Miserable ride home in the rainy darkness :cry: I have 2 sets of studded tires mounted and ready to go :twisted: Cyclocross with 700c or 26 inch MTB :mrgreen:

I love the riding in the rainy darkness. Once I get out of the city, there's nobody on the bike path, the adrenaline from the speed keeps me warm. :)

snow today, so i put the bike back together last night:
13+-+1

notes:
- lacing the h40 not going well. spokes too short. regretting not sending it out for lacing.. :roll:
- coulda installed hs3540 w/ psycho and studded tire, but too lazy to rig up temporary connectors, no temp sensor that motor.... and, hell, the rear mofo tire ought to have some traction... :twisted:
- coulda swapped dirt tire w/ studded but too lazy..
- i like controller on forks but wires not long enough now and too lazy to... wires...
- added new fenders. performed ok. didn't see any splash up but it was snowing pretty hard
- schools and gov closed while streets still clear. hopefully ride will be more fun on the way home.
- replaced brown goggle lenses w/ storm ones. worked great but needed wipers!

Good luck with the slush :) looks like I will be using an ebike tomorrow :mrgreen: likely to be some ice patches :|

thx. and you, enjoy your lightweight FS 450W middrive commute with studs! maybe a pic at the waterfront?

i'll make sure to take a vid of me dragging the slush covered bike up the carpeted stairs and into the bath.... a la ivanovlev's vid

and i'll have to position the vid carefully to capture the ensuing brawl/divorce threats from the wife... lol

a bit of snow uphill in my hood, but nothing stuck downtown! thank goodness the gov't was closed just in case tho.. :roll:
[youtube]g7wMRzZlMTY[/youtube]

GCinDC said:
- added new fenders. performed ok. didn't see any splash up but it was snowing pretty hard
correction, splash up from puddles was substantial, requiring stop to wipe goggles... :roll:

i will definitely need to cover the gap somehow...

iv just received my max-e in the post. very exited :D :D :D ]

i read the oline user manual, as i was interested to see how the bms function works.

i did not find anything about it other than that the bms mode needs to be enabled, and i guesse the bms is a separate component which i havnt got yet.

how are you reading the cell voltages on the min-e screen? did you get a bms unit with your min-e? im sortof guessing so as theres no way the controller can read the voltages, as it doesnt have a ballence wire plug i know of....

i mean this screen:

charged, the cells seem balanced, here after sitting for some hours, but normally at 0.020V delta..:
20131028_150905.jpg

i'll have to check under load obviously...

ridethelightning said:
how are you reading the cell voltages on the min-e screen? did you get a bms unit with your min-e?
yes, i got a bms, and i recommend anyone who gets this to get one as well. esp if you have lipo. you will never want to go back...

i the bms now comes as one board, and you'll need parallelling balance wires; my beta version has multiple boards with parallel slots.

No need for studded tires :lol:

I have been enjoying the 48v Bafang crank drive with the Nokian studded tires. Plenty crunchy snow on trail. I was sooo cold coming home last night. Much better this morning with 2 layers of gloves, balaklavas, and jackets :mrgreen:

dbaker said:
No need for studded tires :lol:
not on the frozen crunchy snow, but on sheet ice, the tires have no traction. once the adaptto connectors arrive, i'll have a rear studded tire option.

psyched about that middrive of yours. very sweet. link to the thread where you bought?

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=50188

You can find them on ebay. There is also a vendor in SF bay area.

I got the 48v 15amp unit. I would get the 750 watt version now that it is available.

just checked out doc's evalbum and noticed he inserted all the spokes from the left so they'd dish the motor to the right:
3406c.jpg

i gotta say that's a major head-scratcher since i inserted all mine on my hs3540 from the right! :?:

again, here's the offset, shown upside down:
20131204_170151.jpg

so it seems to me doc's spokes will be pulling his wheel further to right, which would be the left upside down in my photo...

maybe he can tell us? :mrgreen:

in other news, i'm getting pretty fed up with crappy youtube quality of my supposedly hd vids. can you tell the difference between this screenshot (full screen 27" but scaled down):
Screen+Shot+2013-12-14+at+1.57.24+PM.png

and this full screen shot of the original gopro vid (60fps):
Screen+Shot+2013-12-14+at+2.27.24+PM.png

and the imovie 1080 export, both of which look identical to me:
Screen+Shot+2013-12-14+at+2.27.24+PM.png

they're grainy in the foreground but much more clear in the middle distance (tree bark behind wheel) and background...

compare the spokes between the youtube and the bottom two!

i'm researching how to improve it, cause there's plenty of stellar quality gopro vids out there that look super crisp via the tube...

i've been in denial about the 4080 lacing.. :(

i've also been a bit busy, but nevermind that.

the wheel is now centered enough in the rear triangle. here's a shot before i centered it a bit more:
20131207_113716.jpg

and just for giggles, compare the motor wheel alignment on one side:
20131214_151719.jpg

to the other:
20131214_151848.jpg

and while that doesn't bother me per se, the long side spokes are too short. see all that thread on the top spokes? they're not even halfway on..
20131214_151805.jpg

and even the short side is not close enough to flush with the back of the nipple.

i'd relace it with all the spokes on the one side, but i'm not sure i've got the length....

going now to read up on Rix's ERD calculation method.

as to the spoke length... i had an :idea:

now that i've got the motor centered, why not just measure the spokes on each side and then add for the nipples. here's the long side (tho a couple are 120mm):
20131214_161456.jpg

and here's the short side:
20131214_161543.jpg

and the spokes:
20131214_161816.jpg

so while i ordered 126mm and 128 mm, looks like i needed (120 + 16 = 136mm) and (117 + 16 = 133mm), or maybe a touch less to account for tightening.

so how the heck did i get so off?

if we know the inside of the rim where the tire bead sits is 19" and subract 2x the groove which i measured like this to get 9mm:
20131214_164736.jpg

and i also measured like this off the top of the spoke head to get 6mm:
20131214_162328.jpg

so 19" = 482.6mm and 482.6 - 18 mm (2x9mm) = 18mm) = 464 mm for the ERD from the inside of the grooves, or
482.6 - 12 (2x6mm) = 470.6 for the ERD from the tops of the spokes and...

...this should be an easy web search: how to measure the ERD of a rim, and like rix explained it's the distance between the spokes pushed into the wheel, plus the spoke lengths, so from spoke head to spoke head, as in (let me steal an image):
SpokeCalc_ERD.gif

so let me plug in 470 to the spoke calculator and sure enough:
Screen+Shot+2013-12-14+at+5.25.06+PM.png

so at least i know i definitely need longer spokes..

hmm, but i wonder if i can get away with the longer ones 128mm as the shorter ones, which should be 133mm..

why are ebikers so cheap, huh? lol

I thought the Effective Rim Diameter was the rim diameter that the curved side of the spoke nipple seated against. The diagram includes some spoke nipple length :shock:

Back